"I know to X" - what part of grammar?

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

"I know to X" - what part of grammar?

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:06 am UTC

When I say "I know to stay alert", I'm saying I know I should and how to stay alert. What part of grammar is this use of the verb there?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Derek

Re: "I know to X" - what part of grammar?

Postby Derek » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:46 am UTC

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, that's just an infinitive.

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:27 am UTC

That is also how I parse it.

Fieari

Postby Fieari » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:46 am UTC

But "I know how to stay alert" also seems to be an infinitive. Is there a grammatical term that distinguishes the "know how to" with "know to"?

Or... wait, I guess "know to" would be one infinive, and "how to" would be a different infinitive, so "know how to" is a verb with an infinitive?
Surely it is as ridiculous to consider sqrt(-1) "imaginary" because you can't use it to count pieces of chalk as to consider the number 200 imaginary because by itself it cannot express the location of one point with reference to another. -Isaac Asimov

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:45 am UTC

"to stay" is the infinitive; "how to stay alert" is a predicate.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:10 pm UTC

I'd argue "how to stay alert" is a noun clause that is the object of the verb "know" in the sentence, "I know how to stay alert."

I'm not sure whether "to stay alert" can properly be considered an object in, "I know to stay alert," but I do think there isn't anything syntactically special about "know to VERB". Is it different from "want to" or "need to" or "like to" or "try to" or "forget to"?

The implication that knowing to do something implies knowing *how* to do it is semantic rather than syntactic. Knowing, remembering, or forgetting to do something all imply an obligation to do it, and then you're saying that you know, remember, or forget that obligation. I think it's having that obligation in the first place that really implies knowing *how* to do the thing.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “Language/Linguistics”