REAMDE Excerpts Available

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Waterhouse

REAMDE Excerpts Available

Postby Waterhouse » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

Hey, fellow fans, pardon the minor diversion, but were you aware that two excerpts from the new novel REAMDE are available on Neal's facebook fan page?

http://www.facebook.com/TheNealStephenson

Bonus - if more people 'like' the fan page, more excerpts will be released. The next threshold is at 5k and it's right about the 3k mark. So, pretty please, Like it up so I can read more. Thanks.

Now, back to the actual topic. I had a pretty unusual trek through Stephenson's work. I started with Cryptonomicon, Then read _part_ of Quicksilver, jumped forward to The Confusion (see, I thought I was done with Quicksilver since the copy I had was just one part of the whole thing. It was a little Confusing to pick up in the middle of the story, but still fun). Then the rest of Quicksilver. Then System of the World. Then I went basically backward through his earlier work: Diamond Age, Snowcrash, Zodiac. Then Anathem as soon as it was released.

So, maybe I'm proof that if you like his work it doesn't matter. I'm a huge fan despite starting in the middle and working my way backward and forward.

VectorZero

Re: REAMDE Excerpts Available

Postby VectorZero » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:43 am UTC

It's out now on Kindle. First impressions: comparisons to 'For The Win!' are inevitable. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

LoganCale

Postby LoganCale » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:45 pm UTC

It's only out on Kindle in the UK. My US preorder has not delivered to my device and it still just says "PREORDER" on the site. I'm rather disappointed by that, as I see people all over online reading and discussing it thanks to the publisher's screwup, but everyone in the US has to wait an additional three weeks.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:53 am UTC

Pretty sure I bought it from the US store. I'm in Australia, we don't have our own store, and I paid in US dollars. Although ... now I can't find it at all. Looks like I got in at the right time.

LoganCale

Postby LoganCale » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:00 am UTC

It looks like people outside the US were able to see it on the US store for immediate download while people within the US could not see it, and direct links to the same page people were buying it from resulted in "This product is not available in your country" errors. It's since been taken down everywhere as best I can tell. Oh well, I'll just have to wait as long as I originally expected.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

So I got this book yesterday. Thirty percent off, 25 dollars for the hardcover, a good deal since the (non-standard sized) paperback will be about the same price when it is released.

I love how Neal Ste-phen-son's name takes up 2/3 of the cover. What is the purpose of that?

But it is, really, an excellent book, so far, meeting my high expectations.

The pace is fast for one of his novels, which suggests that before the editors touched it, it was probably a 3k+ page epic. A shame it came out so anorexic.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:37 am UTC

Got this for my Kindle, halfway through and it is pretty damn amazing. Making me want to get his Baroque Cycle on the Kindle too, might be able to get through it better without having to lug around those tomes.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:38 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure there's some sort of exponential function, akin to Moore's law, which describes how each new Neal Stephenson tome is 50% longer and bigger and heavier and more effective as a makeshift bludgeoning weapon than the book that came before it.
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:23 am UTC

Finally finished it, good technothriller, contemporary issues, complete with all working shown (what else would you expect from the man) but...

it's not anathem or cryptonomicon or snow crash or diamond age.

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:36 pm UTC

Minerva wrote:I'm pretty sure there's some sort of exponential function, akin to Moore's law, which describes how each new Neal Stephenson tome is 50% longer and bigger and heavier and more effective as a makeshift bludgeoning weapon than the book that came before it.

He explained this at the launch/reading I was at. Reamde is two books. The Baroque Cycle was nine books. His publisher came to the realization that you can make more money selling them together all at once and then later separately as paperbacks at airports.

Dude totally autographed my e-book reader, too, and thanked me since his profits from e-books are considerably greater per sale than the physical books are.

I'm not sure comparisons to FTW are apt (I'm about 1/3 of the way through); FTW is a coming-of-age story that also explains speculative investing and financial marketing. Reamde is basically a story draped across Stephenson's Pacific Northwestern hobbies in such a way that makes them entertainingly profitable. And evidence that he has finally learned to write believable female characters.

ArchaicHipster

Postby ArchaicHipster » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:56 pm UTC

I'm about halfway through and a bit disappointed so far. Sure, it's good, but it doesn't really have that "Neal spark" that was there in Cryptonomicon, Snow Crash and the Baroque Cycle.
“It is in the deserts and high places that religions are generated. When men see nothing but bottomless infinity over their heads they have always had a driving and desperate urge to find someone to put in the way.”
-Terry Pratchett

Return to “Books”