Books you never finished

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

clayasaurus

Re: Books you never finished

Postby clayasaurus » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:06 am UTC

Emma by Jane Austen

fuck that shit.
I lie down in fields and listen to Underworld a lot.

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

I've never read through Lord of the Rings.

(No comment.)
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

Ivanhoe, Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, super-compressed edition (I almost made it!), Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

Rowsdower

Postby Rowsdower » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

Mein Kampf. It is so long and about nothing. So boring.
Image Save the dragon! Clickie!

fransisco4

Postby fransisco4 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:46 am UTC

Rendezvous with Rama-too young
Farenheith 451-too young, fixing that mistake tonight.
Third book on a series of book by Lewis. It had planets and stuff.
Ficciones-Borges, im reading it on little parts.
A series of book about a machine that can control the weather.
Update: Lisey Story
War of the worlds
Bradbury shors stories

I don't know what many of you find so hard about reading LotR, just finished reading them a week ago and they are great.
Guy that said that the ending was unnesecary- The cleaning of the Shire is one of the best parts, and has some MAJOR plot development. Unlike Bombadil.
Last edited by fransisco4 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:19 am UTC

the only one I can think of at the moment is the second book of the wheel of time series. The first was good and I finished it in less than a week, but I had severe trouble making it through the second, mainly because it was very poorly written, but I'm still figuring out reasons why I didn't like the book. It made me sad that a book as amazing as the eye of the world should be appended by such a bad book. I wanted to reach through the book and strangle about half the cast by the second chapter.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

rustedneurons

Postby rustedneurons » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:19 am UTC

Manufacturing Consent (Noam Chomksy) - I got about halfway through it, then started something else. I'll finish it oneday though.

maxfischer

Postby maxfischer » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:28 am UTC

I like how so many people, like myself, just couldn't get through Heart of Darkness. It's pretty short...

I absolutely adore Milan Kundera but I just can't finish "The Joke." I've tried so many times!
I couldn't finish Confederacy of Dunces either.
I don't finish a lot of books...

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

Got halfway through the last Harry Potter book and said "fuck this." Then I picked up the Dresden Files and never looked back.

Libertine

Postby Libertine » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:45 pm UTC

I never finished "Godel Escher Bach" by Hofstadter or "Kafka on the Shore" by Murakami. I've got a bad habit of just looking up the ending on Wikipedia if I get bored/curious. I stopped reading Marcus Aurelius's "Meditations" with only about 10 pages left but it's repetitive so I don't think I'm missing much.
"Libertine has come to mean one devoid of any restraints, especially one who ignores or even spurns religious norms, accepted morals, and forms of behaviour sanctioned by the larger society." - Wikipedia

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

I started reading two different Issac Asimov books, ( I forget which two)
and was unable to finish either, because even though his story lines were cool, his writing style is boring.

Ixtellor
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Liet Kynes

Postby Liet Kynes » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

HGTG 4 and 5- they we're more confusing than the other 3 and I in't feel like finishing.

Hollandb

Postby Hollandb » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:58 am UTC

I don't think I ever finished "Shadow of the Giant" by Orson Scott Card. I don't know why, I guess I just forgot to finish reading it. I really should some time, he's an excellent writer, and that is an extraordinary series of books.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:14 pm UTC

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

I'm sorry. I really am. I trudged through Gravity's Rainbow somehow but this just owned me at about page 300. Too long; too much stuff, and damn if I know what's going on anymore. I'll pick it back up over Winter Break.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

anouk

Postby anouk » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky; I forced myself to read until just after the crime, and then I just couldn't of cared less what happened.
Portrait Of An Artist As A Young Man; I can't even remember what it was about.
The Wall Jumper; No plot, and if one would seldom appear, it would disappear as fast as I could read it. I put it down with 30 pages to go (it was fairly short to begin with).
Someone say something funny please, I need a new signature.

Averazul

Postby Averazul » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:03 pm UTC

i started reading lord of the rings, but stopped about 10 or 20 pages short of finishing the fellowship part of it. But then, i was reading them all together in one large book. If i had been reading the fellowship in it's own book, i woulda finished the last 10 pages just to be done with it.

I really just stopped reading because of the inconsistent degrees of detail used in the book. My favorite example is crossing the bridge of khazad dum in moria. The part bursts into a large cavern, with this many stalactites like this, and stalagmites like that, and there's a chasm bout this wide and sloping a little like this, the bridge was about this long, arched to such a degree, a little narrower here than there, and some goblins off on the wall shooting arrows, and a slighte breeze, and then aragorn crossed, then the hobits, boromir, legolas, gimli, then gandalf broke the bridge under the balrog and it pulled him down too, then everone emerges into sunight and there's rocks here and trees there and a river like thats and the grass in the breeze and the birds do this and the sun is at some angle and the clouds thusly and blah blah blah.

It was about 30 pages later that they were all having a discussion about something important to thier journey and i noticed gandalf was being unusually quiet. I flipped back some and saw that he was dead, which explained a lot.

Also, the whole balrog/moria thing seemed like a trick (on gandalf's part). he says "Oh we simply mustn't go thru moria, that would be far too dangerous but i will not say why! /reverse psychology/ Oh alright, let's go to moria. Oh look a balrog! Well, you guys go ahead, i'll stay and fight the beast! The 'defeated the balrog' badge is the last badge i need before i can become a white wizard! i'll meet up with you guys later"

Immortal_Z

Postby Immortal_Z » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:26 am UTC

I never managed to finish The Return of the King simply because it started to get too thick. Instead of reading normally, I found myself sludging through the language. Not for me.

Inkheart and Inkdeath.. I read Inkspell cover to cover, but not the first or third books. Translated from German. I am fairly sure they lost a lot of their charm during that
An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Minchandre

Postby Minchandre » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:49 am UTC

Immortal_Z wrote:I never managed to finish The Return of the King simply because it started to get too thick. Instead of reading normally, I found myself sludging through the language. Not for me.

Inkheart and Inkdeath.. I read Inkspell cover to cover, but not the first or third books. Translated from German. I am fairly sure they lost a lot of their charm during that

I could never hack Two Towers! Somehow, whenever I got halfway through or so I just couldn't take it anymore. I tried like three times. Having heard your confession, I feel better about mine.

EDIT: I also agree with Averazul's sentiments. The end of Fellowship seemed kinda tacked on...it should have ended as a cliffhanger with the Balrog being vanquished. Hell of a climax.

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

All books my english teachers assigned to me that I actually started. The list is long and has: MacBeth, The Hatchet, Tale of Two Cities, and Romeo and Juliet
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!
Roĝer wrote:While bunnies taste better, nothing beats the desperate death cry of a puppy, especially when accompanied with the grinding of a chainsaw on canine bones.

yolesaber

Postby yolesaber » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

Great Expectations. Eh, it just wasn't what I hoped for.

1hitcombo

Postby 1hitcombo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:08 am UTC

yolesaber wrote:Great Expectations. Eh, it just wasn't what I hoped for.

I thought Great Expectations was ok when I read it in high school. I couldn't get through David Copperfield on my own though. It's tough to read something so dense and wordy without getting bored and tired. From what I've read (about 1/3) there were some really good parts but all of it was engulfed by really dull parts.

Absolute

Postby Absolute » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:30 am UTC

Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, I suffered through the whole thing in english, tried reading the original German when I was in A.P. Deutsch 3 in high school. It was hopeless, German must be the easiest language with which to be (deliberately?) incomprehensible. Of course, now I don't remember much German at all, so I couldn't finish it if I wanted to. Pity.
Come to think of it, I haven't read any philosophical work all the way through in years. I've been spoiled by reading a philosopher who, being a non-native speaker, lacks the mastery of English required to be truly unintelligible.

Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations, skimmed what I thought were the important parts, didn't really understand it until I recently read P.J. O'Rourke on The Wealth of Nations. If anyone reading this ever gets Wealth as assigned reading, skip it and just read O'Rourke, it has all the important parts and then some, and it's funny as hell.

John Milton's Paradise Lost Ugh.
Tolkien's Silmarillion see above.

The Color of Water by some idiot, Their Eyes Were Watching God by some other idiot, and a bunch of other hackneyed sob stories assigned in school. Everything I've ever started by Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Anne Rice(wtf was I thinking), or Michael Crichton. Once I can tell how a story will end, it takes humor, prose, or ideas to keep me reading, none of the above has any.
"To the intransigent mind, to the inviolate truth"

I don't really have "mornings", so much as "times when I switch from booze to coffee"

Mysidic

Postby Mysidic » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:43 am UTC

"The Gulag Archipelago" by Alexander Solzhenitsyn. I only have the first part of it.

I got through the first four chapters easily, but stopped around the fifth. I pick it up every now and then, but I'm not sure I'll ever finish it in my lifetime. It seems that I have to pause at the end of every chapter, and think about it, let how terrible the prisons were sink in. By the time I'm ready for a new chapter, I'm reading something else. Only book that I like that I can't finish. :-/
""Thou shalt not lie": in other words, beware, my dear philosopher, of telling the truth." ~Nietzche

jferry

Postby jferry » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:56 am UTC

Atlas Shrugged

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

jferry wrote:Atlas Shrugged

You should go finish that, RIGHT NOW!
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!
Roĝer wrote:While bunnies taste better, nothing beats the desperate death cry of a puppy, especially when accompanied with the grinding of a chainsaw on canine bones.

Absolute

Postby Absolute » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:00 am UTC

Agreed, I know it's poorly written in places, but it's the book which is most unfair to judge without finishing.
"To the intransigent mind, to the inviolate truth"

I don't really have "mornings", so much as "times when I switch from booze to coffee"

mikhail

Re:

Postby mikhail » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

joeframbach wrote:Catch 22. I read about 80 pages, and when I realized it wasn't going anywhere, I put it down.

Arabella wrote:I haven't finished a million books. I start a lot. and read a lot. but the lot i start is more. Notably: Catch 22, Jude the Obscure, lots of science ones, mostly it's not because i don;t think i would like them if i finisehd them, usually it's because something easier and quicker came along or i got distracted. I liked bits of Catch 22 i just fuond it impossible to keep going because tehre didn't seem to be a plot to follow.

MisterKwiz wrote:
joeframbach wrote:Catch 22. I read about 80 pages, and when I realized it wasn't going anywhere, I put it down.

God I love that book.

...Wait I haven't finished it either.

invadermonks wrote:Catch 22 - I found the attempt at humor more annoying than funny, and any time I mention it I feel like I'm the only person who disliked the book ( a lot of my friends cite it as the only book they had to read in high school they enjoyed)

Kendo_Bunny wrote:See, I never saw Catch-22's humor as universal. I love that book. My sister hates it. We even have fairly similar senses of humor, but it's one of those things that you do or don't find funny.

I started reading Catch-22 in my very early teens, I think, maybe even earlier, and gave up on it after less than a hundred pages. I've long intended to pick up a copy again.

I don't stop reading many books, though some take forever to get through. I tend to read anything up to about eight books in parallel, and anything I'm finding slow going can just get deprioritised. There are a few exceptions:
Tom Clancy's Executive Orders. I read most of his books as a teenager. As literature, they're shit, but some of them are decent pageturners, and they take a while to get through, mostly because they're longer than telephone directories. I got to this one, read 150 pages, was bored out of my tree, realised that I was less than a tenth of the way through the book and gave it away. Unlike Catch 22, I've never felt any urge to return to it.

zenten wrote:Moby Dick, second worst novel I've ever read. I stopped reading it during the multipage essay on why whales are fish, as I kept on falling asleep before I could finish the page. I was trying to read that page over an entire week.

Adalwolf wrote:Moby Dick (started reading it in middle school, never picked it up again)

Moby Dick. Ugh. I gave up on that after maybe 50 pages. It was so dull, it kept putting me to sleep. Again, I was reasonably young at the time, but still, I can't bring myself to try it again.

hideki101 wrote:Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Proof in my opinion that school hates us. the only book I've not finished, and the only book to put me to sleep. His other books were ok, but that one is just BORING.

1hitcombo wrote:
yolesaber wrote:Great Expectations. Eh, it just wasn't what I hoped for.

I thought Great Expectations was ok when I read it in high school.

When I was in school, we had to read a novel for the state exam (for kids about 15 or 16). The class started going through Jane Eyre. It was awful. We hated it.
At the same time, our teacher gave us a list of about 20-30 classic books to read. We had to read a few of them and write reports. One of the ones I picked up was Great Expectations. As we never actually got more than about half way through Jane Eyre, I had to answer questions in the state exam on Great Expectations. It was bad, but Jane Eyre was far, far worse.

anouk wrote:Portrait Of An Artist As A Young Man; I can't even remember what it was about.

I read it all for my end of high school state exam. It's awful. I'm Irish, and I've grown to hate Joyce more than Cromwell.

Libertine wrote:I never finished "Godel Escher Bach" by Hofstadter.

I keep meaning to finish that one myself.

BlueEyedGreen

The Never-Ending Stories (Dickens, Tolstoy, etc)

Postby BlueEyedGreen » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:43 pm UTC

I began The Pickwick Papers a full six years ago, and never finished it. I began War & Peace two years ago, and never finished it. I'm not generally one of those people who can never finish a book, but those two were so long that life got in the way and they were swept by the wayside. I really enjoyed myself reading them - War & Peace was looking like it could be one of my favorite novels ever, and The Pickwick Papers had some of Dickens' best characters, if you ask me - but they're just too much for a slow reader, such as myself, in a turbulent world, such as this.
Anyone else have tales of unfinished books?

apoklips

Re: The Never-Ending Stories (Dickens, Tolstoy, etc)

Postby apoklips » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:45 pm UTC

I started The Brothers Karamazov and made it about 500 or so pages in. It was fairly enjoyable, I just got distracted by other things. I still intend on finishing it, though. One day. Probably not soon.
"Wow, sarcasm! That's original..." - Dr. Horrible

NO1PCKTHS

Postby NO1PCKTHS » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

I started Dante's Divine Comedy, stopped about 3/4 of the way through Inferno. It'll have to wait until after college. AE doesn't equate to having time to read.
[math]\pi^2e\varphi - \sqrt{2} = 41.995[/math] so close...

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:13 am UTC

I barely managed to start War & Peace, let alone finish it :P But I was only 15 when I tried; might get a bit further now.

I never quite made it through Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I loved the book, and I tried so hard, and I nearly got all the way through, but just never quite made it. And then I had the ending spoilered a couple of years later :( I should totally try again.

The Silmarillion is another that tends to bog me down. I've given it several red-hot goes, but in the end I gave it up.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:42 am UTC

I finished Anna Karenina and have considered the matter of these long novels closed.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:51 am UTC

<This post was redundant after the merge>
Last edited by Amnesiasoft on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:25 pm UTC

The two I'm worst at were, or are, Crime And Punishment and Gravity's Rainbow. I've read far longer and slower books. War And Peace was a pleasure cover to cover. But for some reason these two just won't make it, no matter how many times I try. I'm on hiatus from Ulysses right now while I put together a portfolio of music. Hopefully I'll get back to it. I hat how much I love these books, but don't keep reading.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:10 pm UTC

Adalwolf wrote:The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand- I absolutely despise this book! I got halfway through it before I threw it down. I should have done it sooner! What a waste of time!

I'm currently reading that book now. I really loved Atlas Shrugged (though I want to make it clear that Rand's view on sex is right down crazy and I don't agree with some of her views) but that book was amazing. Great characters, compelling storyline, everything. So I thought about reading her other masterpiece, The Fountainhead. I'm not even halfway and it's the most boring piece of crap I've ever read. It makes me wish I was illiterate. The book is just dull, the characters make me sick (Keating can't even take a crap without getting Roark's approval.) I know what some of you might say, that I think that way about them because that's the way it was written, and that might be true yes, but I find myself not caring at all for any of the characters, except for Roark, who is not even on the book that much (at least from what I've been reading).Anyways, sorry for rambling; I will finish it though because I think the theme of the book is interesting, but I really doubt that I will pick it up a second time.

wanderer1213

Postby wanderer1213 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:11 am UTC

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea- It is such a great story/concept, but the insane profusion of novella-length fish descriptions and other such unnecessary digressions REALLY got to me after a while.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich- It is a great book, actually fairly readable, but it is crazy time consuming. I probably could have finished it if I had a few more months of summer, but once school started I was done for. Now its been long enough that I don't feel like I can pick up where I left off, but I don't think I could deal with restarting. Anybody else have that problem with half-read books?
Else, if you would be a man, speak what you think today with words as hard as cannonballs, and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict everything you said today.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Self-Reliance"

Minstrel

Postby Minstrel » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:15 pm UTC

Only book, aside from school reading, that I never finished was the second volume of Le Morte d'Arthur by Thomas Malory. I really, really wanted to finish that one, but I just lost the heart to keep reading after a while. Seemed like the same thing page after page after page, knights attacking castles and each other and smiting each other constantly, and occasionally a tournament happens. "And so wherefore Sir Pelvacius did smite him unto Sir Claudius and whichthereafterforetowhen Sir Claudius did summon him unto his knights and smite mightily unto Sir Pelvacius" yadda yadda yadda.

Spinoza

Postby Spinoza » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:31 am UTC

Rudyard Kipling - Kim

Freiberg

Postby Freiberg » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:50 am UTC

The Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.

Well, I finished the trilogy itself, but I did not finish the other books. I got to the end of Foundation and Earth and stopped. Odd, considering that the trilogy itself was the best literature I have ever read.
Last edited by Freiberg on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:38 am UTC

emceng wrote:I have way too many of these.
Atlas Shrugged - I finished it, but I skimmed the last half. Jon Galt's 90 page rant I knocked down to about 10 pages.

I read most of Atlas Shrugged, but I couldn't find the willpower to get through John Galt's rant--even though the entire book was just one, giant rant (I jokingly call her Ayn Rant sometimes)

anouk wrote:Portrait Of An Artist As A Young Man; I can't even remember what it was about.

I got through it, with the help of Wikipedia and Sparknotes. I think it was about some guy who was tired and frustrated of his society and his religion, and wanted to get away from it all...

Amarantha wrote:I barely managed to start War & Peace, let alone finish it :P But I was only 15 when I tried; might get a bit further now.

I finished it after six months of reading, on and off. I think reading War and Peace kind of scarred me for life, because I now find myself uninterested in any sort of Russian author.

I also tried reading Ulysses. Three times. Then I realized that for me to even remotely understand the book, I'd have to set aside a few month's time of straight reading.
For all those who didn't finish Catch-22, the plot does pick up ~100 pages into the book. Plus, there are some really hilarious parts (notably the Major Major Major Major chapter). I think it's mostly difficult because there are so many characters to keep track of, because from what I recall, each chapter is essentially a new character.
Also, Stephen King's The Stand, of which I got about halfway through.
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

Return to “Books”