Portmanteaux

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Re: Portmanteaux

Postby OmenPigeon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:19 am UTC

Clearly none of you follow Xeni's posts on BoingBoing, or you'd be, ahem, intimately familiar with the world of teledildonics. Yes, thats right, internet-enabled sex toys. Whoever said you can't get laid over the web?
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:43 am UTC

I'm a fan of "punny".
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:29 pm UTC

My friend came up with a couple of crackers. "Combinate" - combine and create. But his best one has to be "Procrastibation" - the act of delaying masturbation so it's ultimately better in the long run.
Last edited by cypherspace on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:26 am UTC

I misread that as 'Probcrabstibation', which I guess would be the act of delaying masturbation because crabs keep biting your hand?
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Owehn

Postby Owehn » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:14 am UTC

JayDee wrote:I misread that as 'Probcrabstibation', which I guess would be the act of delaying masturbation because crabs keep biting your hand?

Correction: Because crabs are probably biting your hand.
[This space intentionally left blank.]

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

Change it to 'Probcrabstipation' and it becomes one's inability to defecate due to the fact that one is being probed by a crab.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Crabs! Crabs! CRAAAABS!

Postby Felstaff » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:02 pm UTC

Crabsolutely Crabulous.
I'll be taking a crabbatical this year.
A crab's morals are crabsolute. Except if they practice Kraballah.
That was incrabbable.
I'm calling for the crabolition of crab-slavery
A crab's favourite band are crABBA
Crab scientists work in a craboratory
They travel in taxicrabs
A crab betrayer is a backcrabber
Addicted crabs go to recrab
A hermit crab incrabits whatever shells it finds lying around
No crab sex = crabstaining

Sorry, I just needed to get the crabs out of my system. I think they have ointment for that.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:31 am UTC

Then there are the crabbots in the crabbey.
And they kill crab-cows in a crabbatoir.
There was that time when crab-kings would crabdicate the throne.
Jackson Pollocrab, the crabstract painter.

Oh god, please stop me.
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:30 am UTC

This is crabsolute craþ.
Yay for portmanteaUnicode! Although I don't think that's supposed to be a combo b/p, it works.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:35 am UTC

Actaeus wrote:This is crabsolute craþ.
Yay for portmanteaUnicode! Although I don't think that's supposed to be a combo b/p, it works.

Crath? That'n'd be a thorn.

Is one crabducted by pedophile crabs? Are there crabstract painters?

EDIT: Holy crab! That last one was done. Shame. I will crabscond myself.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:24 am UTC

You can't crabscond yourself. You crabscond after you, I don't know, crabduct someone. But that sort of behaviour is crabysmal. You'd best crabstain.
This entire conversation is crabsolutely crabbhorable. Can we crabscise this entire exchange from this thread? I for one crabjure my arthropodal punning. It's crabnormal behaviour from me, no more than a crabberation!
Are we all drinking crabsinthe?
Crabracadabra, I'm done.
(I crabpologize for this entire post. :oops:)
Last edited by liza on Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:17 am UTC

An inadvertent one, i once thought the word was confisticate.
Similarly, my ex didn't realize harpoon and lampoon are two different words.
Tom Cruise has less talent than Natalie has in her portmantoe.
wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmanteau says we're doing it rong, and we actually mean blends, but that's a little too pedantic, although it conjures "will it blend" scenarios,
spork, brunch, etc.
http://www.stripcreator.com/comics/arbi/419934/

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:01 am UTC

The opinion in the wikipeeja article that portmanteaux are really just "blends" is completely pedantiquated.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Rorgg

Postby Rorgg » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

I'm a fan of Schadenfreudelicious. We need more 6-syllable 2/3-German words.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

Charlie! wrote:popemobile

That would be a compmound word. The difference is that a portmanteau smushes two words together rather than just putting them next to each other.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

Herman

Postby Herman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

But his best one has to be "Procrastibation" - the act of delaying masturbation so it's ultimately better in the long run.

I thought that meant procrastinating *by* masturbating. As in, I just need to clear my head, and then I can finish this essay...

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

Herman wrote:
But his best one has to be "Procrastibation" - the act of delaying masturbation so it's ultimately better in the long run.

I thought that meant procrastinating *by* masturbating. As in, I just need to clear my head, and then I can finish this essay...

That makes more sense to me.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:59 am UTC

I told somebody yesterday to "stop procrasturbating and go make me a portmanteau!" Fortunately he got the linguistic joke, and we shared a chuckle. Then we patted each other on the back and did manly things.

So, there you go, procrasturbation has now entered the common lexicon. I believe the two differing accounts of what it means will rage long after history has forgotten us.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:53 pm UTC

Goddamn I love this topic. Felstaff my friend, you are a genius.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned "freegan". People who can afford to buy food, but eat out of the garbage in order to reduce society's consumption levels.

Wikipedia wrote:Freeganism is an anti-consumerism lifestyle whereby people employ alternative living strategies based on "limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources. Freegans embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed."[1] The lifestyle involves salvaging discarded, unspoiled food from supermarket dumpsters that have passed their sell by date, but are still edible and nutritious. They salvage the food not because they are poor or homeless, but as a political statement

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

at the request of the OP, i give you

"Noobliette" - a place you forget about noobs to forget about them.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

Can I chime in with 'hilariawesome' and 'disgustilarious'? Or would they be compound words? Either way, they're in my vocabulary for better or worse.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:Can I chime in with 'hilariawesome' and 'disgustilarious'? Or would they be compound words? Either way, they're in my vocabulary for better or worse.

They're portmanteaus.
Yes, I know the "proper" plural uses an X, but I refuse to acknowledge French linguistics!

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:39 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:disgustilarious
That, my friend, is a terribilific word. I do so like it.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:58 am UTC

aplologize - when you're trying to apologize for accidentally causing/doing/saying something bad but you cant help but laugh through it.

"HahAH oh, man, hahah i'm soo haha so sorry HEhEHEHE" i do this a lot.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:01 am UTC

I was sycofantasising/sycophantasising earlier, thinking about the cause and effect of pandering to the ego of my superiors.

Sycophantasy: "Maybe if I comment on my [superior]'s [item of clothing] he/she may give me a raise."
Implementation: "Hey boss, that tie makes you look like Yogi Bear. Have you tried not wearing anything else but the tie?"
Effect: "Clear out your desk."
"I don't have a desk."
"Well, put your stuff in Sue from accounting's desk, and then clear it out. You're fired."

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

Does adding random suffixes count as Portmanteaulating? Or is there another word for that...

During my Chemisty class today we were calculating masses from moles or somesuch, which I would describe as Avagadromizing .
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

parthenos

Postby parthenos » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

i always say ginourmous, hugemongous, gigantor, and the like. i like portmanteaux. i use them often, except the ones from advertising [EDIT]
maybe if this signature is witty enough someone will finally love me.

Ari

Postby Ari » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:aplologize - when you're trying to apologize for accidentally causing/doing/saying something bad but you cant help but laugh through it.

"HahAH oh, man, hahah i'm soo haha so sorry HEhEHEHE" i do this a lot.

At least you don't suffer from malapologism, where you insert "sorry" into all the wrong places ;)
"Hey %*&^er, offensive communication works fine so long as you do it respectfully." :D
"I am so quoting that out of context at a later date."

scalziand

Postby scalziand » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:01 am UTC

JayDee wrote:Does adding random suffixes count as Portmanteaulating? Or is there another word for that...

...Agglutination.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:36 am UTC

What is tween even a combination of?
It really pisses me off that people use that word to describe rotten scumbag spoiled brat snotty smelly annoying obnoxious preteens. Everyone knows that Tolkien invented the word to describe hobbits in their twenties, as they acted like human teenagers. If they aren't even allowed to say hobbit in Dungeons and Dragons, why the crap can people get away with saying tween? At least in D&D, they use the right meaning of the word they stole*!

Note: I know they never actually used the word hobbit, but can any true gamer honestly say he has never referred to a halfling as a hobbit?

Edit: I guess you guys can probably fathom my feelings for that particular age group. That's when kids think that they're old enough to actually be cool, but they aren't. At all.
Then you turn 14 and realize that you aren't cool. That's when stuff starts to get fun =D

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:23 am UTC

Tween; a redundant word comprised of 'teen' and 'between', i.e. a teenager, who is between the ages of 13-19. Tautological, clearly, and completely unnecessary. It was unfairly stolen off Tolkien and used nefariously by the meeja as a new buzzword for the Bratz generation, most probably because it sounds like 'twee' and is a more kitsch word than 'teen', which has collected up a fair few connotations--like a dirty snowball--since its inception in the 1950s.

It's a good thing parthenos used a coughing parenthesis there, otherwise my hackles would've been awoken from their apathetic slumber. Alas, I'll have to save my fist-raising-and-subsequent-shaking for something that stirs me more than the idiotic word tween.

Maybe celébutante.

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:27 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:...Maybe celébutante.

Using words like that... that's a paddlin'.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

parthenos

Postby parthenos » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:30 pm UTC

what IS a celebutante?
maybe if this signature is witty enough someone will finally love me.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Tween; a redundant word comprised of 'teen' and 'between', i.e. a teenager, who is between the ages of 13-19. Tautological, clearly, and completely unnecessary. It was unfairly stolen off Tolkien and used nefariously by the meeja as a new buzzword for the Bratz generation, most probably because it sounds like 'twee' and is a more kitsch word than 'teen', which has collected up a fair few connotations--like a dirty snowball--since its inception in the 1950s.

The popular usage of tween though isn't synonymous with teen; it means preteens around 8-13.

Eschatokyrios

Postby Eschatokyrios » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

Fat Tony wrote:
Felstaff wrote:Tween; a redundant word comprised of 'teen' and 'between', i.e. a teenager, who is between the ages of 13-19. Tautological, clearly, and completely unnecessary. It was unfairly stolen off Tolkien and used nefariously by the meeja as a new buzzword for the Bratz generation, most probably because it sounds like 'twee' and is a more kitsch word than 'teen', which has collected up a fair few connotations--like a dirty snowball--since its inception in the 1950s.

The popular usage of tween though isn't synonymous with teen; it means preteens around 8-13.

And Tolkien used the word to describe people older than teenagers - Hobbits out of their teens but younger than 33, the Hobbit age of majority. One of Pippen and Merry, or perhaps both, were mentioned to have been tweens at one point, although I don't remember if that was at the time of Bilbo's birthday party or when they actually began the quest of the ring.

As for portmanteaux, the anime I am watching right now is called "Tsuyokiss", which I assume is a portmanteaux of Japanese "tsuyoku" and English "kiss". It seems plausible, anyway.
კაცი ბჭობდა, ღმერთი იცინოდაო
k'atsi bch'obda, ghmerti itsinodao
"Man was discussing, God was laughing"
-Georgian proverb

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

Your crapacity is BS, or the amount of crap you can take from people. Mine is deplorably low.
"Hello" is the hell you go through while Halo is downloading. I haven't played in a year, so I need to download a new version of the trial.
My shamefully pirated full version has broken due to insufficient Karma.
IT'S DONE! hold on, I need to install it...

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:27 am UTC

Fat Tony wrote:

I had an occasional supply teacher at my high school, who would call us "tweens" in one particular year because (he said) it was a combination of twelve and thirteen. He didn't want to call us teens, because some of us weren't, and didn't want to say kids, for the same reason. Therefore...
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:42 am UTC

Twincest.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

eternal luna wrote:Twincest.

That's terrifible.

Spadly

Postby Spadly » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

Random suffixes...I think that's kinda portmanteau...ing isn't it? Whether it is or not, it's one of the biggest annoyances that marketing teams can come up with, for instance: adding "-licious" onto the end of anything. The most despicable one I've seen is "doggylicious" I think...eurrghh :shock:
"The problem with the future is that it keeps becoming the present."

Return to “Language/Linguistics”