What are you readioactive now(and other book related stuff)?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:06 am UTC

Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. Still one of my absolute favourite books ever. I hope that they don't change things all up with the movie.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:15 am UTC

Just finished an Orwell trio (in one book): Why I Write, The Lion and the Unicorn and Politics and the English Language.

Next up is The Communist Manifesto because it was sitting 'round my parents house, I've never read it and I need reading material for the flight back home. Should be a quick read (my brother says it's a real page turner, and he's a consumerist whore); then I think I'll read Snow Crash.

EDIT: turned a comma into a semicolon.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:29 am UTC

aldimond wrote:Just finished an Orwell trio (in one book): Why I Write, The Lion and the Unicorn and Politics and the English Language.

Next up is The Communist Manifesto because it was sitting 'round my parents house, I've never read it and I need reading material for the flight back home. Should be a quick read (my brother says it's a real page turner, and he's a consumerist whore); then I think I'll read Snow Crash.

You mean you turned Iraq into Iran
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:37 am UTC

fjafjan wrote:
aldimond wrote:Just finished an Orwell trio (in one book): Why I Write, The Lion and the Unicorn and Politics and the English Language.

You mean you turned Iraq into Iran

Unless "EDIT" stands for "Expedition to Desert Inciting Terrorism" then, no, I don't think I did.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:06 am UTC

Political jokes are lost :(
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:43 am UTC

fjafjan wrote:Political jokes are lost :(

I thought it was pretty funny, actually. :D
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Babbler

Postby Babbler » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:35 am UTC

Evolution: The Trumph of an Idea and The Storm. Both very interesting.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:56 am UTC

I'm sorry... I searched for a while to try to get it but I'm afraid it went way over my head. I'm sure there was a point to the joke, I just totally missed it.

hint?

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:51 am UTC

aldimond wrote:

I'm sorry... I searched for a while to try to get it but I'm afraid it went way over my head. I'm sure there was a point to the joke, I just totally missed it.

hint?
Bush said that when history is written, Iraq will look like a comma.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:47 pm UTC

Problem with that is, America probably will too. And Europe, And Africa will as well. IF we take into consideration that EVEN IF Humans on earth survive until we are engulfed by Red-Giant-Sol, we won't have been around long enough to warrant any major entries by some kind of end-of-universe-history-writers.

Huh. It's funny because Iraq is vaguely comma-shaped.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:22 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:Problem with that is, America probably will too. And Europe, And Africa will as well. IF we take into consideration that EVEN IF Humans on earth survive until we are engulfed by Red-Giant-Sol, we won't have been around long enough to warrant any major entries by some kind of end-of-universe-history-writers.

Huh. It's funny because Iraq is vaguely comma-shaped.

Well it depends on how distant that history is. We think of the punic wars as sentance or two, and any of those minor ground claims by the romans are basically commas in the average history books.
In five million years the 1900 will be a sentance, and the cuba crisis might be a comma if lucky. In fifty years Iraq will still be pretty well remembered, how it will be remembered depends on how the next few years go. Maybe there will be an african war now, with christians backed by america vs Muslims in north africa and the middle east battling it out, then Iraq might be remembered as somewhat of a start point for that war.
Either way, saying that what is currently the main agenda of politics will be in the future irrelevant is like telling someone who had their heart broken that in fifty years they won't think about that too much. Doesn't really HELP. Bush doing it is alot worse actually, but boo hoo.

Lani wrote:I thought it was pretty funny, actually. :D

'
Yay :D[/quote]

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:25 pm UTC

I am now reading His Majesty's Dragon and am flying through it. This book is GREAT. From wiki:

wiki wrote:His Majesty's Dragon, published in the UK as Temeraire, is the first novel in the Temeraire alternate history/fantasy series by American author Naomi Novik. For clarity reasons ("Temeraire" is also the name of a character in the series and the name of the series as a whole), the book itself will be referred to by its American title for the remainder of this article.

The story is set during an alternate history version of the Napoleonic Wars, in which dragons not only exist but are used as a staple of aerial warfare in Asia and Europe. The dragons of the story are portrayed as sentient and intelligent, capable of logical thought and human speech.

The premise sounded kind of cheesy to me when I first saw the book, but I finally purchased it and couldn't be happier. Highly recommended!

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:05 pm UTC

Scrap what I said before, I am now re-reading the Tomorrow, When The War Began series by John Marsden. I feel comfortable reading Marsden - he signed my book (he was guest speaker at the book launch for the book in which a poem of mine was published) and it makes me feel like the circle is complete! I like circles.

But after this series, then, definitely, is time for Orwell.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:02 pm UTC

I just started Eifelheim.

Amazon wrote:A present-day scientific odd couple who are longtime domestic partners, physicist Sharon Nagy and historian Tom Schwoerin, look into the fate of the Black Forest village of the title, which apparently vanished in the plague year 1348, in Flynn's heartbreaking morality play of stranded aliens in medieval Germany.

I am also going to the bookstore after work to order the next two books in the Temeraire series, Throne of Jade and Black Powder War, as well as I Am Legend. (I have to order them because I have a gift certificate for a small bookstore in the local mall. They don't carry a huge selection, but they'll order anything I want.)

I am also reading The God Delusion.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

I'm (very slowly) working my way through The God Delusion and Breakfast at the Victory.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:13 am UTC

Finished "The Visit of The Royal Physician" (Livläkarens besök) and is attempting to finish "The Master and Margarita" by Michail Bulgakov

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:34 am UTC

Right now I'm rereading Sophie's World and I've just started into Son of a Witch. Son of a Witch, like Wicked, has been really hard to start. But I know once I read about 50 pages, I'll get really hooked and I won't be able to put it down. Sophie's World is just always awesome though.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:20 am UTC

Oh, geez, I read a lot independently, as well as for my classes.

Hmm... This is what I'm currently reading, I guess.

Songs of Innocence and Experience by William Blake
random poetry by John Donne
Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
Everything Bad is Good For You by Steven Johnson
Talk to the Hand: the Utter Bloody Rudeness of the World Today, or Six Good Reasons to Stay Home and Bolt the Door by Lynne Truss
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (One of my favorite books ever!)
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (Marvelous! I love it. I highly recommend it to anybody that enjoys art, politics, religion, and thinking.)

I think that about covers everything I've been reading these past few weeks over break...

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:08 pm UTC

aisling wrote: Sophie's World is just always awesome though.

I read that a few years ago...WOW is all I can say! :D
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

Detritus

Postby Detritus » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:13 pm UTC

Oort wrote:I'm reading Jurassic Park exclusively now. I love it.

Hey, me too! Well, except for the exclusively part.
Then I thought, "Man, I should have just said 'yeah.' "

dragonfrog

Postby dragonfrog » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:04 am UTC

Over the Hols I read Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures by Vincent Lam. Quite a fun read.

dragonfrog

Postby dragonfrog » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:06 am UTC

aisling wrote:Right now I'm rereading Sophie's World and I've just started into Son of a Witch. Son of a Witch, like Wicked, has been really hard to start. But I know once I read about 50 pages, I'll get really hooked and I won't be able to put it down. Sophie's World is just always awesome though.

Have you read Mirror Mirror? I liked that one better than Wicked and Son of a Witch (not that I didn't like those two).

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:29 am UTC

dragonfrog wrote:Have you read Mirror Mirror? I liked that one better than Wicked and Son of a Witch (not that I didn't like those two).

Someone told me that Mirror Mirror isn't as good as Wicked, and since I had already read Wicked, I decided that Son of a Witch was the way to go.

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:50 am UTC

Squeak wrote:
aisling wrote: Sophie's World is just always awesome though.

I read that a few years ago...WOW is all I can say! :D

aye, that book reminds me of being 15 and listening to john peel when i realy should've been sleeping :)

i just started 'lolita' by vladimir nabokov, i've only read a very little bit but i'm really liking the style of it so far...
slow down, you move too fast

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:59 am UTC

Heh. I don't wear makeup and have always had a good amount of energy/enthusiasm when talking to people, so for many years people thought I was several years younger than I was. In college people would sometimes jokingly call me Lolita for my penchant of attracting men who were easily two or three times my age.

I figure someday I should read the book and see it from the other side.
- Lani

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:09 am UTC

I love the name Lolita. I hate the way it's become a symbol for seductive young girls, instead of just being a beautiful name. I had an exchange trip with a french girl named Lolita, and honestly its my favourite non gaelic name ever. I would never use it for my child (in the distant future.. heh) for fear that she would be tormented by other children (teenagers maybe?) who have read the book.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:02 am UTC

The kind of people who reside on this forum would love Oryx & Crake by Margaret Atwood.

That book is seriously MESSED UP.

I love it, however.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:49 pm UTC

Margaret Atwood... did she write A Handmaid's Tale, or whatever it was called? I read that ages ago (surprisingly, not for school, for the very minor portion of HSCers to which that would apply) and I quite enjoyed it.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:10 pm UTC

Yeah, she did. Also 'the blind assassin' which I haven't read but is meant to be good. I have read and enjoyed 'oryx and crake', and mentioned it somewhere on another thread.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:57 pm UTC

As far as "messed up books" go, allow me to strongly recommend House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. Awesome book, and his sister's music rocks, too. (His sister being Poe)

In fact, her album "Haunted" is very strongly tied in with the book. Check them out.

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:53 pm UTC

Verysillyman wrote:Yeah, she did. Also 'the blind assassin' which I haven't read but is meant to be good. I have read and enjoyed 'oryx and crake', and mentioned it somewhere on another thread.

i saw 'the blind assassin' in a charity shop today for 60p, i thought 'i've heard the name margaret atwood... was that on xkcd?' i should've probably bought it, but it might've been the wrong one and i wouldn't have had enough money to buy a pie. maybe i'll go back tomorrow and get it, although i have more than enough books to get through...
slow down, you move too fast

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:47 am UTC

I might read that now actually. I have been wondering what to read next for a few days.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:09 am UTC

I just finished up Neverwhere by Neal Gaiman. Great book. I think I'm going to pick up a copy of Stardust next.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:16 am UTC

I read those not too long ago...I enjoyed them, but I enjoyed the Sandman series way more.
- Lani

Kin

Postby Kin » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:51 am UTC

Sorry, I've gtg I'm just posting this so i dont forget (I'm on my stripped version of firefox, w/o my sessionsaver!)

Err, quick note-

finished 1984, had been meaning to read for a few years

About Ender- love them. Recently was "wow! [creeped out]" when i looked more into the author. Weird guy.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:55 pm UTC

Dune, currently.

As for Ender...I try to pretend I don't know anything about Orson Scott Card other than that he wrote the Ender series.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

dragonfrog

Postby dragonfrog » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:04 am UTC

Decker wrote:I just finished up Neverwhere by Neal Gaiman. Great book. I think I'm going to pick up a copy of Stardust next.

I recommend the BBC miniseries of Neverwhere, it's quite interesting. Also having read the novel first, I found it worth watching a second time with Neil Gaiman's commentary. Actually, the novel is the novel of the miniseries - it was the miniseries that came first - so much of the commentary is about the process of writing a novel while the series on which it's based is in the midst of being filmed.

thedesk
Mathemagician

Postby thedesk » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:00 am UTC

william wrote:As for Ender...I try to pretend I don't know anything about Orson Scott Card other than that he wrote the Ender series.

Agreed. I read his Homecoming series a few years ago. Unless you're a Mormon propoganda enthusiast, stick with the Ender series.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:39 pm UTC

thedesk wrote:
william wrote:As for Ender...I try to pretend I don't know anything about Orson Scott Card other than that he wrote the Ender series.

Agreed. I read his Homecoming series a few years ago. Unless you're a Mormon propoganda enthusiast, stick with the Ender series.

The anthology "Maps in a Mirror" has some scary-ass stories in there. "Emenides in the fourth floor bathroom" is one of the scariest stories I've ever read o.o
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Maltheos

Postby Maltheos » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:12 am UTC

In no particular order I recently finished( for the nth time -- it been an oldies but goodies month.

Portraits of His Childrenand The Armageddon Rag which IMHO is the best thing George R R Martin has written, and thats taking nothing away from a game of thrones.

Blood Music and The Infinity Concerto/ Serpent Mage by Greg Bear (No one remakes reality like he does)

True Names and other Dangers by Vinge -- love that collection

and as my I can't find the book I'm reading book( I know -- I'm an addict)

Metamagical Themas by Hofstadter.

[/i]

Return to “Books”