Is there a word for this?

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Asthanius

Is there a word for this?

Postby Asthanius » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but it seems appropriate.

Anyway, I wanted to make a thread for people who have a certain phrase or idea in their head but don't know how to phrase it or if there's a word for it, hence the thread title. For example, if somebody needed a word for "shark-like" because it doesn't sound scientific enough, a person could answer them with "squaloid" or something to that effect. In addition, I'd like for languages other than english to be allowed, as long as the rules are followed, where the English meaning is approximated. To that end, "schadenfreude" could be given as an answer in this thread if also defined in English.

To start off, I'd like to ask for something I've been wondering about for a while: Is there a word for wanting to see somebody happy/the desire to see happiness?
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

JBJ

Re: Is there a word for this?

Postby JBJ » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

Asthanius wrote:To start off, I'd like to ask for something I've been wondering about for a while: Is there a word for wanting to see somebody happy/the desire to see happiness?

Altruism, altruistic?
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

Mudita? That's the best I can come up with. It is significant that the word schadenfreude was directly imported.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:Mudita? That's the best I can come up with. It is significant that the word schadenfreude was directly imported.

That definitely works.
Does anybody have any idea of what the hell energy is? It's the thing that, when applied to something, gives itself to the thing so that the thing can expend it, applying it to other things in multiple forms of it. What the hell is it?

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

I think the phrase you're looking for is "reverse dictionary"
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:12 am UTC

Asthanius wrote:Is there a word for wanting to see somebody happy/the desire to see happiness?

The first word that I thought of was "compersion". I'm not sure if that's exactly right. It is the feeling of being happy when you see someone else's happiness, not the desire for their happiness, but maybe it is close enough?

Ended

Postby Ended » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

Is there a more formal way of saying 'from scratch'? As in:

"I wrote this piece of software from scratch."
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

You could go Latin: "ex nihilo" out of nothing
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Depends. Might say "from base components/materials" or "from the beginning". Prefers the latter for your example.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

alessandro95

Postby alessandro95 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:14 am UTC

JBJ wrote:You could go Latin: "ex nihilo" out of nothing

I didn't study any latin but in italian we still use "ex novo" in this situations, which should translate to newly/from new/from the beginning, but I would still use one of the english solutions posted by Deva
The primary reason Bourbaki stopped writing books was the realization that Lang was one single person.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

My university offers certain languages "ab initio" (from the start) which probably works a little better than "ex nihilo".
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Return to “Language/Linguistics”