Say something in an Indian language?

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

tendays

Say something in an Indian language?

Postby tendays » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:51 am UTC

Seeing we have language threads for French and Spanish and German and Chinese and more I thought I'd see if we could have one for Indian languages?

मैं शुरु करूँगा... अगर कोई यह साब पढ़ सकता है तो आगे आके कुछ बोलिये! (I'll start... If somebody can read all this, come forward and say something)

எனக்கு கொஞ்சம் தமிழும் பேச முடியும், ஆனா இன்னும் ரொம்ப படிக்கணும்! (I can also speak some Tamil but I still have to study a lot more)

എനിക്ക് കുരച്ചു മലയാളം ആരിയം. നിങ്ങള്ക്ക് ആരിയമെങ്കില് ഇവിടെ എഴുതണം! (I know some Malayalam. If you know Malayalam you have to say (write) it here!) (My knowledge of Malayalam is so terrible that I can only make weird sounding sentences. It seems very difficult to find material for that language, or people who both know it and have time to teach me) :-(

(आशा करता हूँ कि मुझे अलावा कोई कुछ लिखनेवला है :-) )

(EDITS: Removed extraneous "if", added a missing accent)
Last edited by tendays on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:04 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
<Will> s/hate/love/
Hammer wrote:We are only mildly modly. :D
Beware of the shrolymerase!

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Say something in an Indian language?

Postby Felstaff » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:32 pm UTC

All I know is Jaldi se theek ho jaao, which is get well soon in Hindi. When a colleague was off sick, I had to ask the neighbour kids to translate some phrases for me, so I said what's "get well soon"? and they told me. As it worked so well, I started asking for more translations... They got cocky. Long story short, I ended up telling my work mate how badly my feet smell.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

I can understand some Bangla from growing up around it. But sadly, I never learned enough to where I could really speak it to any reasonable degree... KF
~Kizyr

tendays

Postby tendays » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:All I know is Jaldi se theek ho jaao, which is get well soon in Hindi.

Yes I can confirm that one :-)
That got me some major kudos with an aspiring Bollywood actress! When a (totally hot) colleague was off sick, I had to ask the neighbour kids (8-12yo) to translate some phrases for me, so I said what's "get well soon"? and they told me. As it worked so well, I started asking for more translations... They got cocky. Long story short, I ended up telling my sexy work mate how badly my feet smell.

:-)

I'm exchanging letters in Malayalam with a girl in India and for most of it I still need to ask a friend for help (both for writing mine and reading her replies). So, yeah, I hope he doesn't make me say bad things!! ;-) (And then translate to me her pissed off answer by "thank you for your nice letter" or something)
<Will> s/hate/love/

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:22 pm UTC

अहंनवदामिसंस्कृतं
Yeah, that's all I've got.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

tendays

Postby tendays » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:41 pm UTC

gmalivuk: What does it mean? I see "sanskritam" but don't know what the first half means?
<Will> s/hate/love/

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

The first half means "I do not speak" :-)

अहं न वदामि संस्कृतं is how the words break up if you're going to be lame and use spaces between words.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing

Postby Number3Pencils » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

This was the first thing I thought of. You never specified what kind of Indian!
I have a Cherokee textbook at home. Someday I should learn it, when I have time, just for fun. AllI romomber is that "Cherokee" is "Tsalagi".
Spoiler:

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:I can understand some Bangla from growing up around it. But sadly, I never learned enough to where I could really speak it to any reasonable degree... KF

I am Bangali. So I can pretty much understand and speak it and such. I taught the boy how to say "Ami dushtu chele" which means "I'm a naughty boy", and has been a source of great amusement for us. He doesn't know how to say much else.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

argyl3 wrote:
Kizyr wrote:I can understand some Bangla from growing up around it. But sadly, I never learned enough to where I could really speak it to any reasonable degree... KF

I am Bangali. So I can pretty much understand and speak it and such. I taught the boy how to say "Ami dushtu chele" which means "I'm a naughty boy", and has been a source of great amusement for us. He doesn't know how to say much else.

Pretty much every phrase that involves the words "dushtu", "khau/khabhi" ('eat'--not sure how to romanize it), "bokha [chele]", etc., I learned growing up from my parents.

Of course, on account of that, if I hear phrases like "dushtu chele" it always makes me laugh and remember when I was growing up.

I'll also yell "dhuro!" or "ahareh" (again, not sure how to romanize it) instead of swearing when something goes wrong. Usually while driving. KF
~Kizyr

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:14 am UTC

I've been subject to the linguistic equivalent of rickrolling by the neighbour kids before, so no mistranslations--please! Everyone mocks me for being a monolinguistical ignoramus as it is.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

windshrike

Postby windshrike » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:30 am UTC

I'm Malayali, and I can understand it spoken, but I can't read what you posted, mainly because I don't have the right font(and I can't read the characters anyway). Though if you're sending this to a girl, I don't think I can ask my parents to translate :shock: .

tendays

Postby tendays » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:34 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:I want to send this hot actress a sher, in Hindi. A nice one, that's cute and funny, and none too forthcoming.
Anyone know any good/lovely/awww-that's-so-sweet! ones? (And their subsequent literal translations?*)

Would something from a Hindi movie song do? I have tons of those! :-) What do you want it to say?

Also, would it be good or bad if it's a famous one that she'd probably recognise?

EDIT to add:

*I've been subject to the linguistic equivalent of rickrolling by the neighbour kids before, so no mistranslations--please! Everyone mocks me for being a monolinguistical ignoramus as it is.

... I'm pondering the possibility of sending you a translation of "never gonna give you up" (spoiler: tumhe kabhi nahi chor dunga!) ...

windshrike wrote:I'm Malayali,

Namaskaram! Ninngal nokki enikku santosham :-) (That may very well make no sense at all - I tried to write "nice to meet you")
and I can understand it spoken, but I can't read what you posted,

I wrote "enikku kurachu malayaalam aariyam. ninngalkku aariyamengil ivide ezhutanam", meaning "I know some Malayalam. If you know Malayalam you have to say (write) it here!".
<Will> s/hate/love/

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:56 am UTC

tendays wrote:Also, would it be good or bad if it's a famous one that she'd probably recognise?

She's a Bollywood movie starlet (well, upcoming) with a few TV roles on some popular shows (I can't remember the names, and I don't have Zee TV) that are currently running. She has an encyclopædic knowledge of Hindi films and it would be major kudos to me if I showed her one from a popular fillum. I remember her raving about one called, uh, Yahaan? It began with a Y and had a double A in it. It came out 2006-2007ish.

tendays

Postby tendays » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:03 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
tendays wrote:Also, would it be good or bad if it's a famous one that she'd probably recognise?

She's a Bollywood movie starlet (well, upcoming) with a few TV roles on some popular shows (I can't remember the names, and I don't have Zee TV) that are currently running. She has an encyclopædic knowledge of Hindi films and it would be major kudos to me if I showed her one from a popular fillum. I remember her raving about one called, uh, Yahaan? It began with a Y and had a double A in it. It came out 2006-2007ish.

*jawdrop* ;-) I'll try to forget I'm going to write something that will eventually be read by that person otherwise I wouldn't be able to concentrate ;-)

I'll think of something and come back to you. Also, Imdb says there's indeed a film called "yahaan" (2005) but I haven't seen it. "Yahaan" (यहाँ) means "here", if you want to know.
Last edited by tendays on Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
<Will> s/hate/love/

tendays

Postby tendays » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

Sorry for the double post - just want to make sure this addendum is seen :)

Felstaff, would this do? (starts around 0:50)

The lyrics say:
"Tum paas aae (you came near me),
"yoõ muskuraae (smiling like that)...
"tumne na jaane kya (Didn't you know),
"sapne dikhaae (you made me dream (literally, you showed me dreams))...
"Ab to mera dil (Now my heart)
"Jaage na sauta hai (is neither awake nor sleeping).
"Kya karoõ haae (What should I do?)
"Kuchh kuchh hota hai (Something is happening)..."

In the beginning I would replace "aae" by "aai" and "muskuraae" by "muskuraai" to make it clear you are talking about a girl. (long "i" like in the English verb "to see")

I don't know if you can hear it in the song but what I wrote as "oõ" is a regular "oo", but nasalised.

That's a super famous song so she'd recognise it instantly, especially as it contains the movie name, "Kuchh kuchh hota hai".

If this is not good I can find something else. (Also I didn't translate the entire song)
<Will> s/hate/love/

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:01 am UTC

A-ha, the old Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. As someone whose knowledge of Hindi movies is limited to Hindiana Jones and the Temple of Poon, even I know this movie! It's like the Grease of the Bollywood world. Only, y'know, with more pregnancy and death.

You, sir, are a god among men, and may the rays of a thousand suns light your path/blind your enemies forever more.

steewi

Postby steewi » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:53 am UTC

How about Pardesi from the classic Raja Hindustani. Includes the chorus "foreigner, foreigner, don't go and leave me. Foreigner, my friend - keep your promise! ..."

goofy

Postby goofy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:26 pm UTC

tendays wrote:"Yahaan" (यहान) means "here", if you want to know.

यहां

tendays wrote:मैं शुरु करूँगा... अगर कोई यह साब पढ़ सकता है तो आगे आके कुछ बोलिये!

मैं नौशिख हूँ लेकिन मैं वह पढ़ सकता हूँ।

tendays wrote:എനിക്ക് കുരച്ചു മലയാളം ആരിയം. നിങ്ങള്ക്ക് ആരിയമെങ്കില് ഇവിടെ എഴുതണം! (I know some Malayalam. If you know Malayalam you have to say (write) it here!) (My knowledge of Malayalam is so terrible that I can only make weird sounding sentences. It seems very difficult to find material for that language, or people who both know it and have time to teach me)

The only book I've found is Learn Malayalam in 30 Days which is basically useless.

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

A friend of mine who is a retired teacher (who still is involved in school-business of his former school) told me that they needed the text 'Welcome to the Marie-Curie Realschule' in Bengali for some form of project. I can't create IPA-Strings well, but a rough approximation of the name of the school would be: /ma:'ʁiː: kyː:'ʁiː: ʁeː:'ʔaːl:ʃuː:lə:/ Could any kind soul please provide a translation in writing and speech?
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

tendays

Postby tendays » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:18 am UTC

goofy wrote:
tendays wrote:"Yahaan" (यहान) means "here", if you want to know.

यहां

अपना पोस्ट बदल दीया, थाँक्स। लेकिन मुझे लगता है कि यह "यहाँ" होना चहिऐ..?

मैं नौशिख हूँ लेकिन मैं वह पढ़ सकता हूँ।

"नौशिख" का मतलब क्या है?

tendays wrote:എനിക്ക് കുരച്ചു മലയാളം ആരിയം. നിങ്ങള്ക്ക് ആരിയമെങ്കില് ഇവിടെ എഴുതണം! (I know some Malayalam. If you know Malayalam you have to say (write) it here!) (My knowledge of Malayalam is so terrible that I can only make weird sounding sentences. It seems very difficult to find material for that language, or people who both know it and have time to teach me)

The only book I've found is Learn Malayalam in 30 Days which is basically useless.

I finally found (but only after coming to India) a book called "Conversational Malayalam" which is not excellent but enough to learn. For some reason all books I found for South Indian languages use almost exclusively transliteration, as if the authors think that learners don't want to learn the script or would be scared off or something. So because of that I need to learn their transliteration system. Also, for that Malayalam book they use an ambiguous one, where for instance both അക and അഗ would be transliterated 'aga'. Not cool.

EDIT to add:
Hurduser wrote:A friend of mine who is a retired teacher (who still is involved in school-business of his former school) told me that they needed the text 'Welcome to the Marie-Curie Realschule' in Bengali for some form of project. I can't create IPA-Strings well, but a rough approximation of the name of the school would be: /ma:'ʁiː: kyː:'ʁiː: ʁeː:'ʔaːl:ʃuː:lə:/ Could any kind soul please provide a translation in writing and speech?

I can't really help because I don't know Bengali, and I can't read IPA. The closest I can do is Hindi:

मरी क्युरी रैअलशूलै में आहका स्वागत है

EDIT: fixed spelling ("मतलब")
Last edited by tendays on Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
<Will> s/hate/love/

neelakantankk

Postby neelakantankk » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:52 pm UTC

I don't have the requisite font. I guess I shall have to use English.

tendays wrote:"नौशिख" का सतलब क्या है?

I believe he means "nausikiya" which means novice.
Mary had a little sheep, little sheep, little sheep.
With the sheep, she went to sleep, went to sleep, went to sleep.
But the sheep turned out to be a ram,
Mary had a little lamb.

tendays

Postby tendays » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

neelakantankk wrote:

Okay :)

Also I just noticed, when seeing it quoted in your post, that I wrote मतलब with an unusual spelling :)
<Will> s/hate/love/

neelakantankk

Postby neelakantankk » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

Ha ha troo troo.

Accha, yeh font kahaan se liya zaraa bataoge?
Mary had a little sheep, little sheep, little sheep.
With the sheep, she went to sleep, went to sleep, went to sleep.
But the sheep turned out to be a ram,
Mary had a little lamb.

Celtic Minstrel

Postby Celtic Minstrel » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:57 am UTC

Whoa, there seems to be a lot of people here who speak Indian languages. This makes me happy. :D

tendays

Postby tendays » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:43 am UTC

neelakantankk wrote:Accha, yeh font kahaan se liya zaraa bataoge?

आपको फ़ोंट, या कीमैप च? क्योंकी, अगर आप यह सब पढ़ सकते हैं तो फ़ोंट ठीक से लगाया... लिखने के लिये कीमैप चहिये. कौनसा OS का इस्तेमाल करते हैं? कुबुंतु में सब कुछ तैयर ही था... बस keyboard configuration dialog में इंडिया पे click करके लिखने चलो :-) (और मैंने एक shortcut भी लगा दिया, तो अब अपना कीमैप असानी से qwerty या हिंदी को बदला सकता हूँ)

(You'll get information about fonts and keymaps and input methods at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Multilingual_support_(Indic))
<Will> s/hate/love/

goofy

Postby goofy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:02 am UTC

neelakantankk wrote:I don't have the requisite font. I guess I shall have to use English.

Yes, and I should have written नौसिख or better, नौसिखिया.

bobolikebeer

Postby bobolikebeer » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:30 am UTC

Mai lalgand (gora) hu. Mai itna bevkoof nehi hu.

Oh, yeah, and just because it has to be done...

Teri maa ki !!!

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:25 am UTC

Pardon the bump, but:
tendays wrote:मैं शुरु करूँगा... अगर कोई यह साब पढ़ सकता है तो आगे आके कुछ बोलिये!

यह "सब" होना चाहिए, ना?

tendays wrote:(आशा करता हूँ कि मुझे अलावा कोई कुछ लिखनेवला है :-) )

"लिखनेवाला"|

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

I love all kinds of scripts, so I can read some Tamil (and type it too: தமிழ், thank you Anjal), and I can read it without an American accent (thank you IPA), but I have no clue what I'm saying. :P

nardraka

Postby nardraka » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:04 am UTC

Mein aapka original post samajh sakti hoon. Lekin aapke is vaakya " आशा करता हूँ कि मुझे अलावा कोई कुछ लिखनेवला है " mein ek chhoti si galti hai. "Asha karta hoon ki mere ( NOT mujhe) alava koi kuch liknevala hai" :-)

Baaki aapi Hindi aur fonts - dono bahut hi acche hai!

mastered

Postby mastered » Sun May 10, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

dalahäst wrote:I love all kinds of scripts, so I can read some Tamil (and type it too: தமிழ், thank you Anjal), and I can read it without an American accent (thank you IPA), but I have no clue what I'm saying. :P

I can speak colloquial Tamil quite fluently, so if you have any questions...
Things are only impossible until they aren't. - Cpt. Picard

Fryie

Postby Fryie » Sun May 10, 2009 5:34 pm UTC

நான் கொஞ்சம் தமிழ் படித்தாலும், என்னால் நன்றாக பேச முடியாது.
(Was that correct?)

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Sun May 10, 2009 5:49 pm UTC

I don't know, but I've always thought Tamil looks pretty. I've heard it's so nice and round because it was designed to write on palm leaves without breaking them. Too many straight lines caused tears, and it was hard to make lines that were very straight on them in the first place.

mastered

Postby mastered » Sun May 10, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

Fryie wrote:நான் கொஞ்சம் தமிழ் படித்தாலும், என்னால் நன்றாக பேச முடியாது.
(Was that correct?)

It makes sense, although படித்தாலும், என்னால் would probably be said படிக்க தெரியும், ஆனா. It's kind of like the difference in between "Although I can read some Tamil, I still can't speak well" and "I can read some Tamil, but I can't speak very well".
Things are only impossible until they aren't. - Cpt. Picard

goofy

Postby goofy » Sun May 10, 2009 11:34 pm UTC

dalahäst wrote:I don't know, but I've always thought Tamil looks pretty. I've heard it's so nice and round because it was designed to write on palm leaves without breaking them. Too many straight lines caused tears, and it was hard to make lines that were very straight on them in the first place.

That's what I've heard. But Tamil does have a lot of straight lines. Maybe it didn't always. otoh Sinhala has almost no straight lines.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Mon May 11, 2009 12:17 am UTC

goofy wrote:
dalahäst wrote:I don't know, but I've always thought Tamil looks pretty. I've heard it's so nice and round because it was designed to write on palm leaves without breaking them. Too many straight lines caused tears, and it was hard to make lines that were very straight on them in the first place.

That's what I've heard. But Tamil does have a lot of straight lines. Maybe it didn't always. otoh Sinhala has almost no straight lines.

Burmese script (ca-lonh) is curved for this very reason. I wouldn't be surprised if similar reasons existed in other South and Southeast Asian scripts. Though, I haven't heard anything specific about that (re: writing on leaves) for anything besides Burmese. KF
~Kizyr

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Mon May 11, 2009 3:23 am UTC

Zaavtrika aguda hwanga.

Make me some breakfast.

Siberian Yupik anyone?
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.

godonlyknows620

Postby godonlyknows620 » Mon May 11, 2009 3:22 pm UTC

Anybody that knows Kannada?

ನನ್ನಿಗೆ ಕನ್ನಡ ನಲ್ಲಿ spelling ಸರಿಯಾಗಿ ಬರಲ್ಲ!

[I know, I cheated.]

My written hindi is better than my written Kannada since I took a class. Not so for spoken, however.

मैं हिंदी समझ सकती हूँ पर हिंदी में बातचीत करना बहुत शर्म है...

Also, what do you guys use for transliteration. I used to only know of Baraha, but Google has developed a very useful tool
http://www.google.com/transliterate/indic/

Instead of using wierd capitals, you can pretty much type it the way it sounds.

dalahäst

Postby dalahäst » Mon May 11, 2009 6:19 pm UTC

Cool, Google Indic Transliteration, that's new! :) Apple licensed Anjal's input method for Tamil, though, so I have the equivalent of that in my menu bar.

பன்னு வேண்டும். It's Lolcat-style "do want". Conversely, பன்னு வேண்டம் = "do not want".

Return to “Language/Linguistics”