Statements that are true in more than one way

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Quercus

Statements that are true in more than one way

Postby Quercus » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:48 pm UTC

I just watched a periodic videos clip on youtube where the presenter said they were "scattering atoms everywhere" when they dropped some hydrogens from a molecular modelling set (you know, the clip together stuff for making ball and stick models). It amused me that that statement was true in two different ways.

Another example is the classic "eats(,) shoots and leaves" ambiguity when applied to a panda that really does murder someone after a meal.

I suppose this is a subtype of pun, but I find it a particularly pleasing one. Does anyone have other examples?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: Statements that are true in more than one way

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:58 pm UTC

Would any ambiguous sentence where at least two of the possibilities are true count, or do you have something more specific in mind?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:25 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Would any ambiguous sentence where at least two of the possibilities are true count, or do you have something more specific in mind?

The cases I had in mind hinged on one word with multiple meanings (or "metaphorical" and literal meanings as in the atoms example). So I guess mainly semantic rather than grammatical ambiguity.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:24 am UTC

The bartender said: "She asked me for a double entendre, so I gave her one".
:)

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:12 pm UTC

A man walked into a bar and had a stiff one. (I think it might have three meanings...)
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”