Anymore

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Sizik

Anymore

Postby Sizik » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

Is it just me, or does it sound weird anyone else when "anymore" is used in a non-negative context?

Examples:
"Does this still happen anymore?" - Fine
"No, that doesn't happen anymore?" - Fine
"Yes, that happens anymore" - Weird
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Re: Anymore

Postby ahammel » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

Wiktionary calls the negative construction the primary form and the positive construction a colloquialism.

So no, not just you.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

"Any" and related words are usually negative polarity items, which means they can only be used in negative or hypothetical contexts. However in some dialects "anymore" can be used in positive contexts. Wikipedia has some more information on this:

Polarity item

Positive anymore

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

The ones from North America make sense to me, as a way of talking about something true in the present which may not have been in the past (the opposite of "not anymore", really). I don't actually understand what it means in the Irish examples.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

There is one positive 'anymore' construction in my vernacular: as a sentence adverb synonymous with 'nowadays'.

"Anymore, people can be expected to have cellphones and use text messaging."

In this use, emphasis falls on the final syllable of 'anymore'.
wee free kings

Return to “Language/Linguistics”