Mluvíme česky! (Czech practice)

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

stevekl

Mluvíme česky! (Czech practice)

Postby stevekl » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:22 pm UTC

Mluvíš česky? Chceš hovořit?

Meowsma

Re: Mluvíme česky! (Czech practice)

Postby Meowsma » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:23 am UTC

Omlouvám se, nemluvím česky.

It's on my list of languages to learn, but preliminary study has shown it to be pretty damn complicated, so it's on the back burner.

Jak se mas seems to get me by in these parts. =)

--Meowsma

stevekl

Postby stevekl » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:35 pm UTC

Well, there are seven cases for the nouns, including the vocative, more than most other Slavic languages, but on the other hand, when you learn the vocative, you go around for the next few weeks addressing inanimate objects and bugs, which is pretty cool. My problem is that I know the grammar, but my vocabulary is very weak, thus the desire for practice.

VPeric

Postby VPeric » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:37 am UTC

stevekl wrote:Well, there are seven cases for the nouns, including the vocative, more than most other Slavic languages,

I have to point out that Serbian also has 7 cases. I'd recommend learning Serbian just for the pronunciation goodness. ;)

la_negra

Postby la_negra » Sun May 04, 2008 8:52 pm UTC

I am Czech, so if you need some help or if you just want to talk in Czech, there is no problem.
Jsem z Česka, takže jestli potřebujete pomoct nebo si jen chcete popovídat česky, není problém.
From city to city, from dawn to dawn and the whole generation is on the run. Goodbye to the past, hello to the future, as the struggle continues, there's no fate... http://www.la-negra.ic.cz

Borealis

Postby Borealis » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:43 am UTC

Ahoj!
Já nemluvím hodně česky.

I love how in Czech the word for table is stůl. Coincidences like that crack me up.

Na shledanou.

Dantez

Postby Dantez » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

Jojo, mluvím česky, vzhledem k tomu, že jsem čech. :D Nějaké dotazy? :)
Spoiler:
How many Sol Badguys does it take to screw in a Lightbulb?
I dunno.
GUN FLAME!!!

Borja

Postby Borja » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:29 am UTC

Ahoj!
I just begin to learn Czech, I was wondering if you could help me if I ever need it
At the point I don't think I'm having any problem but one: what Oni means? I'm not sure if it's like You (in a formal way) or you in plural or what, because it's different from ty
Sorry if I have a bad English, it's not my native language, but I'm trying to improve it (any suggestions will be taken :oops:).

Dantez

Postby Dantez » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:19 pm UTC

Borja wrote:Ahoj!
I just begin to learn Czech, I was wondering if you could help me if I ever need it
At the point I don't think I'm having any problem but one: what Oni means? I'm not sure if it's like You (in a formal way) or you in plural or what, because it's different from ty
Sorry if I have a bad English, it's not my native language, but I'm trying to improve it (any suggestions will be taken :oops:).

Oni = They. :) If you want to say You(in a formal way), you use "Vy", and if you want to say You(in plural), you also say "Vy". :D
Spoiler:
How many Sol Badguys does it take to screw in a Lightbulb?
I dunno.
GUN FLAME!!!

Auranghzeb

Postby Auranghzeb » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:48 am UTC

Hi, this is my best friend web page she teches czech. Im trrying to learn too, but is pretty damn complicated. If you are interested she is a good teacher.

www.mluvime.com

Twelfthroot

Postby Twelfthroot » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:00 pm UTC

I love how in Czech the word for table is stůl. Coincidences like that crack me up.

If you mean how it sounds like stool, that's actually most likely not a coincidence (aside from how well the actual pronunciations coincide). Together with the German word Stuhl ('chair') and other examples, it probably goes back to Proto-Indo-European *stālo, with a related meaning of 'to stand'.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/stool

Return to “Language/Linguistics”