Is this grammatically correct?

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

free-bee

Is this grammatically correct?

Postby free-bee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:40 am UTC

I looked up some odd words and came up with this:
This mesonoxian message is copacetic to my brief absquatulate. I shall restitute my attendance of this assemblage of camaraderie within this nychthemeron yclept Wednesday. Hopefully this epistle has not been an enigma, and you have not made a floccinaucinihilipilification of it.

It is basically saying, "good night, I'll see you tomorrow. I hope you didn't find this neither confusing, nor useless." Is it grammatically correct?
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Re: Is this grammatically correct?

Postby firechicago » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:36 am UTC

Absquatulate is, from the sources I could find from a quick googling, a verb, not a noun. Presumably you could convert it into the noun "absquatulation."

This isn't a grammatical issue, but you're also misusing floccinaucinihilipilification, which is the act of finding something valueless, not the thing you find valueless.

I could also niggle with the way that you're using some of the other words, but then I suspect that clarity and precision of menaing isn't the goal in this exercise.

free-bee

Re: Is this grammatically correct?

Postby free-bee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

I couldn't really find much information on those words. I had to look up a few examples on how to use some of them. But the main purpose here was to create an enigma; clarity not a goal. Precision; not so much a goal, so long as someone could figure it out.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”