grade school teachers teaching phonics adding "uh" to the end of consonant sounds.

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Mega85

grade school teachers teaching phonics adding "uh" to the end of consonant sounds.

Postby Mega85 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:48 pm UTC

What do you think about this? The letter "b" makes the sound "buh". The letter "f" makes the sound "fuh". The letter "m" makes the sound "muh". The letter "l" makes the sound "luh". The letter "r" makes the sound "ruh". etc. Do you think it's a bad idea for grade school teachers to add an "uh" sound to the end of consonant sounds when teaching their students phonics? I do.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Re: grade school teachers teaching phonics adding "uh" to the end of consonant sounds.

Postby chridd » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:56 am UTC

Mega85 wrote:What do you think about this? The letter "b" makes the sound "buh". The letter "f" makes the sound "fuh". The letter "m" makes the sound "muh". The letter "l" makes the sound "luh". The letter "r" makes the sound "ruh". etc. Do you think it's a bad idea for grade school teachers to add an "uh" sound to the end of consonant sounds when teaching their students phonics? I do.
I don't see why it would be a problem, as long as they give enough example words and are otherwise teaching well. (I'm assuming you mean, when they say what sound a letter makes, they say "m" says "muh" instead of trying to not add a vowel sound, rather than that the entire education consists of just saying "b says buh, c says cuh...") Many consonants can be hard to pronounce or hear without a vowel sound, and most of the time those sounds are going to be combined with a vowel sound. And, if I remember correctly, when I was in elementary school and my teachers told us not to say "buh", I didn't really think that rule was that important.

However, this is a testable question, so it should probably be determined by actual evidence. When elementary school teachers say that "b" says "buh", are there actually students who are confused in ways one might expect if that was causing problems? Are there students who want to know what letter makes the "beh" sound, or students who spell "fun" as "fn"? Are there students who say they're confused for reasons relating to that? And if you look at multiple classrooms, some of which have teachers who add "uh" and some of which don't, is there any significant difference in how well the students can read and spell when they finish the class? Is there anyone now who remembers actually being confused by their teacher saying "buh"?
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she(?)(?(?)(?))(?(?(?))(?))(?) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"

Mega85

Re: grade school teachers teaching phonics adding "uh" to the end of consonant sounds.

Postby Mega85 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:18 pm UTC

It can create problems for kids when trying to sound out words. "fan" "fuh a nuh" "fuhanuh". "fff a nnn" sounds more like "fan".

For the voiced plosives "b", "d" and "g" it is impossible to say them without a little vowel sound after them. But it doesn't have to be drawn out as "buh", "duh" and "guh".

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:31 pm UTC

It's not just the voiced plosives; it's all the plosives (also glides like [j] and [w]). And is it really dragged out ever? I've never heard anyone drag it out, it's always a very short schwa in my experience. With the sonorants, there might be a slight benefit but even then, it actually seems to make it harder to distinguish certain sounds if there isn't a vowel following them.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

SAI Peregrinus

Postby SAI Peregrinus » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:54 pm UTC

Paul Meyer's IPA chart (requires flash) uses the "buh, uhbuh, uhb" style. That shows the consonant clearly and how it fits with the vowel sound. Other charts are similar, though many omit the third vowel-consonant pronunciation from the set.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”