Translation discussion thread!

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

dhokarena56

Translation discussion thread!

Postby dhokarena56 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

I've been looking into Dream of the Red Chamber recently. I'm on a tightish budget, so I'm wondering: should I get the Yang and Yang translation for twenty-five bucks, or the Minford/Hawkes translation for probably about three times that. What should I get? Is Minford/Hawkes really that much better?
Come join Dadapedia- the open-source Dadaist novel that anyone can edit.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Re: Translation discussion thread!

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

I have no idea about this specific question but experience has thought me that when reading books that are very tricky to translate, for example, very old ( like Dream of the Red Chamber ) or philosophy books getting the right translation can be vital for not only your enjoyment of the book but also your understanding.

I have no idea about the quality of Minford/Hawkes compared to Yang and Yang though so don't go by this advice alone.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Translation discussion thread!

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:50 am UTC

For Stanislaw Lem, look for Michael Kandel. The other translators were no where near as good.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Return to “Books”