Books that you're disappointed in after having finished.

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Megatriorchis

Re: Books that you're disappointed in after having finished.

Postby Megatriorchis » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I know people have posted this before, over and over, but after 9 years of being into Harry Potter books, this was just the most anti-climatic book in the series. I know that it was well-thought-out, and I know that it was planned from the beginning, but it was just too simple.

The last line should have been, "Well, that was easy!"
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:22 am UTC

The Metamorphesis. The entry that Rinkworks has summed it up best.

I agree from earlier on about Ayn Rand--she's obviously a great descriptive writer and I even like some of her ideas, but for fucks sake did she REALLY have to have Galt give a sixty page long speech? Really? Couldn't you condensed to, like, 30?

GabrielF

Postby GabrielF » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

Tree of Smoke - National Book Award winner and supposedly the definitive novel of the Vietnam War. Except that nothing ever happens. A bunch of indistinguishable characters sit on their asses in various parts of Southeast Asia over a period of like 20 years. And they get drunk a lot. And they make index cards of various bits of intelligence that they never seem to actually use. Reading this book was about as miserable and unrewarding as actually being in the middle of the Vietnam War.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

The Da Vinci Code. I liked it until the end. It was so contrived, I had a seizure.

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:18 am UTC

John LeCarré's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. There were some good bits, but I didn't see much of a point.
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:51 am UTC

Ringworld by Larry Niven. It's so famous that I thought it would be good. It wasn't a terrible book, but I just felt that it didn't live up to its reputation. Also, it talked way too much about luck being genetic.
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

sirkit

Postby sirkit » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:02 am UTC

Don't kill me but... The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

The humour just didn't jive with me.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:24 pm UTC

sirkit wrote:Don't kill me but... The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

I think that kind of humor was better in visuals. They should have made a mini series directly to the book (As in, no 80+ episodes, just enough to get the job done), it might have been better.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

They did make a series.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

Uncle Tom's Cabin. It's a classic, but it sucks. Also, Impulse; the ending was just not that great compared to the rest of the book
Spoiler:
Connor kills himself and nobody really seems to care that he's gone. I was disappointed by the apathy his death was met with.

Day Tripper

Re: I'll be a little more low brow...

Postby Day Tripper » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

WhiteRabbit wrote:Everything I've read by Steven King. He often starts off good, and his middles are decent but every ending is utter rubbish. my friend Catherine could write better endings than he can.

I agree. Bag of Bones by King was the book that disappointed me most. The beginning and middle were excellent, everything a great novel should be, and I adored those parts, but the ending literally turns into a drug trip. Nothing makes any sense. They slip into this dream world and everything goes all Alice in Wonderland (without any of the charm).
I compulsively edit posts.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Re: I'll be a little more low brow...

Postby MotorToad » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:35 am UTC

Day Tripper wrote:I agree. Bag of Bones by King was the book that disappointed me most. The beginning and middle were excellent, everything a great novel should be, and I adored those parts, but the ending literally turns into a drug trip. Nothing makes any sense. They slip into this dream world and everything goes all Alice in Wonderland (without any of the charm).
I've read a lot of King's books, It was incredible and Tommyknockers was really good but the endings of both were bad. I read Bag of Bones and I even remember liking the book for the most part, but I can't even remember what it was about. :) I do remember getting the impression that at the end of writing the book, it seems like he was staring at the dying battery indicator on his laptop and trying to mash out something before it went black. It's weird how the guy comes up with a generationally-cyclic sewer clown, makes it so real you can't help but be freaked out, and can't end a book with anything that makes a lick of sense.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:37 am UTC

Vanguard wrote:
sirkit wrote:Don't kill me but... The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

I think that kind of humor was better in visuals. They should have made a mini series directly to the book (As in, no 80+ episodes, just enough to get the job done), it might have been better.

Nope, Hitchhiker's just didn't work for me either, but I think I would have enjoyed the radio plays.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Return to “Books”