What Are You Guys Saying?

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

flannel jesus

What Are You Guys Saying?

Postby flannel jesus » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:24 am UTC

I signed up to this forum just to ask this question.

I've managed to deduce (induce?) a few things about the language you guys are speaking here:
ken ~ know
suffix -did = past-tense verb (eg say-did = said, run-did = ran?)
all conjugations of 'be' are just 'be'. Instead of 'I am flannel jesus,' for example, 'I be flannel jesus'.

So, what's the name of this english-like language? How do I find out more about it, and the rules?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: hwæt be eow Guys Saying?

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Currently, we are having a bit of fun with the forum's censorship functionality. Most of the ones I've made have replaced words with vaguely Middle English versions of them. It'll all (mostly) go back to normal early next week, though.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:51 am UTC

This happens every year around April 1st. It can be fun to deduce what word filters are being used, but I've mostly just decided to ignore the forums until it passes.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:46 am UTC

Derek wrote:I've mostly just decided to ignore the forums until it passes.

It looks like you're not the only one. Traffic in the Science and Computer forums is very slow at the moment. Mod madness may be fun, and I appreciate the Middle English flavour that gmal's given it this year, but it makes serious discussion a tad tricky. Of course, there are various ways to beat the (current) system if you are really keen (ellipsis)

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

"hwæt be eow Guys Saying?"

I couldn't have said it better myself.
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

schraube

Postby schraube » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:37 am UTC

For twenty seconds I thought I had finally suffered the cerebrovascular accident that I so richly deserve. Now I know that that event is still in the future, I can delight in the now.

So this happens every year? Was last year Chaucerian as well or some other whimsy? Thanks to everyone responsible.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:10 am UTC

The Chaucerian feel is mostly my doing, and what I did last year definitely didn't have the same feel. For that occasion, the linguistic changes were mostly the complete regularization of the most common verbs and pronouns. People said it felt more pirate-speak or like an imitation of Jamaican English.

Also, last year's event coincided with a huge sexism-filled flame-war in one of the comic discussions, so a lot more of the changes had to do with that. This year, the big comic discussion is for the ever-changing one posted last Monday, and people in that discussion are doing a much better job of enjoying the lunacy and playing along with the rest of us as we have a bit of fun.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

flannel jesus

Re: What Are You Guys Saying?

Postby flannel jesus » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

Oh, I actually thought the whole xkcd forum was using some english-like language that had more strict/simple rules without exceptions, just because...you know...nerds do that kind of thing.
I'm a nerd. I would do that.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Each year, after the filters themselves go away, there usually remain a few alterations that users prefer. So maybe eventually, and with slightly more frequent bouts of madness, you might get your wish.

Edit: and in the meantime, here's phlip's tool for using all the past Madness filters. Feel free to run eower stakes through there before staking, though ic suppose some folk may-did be unhappy with eow in more serious parts of the forum.

http://www.mrphlip.com/madness/
---

(he/him/his)

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

Wow, his tool doth it for all five years? HULK impressed. This be awesome.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”