What do you think about Truespel and Fanetik?

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Mega85

What do you think about Truespel and Fanetik?

Postby Mega85 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:47 pm UTC

http://www.truespel.com/tutorial/

http://fanetik.tripod.com/

Spelling reforms for English.

Truespel respells "-ang" words as "-aeng" and "-ing" words as "-eeng". "sang" becomes "saeng", "sing" becomes "seeng".

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Re: What do you think about Truespel and Fanetik?

Postby Lazar » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:08 pm UTC

I'd favor a few incremental changes to mitigate some of the worst excesses of English spelling, but I'm not a fan of wholesale re-engineering. A phonemic standard would necessarily be based on one major dialect and would thus alienate many others; a more egalitarian approach would have to be diaphonemic, preserving a broad range of distinctions while ignoring some of the more recent innovations, and a cleaned-up version of our current spelling would basically be that.

If we're only aiming for a pronunciation guide for (American) teaching use, as appears to be the case with Truespel – again, I think this would be counterproductive because it would keep Americans alienated from IPA, which is the closest thing we have to a universal standard for transcribing speech. A broad phonemic or diaphonemic IPA transcription would be far better.
And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:28 pm UTC

I think they're destined for the same fate as every other proposed spelling reform in the history of the language, which is to be completely ignored and vanish into the mists of time because nobody uses them.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:57 pm UTC

Also, what on earth is up with spelling "sing" "seeng"? <ee> almost always represents /i:/ but the <i> in sing is /ɪ/ in pretty much every dialect I know (I'd have thought even in pin-pen merging ones).
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:03 am UTC

I think there's a separate (from merging pin-pen) phenomenon where /ɪ/ is raised before /ŋ/.

(Though I think the -ing morpheme is generally pronounced with /i/.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:19 am UTC

I have unraised [ɪŋ] both in words like "king", and in the "-ing" morpheme. But yeah, it is common through much of North America to raise these to [iŋ]. Some speakers even go one step further and change the "-ing" morpheme to [in], so that "going", for example, sounds like "goeen".
And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:08 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Also, what on earth is up with spelling "sing" "seeng"? <ee> almost always represents /i:/ but the <i> in sing is /ɪ/ in pretty much every dialect I know (I'd have thought even in pin-pen merging ones).

We were discussing this recently in the pronunciation thread.

measure

Postby measure » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:41 pm UTC

Mega85 wrote:Truespel respells "-ing" words as "-eeng"... "sing" becomes "seeng".

How would one spell the present participle of "see"? "Seeeeng"?!

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:38 am UTC

That's no more awkward than "someone who sees" being spelled "seeer". (That is to say, super awkward.)
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Mega85

Postby Mega85 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:49 am UTC

measure wrote:
Mega85 wrote:Truespel respells "-ing" words as "-eeng"... "sing" becomes "seeng".

How would one spell the present participle of "see"? "Seeeeng"?!

"seeing" in Truespel comes out as "seeyeeng". "seer" in Truespel is "seeyer".

Aiwendil

Postby Aiwendil » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:49 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:But yeah, it is common through much of North America to raise these to [iŋ]. Some speakers even go one step further and change the "-ing" morpheme to [in], so that "going", for example, sounds like "goeen".

Wow, I was genuinely shocked by this, as I've never noticed such a thing. But then I realized that in the word "reading" I do tend to raise the final vowel slightly. Strangely, I can't think of any other words where I do this, nor where I've noticed people doing it (not even seemingly analogous words like "breeding" or "feeding").

Return to “Language/Linguistics”