favorite lines/quotes from books

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Do you underline, highlight, or in some way mark your favorite lines?

yes - easier to find them later
5%
yes - I usually mark books when I read so marking favorite lines is just part of the deal
4%
no - writing in a book is desecrating a book
62%
no - I don't usually find passages that I find worth marking
2%
sometimes - only if it's really good
13%
otter
14%

Total votes: 510

Arancaytar

Re: favorite lines/quotes from books

Postby Arancaytar » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Firnagzen wrote:Terry Pratchett, like Douglas Adams, is infinitely quotable. They're fairly comparable, really, except that Terry Pratchett pokes fun at our world while Douglas Adams headed off at a tangent to reality. He got sucked down a black hole somewhere, probably.

Let's see.

And Detritus carried a siege crossbow that three men couldn't lift, and had converted it to fire a thick sheaf of arrows all at once. Mostly they shattered in the air because of the forces involved and the target was hit by an expanding cloud of burning splinters. Vimes had banned him from using it on people, but it was a damn good way of getting into buildings. It could open the front door and the back foor at the same time.

There were a few seconds for the troll (Detritus) to work out the spelling, a distant heavy thud, a sound like a swarm of hellish bees, and then a crash of tiles and masonry. Pieces of tile rained down on the square. An entire chimney, still with a wisp of smoke coming from it, smashed down a few yards from where Vimes was standing.

My god, Detritus, that's not a bow. That's a national emergency.

etc.

Paraphrased:

... and a few birds who had been in the wrong place at the wrong time, the wrong place in this case being directly above Detritus.

He called it the Piecemaker, I believe.

Edit: That was part of my post, not the quote.
Last edited by Arancaytar on Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

justaman

Postby justaman » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:12 am UTC

He no longer dreamed of storms, nor of women, nor of great occurrences, nor of great fish, nor fights, nor contests of strength, nor of his wife. He only dreamed of places now and of the lions on the beach. They played like young cats in the dusk and he loved them as he loved the boy.
From "the old man and the sea" by Hemingway.

I was set down from the carrier’s cart at the age of three; and there with a sense of bewilderment and terror my life in the village began.
The June grass, amongst which I stood, was taller than I was, and I wept. I had never been so close to grass before. It towered above me and all around me, each blade tattooed with tiger-skins of sunlight. It was knife-edged, dark, and a wicked green, thick as a forest and alive with grasshoppers that chirped and chattered and leapt through the air like monkeys.
Opening paragraph from "cider with Rosie" by Laurie Lee. Perhaps one of the most beautiful starts to a story ever in my opinion.
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri May 02, 2008 10:18 am UTC

puzzle
Last edited by lesliesage on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

dracharys

Postby dracharys » Wed May 07, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

I just read this today:

Dan Simmons, The Fall of Hyperion wrote:Such awareness as there was/
and there was little/
confined itself to spaces smaller
than the head of a pin
where angels once danced\\

(Talking about the first A.I.s)
When you see the robot, drink!

Greenly

Postby Greenly » Tue May 13, 2008 3:50 am UTC

In response to the poll:

When my college professors suggested I mark lines in our books to make class participation I recoiled in horror. Having a teacher say it was okay to mark books was like catching a Rabbi eating a ham sandwich. I slowly got into the idea, lightly underlining with pencil with promises to erase later, but sitting on my desk right now are books with tabs stuck into them, highlighter splashing on pages, and notes and questions in margins. I'm not sure where exactly this change happened, but somewhere around the time I read this:

Too often there is a chasm between our ideas and knowledge on the one hand and our actual experience on the other. We absorb trivia and information that takes up mental space but gets us nowhere. We read books that divert us but have little relevance to our daily lives...What you know must translate into action, and action must translate into knowledge.

Robert Greene, The 33 Strategies to War

Are you guys comfortable with marking as it helps you to profit from reading or do you feel like it takes away the enjoyment? I've read both ways, and there are merits to both, but I think ultimately it comes down to what experience you want to have with that specific book.

Skinnaird

Postby Skinnaird » Tue May 13, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

"The more I talk and the cooler I am, the more confident and hopeful may you feel, and the more you ought to wonder at my genius"

War and Peace. Tolstoy describing Napoleon's thoughts (I can't remember where. In a tent at some point, I think). It's my mantra...har...

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:48 am UTC

I've read this paragraph so many times over the past week, that everyone in the house is screaming for me to shut the hell up already. So I just have to post its sheer brilliance here.

Thomas Pynchon at his absolute best in Gravity's Rainbow wrote:He is the father you will never quite manage to kill. The Oedipal situation in the Zone these days is terrible. There is no dignity. The mothers have been masculenized to old worn moneybags of no sexual interest to anyone, and yet here are there sons, still trapped inside inertias of lust that are 40 years out of date. The fathers have no power today and never did, but because 40 years ago we could not kill them, we are condemned now to the same passivity, the same masochist fantasies they cherished in secret, and worse, we are condemned in our weakness ti impersonate men of power our own infant children must hate, and wish to usurp the place of, and fail.... So, generation after generation of men in love with pain and passivity serve out their time in the Zone, silent, redolent of faded sperm, terrified of dying, desperately addicted to the comforts others sell them, however useless, ugly or shallow, willing to have life defined for them by men whose only talent is for death.

I've been watching Trainspotting a lot lately, so I keep reading this in Renton's voice, which fit's perfectly. In fact, I've been reading everything that way because I can't get it's awesomeness out of my head. This also leads to a lot of desperate cries for me to shut the hell up.
"Personally, I'd never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you can't wear a hat." --George Carlin.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:52 am UTC

Three lines from the current book I'm reading, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, by Robert A. Heinlein.

One on the life of being under Lunar Authority:

"Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop dead— but first get permit."

On life in general that I can agree to:

I will accept any rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Finally, just because it made me laugh:

(On limiting imigration to women to achieve a 50-50 ratio) That had produced a Scandinavian shout: "Ja, cobber! Tell 'em send us hoors! Housands and tousands of hoors! I marry 'em, I betcha!"

Was most sensible remark all afternoon.

cooldude76
Location: North Side of Chicago, Illinios, United States, North America, The Western Hemisphere, Earth,

Re:

Postby cooldude76 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:"Chicago came on slowly, like a migraine."
American Gods, Neil Gaiman

HEY! I live in Chicago, and I've never had a migraine. Praise The Lord! :P

(That was from the first page)

Now my quotes:

From Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut: "Even as I stand here-- Crippled, Hobbled, Sickened- I am a greater ruler than any man who ever lived! Now watch me become what I can become!" Excellent Quote. Totally Applies to me.

I don't know exactly what it is, and I cropped bits of it together (OR I may have mangled it entirely), but its Calvin and Hobbs, and awesome:
"If heaven is a place where you can only do things you enjoy, what happens if you enjoy bad things?
Maybe Heaven is a place where its okay to do bad things!" <--- this line is moar accurate and moar important, but the other gives it context

On The Subject of Book-writing: I honestly just reread my small collection of books (I have little spare moneys (I am not a producer of my own cashflo) and what little I have usually goes to the bank (So I can save it for fancy stuff later in life), then books, then whatever else) over and over again. Okay, its not exactly SMALL but it's not moar than 100 books. Maybe not moar than 50, but I doubt it. Its hard to count them do to their scatteredness. ANYWAY: I don't write in my books, but I'm annotating things for Survey Literature class this year and I wish I had done it moar so noaw. Oh Well.

I am Will, poster of the Out-of-Context!
"... And How are Things in the Hallway..."
-- A Clockwork Orange.

If Chickens Were Purple...

Postby If Chickens Were Purple... » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

I've just bought Stranded, which is a compilation of twenty or so rock critics' essays on what album they'd take to a desert island. This is from the editor's preface:

He asked me if I would be interested in editing the rock & roll volume in the publisher's planned set of desert island books.
"What's a desert island book?" I asked.
"A book where we ask people from various fields what this or that from their field they'd take to a desert island," the editor replied.
"I don't get it," I said. "What fields?"
"Oh," he said, "painting, sculpture, the novel, drama, classical music, opera, jazz, architecture—all the arts."
"Architecture?" I said. "You mean, 'What building?' Like an out-house?"

About writing in books: Except academically, I don't do it, it doesn't enhance re-reading for me at all. If I want to read a book that I last read five years ago or whatever, having my old notes in it would just make me experience the book in exactly the same way I did the first time. What's the point in that? That's why I hate getting other people's annotations in library books, it's like when you're watching a comedy film and someone next to you says "Watch this, this bit's hilarious".

EDIT: Having said that, I have a collection of like 50 different Peanuts books, and as a child I used to fold up the corners of all my favourite pages. It's kind of nice to look back at those now. So I guess that's an exception.

Pit

Postby Pit » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

"Speak roughly to your little boy,
and beat him when he sheezes:
He only does this to annoy,
Because he knows it teases."

~ Alice in Wonderland

"Excuse me, young man, bur your car is on fire and you're sitting in it without burning and incidentally it's red hot in places"

~ Good Omens

"I still get nightmares. In fact I get them so often I should be used to them by now. I'm not. No one ever really gets used to nightmares. For a while there I tried every pill imaginable. Anything to curb the fear. [...] None of it helped. I think it's pretty safe to assume there's no lab sophisticated enough yet to synthesize the kind of chemicals I need."

~ House of Leaves
---

As far as tabbing/underlining books, I used to be scared to do it since I thought it would be ruining the book, or how the book looked. After a while, though, I started to just highlight certain phrases I wanted to go back to or something. I don't dogtag pages, and I'm still scared of opening the spine to far because they cause creases and I think they look too worn when I do that (then I get all excited over some part and I split the book wide open).

If there's a book I really like, I end up getting two copies, one that I can scribble all over, tab to my delight and write on, and then one I can loan people. The exception to this rule are my comic books, which I never loan out, never crease and scream at when people opening it to much.
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

smw543

Postby smw543 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

Camus in The Stranger wrote:As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself — so like a brother, really — I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again. For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate.
These are the final lines of the book.

Also, the "fish dream" segment from Catch-22, while too long to post here, is easily the most intelligent commentary ever posed concerning psychoanalysis, sex, dreams, the military, and, of course, fish

By the way, I never make marks in my books. I use a slip of paper as a bookmark and take note of parts I like on that slip, then I come back later and add the excerpt to my general collection of quotes and such, with a mention of what page (and book) it came from. (The process is nowhere near as anal-retentive as it sounds.)
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Subdivisions

Postby Subdivisions » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

One Hundred Years of Solitude wrote:It was as if God had decided to put to the test every capacity for surprise and was keeping the inhabitants of Macondo in a permanent alternation between excitement and disappointment, doubt and revelation, to such an extreme that no one knew for certain where the limits of reality lay. It was an intricate stew of truths and mirages that convulsed the ghost of José Arcadio Buendía with impatience and made him wander all through the house even in broad daylight.

Pretty much the entirety of One Hundred Years of Solitude (by Gabriel Gárcia Márquez) is memorable. Above is a particularly good example.
"Soon we'll launch an attack on technology worthy to be chronicled in an anthem by Rush!"

bennyprofane

Postby bennyprofane » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:50 am UTC

". . . but at the distance she, Flash, and Justin had now been brought to, it would all be done with keys on alphanumeric keyboards that stood for weightless, invisible chains of electronic presence or absence. If patterns of ones and zeroes were "like" patterns of human lives and deaths, if everything about an individual could be represented in a computer record by a long strings of ones and zeroes, then what kind of creature could be represented by a long string of lives and deaths? It would have to be up one level, at least -- an angel, a minor god, something in a UFO. It would take eight human lives and deaths just to form one character in this being's name -- its complete dossier might take up a considerable piece of history of the world. We are digits in God's computer, she not so much thought as hummed to herself to sort of a standard gospel tune, And the only thing we're good for, to be dead or to be living, is the only thing He sees. What we cry, what we contend for, in our world of toil and blood, it all lies beneath the notice of the hacker we call God." - Vineland by Thomas Pynchon

This one. This one right here.
"The single flower contains more brightness than a hundred flowers." - Yasunari Kawabata

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." - Isaac Asimov

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

one of my favorite quotes ever comes from the two towers
"No, sir. of course not. Beren now, he never thought he was going to get that Silmaril from the Iron Crown in Thangorodrim, and yet he did, and that was a worse place and a blacker danger than ours. But that's a long tale, of course, and goes on past the the happiness and into grief and beyond it - and the Silmaril went on and came to Earendil. And why, sir, I never thought of that before! We've got - you've some of the light of it in that star-glass that the Lady gave you! Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" "No, they never end as tales," said Frodo. "But the people in them come, and go when their part's ended. Our part will end later - or sooner."

I think that this is the best way to think of any story, we just get shown a small piece of a world, who's to say that the story doesn't continue until the end of time?

another good one from Snow Crash
I'm sure they'll listen to Reason
the explanation of which requires far more context than I'm prepared to give.

That's all for now.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

Liet Kynes

Postby Liet Kynes » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

If this has not already been stated:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little voice that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone passed, I shall turn the inner-eye and see its path. Where my my fear has gone, there will be nothing. only I shall remain.

Litany against fear

Dune by Frank Herbert.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:24 am UTC

nearly forgot another one of my favorites from the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series:

"oh sandwich maker from bob, life will be considerably less weird without you"

"You know, that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me for a very long time."
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

Alexius

Postby Alexius » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

Two great quotes on science, from two of the Big Three SF writers:
"In the name of the Galactic Spirit and of his prophet, Hari Seldon, and of his interpreters, the holy men of the Foundation, I curse this ship. Let the televisors of this ship, which are its eyes, become blind. Let its grapples, which are its arms, be paralyzed. Let the nuclear blasts, which are its fists, lose their function. Let the motors, which are its heart, cease to beat. Let the communications, which are its voice, become dumb. Let its ventilations, which are its breath, fade. Let its lights, which are its soul, shrivel into nothing. In the name of the Galactic Spirit, I so curse this ship."

And with his last word, at the stroke of midnight, a hand, light-years distant in the Argolid Temple, opened an ultrawave relay, which at the instantaneous speed of the ultrawave, opened another on the flagship Wienis.

And the ship died!

For it is the chief characteristic of the religion of science that it works
, and that such curses as that of Aporat's are really deadly.

Isaac Asimov, Foundation

Any technology, sufficiently advanced, is industinguishable from magic

Arthur C. Clarke

For non-SF-
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος

οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί' Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε' ἔθηκε,

πολλὰς δ' ἰφθίμους ψυχὰς Ἄϊδι προί̈αψεν

ἡρώων, αὐτοὺς δὲ ἑλώρια τεῦχε κύνεσσιν

οἰωνοῖσί τε πᾶσι, Διὸς δ' ἐτελείετο βουλή,

ἐξ οὗ δὴ τὰ πρῶτα διαστήτην ἐρίσαντε

Ἀτρεί̈δης τε ἄναξ ἀνδρῶν καὶ δῖος Ἀχιλλεύς.

Homer, Iliad 1:1-7

TheAmazingTD

Postby TheAmazingTD » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

Miss Tick Sniffed. "You could say this advice is priceless." She said. "Are you listening?"
"Yes," said Tiffany
"Good. Now... If you trust in yourself..."
"Yes?"
"...and believe in your dreams..."
"Yes?"
"...and follow your star..." Miss Tick went on.
"Yes?"
"...you'll still get beaten by people who spend their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye."

From The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett. It's definitely one of my favourite quotes.
And I put down that I never wrote in books. How could you? It would be sacrilege!
Belial wrote:I judge the worth of many human beings on a 5 axis scale.

2 of the axes are how much they like firefly.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:36 am UTC

Terry Pratchett wrote:He says, Don't you worry about Thieves' Guilds, This is all what you have to do, you walk along the streets at Night, shouting, It's Twelve O' Clock and All's Well. I said, what if all is not well, and he said,You Bloody well find another street.

Discworld has so many great lines.

As for the poll, I'm of the mind, that writing in a book is desecrating it. I like my books to look well read, but that mainly comes from breaking their spines or spilling food on them.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:05 pm UTC

Michael Lewis, in Liar's Poker, wrote:The traders performed astonishing feats of gluttony never before seen at Salomon. Mortara made enormous cartons of malted milk balls disappear in two gulps. D’Antona sent trainees to buy twenty dollars’ worth of candy for him every afternoon. Haupt, Jesselson, and Arnold swallowed small pizzas whole. Each Friday was “Food Frenzy” day, during which all trading ceased, and eating commenced. “We’d order four hundred dollars of Mexican food,” says a former trader. “You can’t buy four hundred dollars of Mexican food. But we’d try – guacamole in five-gallon drums, for a start. A customer would call in and ask us to bid or offer bonds, and you’d have to say, ‘I’m sorry but we’re in the middle of the feeding frenzy. I’ll have to call you back.’”
Nonfiction account of Wall Street in the 1980s.

ella mental

Postby ella mental » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:15 pm UTC

Donna Tartt in the secret History:
"Does such a thing as 'the fatal flaw,' that showy dark crack running down the middle of a life, exist outside literature? I used to think it didn't. Now I think it does. And I think that mine is this: a morbid longing for the picturesque at all costs."

Chris Morris in his collected columns about a suicidal man's diary:
"I've contemplated taking my own life before but it wasn't like this. I was 23, watching my girlfriend destroy herself with heroin and had just lost two friends in a road accident. Why did I stop myself then but not now? I had more reason to die then. But maybe grand reasons stop you because they excuse your mood. Reasons are not the reason. You decide to kill yourself at the point when the momentum of being born simply runs out."

Ian McEwan in Atonement:
"Cecilia wondered, as she sometimes did when she met a man for the first time, if this was the one she was going to marry, and whether it was this particular moment she would remember for the rest of her life - with gratitude, or profound and particular regret."

Martin Amis in Yellow Dog.
"The royal carriage was filled with panels and frescos and gilding and ornaments- like the condition of being royal, always on at you about it."

I'm a big book scribbler. Not only do I underline passages but I draw motifs depicting the story in my favourite chapters.

LLCoolDave

Postby LLCoolDave » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:15 am UTC

"I'm tired of listening to this junk," said Mildred, turning from him to the announcer again.

Fahrenheit 451

Seems to capture the society described in the book perfectly, although it doesn't really stand on its own.

Melchiades

Postby Melchiades » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:26 pm UTC

I don't mark stuff, but my memory is good, and I can find my favourite phrases or parts in a few minutes. If not, then google will tell me the answer from a few key words. (:

And my most recent quote is from Neil Gaiman's American Gods:

"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are."
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,' " said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven. It said nothing else as they went through the woodland together.

This, after the raven was described and introduced to the scene by 'picking off bits from Bambi' (a deer's cadaver).

mypsychoticself

Postby mypsychoticself » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:02 pm UTC

I read to be aided in my lust--to be seduced to feel, to be lured out. I read not to be alone. I want for my day to be split open by a tidal wave of strange imaginings when I read, for something, anything, to break through. A book gains a place on my shelf for the way it forces me to remember. A sentence becomes locked in my heart for the way it helps me to forget.

From Awkward: A Detour, by Mary Capello.
I knew that we had suffered each as other,
And could have grasped your hand and cried, "My brother!"

tsevenhuysen

Postby tsevenhuysen » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

Arguably the most important line in The Watchmen graphic novel:

Dr. Manhattan to Ozymandias wrote:Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

rat4000
r/ratsgonewild

Postby rat4000 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

My all-time favourite one is from "Sandman" - so it's technically not from a book, but from a graphical novel... I guess it still counts, though.

Hob Gadling: I'm not ready to die. Not now. Maybe not ever.

It is, of course, far better if one has actually read the books/comics/things made of AWESOME up to that point.

Chuff
CHOO CHOO I'M A TRAIN

Postby Chuff » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:27 am UTC

“Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.”
-Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies
The Great Hippo wrote:The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.
addams wrote:How human of him. "If, they can do it, then, I can do it." Humans. Pfft. Poor us.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:46 pm UTC

kinigget wrote:another good one from Snow Crash
I'm sure they'll listen to Reason
the explanation of which requires far more context than I'm prepared to give.

That's all for now.

Aww hell yes. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

KyosukeMonet

Postby KyosukeMonet » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:44 pm UTC

My favorite lines from any book ever

The saint answered: "I make hymns and sing them; and in making hymns I laugh and weep and mumble: thus do I praise God.

With singing, weeping, laughing, and mumbling do I praise the God who is my God. But what dost thou bring us as a gift?"

When Zarathustra had heard these words, he bowed to the saint and said: "What should I have to give thee! Let me rather hurry hence lest I take aught away from thee!"--And thus [ 34 ]they parted from one another, the old man and Zarathustra, laughing like schoolboys.

When Zarathustra was alone, however, he said to his heart: "Could it be possible! This old saint in the forest hath not yet heard of it, that God is dead!"

From the prologue of thus spoke zarathustra - by Friedrich Nietzsche

Orsa

Postby Orsa » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face...forever - O'Brien

Favorite line from 1984.

Orphalese

Postby Orphalese » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:52 pm UTC

Khalil Gibran wrote:And a woman spoke, saying, "Tell us of Pain."
And he said:
Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding.
Even as the stone of the fruit must break, that its heart may stand in the sun, so must you know pain.
And could you keep your heart in wonder at the daily miracles of your life, your pain would not seem less wondrous than your joy;
And you would accept the seasons of your heart, even as you have always accepted the seasons that pass over your fields.
And you would watch with serenity through the winters of your grief.
Much of your pain is self-chosen.
It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self.
Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquillity:
For his hand, though heavy and hard, is guided by the tender hand of the Unseen,
And the cup he brings, though it burn your lips, has been fashioned of the clay which the Potter has moistened with His own sacred tears.

From The Prophet.

CVSoul

Postby CVSoul » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

Discworld is so incredibly quotable. Especially Vetinari. Like, in Thud, he gives a better description of Vimes than the normal 3rd-person narration usually does.
"Sam Vimes once arrested me for treason," said Vetinari calmly. "And Sam Vimes once arrested a dragon. Sam Vimes stopped a war between nations by arresting two high commands. He's an arresting fellow, Sam Vimes."
kellsbells wrote:My other car is a plain, unmarked white van.

Alexius

Postby Alexius » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

My favourite Pratchett quote:
The gods of the Disc have never bothered much about judging the souls of the dead, and so people only go to hell if that's where they believe, in their deepest heart, that they deserve to go. Which they won't do if they don't know about it. This explains why it is so important to shoot missionaries on sight.

mindflare

Postby mindflare » Thu May 28, 2009 4:05 pm UTC

Just stumbled across this thread (apologies for the necro) and wanted to post the link to my site of quotes. I usually keep a little Moleskine book full of any quotes I like, and decided yesterday (after thinking I had lost it during the move from college back home) to put them all online. Granted, I'm sure there's a better way to do it than I did, that would probably make it searchable and look better and all that, but I don't really know what that way would be (though I am open to suggestions). Anyways.
http://randomquotes-andrew.blogspot.com

Also, I voted that marking=desecration. Was just kinda pounded into me from an early age in school and at the library. /shrug.
"Oh, 'twould be marvelous if the world and its moral questions were like some game board, with plain black players and white, and fixed rules, and nary a shade of grey."
~Croaker (via Annals)--The Chronicles of the Black Company

JonBanes

Postby JonBanes » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:16 am UTC

Charles Darwin wrote:in On the Origin of Species
It is interesting to contemplate a tangled bank, clothed with many plants of many kinds, with birds singing on the bushes, with various insects flitting about, and with worms crawling through the damp earth, and to reflect that these elaborately constructed forms, so different from each other, and dependent upon each other in so complex a manner, have all been produced by laws acting around us...There is grandeur in this view of life, with it's several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

This is the last passage in the book and the only one that contains such romantic language. It sends chills down my spine every time I read it. When I first read this book I almost got choked up when I read it, especially "There is grandeur in this view of life". It just conveys how I view the world (and how I want others to be able to view the world) so well.

effective_

Postby effective_ » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:46 am UTC

American Psycho wrote:There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.
I'm on the brink of insanity, between extreme intelligence and split personalities
But I elevate to the point of reversing gravity
Revolutionary conceptuality spitting out of me
Even the dead people in my family tell me they proud of me

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:38 pm UTC

Snow Crash wrote:Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial-arts monastery in China and studied real hard for ten years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, and devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad.
Hiro used to feel this way, too, but then he ran into Raven. In a way, this was liberating. He no longer has to worry about being the baddest motherfucker in the world. The position is taken.
418 I'm a teapot

Astonished Lemons

Postby Astonished Lemons » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

"Don't be ridiculous, Charlie, people love the parents who beat their kids in department stores. Its the ones who just let their kids wreak havoc that everybody hates."
-A Dirty Job

"Christmas crept into Pine Cove like a creeping Christmas thing: dragging garland, ribbon, and sleigh bells, oozing eggnog, reeking of pine, and threatening festive doom like a cold sore under the mistletoe."
-The Stupidest Angel

Both by Christopher Moore.

Shinobi
Location: The uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the galaxy

Postby Shinobi » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:08 pm UTC

Instead of writing in books, I memorise their position on the page and whereabouts in the book. I find it works pretty well, but maybe that has something to do with the fact that a lot of my favourite quotes from books come either from the very beginning or the very end.

And here's a quote, one that just feels so monumental to me:
"Probably it was some final guest who had been away at the ends of the earth and didn't know that the party was over."
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Return to “Books”