I find reading boring. Please hear me out.

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

selfassembled

Re: I find reading boring. Please hear me out.

Postby selfassembled » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:29 pm UTC

Seeing a similar problem in myself, I think the problem the OP has is not one of a lack of appreciation of books, but a mild to extreme internet addiction. I have one myself, I'm sure many people do. Changing tabs and clicking links every few seconds is usually much more stimulating (in terms of dopamine output) than reading books; because we group them in the same category of information retrieval, the internet begins to dominate as a time waster. I'm pretty sure the countless hours I've spent reading articles, browsing forums, etc., has been less influential on me than a textbook or two and a book by Dostoevsky. Despite that I sometimes have trouble reading more than 20 pages at a time, I can't meditate as well as I used to, and my internet use has gone up dramatically, mostly because I'm required to be a laptop all the time for school work.

It's hard, it requires discipline, but we can find the old readers in us not necessarily by reading more, but by abstaining from the internet through force of will. I think discussing methods of overcoming this limitation might be useful to have in the forum.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:24 am UTC

Personally, I blame Cracked.

Christophoros

Postby Christophoros » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

thalia wrote:Sometimes it's like I can sense the book with my whole being, and I stop responding when people talk to me and I stop seeing the world around me. This has always happened - my Mum had my hearing tested when I was a child, actually, for this reason.
My whole family suffers from this. I've missed meals, bus stops, train stations and university lectures because I was too engrossed in whatever book I was reading to notice anything happening in the real world.
"Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake."

"Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement."

Never Forget

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

Christophoros wrote:
thalia wrote:Sometimes it's like I can sense the book with my whole being, and I stop responding when people talk to me and I stop seeing the world around me. This has always happened - my Mum had my hearing tested when I was a child, actually, for this reason.
My whole family suffers from this. I've missed meals, bus stops, train stations and university lectures because I was too engrossed in whatever book I was reading to notice anything happening in the real world.

I've trained myself out of it (mostly) - to the extent that I can be engrossed, glance up from my Kindle within a couple of seconds of the ideal time for my stop, and disembark in more or less of a hurry depending on which way the margin went.

I've missed my stop once in the last 8 months of my current commute...

Return to “Books”