Apologies, but can someone check this translation (English to French)

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

tomandlu

Apologies, but can someone check this translation (English to French)

Postby tomandlu » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:00 am UTC

I need to send an email in French to try and recover a phone and ipod from a Parisian garage. Can someone confirm that Google has given me a reasonable translation (and that it doesn't sound rude?):

English:

Hello,

You are very kindly looking after a small, blue 'Centre Parcs' bag that I left behind.

A friend, Natacha, would like to collect it for me. Is it now available? (it was locked away when we tried to collect it last Friday)

Also, what is the best way in to the car park if you do not have a ticket or a car?

Many, many thanks for looking after it for me.

Tom Melly

French:

Bonjour,

Vous êtes très gentiment à la recherche après un petit sac , bleu ' Center Parcs ' que je suis parti derrière .

Un ami , Natacha , souhaite recueillir pour moi. Est-il maintenant disponible ? ( Il a été enfermé quand nous avons essayé de recueillir vendredi dernier )

En outre, ce qui est la meilleure façon pour le parking si vous ne disposez pas d' un billet ou d'une voiture ?

Merci, merci beaucoup pour occuper pour moi .

Tom Melly

As a final comment, never, ever try and drive through Paris towing a trailer on a Friday afternoon...
How can I think my way out of the problem when the problem is the way I think?

Grop

Re: Apologies, but can someone check this translation (English to French)

Postby Grop » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:09 pm UTC

The French part is very bad ('look after' was parsed as 'search' for instance - also it sounds like your friend Natacha was locked in last friday), but I wouldn't say it is rude. I think the English is a bit complicated so it must not be easy for google to translate.

(It's funny how it changed Centre Parcs to Center Parcs, and how it added white spaces everywhere).

I don't want to proofread your emails for you, so I will suggest a few quick and dirty fixes to make it vaguely understandable (but still not great):

Bonjour,

Vous gardez très gentiment un petit sac , bleu ' Center Parcs ' que j'ai oublié.

Une amie*, Natacha, souhaite recueillir pour moi. Est-il maintenant disponible ? (Le garage était fermé quand nous avons essayé de recueillir vendredi dernier )

En outre, comment entrer dans le parking sans ticket ni voiture ?

Merci, merci beaucoup pour occuper pour moi .

Tom Melly

* guessing Natacha is a woman's name

Return to “Language/Linguistics”