Annoying words, and Words You Hate

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Annoying words, and Words You Hate

Postby Felstaff » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

I literally exploded when I read that.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

greeneggsnoham

Postby greeneggsnoham » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:35 am UTC

Two phrases I hear in my work far too often that make me want to hurt people:

Value add - I have two problems with it. One is that it's used as a weasel word, sounding positive but avoiding specifying exactly what value is being added. And secondly what's wrong with "adding value?" other than non-native speakers are going to read "value add" and not understand what it means?

Plan of Action - Because, we are very fond of coming up with plans of inaction around here apparently (no I don't work for the government)

On the "literally" discussion, a friend of mine who I love dearly but who regularly mashes words said to me recently that when she fell it 'literally hurt!' I laughed, which didn't endear me much in her eyes.

Another word I hate is 'whom.' There's nothing wrong with the word, but it just feels so pompous to use it.

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

Ian Ex Machina wrote:Random.
Mainly because it is so overused by the masses and doesn't fit with what they mean.
They say "wow that is random" when what they means is "wow a particular word or phrase judged by you to impress upon me on how KER-AZY you are, I also should die now."

This is loathsome, especially when used by people to describe themselves/anyone else in lieu of a personality. I'll also add 'mental', 'crazy', 'mad' and 'an alcoholic' to that list.
Jesus Christ you have confused me

Scaredcrow

Postby Scaredcrow » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

I received an email in response to a job application I recently sent out in which the respondent started every other line stating, "with that said". Does this bother anyone else? I feel like I wrote an intelligent, well thought out cover letter and inserted it into an email. In return, I get a response I would have expected from at fifth grader learning how to put sentences together to form paragraphs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember being in fifth or sixth grade and being told ways to tie two sentences together. I just didn't know it would work for an entire three paragraph email.
jmrz wrote:You totally know she's a keeper when she offers to bail you out of jail.

sophyturtle wrote:ice cream sandwiches = happiness wrapped in paper

Nougat says: "scaredcrow: we need more men"

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:48 pm UTC

Hell, I start giving my ESL students good ways to tie sentences together in level 2, which usually means about 4-6 months after starting to take English classes.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Scaredcrow

Postby Scaredcrow » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:51 pm UTC

I went to Catholic school. We knew cursive before we knew how to put to sentences together. But, hey, at least it looked pretty.
jmrz wrote:You totally know she's a keeper when she offers to bail you out of jail.

sophyturtle wrote:ice cream sandwiches = happiness wrapped in paper

Nougat says: "scaredcrow: we need more men"

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:47 am UTC

greeneggsnoham wrote:Another word I hate is 'whom.' There's nothing wrong with the word, but it just feels so pompous to use it.

Not only do I like that word, I'm slightly impressed every time I see it used correctly. I think its use is far less pompous to say "whom" than it is redneck to use "who" where "whom" is correct.

The sad thing is, it's really easy to use it correctly. :-|
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:56 am UTC

It's pretty easy to use "thou" correctly, too.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:22 am UTC

"goner"

yick.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:21 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:It's pretty easy to use "thou" correctly, too.

About whom art thou displeased? 'Whom' is just an infinitely better word than 'who'; something about that 'm' on the end (hoom hoooomm) makes it one of my favorite words.

Annoying words:

Here (it sounds similar to so many words that using it is always awkward (at least for me))

Exclamation

Almost every other word that begins with 'exc...'

Heck (it has the finality with the 'k' sound that 'fuck' has, but as a euphemism, it seems contradictory, and thus hate-inducing (it sounds like it should be harsher than 'hell', but isn't; what the hell?))
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

roc314 wrote:Almost every other word that begins with 'exc...'

excayseedy?
Jesus Christ you have confused me

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:24 pm UTC

roc314 wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:It's pretty easy to use "thou" correctly, too.

About whom art thou displeased? 'Whom' is just an infinitely better word than 'who'; something about that 'm' on the end (hoom hoooomm) makes it one of my favorite words.

Oh, I've got no reason to object to someone's aesthetic preferences. I just get sick of complaints like MotorToad's, about how "unfortunate" it is that no one's using words like these "correctly" any more.

Your post brings up another annoying thing, which is the syntactic contortions people sometimes go through to avoid ending a sentence with a preposition. Sure, sometimes syntactic contortions are fun, and saying "syntactic contortionism" certainly is. But people who think the more horribly reworded instances are somehow more correct than a much simpler sentence with a preposition at the end are bloody annoying.
---

(he/him/his)

roc314
Is dead, and you have killed him

Postby roc314 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Your post brings up another annoying thing, which is the syntactic contortions people sometimes go through to avoid ending a sentence with a preposition. Sure, sometimes syntactic contortions are fun, and saying "syntactic contortionism" certainly is. But people who think the more horribly reworded instances are somehow more correct than a much simpler sentence with a preposition at the end are bloody annoying.

Actually, I only phrased it like that to stave off criticism that I shouldn't tell others to use proper grammar when I could not use it myself. I personally agree with you that ending a sentence with a preposition is fine. Really, most ignored grammatical rules (like those two you mentioned) should be ignored; the only reason not to is to give yourself more flexibility in how to phrase things. (Or for the use of more enjoying words.)

EDIT: think of using 'whom' like using 'fora'. It's technically more correct, but the real reason to use it is because it sounds cooler.
Hippo: roc is the good little communist that lurks in us all
Richard Stallman: Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics, you can leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.
suffer-cait: roc's a pretty cool dude

MisterSteve

Postby MisterSteve » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:39 am UTC

I get incredibly annoyed by stupid corporate words (or rather, things people in my office think are ok to say).

"Can you action this?"

No, I will not.

"This has been furthered"

Eurgh.

"This needs to be progressed"

Extraneous words. Highly frustrating. Idiot people.

madAlric

Postby madAlric » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:19 am UTC

'Sick', used as a replacement for 'awesome' or 'cool'. I always parse it as 'disgusting' or 'ill'.

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:03 am UTC

Brooks wrote:Several threads in here about words you love, pretty words, and so on. But how about annoying, ugly, and awkward words?

Me, I hate "irrespective." Ugly word. "Regardless" is pretty much always a better choice, being stronger, prettier, and more clear. Of course, that leads some cretins to "irregardless" which is even worse than "irrespective," and merits a swift kick.

Pshh, irregardless is one of my favorite words. :D

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Why no e in 'judgment' in standard American English?

Postby skeptical scientist » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:27 am UTC

Why is there no e after the g in 'judgment' in standard American English? The Brits get it right, spelling the word 'judgement', but the American spelling makes no sense to me. Also, I hate that I always seem to misspell it.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Re: Why no e in 'judgment' in standard American English?

Postby RealGrouchy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:02 am UTC

That really bothered me when the Magic card set of the same name was released recently*

(*recently = shortly before I stopped paying attention to the game)

I have no idea why it is that way, though. Maybe if you were to pronounce "judgement" as though it were a german word, it means some sort of insult in Pennsylvania Dutch. :P

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Simbera

Postby Simbera » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:27 am UTC

I've heard in most places that it was just a misspelling that has become accepted, as happens all the time with other words, but this guy says it was a decision made by Webster when he wrote his dictionary. This could have been because he saw the misspelling frequently and considered it acceptable, though.

It isn't likely to be confused for a hard G because 'judge' is a common enough word that everyone knows how to pronounce it, but like these guys say, in every other case a G immediately before -ment means a hard G (pigment) and an E after the G means a soft G (arrangement, judgement) so it makes a lot more sense with the British/Australian/etc way.

<^>
“From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.” – Edvard Munch

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:18 am UTC

Simbera wrote:It isn't likely to be confused for a hard G
Perhaps you missed the smiley. :wink:

Merging this thread with "annoying words"

Edit: "traveler" looks anorexic without a double consonant in it.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:43 am UTC

People who think the more horribly reworded instances are somehow more correct than a much simpler sentence with a preposition at the end are bloody annoying though.

Fixed :P
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Simbera

Postby Simbera » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:43 pm UTC

Oh...to be honest I didn't really get what you meant by 'like a German word', so I kinda ignored that part. I was just saying "it's completely wrong and annoys the ever-living shit out of me, but I admit it makes little difference because nobody would make the mistake".

<^>
“From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.” – Edvard Munch

stolid

Postby stolid » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:20 am UTC

There are 2 words which I hate when used together:
Cloud
Computing

Buzzwords die already!
Registered Linux User #555399

Patman

Postby Patman » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

My favourite annoying words in bold.
Moist said by other males makes my insides invert. My old girlfriends mother used to call the cat pussy, imagine your potential in law calling to her sweet pussy. Vadge on that note is also pretty uck, makes me think of wads of meat. Tissue also welds aural displeasure potential; tish-oo OK, tis-yoo break your nose. Anonymity is a tongue stumbler. Uber can go to heck as it always sounds like half a word. Mastercate because chewing to much doesn't make you blind. Facey as a cutesy name for facecloth.

Heck, dang, dandy, swoon, injest and rad are nice words.

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

Awesome. Occasional use is ok, constant use is irritating.
Here I'm allowed everything all of the time

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:07 am UTC

I hate the word Aspie. It's so ugly. I'm disgusted knowing that it exists. And it was only just recently invented. I hate the person who first uttered it, and I hate everyone uses it.

I don't really hate anyone. I just hate the word. I hate it more than I've ever hated anything else. Ever.

skeptical scientist wrote:Why is there no e after the g in 'judgment' in standard American English? The Brits get it right, spelling the word 'judgement', but the American spelling makes no sense to me. Also, I hate that I always seem to misspell it.

I spell it judgement. Judgment looks horribly wrong. It reminds me of this school I used to go to which was called Wedgwood. The day my mom took me to registered, I stopped in horror and said, "Where's the E!? Oh, god, this school is going to suck." The school was also in a neighborhood called Wedgwood. When they made the student ID's that year, they accidentally spelled it Wedgewood, and all the students starting saying, "Look, we go to weggie-wood!" Idiots....
Last edited by Rilian on Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
And I'm -2.

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:06 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:Why is there no e after the g in 'judgment' in standard American English?

I don't think I've ever seen it spelled like that...Maybe I just didn't notice it. "Judgment" just looks retarded, if you ask me.

Anyway, I need to know the deal with opossum. Obviously when spoken it's "A 'possum," but when written do you still use "an" because it starts with an o, even if it's silent? "A opossum" looks wrong of course, but "An opossum" doesn't make much sense either. This and "an historical" drive me up the wall.
"We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us."Image

goofy

Postby goofy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:44 am UTC

gibberishtwist wrote:Anyway, I need to know the deal with opossum. Obviously when spoken it's "A 'possum," but when written do you still use "an" because it starts with an o, even if it's silent? "A opossum" looks wrong of course, but "An opossum" doesn't make much sense either. This and "an historical" drive me up the wall.

There's two words: opossum and possum.

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:38 am UTC

Last edited by gibberishtwist on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:47 am UTC

I was told that opossums and possums are different species that superficially resemble each other, but are actually only distantly related.
And I'm -2.

masher

Postby masher » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:03 am UTC

gibberishtwist wrote:Anyway, I need to know the deal with opossum. Obviously when spoken it's "A 'possum," but when written do you still use "an" because it starts with an o, even if it's silent? "A opossum" looks wrong of course, but "An opossum" doesn't make much sense either.

According to M-W, it's pronounced \(ə-)ˈpä-səm\, so it would be "an opossum".

This and "an historical" drive me up the wall.

Agreed. I always use "an".

I also just found out that I change my pronunciation depending on where it is in the sentence:

Historical events dictate that.... -> Historical
An historical event, such as.... -> An 'istorical

goofy

Postby goofy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:30 am UTC

gibberishtwist wrote:Dictionary.com disagrees. "Playing possum" is acceptable, but "I saw a possum" is not.

dictionary.com is not a dictionary, it is an aggregator, so it should be taken cum grano salis. But let's look at the entries (which it got from the Random House Unabridged Dictionary)

o⋅pos⋅sum
1. a prehensile-tailed marsupial, Didelphis virginiana, of the eastern U.S., the female having an abdominal pouch in which its young are carried: noted for the habit of feigning death when in danger.
2. any of various animals of related genera.

Compare possum.

pos⋅sum

1. opossum.

The OED on possum:

1. Any of various marsupial mammals of North and South America, esp. Didelphis virginiana; = OPOSSUM n. 1. Now colloq.

Seems clear enough. Two words for the same animal.

Gallus

Postby Gallus » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:44 am UTC

Possum. Oppossum.They have different Wikipedia pages, they can't possibly be the same thing.

goofy

Postby goofy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:49 am UTC

Gallus wrote:Possum. Oppossum.They have different Wikipedia pages, they can't possibly be the same thing.

Yes indeed, because reality is divided up by wikipedia.

fwiw note that the entry for possum says
Possum is also used in North America as a short form of Opossum.

Simbera

Postby Simbera » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:05 am UTC

Ah, ninja'd. But yeah; the Australian versions are just possums, the American versions are technically opossums and colloquially possums. Despite your snark about Wikipedia, it is definitely correct - they are two distinct animals.

Doesn't really solve the pronunciation problem, though.

I think we covered this a while ago - it's the pronunciation that determines which article you use, not the spelling. Which is why words that start with H occasionally take 'an', and why 'opossum' takes 'a', despite how awkward it might look.

<^>

sanny

Postby sanny » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:11 pm UTC

I think 'heigth' is terrible too. It never comes out of my mouth correctly.
I don't have problems with 'lol' though, but that's because it's a proper word meaning 'fun' in Dutch already. I do hate people trying to pronounce things like 'stfu'. That just sounds awful.
One of my favourite English words is 'knickers'. It just sounds so utterly British.

goofy

Postby goofy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

Simbera wrote:Ah, ninja'd. But yeah; the Australian versions are just possums, the American versions are technically opossums and colloquially possums. Despite your snark about Wikipedia, it is definitely correct - they are two distinct animals.

Doesn't really solve the pronunciation problem, though.

Sure it does. There are two words, and you can use either one. So some people say "an opossum" and some say "a possum".

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

Last edited by gibberishtwist on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

goofy

Postby goofy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

gibberishtwist wrote:But now we know that saying "A possum" would only be correct in Australia ;D

No, that's not true at all. The OED lists possum as a colloquial version of opossum. Random House defines possum as "opossum". They are synonymous, altho perhaps possum is less formal. But "less formal" does not mean "incorrect."

Simbera

Postby Simbera » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:32 am UTC

I like how you quoted me but cut out the part that disagrees with you.

Unless you actually pronounce the 'o' (which you might, IDK, but I have been led to believe that it's silent) it doesn't take 'an'. So it's 'a possum' or 'a opossum', just like it's 'a hammer' but 'an hour'. Repeat after me: pronunciation determines the article.

If you don't believe me, just try saying 'an opossum' out loud, not pronouncing the 'o', and it should grate on you sufficiently to see why the rule works.

The words are interchangeable - like you said, you can say either 'possum' or 'opossum' and they're both correct, just varyingly formal - but the rules for articles are consistent.

<^>

Return to “Language/Linguistics”