To Not or Not To be

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

azule
Saved

To Not or Not To be

Postby azule » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:57 pm UTC

Where do you place the "not" in a sentence?

"I was told not to do that."
"I was told to not do that."

I think there are conflicting word phrases. "told to", "not to do", and "not do".

Any more linguistical terms (with short definition when appropriate) would be great.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

eSOANEM
:D

Re: To Not or Not To be

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:00 pm UTC

I'd say they have slightly different senses. "Told not to do" seems to me to be a passive thing about not making choices that would lead to doing the thing; "told to not do" seems much more active and about going out of your way to avoid doing the thing.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:15 pm UTC

I think "told to" is not really a phrase, so the question boils down to how you feel about split infinitives. Unless I am wrong.
-Adam

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:17 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:I'd say they have slightly different senses. "Told not to do" seems to me to be a passive thing about not making choices that would lead to doing the thing; "told to not do" seems much more active and about going out of your way to avoid doing the thing.

so, to you, is "I was told not to eat the cake" the same as "I was not told to eat the cake"? That seems to be what you are saying by a passive way of saying things...
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:23 pm UTC

No. "not told to eat" is different because it doesn't imply even passive avoiding of eating the cake, it just implies that one wasn't told to whether to do anything to eat the cake or not.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:46 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:I think "told to" is not really a phrase, so the question boils down to how you feel about split infinitives. Unless I am wrong.
Yeah, in this case I don't perceive a difference between "told not to" and "told to not" apart from the splitting of the second infinitive.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:26 pm UTC

"Told to not do that" just seems slightly unusual to me. It seems like a rarer construction. Part of my brain thinks it feels more emphatic, but I can't tell if that's just because it sticks out more for that reason.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

jaap

Postby jaap » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:13 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:"Told to not do that" just seems slightly unusual to me. It seems like a rarer construction. Part of my brain thinks it feels more emphatic, but I can't tell if that's just because it sticks out more for that reason.

It feels that way to me too. This construction seems to me more likely to be used if they were told off for actually doing whatever it was, rather than merely warned beforehand that it is not a good idea to do it; or if it were beforehand, that there was at least an expectation that they were going to do that thing otherwise.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”