What are you readioactive now(and other book related stuff)?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Re: What are you readioactive now(and other book related stuff)?

Postby thefiddler » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

Phi wrote:I feel bad having the same book on my 'currently reading' status for so long.

As you should. You've been reading it since August.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:
diotimajsh wrote:This forum has convinced me to go buy a copy of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell ASAP, though.

It cost me $6... :D
Hey, I just finished this book! Funny, I hadn't noticed it in the thread before. Oh well, it was awesome. Now back to House of Leaves again.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:As you should. You've been reading it since August.

Maybe I just like to savor the good books. Ever think of that? I also read... Well, okay, I only read one book (the perks of being a wallflower) in that time, but still.
I need to get off of the computer...

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:47 pm UTC

I'd already read about a dozen books by Isaac Asimov, so I figured it was about time I checked out some of his Sci-Fi. Read Foundation two days ago, which I greatly enjoyed, and Foundation and Empire yesterday, which I didn't. So I might as well get into Second Foundation today and find out if this is a typical trilogy.

Also read recently: Heart of Darkness, the last couple of Ian Flemming's 007 books, and Heinlein's Methusalah's Children.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

Just started reading "A Game of Thrones". I'm enjoying it.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:59 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:
|Erasmus| wrote:
diotimajsh wrote:This forum has convinced me to go buy a copy of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell ASAP, though.

It cost me $6... :D
Hey, I just finished this book! Funny, I hadn't noticed it in the thread before. Oh well, it was awesome. Now back to House of Leaves again.

=P Conversely, I started Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell first, but then interrupted it to read House of Leaves. I'm afraid I find J. Strange and Mr. N. a bit less gripping, but it's still fun, and I'll finish it one of these days...
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:04 am UTC

Currently reading The End of Mr Y.

It's not really what I expected, but I like most of it. I'm finding it hard to identify with the main character though... her lifestyle isn't really similar to what i've ever experienced and the author sort of takes it for granted.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:04 am UTC

Just finished all of the Song of Ice and Fire books that are out, so started on The Count of Monte Cristo. Been meaning to read it for a while so I figure now is a good time.

Sea Ferring

Postby Sea Ferring » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:25 am UTC

About 50 pages in, pretty good so far, not his best though, not as good as say Haunted or Fight Club but I just started.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:49 am UTC

Just finished Terry Pratchett's Nation. A good read, and sufficiently different from Discworld, but it has a very humanistic agenda. I'd give it 7/10
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Pit

Postby Pit » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

Re-reading "The World is Flat" by Thomas L. Friedman. D: I think it's brilliant
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

crickets

Postby crickets » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:13 am UTC

Right now, my book for at-work is Four Past Midnight by Steven King

i'm having a really hard time finding new books to read. To the point that i'll read /anything/ that comes my way. Hoorah!
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

innisen

Postby innisen » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:58 pm UTC

My friend bought High Fidelity by Nick Hornby. She hasn't got the time to read it so I borrowed it. It's not what I've used to read but so far it seems interesting.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:34 pm UTC

Now reading Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, and it is very good. I'm surprised at how much more compelling I find it now compared to when I first tried it last year.

He makes sooooo many references to things I don't get though o.O. I end up looking up a lot of terms and names.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

MaybeAndroid

Postby MaybeAndroid » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:19 pm UTC

I finished reading The Yiddish Policemen’s Union by Michael Chabon. I wasn’t sure how I’d like it, as I have mixed feelings towards Chabon’s other books that I’ve read. Overall, I’d say I enjoyed this one, but there were a few things I had problems with.

The book is an alternative history, where following WW2 Jews have settled in Alaska. However, the settlement is about to end, and the future is uncertain for the people living there. It is a detective story with a very noir feel to it. It’s very well written, and there were lots of little phrases and metaphors that I really liked. There is also a very black humour to it, which is something I tend to enjoy. For the most part the plot was interesting, but there are lots of plot twists and at a few places I thought it was maybe a little but unnecessarily complex. However, the Yiddish-isms and cultural references were a bit heavy at times, and dampened my enjoyment of it in places. Overall though, it’s a good book, and I mostly enjoyed it.

Now I'm reading Excession by Iain M Banks.
'I saw a guy in Venice Beach. When I saw him I thought, is that Leonard Nimoy in drag? But no, it was not Leonard Nimoy. It was just some guy.'

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:50 am UTC

Apparently Munroe knows what I'm reading. I started this one just before Moonday's comic. :)
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

fransisco4

Postby fransisco4 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:34 am UTC

Just finished "The Second Foundation". Sterting "Dune".

MaybeAndroid

Postby MaybeAndroid » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:24 pm UTC

I finished Excession by Iain M. Banks; it's one of his Culture novels. This one is about the response of various factions within the Culture to the appearance of a strange artefact in space, with the main focus split between a rather dodgy diplomat and several of the AI Minds which are in control of the Culture ships. As with his other books I enjoy the imaginative plot and the interesting ideas, however I think this book suffers a little bit due to the multiple viewpoints it follows, as none of the characters end up as fully developed as they could have been. Plus, the main 'human' character is particular is completely unlikeable. In fact, the main thing I like about this book is the further insight it gives into the Minds and other AI forms of the Culture, which are one of the most interesting aspects of the Culture. Banks manages to give all of them unique personalities (as evidenced by the great names he gives them) and he can actually make you feel for the machines and ships as much as you would for human characters. Overall, it’s not the best Culture novel (in fact it’s the weakest one I’ve read so far), and it’s one with a lot of self-references, so I’d imagine it would be a difficult one to read without having gone through the others in the series first, but I did enjoy it.

After that I read Empire of the Sun by JG Ballard. Obviously Ballard is known mainly for his somewhat controversial SF novels (like Crash), but this is a semi-autobiographical novel about his time spent as a child in a Japanese internment camp in Shanghai. It was filmed by Steven Spielberg, starring a young Christian Bale as the main character, but I haven’t seen it yet (I rented it after finished the book so I’ll watch it soon). It’s a really moving book, and some of the situations and descriptions are horrifying, but at times it’s a bit lacking in plot and a bit slow. Overall though, I’d highly recommend it. (I’d actually read it before, around the same time that I first read Catch-22 and Slaughterhouse 5, so I decided to read it again after re-reading those books recently. Three really good WW2 books, which all manage to effectively communicate the same message in entirely different ways.)

I also read The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell, which is a non-fiction book about how trends start and spread. It’s interesting enough, and a fast and enjoyable enough read, but the arguments and theories Gladwell presents aren’t always entirely well developed, and there are a lot of anecdotal asides. I’m also not a fan of his tendencies to use The Capitalisation of Words to make up catchy titles for his ideas. But I was in the mood for reading some non-fiction, and it did capture my attention and I enjoyed it enough to pick up his other book Blink, which I’m reading now.

I’m also now reading The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. So those two should keep me going until the end of the year.
'I saw a guy in Venice Beach. When I saw him I thought, is that Leonard Nimoy in drag? But no, it was not Leonard Nimoy. It was just some guy.'

The Resident Expert

Postby The Resident Expert » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:27 am UTC

Started Neal Stephensons Quicksilver again. I had begun it just before this last semester started, but I couldn't keep up with both the book and my studies, so it was backburnered until the semester ended, and here I am.
Sapere Aude.
But it will void warranties.

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:55 am UTC

The Once and Future King by Terence Hanbury White, well I just got it Saturday I haven't started reading it yet but I will as soon as I get some time.
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:11 pm UTC

The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene. It's pretty heavy stuff, but I get most of it. New physics is so freaky.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:58 pm UTC

I'm reading The Mysterious Affair At Styles by Agatha Christie I love Poirot.

Some of Agatha Chritsie's other books are sometimes hard to get into, but through Captain Hastings point of view, it's much easier.
Anyways, it's a murder mystery novel with Hercule Poirot, the famous Belgian detective. He is usually know as being a small, silly French man. This is the first case that Captain Arthur Hastings and Hercule Poirot solve together. It's rather smashing and I love the video series the most.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:04 pm UTC

Right now, The Main Currents of Marxism by Leszek Kolakowski. A big doorstop of a book that I asked for for Christmas. I don't know much (or enough) about Marxism so I wanted a source to give me more information about it.

J3ssid33

Postby J3ssid33 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

im currently reading Mother of Pearl by Melinda Haynes, it is taking a bit to read unfortunately, taking a while to get into the story

Ele

Postby Ele » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

I've just finished some novels by Greg Iles and Alice in Wonderland, and I'm about to start Katherine Neville's The Magic Circle (high expectations for that one after having read The Eight) and Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid / Douglas R. Hofstadter, better late than never.

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

Currently reading a bunch of books:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Mariel of Redwall, Marlfox, Salamandastron, The Book of Bunny Suicides, and The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul.

I read bunches.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:28 am UTC

I've been camping, and managed to read a book a day while I was. In order: Frankenstein, Jurassic Park: The Lost World, I, Robot, Starship Troopers, Azure Bonds, The Wyvern's Spur, Song of the Saurials, The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, Tyrannosaur Canyon, and The Double Helix. Made it through pretty much my entire reading pile that built up over '08. The Spy Who Came In From The Cold was the only one I didn't enjoy, although Tyrannosaur Canyon was disappointing. Needs more Dinosaurs. The Forgotten Realms trilogy was far better than I expected.

The Lost World and Starship Troopers were my favourites, though. But it made me wonder. The lecturing was beyond obvious, but it didn't bother me. Is that because it's done well and in character or something, or is it just because I don't disagree much?
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Ralith

Postby Ralith » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:47 am UTC

I'm reading ,"A Mote in God's Eye"
Interesting first-contact book.
Also slated is ,"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" and ,"Guns of the South"
Oh! Don't forget more lovecraft!
I am a 14 year old who types at 60 words per minute and can read at a post-college level.
Please view my articles!
http://www.triond.com/users/ralith

Large Trout

Postby Large Trout » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:25 pm UTC

I have to confess that I am currently reading Twilight because I got morbidly curious as to why so many people on my favourite forums hate it. I also have to confess that I'm actually enjoying it.

BigBoss

Postby BigBoss » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:57 am UTC

I just started reading the Watchmen for the first time.
You don't give up hope just because something's hopeless. You cover up your ears, and talk really loud.

Tampons could be used to stop a nosebleed! - Tillian

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

Currently reading David Foster Wallace's The Broom of the System. Such a loss. God damn this man was brilliant. Pales in comparison to Infinite Jest, yet at the same time puts most other stuff to shame.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:07 am UTC

Currently reading The Raw Shark Texts because a friend with wildly inconsistent taste recommended it, and right after she told me to read it I found a copy at Barnes & Noble for $3.
500%!

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:35 am UTC

I just got from the used book store a series that's remarkable that I've managed to go so long without reading. I forget the series but it's by one John Ronald Reuel Tolkien. :mrgreen:
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:50 pm UTC

Reading Fight Club now. The movie seems like a very close adaptation, thus far. Lots of fun.

Read The Graveyard Book before, which was very entertaining.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

The Resident Expert

Postby The Resident Expert » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:56 pm UTC

The Tummy Trilogy by Calvin Trillin, which has inspired me to pester my father into taking a road trip with me to Kansas City, Missouri.
Also American Nerd by Benjamin Nugent.
Sapere Aude.

But it will void warranties.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:46 pm UTC

Death on the Nile, Agatha Christie.

I seem to enjoy her books quite so. I wish she would go into more physical character detail though.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:27 am UTC

Finished book 1 of 3 of The Main Currents of Marxism. Too much Marx at once brings me down.

I'm on to Myths, Dreams and Mysteries by Mircea Eliade. It's religious anthropology type of stuff. So far, very nice stuff. Eliade spoke Romanian, French, German, Italian, English, and knew Sanskrit, Ancient Greek, and Latin. I can only hope one day to know that many languages.

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:32 am UTC

Cytoplasm wrote:Death on the Nile, Agatha Christie.

I seem to enjoy her books quite so. I wish she would go into more physical character detail though.

I'm a nut for murder mysteries (please don't tell anyone, though, as I'm mostly straight), but the couple of her books that I've tried to read I didn't enjoy at all. She does too much in dialog, IMO, leaving out the reading bits I enjoy most. Thankfully the Poirot TV series was done really well so I don't have to read them. :)

... Thinking about that, I picked up The Hobbit just to see, he goes pages at a time without a quotation mark and I find that a lot easier to read.

Zealot

Postby Zealot » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:28 am UTC

I'm almost a quarter of the way through House of Leaves. An interesting read thus far, to say the least.

Noa

Postby Noa » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:37 am UTC

Currently, I'm working my way through The Snare by Sabatini and I just finished Les Miserables by Hugo.
Don't do nothing because you can't do everything. Do something. Anything!"
~Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

Return to “Books”