"Concept Dependancy", what is it called in linguistics?

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

01AutoMonkey

"Concept Dependancy", what is it called in linguistics?

Postby 01AutoMonkey » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:04 pm UTC

I have this blurry idea of something called "concept dependency" and I'm wondering if linguistics (which I know little about) has an term for it and therefor books or media I could study.

Concept dependancy would be: to understand Concept X you first have to understand Concept Y, Z, K, L, and U, or.. to understand wikipedia article X you have to understand many and preferibly all terms/concepts/phrases used in that article.

Or for example when you're learning a programming language, you've mastered 50% of the basic syntax and you watch a video of a talk on the language, you understand 52% of the video but when he or she starts explaining things with things in the language you haven't learned yet you don't understand what is being said, so for the meaning of the talk to be transmitted you have to understand concepts which it depends on, so different texts depend on varyingly deep hiearchies of dependant terms that must be understood first to understand the text fully.

In theory you could maybe create a hierarchical tree mapping out the concept dependancy of any concept.

So what would this be called in linguistics and/or how can I read about it?

Sizik

Re: "Concept Dependancy", what is it called in linguistics?

Postby Sizik » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:48 pm UTC

"Prerequisite knowledge" seems to be a good fit.
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”