請你說一點兒中文!(Chinese Practice)

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Anonymously Famous

Re: 請你說一點兒中文!(Chinese Practice)

Postby Anonymously Famous » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

I've heard that as a general rule, mainland China uses simplified Chinese, and Taiwan uses Traditional.

(I hope no one starts shouting about how I'm wrong, as generalizations always have exceptions).

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:06 pm UTC

Well, yes, I knew that much.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Anonymously Famous

Postby Anonymously Famous » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:31 am UTC

In that case, whether to use Simplified or Traditional Chinese characters depends largely on who your target audience is.

You just always write in Traditional Chinese, as there are several Traditional-to-Simplified converters.

manictheatrefan

Postby manictheatrefan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:54 pm UTC

Hong Kong also uses Traditional Chinese.

I (being from HK) am biased, but I prefer traditional characters over the simplified ones. Each character is like a history lesson—there are specific reasons why it was put together that way, and I feel that being able to see how each character evolved really gives you a much more in-depth understanding of and appreciation of the language. Plus, it's much easier to decipher simplified characters when you are familiar with traditional ones than the other way around. (I don't know if this makes sense to anyone not learning Chinese—this is probably a bad analogy, but let's say "bsmt" is the simplified version of "basement." If you knew the word "basement," it would not be difficult to figure out what "bsmt" means, especially if you have context clues. If you don't know the word "basement" to begin with, there's absolutely no way you could figure out that "bsmt" means "basement" just by looking.) Last but definitely not least, I think that traditional characters are just prettier. :)

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

Traditional characters are pretty easy to understand if you know the meaning of the 字旁of the word, vice versa, just need a bit of practice.

Like 说 and 說, they are pretty similar, and that understanding their 字旁 are both called 言字旁 also helps.

Other than that, I do say that I picked up traditional Chinese through just constantly reading, especially while watching Taiwanese dramas, if they say this word you know in Simplified, you can compare it with the actual Chinese subtitles.

But going back to the original question, I think most Chinese are pretty alright with either one of them, so as long if you stick to one. On a note though, people around the age of 55 in Southeast Asian countries were taught Traditional Chinese before it changed to Simplified, if I am not wrong....

But yeah, Traditional Chinese retains most of the original shape of the primitive word, thus making it easier to remember if you are a visual person, eg 车and車, out of the two, the traditional character looks most like the hand carried carriages that ancient Chinese use to sit in.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Halcyon Days

Postby Halcyon Days » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:36 am UTC

大家好!我是大一的学生。我是美国人,也我住在美国。我的两个专业是中文,和电脑。我的母语是英文。我也说西班牙文,和一点儿中文。我想会说中文好。我的中文老师很好。我有中国朋友;他们帮助我学这语言。他们问我问题,我回答。我与我的同学也学中文。

我有朋友学数学。很多他们说他们的数学功课少,可是很难。

很多我的朋友学英国文学。他们说他们的功课很多,可是很容易。我知道工程学生很忙,可是英文学生不忙。

对了,我累!我想睡觉。。

对不对?我不相信那很对了。请问,你们能够帮助?多谢!

~杜可恩。(我的英文名字叫 Connor D.. 我的老师给我的中文名字。。)

Spoiler:
(What I wanted to say...)

Hello everybody! I am a freshman college student. I am an American, and I live in the United States. My two majors are Chinese, and computer science. My native language is English. I also speak Spanish, and a little Chinese. I would like to speak Chinese well. My Chinese teacher is very good. I have Chinese friends; they help me learn this language. They ask me questions, and I answer. I also learn Chinese with my classmates.

I have friends who are math students. They say they have little math homework, but what they have is very difficult.

Many of my friends study English literature. They said they have a lot of homework, but it is easy. I know that engineering students are busy, but English students are not.

Anyway, I am tired! I want to sleep..

Is that right? I do not believe that it is. Would you all please help me? Thank you!

~ Du Ke En. (My English name is Connor D.. My Chinese teacher gave me the Chinese name.)

~~~~~

In general I'd like to know if what I stated above was comprehensible, but If I had to venture a guess I'd say it was probably awful. I've only been studying for about five weeks, so I'm not really very certain about many of the grammatical constructs. For example, is the usage of "两个" in "我的两个专业是中文,和电脑。" correct, or does it sound weird? Is there another measure word that would be specific to like, areas of study? I am also curious as to how the sentence "They ask me questions and I answer" is supposed to be formed in Chinese. I know the order is subject verb object (They, ask, questions), (他们,问,问题), but I'm not sure how to make the sentence convey that they are asking ME questions.

Additionally, I'm sure that "电脑" is not the right way to articulate "Computer Science," but I'm not sure I'd trust a direct Google translate or anything for something like that..

The second and third paragraphs - the one sentence ones - are just there so I could try and practice the usage of 很 to articulate different points and practice with adjectives (忙, 容易, 难..). Could I get confirmation that I'm not doing anything horribly horribly wrong there? Or if I am, what is the right way to say those points?

I feel like I probably have "对了,我累!我想睡觉。。" right, just because I don't really know what I would have done to get it wrong; the grammar seems fairly straightforward there.. Of course, again, I'm not certain on the matter, so confirmation either for or against would be much appreciated.

One thing I'm conscious of is how to remain moderately polite in my speech. I actually talk to a LOT of Chinese international students on campus here (I'm in Chinese Student Organization, lol), and I don't want to sound rude, even in Chinese when it can simply be attributed to ignorance. xD When I was learning Spanish it took me about three years to realize that "Yo quiero" (Straight up "I want") was a rather rude way of asking for something, so I'd like to learn quickly if 我想 is the right phrase here, and additionally if it would be the right phrase for use with another person... In a situation like "I would like to ask a question?" 我想问一个问题。?

多谢 and 谢谢 are more or less the same, right? In the same way that "Thanks," "Thank you," "Thanks a lot," etc. are all interchangeable in English?.

"我的老师给我的中文名字。" Brings up the same grammatical point I asked about before. Subject, Verb, Object. The Teacher, Gave, My Chinese Name. 老师, 给, 我的中文名字. But where should the 我, indicating that the name was given to me, be placed?

Thanks so much to anybody who can answer any or all of my annoying questions!!

~杜可恩。

Zoan

Postby Zoan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:59 am UTC

Hi Halcyon Days! I too am a student although I have been studying for about 8 months, but it was only about 2 months ago that I became serious. I mainly study traditional. I'll do my best, but I cannot guarantee that any of this is right! (Unless I specifically say otherwise, in which case I have checked with a native.)

Halcyon Days wrote:Additionally, I'm sure that "电脑" is not the right way to articulate "Computer Science," but I'm not sure I'd trust a direct Google translate or anything for something like that..

I know that when I say 電腦科學 (simp: 电脑科学), people will generally understand. I'm not sure if this is the official term however. I've used it a lot seeing as I also study computer science.

Halcyon Days wrote:我想会说中文好。

This doesn't quite... work. I mean it seems weird, and if you said it, I'm not quite sure what you were saying (except if i were to translate it to english, but then again that would defeat the purpose of using chinese, wouldn't it?). You could say something like “我想把中文學(学)好。“ I don't think you'll fully understand the grammar of this statement yet, but if you're super curious, you can look here.

Halcyon Days wrote:"我的老师给我的中文名字。" Brings up the same grammatical point I asked about before. Subject, Verb, Object. The Teacher, Gave, My Chinese Name. 老师, 给, 我的中文名字. But where should the 我, indicating that the name was given to me, be placed?

I'm not quite sure about this, but one way around it is to say that your teacher gave you the chinese name after it is introduced. So "~杜可恩 (我的老師給我這個名字。。。)". Also, "我的英文名字叫..." is wrong. Do not use 叫 there. You can either say “我叫Connor D“ or ”我的英文名字是Connor D.“ At least, this is how I was taught.

祝你好運! I still need to practice, as I suspect some of my information is incorrect. Ask a native speaker, but I hope I've helped somewhat. :D

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

歡迎!我學了十年漢語,雖然我不會說得流利,我還覺得我能幫助。當然,我知道我一定會有一些錯誤,結果,我們應該找一位中國人!

我喜歡寫繁體字,可是如果你讀不動,我也能寫簡體字。

Halcyon Days wrote:大家好!我是大一的学生。我是美国人,也我住在美国。

“也”不對因爲你的主語在“也”和你的動詞之間。更好是:“而且,我住在美國” “我也住在美國” 或 “也住在美國”。
Spoiler:
“也” Isn't right because it's between your subject and your verb. Better would be: ...

Halcyon Days wrote:我的两个专业是中文,和电脑。

“我的兩個專業”沒問題。可是,Computer Science不是“電腦”。電腦是在桌子上用的那個工具,如果你說你是學電腦的話,我就認爲你是學怎麼修電腦。更好是“電子計算機科學”或“計算機科學”。
Spoiler:
“我的兩個專業” is fine. But, Computer Science isn't “電腦”. That means "computer". Better would be “電子計算機科學” or “計算機科學” which mean "electronic computation science" or "computation science".
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:40 pm UTC

你好。 你好吗? 我叫火。 我是美国来。 我想问什么你说"How"?

My primary issue is vocabulary, I pick up grammer very easily.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:你好。 你好吗? 我叫火。 我是美国来。 我想问什么你说"How"?

My primary issue is vocabulary, I pick up grammer very easily.

"how" 就是「怎麼」。比例說,「"how"漢語怎麼說?」
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

Question. In 文 (wen) what is the vowel 1, 2, 3, 4 or unstressed(5)? I'm looking through my notes and cannot find it. Sorry that this isn't in Chinese but my pinyin to chinese translator is down.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Halcyon Days

Postby Halcyon Days » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:46 am UTC

我觉得"文"是第二声?

Zhu_Wuneng

Postby Zhu_Wuneng » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:14 am UTC

观音!您们好吗?我叫大卫。我住在中国这三年,可是我的中文还不太好。我的口语还可以不过我语法很错。我当然有中国朋友但他们经常不明白我觉得什么有意思。如果我们可以联系的话我很高兴。

lynx

Postby lynx » Wed May 02, 2012 11:15 am UTC

大家好!我已经有五年呆在中国,四年学中文。有没有问题?
:P

chocopancake

Postby chocopancake » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:10 pm UTC

大家好。我是中文学生辛的。我中文名字设小燕。今年在北京我学了五个月。明年我要回去北京教英语。现在谁在北京是英文的老师? 我也在xkcd新的。认识你们很高兴! :D

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:27 pm UTC

I have three questions:

1.How many characters do you have to memorise for Chiense, approxametly
2. I heard it's grammar was sort of close in structure to English. How true is that?
3. Based on character meanings alone, and the above, can "我不理解中文" mean, "I don't know Chinese."? I don't.

steewi

Postby steewi » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:41 am UTC

1. The smart answer is none, because you don't need to know any to speak Chinese. To read, it depends what sort of things you're going to read. A functionally literate Chinese person knows more than about 1200 characters, but that's kind of like an English who can fill out forms and read a magazine, but would have trouble with poetry or an essay.

2. Partly true. It has things in common like expressing a lot of grammatical things with words rather than affixes (though the definition of 'word' when it comes to Chinese is fuzzy), and the basic word order is similar enough, but there are some big differences that can be difficult to get your head around (like head-final subordinate clauses - instead of saying "the man who wears red pants", you say "the wears red pants man").

3. Not exactly. That really means something more like "I don't comprehend the concept of Chinese", and it just wouldn't really make sense. You're better off saying something more like 我不会说中文 wo bu hui shuo zhongwen "I can't speak Chinese" or 中文我不知道 Zhongwen wo bu zhidao "I don't know Chinese".

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:22 pm UTC

steewi wrote:1. The smart answer is none, because you don't need to know any to speak Chinese. To read, it depends what sort of things you're going to read. A functionally literate Chinese person knows more than about 1200 characters, but that's kind of like an English who can fill out forms and read a magazine, but would have trouble with poetry or an essay.

2. Partly true. It has things in common like expressing a lot of grammatical things with words rather than affixes (though the definition of 'word' when it comes to Chinese is fuzzy), and the basic word order is similar enough, but there are some big differences that can be difficult to get your head around (like head-final subordinate clauses - instead of saying "the man who wears red pants", you say "the wears red pants man").

3. Not exactly. That really means something more like "I don't comprehend the concept of Chinese", and it just wouldn't really make sense. You're better off saying something more like 我不会说中文 wo bu hui shuo zhongwen "I can't speak Chinese" or 中文我不知道 Zhongwen wo bu zhidao "I don't know Chinese".

Number 2 wouldn't be too difficult if you're used to it in Japanese; i.e "赤い短パン(For lack of a better word)を着る男" *Using Wikipedia's Kana to IPA chart since I don't know IPA, it would be akai tanpan o kiɽu͍ otoko* More literally "Red shorts wear man"

3.知道 seems interesting and odd to me at the same time for "know" (Just by the addition of 道, but that also brings other "Aha!" moments into my mind.) If I ever decide to learn Chinese one day(Sadly, I am lazy), it'd probably be traditional text-wise. I cringed a little when I saw 说 instead of 説, I like writing out my 言 as well as other crap like 鬱, 籠,騎,蹴,興 etc. but that's just me. When I see things like 马, they look utter foreign to me and I have no idea where to start for proper stroke order, but 馬 is easily written and recognised.

steewi

Postby steewi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:33 am UTC

简体字 isn't that hard to get used to. It's what I was taught. I was coming across from having done Japanese, so I had that reaction for a while. Eventually, I just recognised them. Just like you'd get used to reading things in Fraktur; the printed word's weird but readable, but the handwriting is just unreadable until you're used to it.

As for the grammar differences, that particular one is near enough identical to Japanese in structure, so you'd be fine with that one. There are other things, like verbs incorporating directional markers (up, down, come, go) which are annoying, but not nearly as much as English phrasal verbs.

bennysmith

Postby bennysmith » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:34 am UTC

大家好, 我是中国人!这个topic很有意思,谢谢分享!

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:01 am UTC

是否為首次申請? Whether the first application? * 若非首次請填寫下一個問題,反之則不用 If not for the first time please fill out the next question,Otherwise you do not have.
若非首次的上次申請時間(大約即可) If not for the first time applications for the last time
可面試時間(以GMT+8時間為準) Can you interview time(Subject to the time in GMT +8) *

Can anyone translate this for me? Their use of English is slightly unintelliglbe to me.

steewi

Postby steewi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:08 am UTC

Daimon wrote:是否為首次申請? Whether the first application? * 若非首次請填寫下一個問題,反之則不用 If not for the first time please fill out the next question,Otherwise you do not have.
若非首次的上次申請時間(大約即可) If not for the first time applications for the last time
可面試時間(以GMT+8時間為準) Can you interview time(Subject to the time in GMT +8) *

Can anyone translate this for me? Their use of English is slightly unintelliglbe to me.

Some of the Chinese is unintelligible to me. It looks more like Classical Chinese to me.

I haven't tried any Classical Chinese for a while, but I can get the gist:

是否為首次申請? Is this your first application?
若非首次請填寫下一個問題,反之則不用 If it is your first appointment, please answer the question below, otherwise, you don't have to.
若非首次的上次申請時間(大約即可) If it is your first appointment, select an approximate time (This one I'm really not sure of).
可面試時間(以GMT+8時間為準) Time you can be interviewed (use GMT+8 as your standard time)

Take my translations with a generous handful of salt - I'm not a native speaker, and it's been a while since I practiced.

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:23 pm UTC

If it helps, it is written by Taiwanese people.

steewi

Postby steewi » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:11 am UTC

Daimon wrote:If it helps, it is written by Taiwanese people.

No surprise there. Taiwanese tends to use some very Classical sounding structures, particularly on forms (which that obviously is), making it sound more educated. It's possible that it was influenced by Taiwanese (AKA Hokkien), but I don't really see any evidence of that.

Rollsavager

Postby Rollsavager » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

作为我第一个帖子,我会先写汉语,再写英语,为了各位同学都能看懂:

As this is my first post, I'll first write Chinese, then write English, so that everyone can understand:

这么久没有人过来练中文吗?太可惜了,我来“顶”一下!

Has it been this long since anyone's come by to practice Chinese? What a shame, let me bump it!

对了,我该介绍一下自己:我是美国人,上大学时主修汉语和生物学。我大学毕业以后在深圳工作了一年半。我曾经去过北京,深圳,广州,台北,还有香港;所以简体,繁体两种字体我都会读。

Right, I should introduce myself a bit: I'm an American who studied Chinese and biology in college. After graduating I worked in Shenzhen for a year and a half. I've previously been to Beijing, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Taipei, and Hong Kong; so I can read both simplified and traditional characters.

(这句大家不一定都能看懂)我都識講少少白話,唔知呢個thread有冇廣州人,香港人呀?

(Not everyone can necessarily understand this sentence) I also speak a little Cantonese, is there anyone from Guangzhou or Hong Kong in the thread?

很期待和各位多多交流!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

I think this thread deserves a little love bump.

I decided I would like to learn Chinese after just not enjoying Japanese anymore; I was thoroughly burnt out, and it felt nice to get excited/angry over another language again. I've just been doing pronunciation for the last week (Though I have little to guide and correct me when I do it wrong), and think I might get a class. I don't actually have any grammar learnt besides what I could pick up for free (Simple things). Tell me I didn't fuck up this sentence "今天也是我生日"

Oh, and this 兒化 stuff I can't get a feel for. I just don't like the sound of talking like a pirate.

PHIDIAS

Postby PHIDIAS » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:42 am UTC

點呀???
又繁又簡的。。。 :? :|

Maritta

Postby Maritta » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:12 am UTC

中文还是需要慢慢练习的,多听多说,这样子才会有一个较快的提高。

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:46 am UTC

Bump.

好久不post! :P

你好!你们好吗?

我一年在大学学了中文可是我许多忘记。

我想问你们一个问题:我们*可以问 "A不A" 的问题。例如 "懂不懂" 还是 "对不对"。要是我们问 "你可不可以?" 我们不可以问 "你可以不可以?"。要是我们问 "你知道不知道?", 我们问 "你知道不知道?" 还是 "你知不知道?" 吗?

*(I didn't know what the Chinese equivalent for a general you or "one" would be, so I used we)

And in English, which ought to make more sense:
Spoiler:
Long time no post! :P

Hello! How are you all?

I studied Chinese at university for one year, but I've forgotten a lot.

I'd like to ask you all a question: we can ask "A-not-A?" questions. For example "do you understand or not? or "true or false?" If we ask "can you or can you not?" we need to ask "你可不可以?", we can't ask "你可以不可以?"
If we want to ask "Do you know or not?", would we ask "你知不知道?" or "你知道不知道?"
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”