A (annoying) habit

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

WilliamLehnsherr

A (annoying) habit

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Sun May 31, 2015 2:56 am UTC

I'm always thrown off whenever someone doesn't take into account a word in brackets when deciding whether to use "a" or "an". But am I in the minority in thinking the title of this thread should be "An (annoying) habit"?

I'm not interested so much in whether there is a correct way (though by all means tell me if you think there is), just curious as to which way you prefer. Even if it is grammatically correct, I find "a (annoying) habit" rather awkward. Same if it was something like "an (huge) annoyance" instead of "a (huge) annoyance".

measure

Re: A (annoying) habit

Postby measure » Sun May 31, 2015 1:26 pm UTC

In both of your examples, I would agree that the choice of indefinite article should be based on the word in parentheses. In both cases, the parenthetical is an adjective that connects directly to the rest of the sentence rather than a standalone phrase.

See also this response.

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Sun May 31, 2015 4:14 pm UTC

Surely it depends on whether or not you would say the word in brackets when reading the sentence aloud?
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:42 pm UTC

Of course, for this particular example, you could just take the route of following an historical precedent. An habit. There you go.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

measure

Postby measure » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:15 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:Of course, for this particular example, you could just take the route of following an historical precedent. An habit. There you go.

*twitch*

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:13 am UTC

measure wrote:
mathmannix wrote:Of course, for this particular example, you could just take the route of following an historical precedent. An habit. There you go.

*twitch*

Nuttin' wrong with an 'abit.
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”