Foreign languages in dreams?

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Dave_Wise

Re: Foreign languages in dreams?

Postby Dave_Wise » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:57 am UTC

I sometimes dream in Welsh.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

dmdiannemorales

Postby dmdiannemorales » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:23 am UTC

Hurduser wrote:When I was in the world cup fewer, in 2002, I had a dream that I was in South korea and had a quick conversation with someone in korean - even though when awake, I don't know the language :oops:

I was watching a Chinese drama before going to bed and in my dream i was talking to a Chinese people where i can communicate to them fluently using their language. Just then i realized what i did before going to bed was in connection to my dream. :D
After that i was thinking of learning Chinese language and I'm so glad that I have few words in mind.

Roĝer

Postby Roĝer » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:28 am UTC

A related experience that I have been having lately as a regular user of many languages, is that if I dream, think or actually hear some sentences, no matter in what language, if I recall them later they will appear in the language that I'm using at that moment.
For example, if someone said something to me in Dutch, and I think about it later while timewastingly browsing forums such as this one, in my mind the remembered sentence will be in English. Conversely, a past conversation in English will be recalled in Esperanto if I'm with my Esperanto speaking housemate at that moment.

In conclusion, I have no idea in which language I dream on any given night.
Ik ben niet koppig, ik heb gewoon gelijk.

TessTennant

Postby TessTennant » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:01 am UTC

wow. that sounds really interesting! I had a dream sort of like that once, where I was in Italy but speaking Francitalian :S and I thought it was completely correct Italian. Maybe it's just that whole brain-making-random-connections in dreams thing where it pulls out random things... i guess if it was a neural impulse in the language section of your brain it was disorganised but your brain skimmed over it because you weren't actually thinking about the correct-ness of what you were saying...?

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:46 pm UTC

I speak Spanish with much more fluency in my dreams. When I remember enough of it, I will write down what was said and doublecheck my grammar. It tends to be correct. When I am conscious, it takes a bit more work to command up the language skills, but my dreams show me that it's all in my head and just needs to be exercised a bit more.

speakinggerman

Postby speakinggerman » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

A friend of mine once made a survey among expats about their language usage and attitudes or feelings.
The most curious question was "In which language do people speak in your dreams?"
He used that for a scientific project but I'm not aware of the results ...
... visit http://speakinggerman.wordpress.com !

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:30 pm UTC

I'm a native English speaker but I've been learning French for about six years now, and while most of my dreams (at least the ones with memorable spoken parts) are in English, there have been some in which actual correct French was spoken (in the one that I remember most clearly, I was more surprised about the language than the fact that it was being spoken by a dog). But I've now been studying in France for about three months with most of my interactions in French, and while I haven't had too many language-intensive dreams lately, there was a weird period where I'd get confused in the dream and speak French to someone who only spoke English, like a friend from home or a family member. Immediately afterward I would realize and start to repeat myself in English, but the person would cut me off by responding in French. I remember having a dream in which I was visiting my family for Thanksgiving and kept thinking, "How many people in my family speak French but never told me!?"

buttered_cat_paradox

Postby buttered_cat_paradox » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:44 pm UTC

I definitely dream in multiple languages. The weirdest one was years ago, after going to a film festival -- after three days of foreign films I had a dream with subtitles. :)

(Can't tell if the translation was accurate, but hey)

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:27 am UTC

I remember the very first time I dreamed in Spanish. It was rather a long dream, and the dream ended with someone asking me if I wanted an "oso de peluche". I woke up thinking what is peluche? I know that word. After about 30 seconds of having fully woken up, I remembered that it means "teddy bear." About 10 seconds later, "Oh my goodness! I just had an entire dream in Spanish!" I hadn't even realized it until I had woken up and thought about it.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Beatrice wrote:The world is quiet here.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

Return to “Language/Linguistics”