Language fleeting thoughts

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Eebster the Great

Re: Language fleeting thoughts

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:02 am UTC

doogly wrote:
gd1 wrote:I've gotta take Lalique, brush Matisse, Van Gogh ta bed.

That's not how you pronounce Van Gogh.

That's how the name is usually pronounced in the U.S.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:10 am UTC

pogrmman wrote:I'm curious about what people would call a specific kind of waterway. Behind my house, in the bottom of a steep valley maybe 60' deep with some short cliffs on both sides there's a little waterway that only flows after it rains. A recent thunderstorm that dropped under .75" pushed it to between 1 and 2 feet deep and over 9 feet wide (estimated flow from Manning's equation 15-20 cfs, although the peak flow could've been quite a bit higher). It's not normally much over 3 feet or so deep after big rains, but I've seen it deeper than 7 feet after very large storm (it was flowing over a road at least that high above the bed of the creek). The bed is clear of vegetation and leaf litter and consists of gravel and small rocks up to a couple feet wide in some spots and exposed bedrock in others. It's not a named water course, probably because it doesn't flow often enough. It's also very likely that it loses much of its water to the aquifer, seeing as we're in the recharge zone and there are decent sized cracks in the bedrock it flows over. Every few years, it sometimes flows for a week or more continuously, but that's only happened a few times since I've lived here.

Spoiler:
I personally call it a creek, but I imagine others might call it a gulch or a draw or an arroyo (though we're a bit far east for that). I guess wash would be a good term for it, but it's presence in a nearly canyon-like valley seems wrong for that IMO. Plus, it's in a woodland area.

I would call that a dry creek.

gd1

Postby gd1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:03 pm UTC

25 mph in a residential area... how much in a ...Presidential area?
There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

solune

Postby solune » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:46 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:I have never respected any meaningful distinctions between words like "creek," "brook," "rivulet," or "stream." They're all just little rivers. While there's no water in them, they're little dry rivers.

Non-native speaker here. I've only heard rivulet used to describe tears or rain on a window, so I would only use it to describe a very small, laminar flow of water (less than 1cm large). To me, creek evokes its original French meaning of a bay, so when I hear it I imagine a river which is just large enough to have meanders that look like a coastline (i.e. a turning radius of 10 to 50 meters). For streams, the important characteristic is that it foams or bubbles, so it's both a constraint on the size (both large and small rivers tend to have laminar flow but not intermediate rivers) and on the slope.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”