Anguish Languish resources?

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

hooked

Anguish Languish resources?

Postby hooked » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:10 pm UTC

Hello XKCD (this is my first post here so please alert me to any etiquette breaks),

I'm interested in Anguish Languish. I can't link to it due to low post count, but it's the first Google hit. The basic idea is to do a loose homophonic translation of the words so that:

"Moral: Under no circumstances should little girls stop to talk with strangers."

becomes

"Mural: Yonder nor sorghum stenches shut ladle gulls stopper torque wet strainers."

Read it aloud to see that it's "sounds" the same. It's a fun idea but there are scant few links on the web about it. Do any of you know of any other projects with a similar bent?

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Re: Anguish Languish resources?

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:22 am UTC

It bears some relation to the Uxbridge English Dictionary game, played on this forum here: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3357563#p3357563
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

hooked

Postby hooked » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:07 pm UTC

Thanks bigglesworth, that's exactly what I'm looking for! Know anything else like this?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:07 pm UTC

I know "Mondegreen" is usually used for misheard song lyrics, but that seems to be basically what you're talking about here.

There's a game called Mad Gab that involves trying to decipher them.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “Language/Linguistics”