Translation game

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

drego642

Translation game

Postby drego642 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:58 am UTC

I had the idea for this game about a year ago and posted it in Forum Games, but it never really got off the ground. I think it will be much better served in this forum anyway, especially now that I know we have at least one game thread here.

It's simple: it starts with a sentence in one language. The next person posts a translation of that sentence in a different language of their choosing, then posts a new sentence in that language, which will be translated by the poster after that and so on, so forth. (Note: you don't have to specify which language you're posting in.)

On help/translation aids:
Spoiler:
I'd really prefer people not to just paste the excerpts into Google translate, but if the thread is at a standstill and you only want to keep it going, that's understandable. Just try to check its accuracy (I'd honestly prefer using wiktionary, as at least then you can get some understanding of grammar and are more likely to infer an accurate meaning by looking up each individual word). Like I said, I'd rather people not, but I won't be enforcing any rules against googling and the like; I'll be leaving it up to the players to determine whether or not to do it.

To kick it off:

Il gatto sta dormendo sul mio letto.

steewi

Re: Translation game

Postby steewi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:12 am UTC

El gato está dormiendo sobre mi cama.

Mi novio está muy lejos, pero me gustaría verlo mañana.

Rollsavager

Postby Rollsavager » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

我男朋友(离我)很远,但我希望明天看他。

我的朋友每次看到美女,都会流鼻血很严重。

steewi

Postby steewi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:37 am UTC

Cuando mi amigo ve a una mujer filete, se le cae mucha sangre de la nariz.

No quisiera dejarles en el campo de batalla, pero no había oportunidad de rescatarles.

gaurwraith

Postby gaurwraith » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:23 am UTC

I'd rather not leave them in the battlefield, but there was no chance to rescue them.

(Btw, the original Spanish sentence is a bit cranky, I was going to explain it but got too lengthy; I assume it is a translation itself?)

The armories of hell are home to the warlord of blood, in his wake lay the mutilated bodies of thousands, angels and men alike have been cut dow to fulfill his endless scrifices to the dark ones, who scream for one thing...
I am a lvl 89 sword barb

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:32 am UTC

Turns out you can just pile a few sentences together with commas in English where a German translation could do with a bit more ... y'know ... syntax.

I'll assume you wanted "cut down" and "sacrifices".

Die Waffenkammern der Hölle sind Heimstätte des blutigen Kriegsherrn. Auf seinen Spuren verstreut sind die verstümmelten Leiber von Tausenden: Engel und Menschen gleichermassen liegen dahingemäht, sein endloses Opfer and die Dunklen zu erfüllen, die stets nach demselben schreien ...

Next up (and feel free to translate freely if you can get a good theme and alliteration going in exchange for deviating a litle):
"Potz Pulverdampf und Pistolenrauch!"

alessandro95

Postby alessandro95 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

Literal translation:
"Santo vapore di polvere da sparo e fumo di pistole!"

Let's translate another proverb:
"Il vino buono sta nella botte piccola"
The primary reason Bourbaki stopped writing books was the realization that Lang was one single person.

Amanita

Postby Amanita » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

Literal translation:
"Bíonn fíon maith i mbuidéal beag"
(Think I got that right!)

And since proverbs are fun:
"Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile"

Return to “Language/Linguistics”