Spreek Nederlands en Praat Afrikaans (Dutch & Afrikaans)

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

ZLVT

Spreek Nederlands en Praat Afrikaans (Dutch & Afrikaans)

Postby ZLVT » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:22 am UTC

Hier kan je spreken Nederlands (of Engels als je wilt) en de Nederlandse taal leren.
OOK
Hier, jy kan Afrikaans praat (of Engels al jy wil) en leer die Afrikaans taal.

As you can see, Afrikaans and Dutch are rather similar. The "ij" in Dutch has been pretty much systematically turned into a "y" in Afrikaans, and Afrikaans doesn't conjugate verbs (much). The Dutch "zal (zullen) becomes "Sal" in Afrikaans. so, yeah, let the Dutch learn Afrikaans, let the Afrikaaners learn Dutch and let the Anglos sit back and scratch their heads. YAY.

Enjoy

P.S. GEEN STREEKTAAL EN GEEN AFKORTINGEN! a -ch- is a -ch- and NOT a -g- Echt is echt and not egt, gewoon is NOT gwn, waarom is NOT wrm. ALSJEBLEIF!
Last edited by ZLVT on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:25 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

jaap

Re: Spreek Nederlands en Praat Afrikaans (Dutch & Afrikaans)

Postby jaap » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:53 am UTC

ZLVT wrote:Hier jij kan spreek Nederlands (of Engels als jij wilt) en leer de Nederlands taal.

The Dutch version should be:
Hier kan je Nederlands spreken (of Engels als je wilt) en de Nederlandse taal leren.

I think most verb forms in Afrikaans have been somewhat simplified compared to Dutch.
Ik denk dat de meeste werkwoord verbuigingen wat versimpeld zijn vergeleken met Nederlands.

In Dutch, 'jij' is often changed to 'je' unless it is emphasised.
In het Nederlands wordt 'jij' vaak veranderd in 'je', tenzij er nadruk op ligt.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:58 am UTC

Hallo!

My naam (or eerder my... uhm... alter ego se naam) is Moo. Ek is Afrikaans, gebore en groot geword in Suid Afrika. Ek woon in Engeland saam my Britse man, bekend op die fora as "Hubby".

Ek is baie lief vir en baie trots op Afrikaans. Dit is 'n unieke taal van 'n unieke kultuur wat gevorm is uit mense van regoor die wêreld wat moes vlug en veg vir dit waarin hul glo, en hulle eie bestaansreg.

Ek geniet dit in Engeland maar ek hoop om eendag terug te trek na Suid Afrika.

Daar is baie Afrikaanssprekendes in London maar ek spandeer nie so baie tyd met hulle nie, ek hou daarvan om eerder Britse lewe te ervaar. Ek het wel Suid Afrikaanse vriende en gaan na 'n Suid Afrikaanse (Afrikaanse) kerk.

Dit is baie lekker om ander xkcd fora lede te ontmoet wat Afrikaans en Nederlands praat, of meer wil weet van die tale. Bly te kenne! En dankie vir die stig van die gesprek, ZVLT.

Groetnis,

Moo.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:50 am UTC

jaap wrote:The Dutch version should be:
Hier kan je Nederlands spreken (of Engels als je wilt) en de Nederlandse taal leren.

DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT! I knew about spreken and leren but I forgot! DAMN IT! My grammar is usually good, my syntax is horrible. And I know about jij-je but I'm not adept at knowing when to do which, I usually say je but I was even thinking of using U.
Why is it hier kan je and not hier je kan? I thought the subject preceedes the verb except for questions.

jaap

Postby jaap » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:50 am UTC

ZLVT wrote:Why is it hier kan je and not hier je kan? I thought the subject preceedes the verb except for questions.

That's a good question. I never realised before that this is a construct where Dutch and German differ from English.
It most often happens when a sentence starts with a place ('Hier', 'Daar', 'Op het vliegveld', etc.) or a time ('Nu', 'Later', 'Vanavond', 'Toen we op het vliegveld waren' etc.). This kind of takes the place of the subject, so that the actual subject is then deferred till after the verb.
Example:
Op het vliegveld mag je niet roken.
Toen we op het vliegveld waren, kochten we sigaretten.

It does not have to be a time or place though. It can be any word or phrase that modifies the verb or whole sentence.

Als we geluk hebben vertrekt het vliegtuig op tijd.
Natuurlijk hebben we geen geluk.
Zo te zien is het slecht weer.

It is possible to change the word order so that the subject/verb are in normal order with the modifying phrase or word after the verb. If it's a phrase, it is then usually placed between commas.

Het vliegtuig vertrekt, als we geluk hebben, op tijd.
We hebben natuurlijk geen geluk.
Het is, zo te zien, slecht weer.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

ooo, let's give my öber translation skillz a whirl shall we, to be hinest i do use online dictionaries for many words.

hmm, im tired and have an exam tomorrow i'll edit it later. Don't judge me yet!

Moo wrote:Hallo!

My naam (or eerder my... uhm... alter ego se naam) is Moo. Ek is Afrikaans, gebore en groot geword in Suid Afrika. Ek woon in Engeland saam my Britse man, bekend op die fora as "Hubby".

Hello, my name (or rather my... uhm... alter ego's, say, name) is Moo. I am african [afrikaans], born and raised in South Africa. I live in England with my British man, well known on the fora as "Hubby"

Moo wrote:Ek is baie lief vir en baie trots op Afrikaans. Dit is 'n unieke taal van 'n unieke kultuur wat gevorm is uit mense van regoor die wêreld wat moes vlug en veg vir dit waarin hul glo, en hulle eie bestaansreg.

I am very affectionate and proud of Afrikaans. It is a unique language of a unique culture that is [gevorm] from men of [regoor] the world what must agile[?] and [other stuff]

Moo wrote:Ek geniet dit in Engeland maar ek hoop om eendag terug te trek na Suid Afrika.

I enjoy it in England but I hope to one day return to South Africa.

Moo wrote:Daar is baie Afrikaanssprekendes in London maar ek spandeer nie so baie tyd met hulle nie, ek hou daarvan om eerder Britse lewe te ervaar. Ek het wel Suid Afrikaanse vriende en gaan na 'n Suid Afrikaanse (Afrikaanse) kerk.

There are many Afrikaans speakers in London but I don't spend so much time with them, I love

Moo wrote:Dit is baie lekker om ander xkcd fora lede te ontmoet wat Afrikaans en Nederlands praat, of meer wil weet van die tale. Bly te kenne! En dankie vir die stig van die gesprek, ZVLT.

Groetnis,

Moo.

um, it is very good because other XKCD fora afflictions overly meet what Afrikaans and Dutch say [other stuff]

what's "stig"?

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:28 pm UTC

He he, I should have added the English. Hit and miss there ZVLT but for a non-native speaker who doesn't get to practise much, not that bad. The internet translations were mostly horribly wrong though ;)

Just one thing, this is a pet peeve so sorry to take it out on you, but
AFRIKAANS <> AFRICAN!!!!!!!
Afrikaans is a language spoken by around 5 million people, less than 14% of the population, of a small country on the tip of Africa, which mostly descends from Dutch.
African denotes hailing from the huge continent of Africa where there are more than 2000 languages spoken.
It's even misleading since the Afrikaans are one of the few (if not only) nations that are African but are not of African, but European, descent.

I sacrificed the flow and grammar of the English here and there to more closely resemble the Afrikaans phrasing. Spoilered for ZVLT if he wants to continue practicing his translation on the original.
Spoiler:
Hello!

My name is (or rather, my alter ego's name) is Moo. I am Afrikaans, born and raised in South Africa. I live in England with my British husband (man [Afr] means both man [Eng] and husband), known on the fora as "Hubby".

I love very much and am very proud of Afrikaans. It is a unique language of a unique culture which was formed from people from right accross the world that had to flee and fight for that which they believe in, and their own right to exist.

I enjoy it in England but I hope to one day move back to South Africa.

There are many Afrikaans speakers in London but I spend not that much time with them, I prefer rather to experience British life. I do have South African friends and go to a South African (Afrikaans) church.

It is very nice to meet other xkcd fora members that speak Afrikaans and Dutch, or want to know more about the languages. Nice to meet you! And thank you for starting/creating/setting up the conversation (since I don't know what thread in this context would be in Afr), ZVLT.

Greetings,

Moo.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:04 am UTC

Moo wrote:AFRIKAANS <> AFRICAN!!!!!!!

Fear not, it pisses me off too, I always wondered why the translator said English-African ; Afrikaans-Engels, then i learnt what Afrikaans means and now i wonder why we dont translate it like we do with all other languages.

I have a dream, that we can set up a dictionary (wikictionary) where u can request more clarification on an aspect of a word's translation and ppl would come and fix it for you, with enough ppl and time we could get an awesome translation thing going

the ones I usually use are: http://www.majstro.com/Web/Majstro/taleninfo/afr_en.php and http://www.freedict.com/onldict/afr.html

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:32 am UTC

hmm mag ik niet gewoon lekker Nederlands praten hier zonder vertaling eronder? Kunnen we lekker roddelen over andere forumleden :P

Nee dat laatste meen ik natuurlijk niet ;)

Ik ben erg trots op de Nederlandse taal, en mijn Nederlandse afkomst. Ik ben mijn moederstaal goed machtig, en weet mezelf goed uit te drukken.
Ik schrijf ook graag verhalen in het Nederlands. In Londen heb ik geen vrienden die Nederlands spreken, maar ik heb wel veel contact met het thuisfront via msn en per mail.

En ik pm met Moo in het Afrikaans/Ned ^^ Het lijkt mij wel leuk om wat Afrikaans te leren :D

[edit] ik vind baie wel een leuk woord, is dat hetzelfde als 'erg/zeer' (als in 'behoorlijk', niet als zelfstandig naamwoord) in het Nl?
This too shall pass

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:47 am UTC

Artemisia wrote:Nee dat laatste meen ik natuurlijk niet

Ja ... natuurlijk ... O mijn God! Hebben jullie gezien wat dit mens "ZLVT" heeft gebiechten op de sex fora?! Laten we allemaal gaan kijken!

hé, kunnen de mods Nederlands of Afrikaans lezen?

Artemisia in Dutch wrote:Nee dat laatste beteken ek natuurlyk nie

Ja ... natuurlik ... O my God! het julle gesien wat dit mens "ZLVT" het gebevat op die sex fora?! Laat ons almal gaan kyk!

We need a breif run down of Afrikaans grammar. My dutch grammar is ok but there's very little about afrikaans grammar online
is it just me or is afrikaans far more compact that dutch? mebe it's the ij->y thing

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:52 am UTC

on afrikaans grammar, turns out Afrikaans is maybe the most analytic language of all the indo-european languages. YAY, say goodby to verb inflection.

Artemisia, of course you dont need to translate things, I just do to practice.

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:33 am UTC

ZLVT wrote:
Artemisia in Afrikaans wrote:Nee daardie laaste bedoel ek natuurlik nie

Ja ... natuurlik ... O my God! het julle gesien wat die mens "ZLVT" gebieg (he he, "bevat" means contain) op die sex fora?! Laat ons almal gaan kyk!

ZVLT, I'm not here to pick you up on every little thing, but only if you WANT to be corrected so you can learn. Please tell me which is preferable.

On grammar, if you ask specific questions I'll be happy to answer but as I'm sure many people experience with their native tongues, they just know it, rather than having a set of rules in their heads they can reference and reproduce.

Artemesia, ja, baieAfr beteken heelNl of ergNl, ook soortgelyk aan manyEng, veryEng en muchEng.

Laastens, ZVLT, ek mis dat jy nie 'n avatar het nie. Dit help om 'n prentjie in my kop van fora mense te vorm :)

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:38 am UTC

Moo wrote:
ZVLT, I'm not here to pick you up on every little thing, but only if you WANT to be corrected so you can learn. Please tell me which is preferable.

Laastens, ZVLT, ek mis dat jy nie 'n avatar het nie. Dit help om 'n prentjie in my kop van fora mense te vorm

oké, ek sal een maak. VIR JOU.

I prefer to be corrected of course (Letting poor grammar slip is, in my opinion, an evil sin) but I also would need the vocabular, grammatical and/or syntactice reason(s) why my version was wrong. For instance, I am bound to get a nie ... nie construct wrong now and again. so I'd need to know /why/ "ek kan nie Afrikaans praat nie" is wrong

what are "mis" "graag" and "prantjie"? I thought mis was miss and prentjie...is it like image?
ooo and wtf is 'te' for? I've seen both you and one of the dutchies use it. I;ve only ever seen "te" in a te-continuous construct (I dont think afrikaans has them) e.g.

Ik zit te lezen
I I-sit te to-read
I sit to read
I am reading

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:32 am UTC

ZLVT wrote:oké, ek sal een maak. VIR JOU.
Baie dankie! (I lolled when I saw it too). Ooh interesting titbit, my mom and I use LMGA (lag my gat af... direct translation of laugh my ass off)

ZLVT wrote:...so I'd need to know /why/ "ek kan nie Afrikaans praat nie" is wrong
I don't know if you just picked an example at random but it so happens that is perfectly right.

ZLVT wrote:what are "mis" "graag" and "prantjie"? I thought mis was miss and prentjie...is it like image?
ooo and wtf is 'te' for? I've seen both you and one of the dutchies use it. I;ve only ever seen "te" in a te-continuous construct (I dont think afrikaans has them)

mis: miss (Sort of like "I miss that you don't have an avatar" but the English sounds a bit more sentimental and historic, like there was one before and I'm all sad that it's gone. "Miss" is a perfectly good translation in most situations but in this instance I meant more that it's amiss).

graag: closest I can think right now is eagerly. "Ek wil graag a roomys he": rather than "I want an ice cream" it lends a feeling of "I really quite want ice cream". Not quite "want very much" though. Finding it hard to convey the right feeling.

prentjie: picture, indeed, you are right.

te: I'm not sure this answers your question; if you can give me an example of it being used in a way you don't understand I will explain it. Meanings I am aware of:
1. too ("Dit is te warm"- it is too hot)
2. to ("Dit is te warm om te eet"- it is too hot to eat)
Oh wait, I just realised you might mean when I said "Bly te kenne". It is a slightly archaic contstruct from Dutch (assuming), you would not use it that way in any other situation. It means good to meet you. The standard Afrikaans would be "bly om jou te ontmoet" (ontmoet, meet, rather than ken, to know a person). As in meaning number 2 above.

Lastly, if you want me to quote the Afrikaans phrases you have written here previously with corrections and explanation, I'm happy to; otherwise I will just do it from now on.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:02 am UTC

Moo wrote:
ZLVT wrote:...so I'd need to know /why/ "ek kan nie Afrikaans praat nie" is wrong
I don't know if you just picked an example at random but it so happens that is perfectly right.

haha nah that one I know cos I've heard it often enough, just with a jy not a ek

Moo wrote:graag "Ek wil graag a roomys he"

did you not mean "ek wil graag 'n roomys he"?

Moo wrote:Lastly, if you want me to quote the Afrikaans phrases you have written here previously with corrections and explanation, I'm happy to; otherwise I will just do it from now on.

dear god, there can't be that many?!

Sigh, Dutch and Afrikaans can be confusing together

P.S. do you use "te" to mark the infinitve? "Bedruk is te mis 'n vriend" or "dit is bedruk te mis 'n vriend"

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:21 am UTC

ZLVT wrote:did you not mean "ek wil graag 'n roomys he"?
yes, yes I did. lol. blush.

ZLVT wrote:dear god, there can't be that many?!
LOL no not THAT many :) and if so it's just one word or word order, don't worry. That's why I don't want to correct every single little thing, when someone learning to speak a language gets it right or almost right almost all of the time, I think it's just needlessly discouraging.

ZLVT wrote:Sigh, Dutch and Afrikaans can be confusing together
I can imagine. You are actually ahead of me really since I don't know anything about Dutch. I could not try to speak it or get any of it's rules right. I happen to be able to guess most of it by luck :)

ZLVT wrote:P.S. do you use "te" to mark the infinitve? "Bedruk is te mis 'n vriend" or "dit is bedruk te mis 'n vriend"
No. So much so that I'm not even sure what that sentence means.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:49 am UTC

Moo wrote:
ZLVT wrote:did you not mean "ek wil graag 'n roomys he"?
yes, yes I did. lol. blush.

tsk tsk tsk and you call yourself an afrikaaner

Moo wrote:
ZLVT wrote:P.S. do you use "te" to mark the infinitve? "Bedruk is te mis 'n vriend" or "dit is bedruk te mis 'n vriend"
No. So much so that I'm not even sure what that sentence means.

"it is sad to miss a friend"
Last edited by ZLVT on Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:53 am UTC

Moo wrote:graag: closest I can think right now is eagerly. "Ek wil graag 'n roomys he": rather than "I want an ice cream" it lends a feeling of "I really quite want ice cream". Not quite "want very much" though. Finding it hard to convey the right feeling.

Seconded. Often when I want to use "graag", I use it in the verb in English. I do miss words occasionally, like "wel". "Dat wil ik wel graag doen." It's a pain that in English that becomes "I DO would like to do that". I really miss something there :(

About te: it's usually put in front of a verb, as in "to see", but then in a sentence. As Moo said, I'm terrible with rules, but I will be more than happy to correct you.
ZLVT wrote:
Artemisia wrote:Nee dat laatste meen ik natuurlijk niet

Ja ... natuurlijk ... O mijn God! Hebben jullie gezien wat dit mens "ZLVT" heeft gebiechten opgebiecht op de het sex fora forum ?!(assuming you mean the singular. In plural you put it perfectly right) Laten we allemaal gaan kijken!

:mrgreen: Ik denk het niet ;)
This too shall pass

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:21 am UTC

I vote that "fora" should stay fora out of respect for the injoke, regardless of language :)

Artemesia, ek het lanklaas met jou gesels! Ons moet in Mei mekaar ontmoet vir 'n drankie in London!

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:
ZLVT wrote:Ja ... natuurlijk ... O mijn God! Hebben jullie gezien wat dit mens "ZLVT" heeft gebiechten opgebiecht op de het sex fora forum ?!(assuming you mean the singular. In plural you put it perfectly right) Laten we allemaal gaan kijken!

Of course, my dutch and afrikaans aren't good but i can decline latin nouns in my sleep. fora = plural. opgebiecht?

goed, we zullen baie plezier hebben
goed, ons sal baie amusant het/hê [help!]

she also wrote:About te: it's usually put in front of a verb, as in "to see", but then in a sentence. As Moo said, I'm terrible with rules, but I will be more than happy to correct you.

In the sentence "I want to see" "Ik wil zien" the words "to see" would be zien. not "te zien" so like...wtf?

Moo wrote:I vote that "fora" should stay fora out of respect for the injoke, regardless of language

agrred, but while to you, the declension of latin nouns may be an in-joke, so some of us it's a seriosu day-to-day struggle. You want to know the real heroes out there? it's us conjugators and decliners [hurrumph!]

but seriously, what in-joke?

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:39 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:
ZLVT wrote:Ja ... natuurlijk ... O mijn God! Hebben jullie gezien wat dit mens "ZLVT" heeft gebiechten opgebiecht op de het sex fora forum ?!(assuming you mean the singular. In plural you put it perfectly right) Laten we allemaal gaan kijken!

Of course, my dutch and afrikaans aren't good but i can decline latin nouns in my sleep. fora = plural. opgebiecht?

goed, we zullen baie plezier hebben

she also wrote:About te: it's usually put in front of a verb, as in "to see", but then in a sentence. As Moo said, I'm terrible with rules, but I will be more than happy to correct you.

In the sentence "I want to see" "Ik wil zien" the words "to see" would be zien. not "te zien" so like...wtf?

Moo wrote:I vote that "fora" should stay fora out of respect for the injoke, regardless of language

agreed, but while to you, the declension of Latin nouns may be an in-joke, to some of us it's a serious day-to-day struggle. You want to know the real heroes out there? it's us conjugators and decliners [hurrumph!]

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:07 pm UTC

ZLVT wrote:Of course, my dutch and afrikaans aren't good but i can decline latin nouns in my sleep. fora = plural.
agreed, but while to you, the declension of Latin nouns may be an in-joke, to some of us it's a serious day-to-day struggle. You want to know the real heroes out there? it's us conjugators and decliners [hurrumph!]
I can't find the discussion now, and don't know the whole story, but as you get used to the fora you will see everyone lovingly calls it "the fora" - it has become a nickname, used even for the singular, not just a plurelization. There was a big discussion about whether fora was a correct plural for forum in English. You will even find that fora.xkcd.com works :)

ZVLT wrote:goed, ons sal baie amusant het/hê [help!]
Ammusant is an adjective meaning ammusing; Ons sal baie pret hê (fun). You can technically say Ons sal baie ammusering hê but that would sound strange and forced.

ZVLT wrote:In the sentence "I want to see" "Ik wil zien" the words "to see" would be zien. not "te zien" so like...wtf?
Ah but in the English the to belongs to the verb want not the verb see: I want to see; the whole thing (want + to) gets replaced by wil.
The only cases where te directly translates to to that I am aware of (in Afrikaans at least) is either too or as in I am sending the apples to the market I am going to go with my friends to see a movie (see how the second to is not part of a verb construct there?). ...om 'n fliek te sien. Not things like I have to | want to | am going to. I guess this is at least similar in Nl.
Last edited by Moo on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

ZLVT wrote:Of course, my dutch and afrikaans aren't good but i can decline latin nouns in my sleep. fora = plural.
Well, I don't know for English but in Dutch "fora" is indeed the plural of forum. Odds are that in English you say "visa" when you mean only one. In Dutch, it'd be "visum". That's why I corrected you.
It is "het forum" or "de fora". Just saying ^^

ZLVT wrote:opgebiecht?

goed, we zullen baie veel plezier hebben

If you want the first sentence to be correct Dutch, then don't use 'baie'. I love the word, but that belongs to Afrikaans only.
I can imagine you get really confused trying to learn both.
oh and what do you want to know about opgebiecht? the verb is "opbiechten", and since "op" is a preposition, in the past participle it goes before "ge-".
I believe this is the rule for every verb containing a preposition. With declining, the verb and the preposition are seperated: ik biecht op

about the "te"=> see Moo's post. I do have to say I got a bit confused with the I am sending the apples to the market sentence. In Dutch, to would be translated as naar, as a preposition.

[edited] for messing up quotes and adding something about the verb
Last edited by Artemisia on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This too shall pass

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:If you want the first sentence to be correct Dutch, then don't use 'baie'. I love the word, but that belongs to Afrikaans only.

about the "te"=> see Moo's post. I do have to say I got a bit confused with the I am sending the apples to the market sentence. In Dutch, to would be translated as naar, as a preposition.

so what is the dutch baie?
ja, naar I'm happy with, lovely word, made friends ages ago, it's just sthat some words have menaings in both Af and Nl but they mean diff things. quite irksom

Moo, I belive I started the discussion regrading the correct plural of latin nouns in Engels

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:47 pm UTC

Uhm, yeah, I'm losing my mind. You're right, that wouldn't be to in Afrikaans either (na die mark...) :oops:
Funny note, "naar" means nauseous in Afrikaans.

I'm having a weird week. Going back to edit now.
Thanks for noticing it before I confused the life out of poor ZVLT ninja'd! Editing anyway..

editing this one again too:
- I see you joined Feb this year, ZLVT, and I'm pretty sure this discussion has been going on longer than that. It's been called "the fora" for a long time... you probably brought it up again.
- I just saw I've been calling you the wrong name too. Super blush. Losing my mind. No really, I'm losing my mind.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:55 pm UTC

ZLVT wrote:so what is the dutch baie?
ja, naar I'm happy with, lovely word, made friends ages ago, it's just sthat some words have menaings in both Af and Nl but they mean diff things. quite irksom

irksom?
baie in this sentence is veel, but I reckon it depends on the sentence. It can be zeer/veel/erg which all means similar things. Like very in English. But we're Dutch, we want to be weird. I'll look up the rules for using them, there must be rules for it.
oh and you both posted after I edited my post. do read it again :)

Moo: Ik voel me naar would mean I feel sick/ill, so naar can mean that you're nauseous too (not by default tho, its meant more generally, as in "nasty"). That's why i added it was the preposition I meant.

and another thing: yes I'd love to meet up!! I'd have to scroll back for that sentence, there was one word I didn't understand
[edit]
Artemesia, ek het lanklaas met jou gesels! Ons moet in Mei mekaar ontmoet vir 'n drankie in London!
lanklaas= lang genoeg= long enough? gesels= gezelschap= company?
mei klinkt perfect ^^
This too shall pass

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:06 pm UTC

This is fun ^_^
Artemisia wrote:[edit]
lanklaas= lang genoeg= long enough? gesels= gezelschap= company?
mei klinkt perfect ^^
lanklaas: lank = long; laas = ago / last (no exact translation). Means more or less long ago (but you can't always tranlate long ago with lanklaas :) that would be too easy). Literal meaning of my sentence: I haven't spoken to you for a while.
gesels: chat. Probably developed out of geselskap, which is also company in Afrikaans, as in "the company you keep")

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:If you want the first sentence to be correct Dutch, then don't use 'baie'. I love the word, but that belongs to Afrikaans only.
oh and what do you want to know about opgebiecht? the verb is "opbiechten", and since "op" is a preposition, in the past participle it goes before "ge-".
I believe this is the rule for every verb containing a preposition. With declining, the verb and the preposition are seperated: ik biecht op

a) /why/ is it opbiechten, what is biechten?

also tot he othe rhting, that is sexually exciting, Magayr is the same with our prepositions. megölöm, ölöm meg.

Moo, so what IS te?

art, irksome is somethign which irks you. so like annoy, vex etc.
laangthingy i think means a long time
I thought wel was very and baie would mean much, so the opposite of geen, does veel do this? ik heb veel hunden?

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

ZLVT wrote:a) /why/ is it opbiechten, what is biechten?

also tot he othe rhting, that is sexually exciting, Magayr is the same with our prepositions. megölöm, ölöm meg.

Moo, so what IS te?

art, irksome is somethign which irks you. so like annoy, vex etc.
laangthingy i think means a long time
I thought wel was very and baie would mean much, so the opposite of geen, does veel do this? ik heb veel hunden?

biechten means to confess. biechten is used when going to church, and confess to a priest. OPbiechten doesn't have that connection with religion. It means the same thing. You could see the "op" here as a gesture (in my head i'm even making it) as in geef op = give me that. I hope this makes it a bit more clear.

what's magayr? I'm happy that you found something to compare it with, that always helps :)

My dictionary has this to say about 'te': 1. preposition, at, in; 2. before infinitive: to; te Antwerpen at, in Antwerp; te Londen in London; te middernacht, at midnight; hij kwam langs om me te feliciteren he came round to congratulate me; II adverb (before adjective) too; dat gat is te groot that hole is too big

[edit] I knew I forgot something. geen - veel are indeed opposites. hundenis incorrectly spelled, as it should be honden, but other than that, well done.
Last edited by Artemisia on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This too shall pass

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

Moo wrote:1. too ("Dit is te warm"- it is too hot)
2. to ("Dit is te warm om te eet"- it is too hot to eat)
Number two gets messy though, I don't know when it is and when it is not the same. I've had a look and most definitions I can find of the preposition "to" do NOT apply. If I figure out the exact rule I'll let you know.
(Oh, I forgot it can mean "at", but it is a slightly archaic form. You can say Julle is uitgenooi na die troue, te London, op 2 Maart etc etc, but usually only in such a formal setting.)

baie would mean different things in English depending on the context but always expresses a superlative.
Ek is baie lief vir jou : I love you very much.
Daar is baie visse in die see : There are many fish in the sea.
Ek hou baie daarvan : I like it a lot
Dit is baie warm: It is very hot

It is a simple language. Nothing too fancy :) (except the double negative, don't know where that came from!)

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

Moo wrote:baie would mean different things in English depending on the context but always expresses a superlative.

It is a simple language. Nothing too fancy :) (except the double negative, don't know where that came from!)

I figured baie would be something like that. That's why I like it, it's sooooo simple ^^

I think I do know where the double negative comes from. In Dutch slang, and among "workers" (without meaning this in a looking-down-upon way) it is common to use a lot of negatives. die zag ik nooit niet meer terug! technically this would mean "I will see that (thing) back" because - - means +. They obviously mean they're never ever going to see that (thing) back. Maybe emphasise the never-ness of it?

I'm not saying this is probably why the Afrikaners do it, but since they simplified Dutch, it just crossed my mind this is a possible explanation.
Did you all make the strong verbs into weak ones? This is actually happening in Dutch too now, some people don't know the correct past tense of waaien is woei, and use waaide instead. This has happened so often that it has now been recognised in the van Dale, the Dutch dictionary.
This too shall pass

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:59 pm UTC

Please give and example of a strong verb (in context, I don't recognize the one you gave)?

Although from that example I think maybe we've made almost all the verbs weak... there are very few verbs whose past tense isn't simply "ge-verb".
Ek het geloop. Die wind het gewaai.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

GAY, I do things like that but I have dutch msn buddies who'll catch me out, though gabber clips on youtube are a main source of education to me.

I think Afrikaans has no strong/weak verbs though, go to the wiki, they have next to NO inflection

gaan
ek gaan
jy gaan
hy gaan
hulle gaan
ek sal gaan
ek het gegaan (yes they have a past participle)
etc

I think only hê and wees really change their forms. and dink, weet, kan, sal, moet, mag and wil.

oo, how do you form the simple past in Afrikaans? woops turns out u don't have one. nice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrikaans_grammar

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:08 pm UTC

Nope, just the three tenses :)
Like I said, nothing fancy.

ZLVT wrote:I think only hê and wees really change their forms. and dink, weet, kan, sal, moet, mag and wil.

het
was
gedink (edit: I see the wiki article says "dag/dog", this is true now I think of it but archaic and not widely used)
geweet (edit: "wis" as per wiki but again not widely used)
kon
sou
moes
mag (I think it stays mag? The other verb in the sentence (the thing you may or may not do) changes but not mag. Ek mag nie geweet het van die partytjie nie. Edit: I see wiki says "mog" - the most archaic of all and hardly ever used, never in normal conversation.)
wou.

Those old fashioned past tense verbs made me realise how Afrikaans has been steady simplifying too. It's sad, but I don't know why, cause after all that's how Afrikaans came to be!

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

well no Moo, I know what you mean. Even tho Dutch is known for having ridiculously much exceptions to grammar rules, I like the richness of it, and I value it in the way that it has been taught to me, and from what I've read in books. I read Anne Franks diary and read language that is very old fashioned and is rarely used anymore. That's only been 60 years ago!

The list of strong verbs is probably endless, but I'll give some examples:
scheppen - schiep - geschapen (to create - old fashioned)
lopen - liep - gelopen (to walk)
vinden - vond - gevonden (to find)

hebben - had - gehad (to have)
zijn - was - geweest (to be)
worden - werd - geworden (to become)
blijken - bleek - gebleken (to seem, probable)
schijnen - scheen - geschenen (to seem)
lijken - leek - geleken (to seem, unprobable)
komen - kwam - gekomen (to come)
zien - zag - gezien (to see)

as for infliction of a weak verb:
bouwen (-en= stem)
ik bouw bouw jij?
stem only

jij bouwt
stem + t

hij/zij bouwt
stem + t

wij bouwen
whole verb

jullie bouwen
whole verb

zij bouwen
whole verb

-
ik bouwde bouwde jij?
stem + de (or te)

jij bouwde
stem + de (or te)

hij/zij bouwde
stem + de (or te)

wij bouwden
stem + den (or ten)

jullie bouwden
stem + den (or ten)

zij bouwden
stem + den (or ten)

past participle: (hebben) gebouwd

The use of d or t is difficult for LOTS and LOTS of native speakers, which causes the downfall of the use of it, especially online.
The rules are quite simple, and opposed to a lot of things in Dutch grammar, VERY regular.
The only thing that is difficult is deciding whether it's a past participle or not. "het betekent" or "het heeft betekend". Sometimes there's a big stretch between heeft and betekend, and then people fail to see that it's actually past participle. Or they overuse the d, and say "het betekend".

So according to the rules:
The stem ends with a letter, in this case the 'w'.

An aid in remembering when to use what, children at primary school are taught to compare the letters to those in the word 't kofschip, or 't fokschaap.
Note the 't' is also included. the apostrophe is to show it's left out the full "het" (a bit old fashioned now, but it's an old aid). Vowels are not important.
The 'w' doesn't appear in 't fokschaap, so 'd' is used.

For an English verb like "faxen" (we're not like the french, we just use the language original word and then make it possible for normal inflection):
x= ks sound and the s can be found in 't fokSchaap, so it should be 't'.
faxte
gefaxt
This too shall pass

Moo

Postby Moo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

OK, I have to know, what is a fokschaap? Cause that sounds a lot like a fuck sheep :)

I recognize skep - geskape from your list but other than that all the verbs you listed are weak in Afrikaans. Although I love the sound of "liep" and "kwam" ^_^

Also, wow, Afrikaans REALLY is a lot simpler.

jaap

Postby jaap » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

Moo wrote:OK, I have to know, what is a fokschaap? Cause that sounds a lot like a fuck sheep :)

It means a sheep for breeding. The verb fokken means breeding, and is therefore indeed related to fucking.
An alternative word to use in the rule is kofschip.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

jaap wrote:
Moo wrote:OK, I have to know, what is a fokschaap? Cause that sounds a lot like a fuck sheep :)

It means a sheep for breeding. The verb fokken means breeding, and is therefore indeed related to fucking.

I mentioned both in my post, but since I've used 't fokschaap for longer than 't kofschip as an aid, the former is the first that springs to mind when talking about verbs and usage of d and t.

Breeding is not the same as fucking. I agree that it's somewhat related, but that is heavily disturbing to think about. I've read somewhere that a Dutch horse breeder/owner once said "I fok my own horses". I can imagine that gave him some funny looks. But I reckon his English sounded too poor to let anyone take that seriously.

But I don't know what a kofschip is, other than a certain type of ship ^^
This too shall pass

jaap

Postby jaap » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:
jaap wrote:

Breeding is not the same as fucking. I agree that it's somewhat related, but that is heavily disturbing to think about.

Ik bedoelde natuurlijk dat de woorden verwant zijn, dezelfde oorsprong hebben.
I meant of course that the words are related, have the same origin.

Artemisia wrote:I've read somewhere that a Dutch horse breeder/owner once said "I fok my own horses". I can imagine that gave him some funny looks.

I once had some difficulty when I used the wrong word for 'baptized'. The Dutch verb is 'dopen' (literally 'dipping') but I shouldn't have used 'doped' and 'doping' in that conversation.

Artemisia wrote:But I don't know what a kofschip is, other than a certain type of ship ^^

I don't know either.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:11 am UTC

jaap wrote:Ik bedoelde natuurlijk dat de woorden verwant zijn, dezelfde oorsprong hebben.
I meant of course that the words are related, have the same origin.
Ik weet het!! maar het is toch disturbing?! sorry kom even niet op het Nederlandse woord. hehehe. Engels en Nederlands moeten wel ergens verwant zijn, want aardig wat (zeker dure) woorden komen overeen. Ik weet dat Nederlands noch Engels Romaanse talen zijn maar beide hebben toch verwantschap met het Latijn.
Ik heb een vriendin die spreekt vloeiend Spaans en Engels, en zij verhuisde naar Nederland rond haar 20e. Haar Nederlandse woordenschat bevatte woorden die ik werkelijk nog nooooooit gehoord had, puur en alleen omdat ze in het Engels vaak gebruikt worden, maar in Nederlands erg academisch en duur zijn. Mijn Nederlandse woordenschat is behoorlijk (boekenwurm), maar dat was echt niet bij te benen. Wel leuk natuurlijk :)

jaap wrote:
Artemisia wrote:I've read somewhere that a Dutch horse breeder/owner once said "I fok my own horses". I can imagine that gave him some funny looks.

I once had some difficulty when I used the wrong word for 'baptized'. The Dutch verb is 'dopen' (literally 'dipping') but I shouldn't have used 'doped' and 'doping' in that conversation.
Daar moest ik om grinniken :D Dat is inderdaad een vrij foute verspreking ;)

jaap wrote:
Artemisia wrote:But I don't know what a kofschip is, other than a certain type of ship ^^

I don't know either.
Volgens mij is dat net als dat fokschaap, slaat nergens op, gewoon een samengesteld woord uit de medeklinkers die uitmaken of een werkwoord op een d of een t eindigt.
This too shall pass

Return to “Language/Linguistics”