What are you readioactive now(and other book related stuff)?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

nevskey1

Re: What are you readioactive now(and other book related stuff)?

Postby nevskey1 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

Ah, thanks. Looks like I'll be starting Infinite Jest shortly. Looking forward.

R.E. Illuminatus!:
Narsil wrote:Then again, there would have been no Leviathan, and that was kinda the point of the book.
True, but I could've done without it by that point. Oh, and...
Spoiler:
Did you notice how the whole thing was kind of a spin on Dante's Comedia? Look up the name of the girl Dante loved. This is also the girl that leads him to enlightenment in Paradiso. She takes over after Virgil has lead him through Hell and Purgatory. Hence the appendix in Illuminatus! where they say that knowing about that girl is a major key to the story. Oddly enough, I happen to be reading Purgatory right now, and I put all this together only as I started writing this post. Go figure....
"Personally, I'd never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you can't wear a hat." --George Carlin.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

So is George playing the role of Dante here, being led in an opposite route from Catholicism and structure to Discordianism and finally, free thought? Hagbard would be his Virgil, then, and Eris his Beatrice. I suppose that could work.

It's funny how GR takes this on too, when Pirate leads Katje through Hell.

Come to think of it, I think those books may be long-lost siblings. Thematically, they're very similar, a central theme in both of them being Freudian psychoanalysis in what motivates humans to do the things they do. The main symbol in GR is the Rocket, the penis, and Illuminatus! has the pyramid, which it claimed was a symbol for the vagina. GR, however, is a book largely focused on isolation, whereas Illuminatus! seems to be about the power of groups.

I think I may be on to something...
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:So is George playing the role of Dante here, being led in an opposite route from Catholicism and structure to Discordianism and finally, free thought? Hagbard would be his Virgil, then, and Eris his Beatrice. I suppose that could work.
Hint: the full name of Dante's immortal beloved is Bice (Beatrice) Portinari, who was quite young. This is the same exact name as the girl who takes over. But Hagbard did seem to play Virgil until then to George's Dante. Check out appendix Cheth.

The two books aren't even that lost. Illuminatus! indeed alludes to GR. As I recall, there's a parenthetical line in there somewhere that says something like, "Does Pynchon know?" I think RAW actually said that GR came out just a little before Illuminatus, so they went back and stuck in some references.

But in terms of the symbolic and thematic similarities -- yeah, they do supplement one another very nicely. (Almost too nicely. (Conspiracy?))
EDIT: The thing that surprised me most was their sharing of the John Dillinger theme.
"Personally, I'd never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you can't wear a hat." --George Carlin.

Mr. Galt

Postby Mr. Galt » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:37 am UTC

Just finished Lord of the Flies and was planning to read Johnny Got His Gun, but then I was sucked into the Wheel of Time....again.

I don't know why I keep coming back to it every few months when I know it doesn't end.

After that, I figure I'll read either For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemmingway or Crypto-Nomicon by Stephanson. I don't know much about either one of those though.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:53 am UTC

I've started reading Dracula. It amuses me greatly that the titular Count has a long moustache.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:Survivor was okay, I thought. Fairly par for the course with Palahniuk. "Derivative" isn't the right word, but it's the first word that comes to mind. I'm just starting to feel like all the themes he explored in Fight Club Just keep reappearing. I suppose this is true of any writer, but how many stories is he going to tell bout a maladjusted social reject taking gruesome revenge on themselves and society?

I agree, it's a problem with Palahniuk. His books all have the same main character. Well, most of them do. Nihilistic apathetic anti-heroes intent on self destruction until someone comes along and tries to fix them.

But, I really liked rant.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Boxcar Aldous Huxley

Postby Boxcar Aldous Huxley » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:12 am UTC

I've got a stack of books I bought/stole from my parents house I'm meaning to get through this summer. What's left is:
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (in the middle of)
The Complete Short Stories of Mark Twain
Farnham's Freehold by Robert Heinlen
Nemesis by Isaac Asimov
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe
I also have The Road to Reality by Roger Penrose, a book I've continually been meaning to finish for four summers now. Also, The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen, but I got bored halfway through and probably won't finish. I just finished The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz, which I polished off in about 2 days. Has anyone else here read that? It would seem to appeal some people on the fora (well, comic book nerds who know some Spanish, anyway).
"I was thrown out of NYU my freshman year. I cheated on my Metaphysics final. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me." -Woody Allen

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:46 am UTC

Red Victory by W. Bruce Lincoln (a history of the Russian Civil War)
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (kinda put that one on hold)
Some Conan books
Empire of the Steppes by Renne Grousset
a thicker than regular osprey book on the history of chinese warfare
and another thicker than regular osprey book on the history of roman warfare
Live with passion. Die with passion.

Al Creed

Postby Al Creed » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:45 am UTC

Just finished Me Of Little Faith by Lewis Black, started Apocalypse How by Rob Kunter.

Sebeka2

Postby Sebeka2 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:10 pm UTC

I've been reading Teresa Edgerton, her Green Lion and Celydonn triologies.

Celydonn isn't something I'd recommend unless you've already read and liked Green Lion -- fewer main characters to divert you when this or that one gets moody and I have a feeling that I wouldn't have liked these characters so much or understood the plot as well (or understood the geography much) if I hadn't been introduced to them all as side-stories in Green Lion.
Willpower lasts about two weeks and is soluble in alcohol. ~ Mark Twain(?)

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:53 am UTC

3 Among the Wolves and Wilson's Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy

protocoach

Postby protocoach » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:41 am UTC

I'm rereading the Song of Ice and Fire series right now; I'm about halfway through A Game of Thrones. I'm also reading Nixonland, by Rick Perlstein. Perlstein is a remarkable writer; he's managing to make me feel sympathy for Richard Nixon. I'd absolutely recommend the book to anyone who like myself is a political junkie but had the misfortune to be born in a much less politically interesting age. Also in the currently reading pile is Hit List, by Lawrence Block, and Requiem for an Assassin, by Barry Eisler, because I'm a sucker for hit man stories and Keller and John Rain are the best out there right now. Still hacking away at Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail, '72. Been working on that one for forever now. Just keep losing track of the book and then having to restart.
If I were a Viking god, I don't think I would fall for that.
But if I were a Viking, that's exactly what I would do.

How can you study geometry and not believe in a God?
A God of perfect points and planes,
Surrounded by arch-angels and right angles

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:59 am UTC

All of James Thurber's short stories, as well as The Gun Seller, by Hugh Laurie.
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

The start to The Gun Seller never fails to make me laugh.

Right now I'm dividing my attention between Foreign Internal Defence Tactics, Techniques and Procedures for Special Forces FM-31-20-3, the US Special Forces COIN manual that was leaked a couple of weeks ago, War in Human Civilization by Dr Azar Gat and, because after all that I need some nice and cheerful reading, I'm reading....uh, Orwell's Homage to Catalonia.

Damn. I need less depressing reading habits.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

quintopia wrote:and Wilson's Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy

How is that compared with Illuminatus!? I loved those books. I can never find this in stores, though.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

Finished survivor. Loved it. Great freaking book.
On to something else. Probably microserfs. That, or I'll read the new Palahniuk, snuff.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

neelakantankk

Postby neelakantankk » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

Right now I'm reading...

Thus Spake Zarathustra Friedrich Nietzsche. A very interesting book where Nietzsche declared that God was dead and The Superman was coming. Although does become very obscure at times It needs many readings to understand.

The Frogs Aristophanes I have it in my course. :P Classic Greek Satire.
Mary had a little sheep, little sheep, little sheep.
With the sheep, she went to sleep, went to sleep, went to sleep.
But the sheep turned out to be a ram,
Mary had a little lamb.

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

I can read Thus Spake Zarathustra so many times and still come away with new things. Maybe not as biting as Beyond Good and Evil, but still a philosophical classic.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

neelakantankk

Postby neelakantankk » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:54 am UTC

@Mercurius, I agree. Beyond Good and Evil was more biting, but that maybe because Thus Spake Zarathustra is so profusely poetic.

I want to read it in German once. :(
Mary had a little lamb.

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

Nietzsche's style is wonderful, no matter what language you read it in. Its almost a miracle, a German who understands how to inject ease, fun and life into his writing. I think only Goethe and Stefan George are comparable - certainly no famous philosopher from the country could write like him. Have you read Kant? Let alone Hegel or Heidegger...urgh.

moodyriver

Postby moodyriver » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:04 pm UTC

At the moment:

Smoke and Mirrors - Gaiman short stories. Excellent, and I plan on reading his other books.
The Red Badge of Courage - Re-reading.
Borges' Collected Fictions.

And next on the list is As I Lay Dying.
.....so, in conclusion, cottage cheese and chainsaws are a bad combination.

neelakantankk

Postby neelakantankk » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:23 pm UTC

Emmanuel Kant write. :mrgreen:

No, I want to read it in German because he uses a lot of wordplay and puns. That is lost in translation, I'm afraid.
Mary had a little lamb.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:26 am UTC

I just finished reading There is a bird on your head by Mo Willems. It is a beginning readers book.
If you have not read any of his picture books, do yourself a favor and go get them from your library. The Pigeon series is a riot, no matter how old you are!

Next up: Retribution, by Max Hastings. I'm in the mood for some military history, if anyone has some good suggestions for books on the battle of Leyte Gulf and the war in the Pacific, please let me know.
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:06 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:Gardens of the Moon - Steven Erikson

this. Just did a search to see if the forums thought the author was much good, and it seems they do. (I only just started)
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

I just got Feynman's Rainbow by Leonard Mlodinow. I'm stoked! :) I read Euclid's Window a few years ago and if I enjoy this half as much I'll be thrilled.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

I'm reading the Tome of the Mysteries. It is most illuminating.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

I just finished reading Solaris by Stanislaw Lem. It was fantastic! Though at times the prose was a little confused, I don't know if it's Lem's fault or that it is a double translation (Polish -> French -> English). I love the concept: a single entity that is the ocean on a planet; the impossibility of contact with such an entity. It's going to my mental list of books to re-read with a pencil and notebook on hand.

dclr

Postby dclr » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

Just finished "Rumo und die Wunder im Dunkeln" (Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures) by Walter Moers. I was a bit sceptic at first, but it is really a good read. Adventure, humour, well-developed characters and a good story - what else could you ask of a fantasy book?
The first thing I learned after learning to appreciate knowledge was that learning isn't easy anymore
@trophy wrote:Once you've asked, you've already won, because you lived authentically, even if just for that one moment. If she says yes, that's icing on the cake.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:17 pm UTC

the_stabbage wrote:I just finished reading Solaris by Stanislaw Lem. It was fantastic! Though at times the prose was a little confused, I don't know if it's Lem's fault or that it is a double translation (Polish -> French -> English). I love the concept: a single entity that is the ocean on a planet; the impossibility of contact with such an entity. It's going to my mental list of books to re-read with a pencil and notebook on hand.

I've not read Solaris but I would highly recommend The Cyberiad by Lem. T'is muchly good.
I'm halfway through I, Robot by Asimov. So far I am not disappointed. Well, not by the content at least (the cover has a picture of Will Smith).
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

Hit number 6 in the sandman series. Moving on to 7 soon. I really like it so far.

Please, please, PLEASE no comments from people who have already read them. Even if it's like "You'll really like issue whatever." I will figure that out when I get there, thank you.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

drock

Postby drock » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:36 pm UTC

Just finished 13 reasons why. Since I'm gonna be a young adult librarian, I kind of need to know something about YA books heh.

Other than that, Lies My Teacher Told Me, and The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.
"Hey, they're trying to learn for free! Get em!" - Simpsons

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

My time is presently split between Jarhead by Anthony Swofford and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

I will probably finish Jarhead tonight.

I wish Amazon would hurry up with my new books. They're taking the piss a little.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:13 am UTC

James Thurber is so awesome. Glad someone else is reading his stuff. I desperately need the re-printing of The Thirteen Clocks when that comes out. I hear it's soon.

I've just finished re-reading Neverwhere, and am now reading Neuromancer. Except having already read several other Gibson novels, I'm sort of having deja-lu. (I am now feeling like such a Francophone dork. *Sigh*)
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Semidi

Postby Semidi » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:54 am UTC

I'm reading A Clockwork Orange. It's real horrorshow like.
"If you can't imagine how anyone could hold a view you are attacking, you just don't understand it yet."

Kangaroo

Postby Kangaroo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

Right now I'm halfway through The Idiot by Dostojevsky, have almost read Crime and Punishment by the same author, have read about a hundred of pages of Conan the Complete Chronicles by Robert E. Howard and I also just finished Mort (yesterday night) and Sourcery (today) both by Terry Prattchet. I should seriously consider reading one book at a time... :lol: ;)

ThreeLawsSafe

Postby ThreeLawsSafe » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

I just went to the bookstore yesterday and picked up Dirt; The Ecstatic Skin of the Earth and Edible Wild Plants. The dirt book is a type of a tribute to dirt and it's really cool. I got Edible Wild Plants because I think it'll be really awesome when I get lost in the wilderness and can forage for myself :-D
That's not gneiss.
GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

meloncrab

Postby meloncrab » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:26 am UTC

I'm reading Stephenson's Cryptonomicon at the moment. With great amusement and .. plain.. amazement. It's my second read-through, but this time in English. The first time I read it was ages (i.e. four years ago) in German, and it's far more comprehensible in English. I've read the first two books (or, say, parts; as they're a collection of smaller books) of His Baroque Cycle beforehand, which makes reading Cryptonomicon a second time a giant literary orgasm. I really mean it.

carbohydrated

Postby carbohydrated » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

My Tank Is Fight!
By Zack Parsons [Yay for defunct WWII inventions]

and

The Long Ships
By Frans Gunnar Bengtsson [Yay for vikings]

s00z

Postby s00z » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

Mr. Galt wrote:Just finished Lord of the Flies and was planning to read Johnny Got His Gun, but then I was sucked into the Wheel of Time....again..

wow. Johnny got his Gun. i haven't thought of that book in years. i'm kind of surprised people still read it ... or at least contemplate reading it. i remember being impressed with Johnny Got His Gun. i was young (and naive) when i read it - probably 14 or 15 years old. i remember how it challenged me to question what constituted life - or quality of life i guess would be more accurate. to question what it meant to be humane, as opposed to human. to question free will - the right to choose .... not to mention the whole anti-war message. Dalton Trumbo was a really interesting person -better known for his screenwriting credits like Papillon and Exodus - then he iwas novel writing. he was one of the Hollywood Ten black listed during Joseph McCarthy's investigation into "unamerican" activities - no doubt being the author of a book like Johnny Got His Gun had something to do with that.

i am currently reading a book called The Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson. this book opens the morning after Kennedy's murder and goes on to describe the activities of about a dozen characters throughout the Vietnam war. the main characters are involved in intelligence gathering so the story revolves around the war and not the actual warfare itself; yet the themes - displacement, bewilderment, hopelessness - are similar.

i've not read Johnson before and i am really impressed with his writing style. he takes his time telling the story and winds round and round and round. the characters lives intertwine but with over 600 pages, there is lots of room to tell each individual's story.
there are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who understand binary code, and those who don't

s00z

Postby s00z » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

MotorToad wrote:I just got Feynman's Rainbow by Leonard Mlodinow. I'm stoked! :) I read Euclid's Window a few years ago and if I enjoy this half as much I'll be thrilled.

i read Feynman's Rainbow a couple of years ago. but cause i'm a Feynman fan ... not a Mlodinow fan.
there are 10 kinds of people in the world...those who understand binary code, and those who don't

Return to “Books”