Spreek Nederlands en Praat Afrikaans (Dutch & Afrikaans)

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

ZLVT

Re: Spreek Nederlands en Praat Afrikaans (Dutch & Afrikaans)

Postby ZLVT » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:09 am UTC

Moo wrote:
Moo wrote:Ek het al telkemale gehoor dat Afrikaans en Vlaams besonder soortgelyk is; selfs meer as Afrikaans en Nederlands. Ek wonder of dit waar is?
I have often (many times) heard that Afrikaans and Flemish are particularly similar; even more than Afrikaans and Nederlands. I wonder if it is true?

Wow, my Afrikaans managed to get WORSE. Dutch got better, but Afrikaans got worse. Damn.

Anyone got vids of Vlaams speakers?
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

inktvis

Postby inktvis » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:30 am UTC

certainly :)

Here is the kind of Flemish you would hear on the news:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJXY1mxr ... re=related

Below are the main varieties of Flemish, but bear in mind that there are many varieties within these, so it may very well be that Afrikaans sounds like a dialect of Flemish spoken by a tiny village...

West-Vlaams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkNiEFU_HpE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIHA3vRltrY

Oost-Vlaams (I speak something close to this)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q9Ia8hR_ys

Antwerps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0yVDQNuIPg

Limburgs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaFWa_hq ... re=related (the guy being interviewed, the girl is from Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCK2uHwzD1M

There is also Brabants, spoken in Vlaams-Brabant, but I can't seem to find any good videos of that.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:19 am UTC

Ik hou van Limburgs (Language not accent) but I didn't know it counted as flemish.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:31 am UTC

I'm watching a Flemish film atm..Jesus, that's quite an accent. I oculd recognise it as Dutch but it wasn't pronounced the way it ususally is. Vlaams is pronounced Flooms. weird

inktvis

Postby inktvis » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:53 am UTC

Which movie is it? Pronouncing Vlaams as Vloams (or Flooms as you say) sounds like either Oostvlaams or Antwerps to me.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Some series about illegal prostitutes brought to Europe from Russia. Theywere in flanders and being told they woudl be sent to Holland which woudl be far worse. The name escaped me since I missed the begining, I'll try to catch it next week. Interestingly when he said "I'm fine" I head 'Ik' but no 'ben'. Odd.

I thought the Dutch V was a V sound not F

inktvis

Postby inktvis » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:53 am UTC

I think I know what you're talking about, a series called Matroesjka's. I've never seen it but heard good things about it. You may have heard "zen/zin" instead of 'ben', that's a characteristic of Antwerps, they may say "Ik zin ok" for I'm fine". It comes from "zijn".

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:07 am UTC

mmm sounds right I think I heard a s/z sound in there. Weird, but cool. Is there much vocabulary difference?

Checked wiki, It's called Russian Dolls here, and SBS was advertising it a while ago so it may well be that, btu back then they were mainly speaking Russian so I didn't make the connection

Outchanter

Postby Outchanter » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:41 am UTC

Matryoshka is just the (Anglicized spelling of the) Russian name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matryoshka_doll

inktvis

Postby inktvis » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

ZLVT wrote:mmm sounds right I think I heard a s/z sound in there. Weird, but cool. Is there much vocabulary difference?

Checked wiki, It's called Russian Dolls here, and SBS was advertising it a while ago so it may well be that, btu back then they were mainly speaking Russian so I didn't make the connection

In general, there is a little bit of vocabulary difference between Flemish and Dutch, a lot of dialect words of Flemish are adaptations of French words. The upper class in Flanders used to speak French and Dutch was the language of the common people. (http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taalstrijd_in_Belgi%C3%AB) Example: the word for "sales" in Dutch is "koopjes", while in Flemish it's "solden" from French "Soldes".

I say in general, because there is so much variation within the dialects. It's a shame they're slowly disappearing, it used to be that you could hear what village someone came from! This is my dialect :) http://www.lokersdialect.be/

hitausmomentti

Postby hitausmomentti » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

Hi

Ek het ook Afrikaans 'n bietjie probeer leer, en ek kan reeds meer as 'n bietjie vir eksemplaar van die afrikaanse Wikipedia verstaan. Maar ek het 'n probleem met 'n liedjie se lirieke, wat ek nie kan verstaan nie. Ek het die liedjie al te vele kere geluister, en het ook die lirieke gelees, maar dit hulp nie. Nou het ek hierdie fora en draad gevind en vra van julle hulp. Die lirieke is hier: http://www.melktert.co.za/lyrics/wonderwoorde/lyr_wonderwoorde.txt. Andere liedjies kan ek baie beter verstaan, maar hierdie een is baie moeilik.

In Engels
Spoiler:
I've been trying to learn Afrikaans too, and can already understand more than a little of, for example, the Afrikaans Wikipedia. But I have a problem with the lyrics of a song, which I can't understand. I've listened to the song too many times already, and read the lyrics too, but it didn't help. Now I've found this forum and this thread and ask your help. The lyrics are here http://www.melktert.co.za/lyrics/wonderwoorde/lyr_wonderwoorde.txt. I can understand other songs a lot better, but this one is really difficult.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:21 am UTC

inktvis wrote:
ZLVT wrote:mmm sounds right I think I heard a s/z sound in there. Weird, but cool. Is there much vocabulary difference?

In general, there is a little bit of vocabulary difference between Flemish and Dutch, a lot of dialect words of Flemish are adaptations of French words. The upper class in Flanders used to speak French and Dutch was the language of the common people. (http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taalstrijd_in_Belgi%C3%AB) Example: the word for "sales" in Dutch is "koopjes", while in Flemish it's "solden" from French "Soldes".

I say in general, because there is so much variation within the dialects. It's a shame they're slowly disappearing, it used to be that you could hear what village someone came from! This is my dialect :) http://www.lokersdialect.be/

Ok, I've notied you also have regional languages, so I'm a bit confused. When you say "Dialect" do you mean the particular way in which standard Dutch is spoken in a region, or that regional language. Limburgs is certainly not Dutch, so I assume the people in Limburgs can speak standard Dutch as well as their own language. So which one of the two speeches there is the local "dialect"?
And how many languages/dialects are there in well let's say "greater netherlands"

Welcome hitausmomentti, will you be staying on after you get your song translted or are you just popping in?

hitausmomentti

Postby hitausmomentti » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:59 am UTC

ZLVT wrote:Welcome hitausmomentti, will you be staying on after you get your song translted or are you just popping in?

Well I have no intention of leaving, but I'm usually mostly a lurker who has a really high threshold for posting. Now that I've actually started posting, I might do it more, can't really say yet.

Could anyone read my attempt at Afrikaans without the English version?

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:59 am UTC

Yes, I made some errors, but I forgot most of my Afrikaans not that I knew much to begin wiht, but I could understand what you were saying

ek kan reeds meer as 'n bietjie vir eksemplaar van die afrikaanse Wikipedia verstaan

I was a bti confused on but in hind sight it shoudl ahve been clear

Ek het die liedjie al te vele kere geluister

I ead as "I have listened to the song very clearly" but that's my fault

As to whether it was correct or not, I have no idea, but I could read it.

If English is your mother tongue however, your errors would likely be the same as mine, as would our thought processess so errors may make it easier for me to read your Afrikaans so don't put much in store by what I say.

hitausmomentti

Postby hitausmomentti » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:38 am UTC

Lekker dat jy my verstaan het. My moedertaal is nie Engels nie, maar Fins. Engels het ek in die skool geleer, en ook Duits en 'n bietjie Sweeds.

Spoiler:
Nice that you understood me. My native language isn't English, but Finnish. I learnt English at school, as well as German and a little Swedish.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:30 am UTC

hmm, and what do you think in when you use Afrikaans. Need ot learn Finnish at some time. Sigh. And danish, sexy language.

inktvis

Postby inktvis » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:53 am UTC

ZLVT wrote:
Ok, I've notied you also have regional languages, so I'm a bit confused. When you say "Dialect" do you mean the particular way in which standard Dutch is spoken in a region, or that regional language. Limburgs is certainly not Dutch, so I assume the people in Limburgs can speak standard Dutch as well as their own language. So which one of the two speeches there is the local "dialect"?
And how many languages/dialects are there in well let's say "greater netherlands"

Welcome hitausmomentti, will you be staying on after you get your song translted or are you just popping in?

It's a little bit more complicated than that. While I don't think it classifies as a separate language, a dialect such as Antwerps is more than just pronouncing Dutch differently, it has some grammatical and lexical differences as well.

With Limburgs, I suppose you can state that it is a separate language. The lines between a dialect and a language are blurry in this case.. The older generation may speak something close to another language, while the younger generations merely retain certain pronunciations and vocabulary of Limburgs. Either way, speakers of this variety would also be able to speak standard Dutch. I'm not really an expert on this matter, so I hope this page helps clarify things: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nederlandse_dialecten

hitausmomentti: Hyvää päivää! Puhun vähän suomea :D Jag har också läst Svenska på universitetet. Det går lite bättre än Finska.

Ik versta je Afrikaans, maar kan helaas enkel in het Nederlands antwoorden.

hitausmomentti

Postby hitausmomentti » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:23 am UTC

ZLVT wrote:hmm, and what do you think in when you use Afrikaans. Need ot learn Finnish at some time. Sigh. And danish, sexy language.

Some mixture of broken Afrikaans and German, English and Finnish for the parts that I can't say in Afrikaans. The other germanic languages help a lot with Afrikaans, Finnish doesn't as it's completely different.

@inktvis: Cool, where did you learn? Jag kan tala svenska bara litet. Jag har glömmt nästan allt.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:26 am UTC

hitausmomentti wrote:Hi

Ek het ook Afrikaans 'n bietjie probeer leer, en ek kan reeds meer as 'n bietjie vir eksemplaar van die afrikaanse Wikipedia verstaan. Maar ek het 'n probleem met 'n liedjie se lirieke, wat ek nie kan verstaan nie. Ek het die liedjie al te vele kere geluister, en het ook die lirieke gelees, maar dit hulp nie. Nou het ek hierdie fora en draad gevind en vra van julle hulp. Die lirieke is hier: http://www.melktert.co.za/lyrics/wonderwoorde/lyr_wonderwoorde.txt. Andere liedjies kan ek baie beter verstaan, maar hierdie een is baie moeilik.

Hallo en welkom! Ek kan jou Afrikaans baie goed verstaan, die enigste korreksie wat ek sou maak is "vir eksemplaar" vervang met "byvoorbeeld" ('n Eksemplaar is 'n Anglisisme en verwys gewoonlik na 'n afdruk van 'n pamflet of tydskrif of so; die regte Afrikaans vir 'n "example" is 'n voorbeeld). Verder is dit uitstekend.

Engels:
Spoiler:
Hello and welcome! I can understand your Afrikaans very well, the only correction that I would make is to replace "vir eksemplaar" with "byvoorbeeld" (An "eksemplaar" is an Anglisised form and usually refers to a copy of a pamphlet or magazine or such; the correct Afrikaans for an example is "voorbeeld"). Otherwise it was excellent.

Vertaalde lirieke:
Spoiler:
Some parts are quite hard (a bit obscure), I've tried my best but I've put the bits I'm not 100% sure of in italics. I think those parts are just a poet's private musings and hard to interpret. Afrikaans is my native tongue so it's not a case of not understanding the language, btw.

Alone in a Brooklyn[1] mall
In Burgundy's[2]
Order two whiskeys
The smoke in my eyes
The waitress asks: "Excuse me, are you 18 (already)?"
And I say "Thanks for the compliment"
And think, only just

I open my book,
Want to look busy
Because everyone is watching
Look, she suddenly looks 24
And celebrates her word wordless brain

And I choke on the words on my plate
Because everything I'm missing keeps hiding

And I've long since stopped thinking
Expecting everyone to serve me another one
Pour another glass a bit fuller
I eat[3] everything but I just get

Dumber (more stupid) and dumber, I worry
And wonder; words again go
missing and become wonder-words
The worry in me becomes dumber

Dissatisfaction
You seduced me
And undressed me and pealed me
Got a bit too much
Dissatisfaction
Relation my policy
Because this dissatisfaction in me
Threw[4] everything away

Dumber and dumber
And I worry and become dumber

[1] Brooklyn is a suburb of the city of Pretoria
[2] Presumably a bar
[3] "Vreet" is used for animals rather than humans ("eet"), so it implies eating it roughly or over eagerly or without manners.
[4] Similar to [3]; to throw something away is to gooi dit weg; if you use smyt instead it's a much harsher or harder action; shows less caring or compassion.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

hitausmomentti

Postby hitausmomentti » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:52 am UTC

@Moo: Baie baie dankie! I thought there would be some artistic interpretation of grammar, but I couldn't really even parse the chorus part and some other bits. But if some of the text is obscure even for a native speaker, I probably shouldn't feel that bad for not understanding it anymore.

Number 6

Postby Number 6 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

Ik heb hier al een tijdje niet meer gepost, maar ik kwam iets leuks tegen dat je wel misschien wel interessant vind, ZLVT.

Bij Nederlandse dialecten in het oosten is het handig om het volgende in het hoofd te houden:

De West-Germaanse taalgroep bestaat uit 4 takken, Anglo-Fries, Laag-Franconisch, Nederduits en Hoogduits (Anglo-Frysian, Low Franconian, Low German and High German). Het standaard-Nederlands is Laag-Franconisch, maar 3 van deze vier takken zijn vertegenwoordigt in het Nederlandse taalgebied. Fries als aparte taal in Fryslan, waarbij een mengvorm tussen Nederlands en Fries, stadsfries, in steden wel wordt gesproken. De bovenstaande kaart geeft de cijfers voor deze mengvorm. De donkerdere plekken in het oosten geven gebieden aan waar de plaatselijke dialecten tot het Saksisch (Nederduits) behoren. Dit zijn dialecten omdat het tegenwoordig min of meer Nederlands is, met Saksische invloeden en uitspraak. In Duitsland is hetzelfde gebeurt, met Hoogduits als standaardtaal. Dit is het gebied van Saksische dialecten:

Nog steeds zullen echter zware dialectsprekers aan beide zijden van de grens niet uit elkaar te houden zijn.

Ik weet het niet zeker, maar ik geloof dat Limburgs wel een vorm van Laag-Franconisch is, maar met enorme invloeden van het Duits door de ligging dicht bij Duitsland en eigenlijk altijd al in de periferie van het Nederlands taalgebied.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

M.qrius wrote:Ik heb nog nooit iemand Afikaans horen spreken... maar misschien zou ik denken dat ze Vlaams zijn? Als in, je hoort vooral dat het niet helemaal je eigen taal is...

Uit ervaring kan ik vertellen dat Afrikaans en Vlaams qua uitspraak in geen enkel opzicht op elkaar lijken. Afrikaans heeft harde g-klanken, terwijl het Vlaams enorm lijkt op de zachte klanken van het Frans. Ik heb de meeste moeite met Moo's uitspraak van klinkers (de a ligt qua klank bijvoorbeeld dichterbij een Nederlandse o) en door de sterk veranderde context van woorden duurt het langer voor ik begrijp wat een zin betekent.
Op schrift heb ik daar veel minder moeite mee, ik pak moeiteloos de globale betekenis op. Wel grappig is dat Moo en ik elkaar wel uitstekend verstaan bij individuele woorden, die gek genoeg veel minder vaak verschillen. Maargoed, dan heb ik natuurlijk ook een context en kan ik de Nederlandse betekenis verruimen om te begrijpen wat ze bedoelt. Maar in dat geval struikel ik minder over de uitspraak, op de een of andere manier.

Het belangrijkste is langzaam praten. Het is ontzettend gek om je eigen taal langzaam te moeten uitspreken maar als Moo en ik allebei onze spreeksnelheid verlagen denk ik dat we elkaar stukken beter zouden verstaan. Engels is overigens (helaas) een stuk makkerlijker.

Vlaams is eenvoudiger te verstaan omdat het grammaticaal en qua woordkeuze (alsook qua uitspraak) veel dichter bij het Nederlands ligt, hoewel ik best wel moeite kan hebben met een zwaar Vlaams accent.

Als een ABN spreker heb ik ook moeite met dialecten als Gronings en Twents (de twee noordelijke donkergroene gebieden op 6 z'n kaart (thanks!)). Limburgs vind ik echt VERSCHRIKKELIJK. Maargoed, ik hou ook niet van Limburg dus dat helpt niet. En Fries is een hele andere taal zelfs, rare Friezen :P (hoewel die niet op de kaart staat aangegeven?)

Mag ik een verzoekje plaatsen dat we het Fins in een Finse draad kunnen houden?

ZLVT wrote:I thought the Dutch V was a V sound not F

In Amsterdam (original Amsterdam accent) the V is certainly pronounced as an F. I've tried it out in my own regional tongue, and I think the proper (ABN) way of pronouncing the V is certainly a V, not an F.
This too shall pass

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

Vera, ek verstaan jou hele pos heel goed ^_^ - maar wat beteken qua? Ons gebruik glad nie die "q" in Afrikaans behalwe vir leenwoorde nie.
Spoiler:
Vera, I understand your post very well ^_^ - but what does qua mean? We don't use the "q" in Afrikaans at all, except for borrowed words

@ZLVT, if it is of interest, the V in Afrikaans is pronounced like F. W is pronounced like the English V except in certain cases (like after a t, like "twee" (two), when it is like the English sound).
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

sanny

Postby sanny » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:22 pm UTC

Artemisia wrote:Als een ABN spreker heb ik ook moeite met dialecten als Gronings en Twents (de twee noordelijke donkergroene gebieden op 6 z'n kaart (thanks!)). Limburgs vind ik echt VERSCHRIKKELIJK. Maargoed, ik hou ook niet van Limburg dus dat helpt niet. En Fries is een hele andere taal zelfs, rare Friezen :P (hoewel die niet op de kaart staat aangegeven?)

Ik denk dat Friesland niet donkergroen is omdat Fries echt een andere taal is. Als Friezen ABN praten, praten ze best verstaanbaar Nederlands, is mijn ervaring. Beter dan Limburgs of Twents, wat ik ook echt niet te verstaan vind.

Ik vind het altijd erg leuk om Afrikaans te lezen, ik heb het alleen nog nooit horen spreken.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:17 am UTC

how kan een taal donkergoen zijn?

En bendankt moo, het was echt interessant

Moo

Postby Moo » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:24 am UTC

(hulle verwys na hierdie kaart met kleurkodering wat vroeër gepos is)
Spoiler:
They are referring to this map with colour coding that was posted earlier

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:30 am UTC

Moo wrote:Vera, ek verstaan jou hele pos heel goed ^_^ - maar wat beteken qua? Ons gebruik glad nie die "q" in Afrikaans behalwe vir leenwoorde nie.
Spoiler:
Vera, I understand your post very well ^_^ - but what does qua mean? We don't use the "q" in Afrikaans at all, except for borrowed words

"qua" means "in the capacity of" according to my dictionary, at least. My dictionary also says "qua" is an English word too.
It's a little hard to translate myself, but it certainly addresses a quality or characteristic and is meant as a description/explanation of the previously mentioned thing or quality.

Nederlands gebruikt de Q ook heel erg spaarzaam dus veel zal je 'm niet tegenkomen :)

en ook: OH JEE! onze draad was naar pagina 2 verstoten, dat kan niet! *schopt*
This too shall pass

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:30 am UTC

de tweede pagina?! M'n God! Hoe kan dit zijn?
Zo, heb je iets wat interessant is gedaan?

Blesboer

Postby Blesboer » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:44 am UTC

Goeden Dag.

Ek is besig om Nederlands te leer maar vind dit heelwat moeiliker as wat ek gehoop het. In die thread is daar heelwat discussies oor die verskillende Nederlandse dialecte in Nederland en sekerlik ook in België. Maar hoe werk dit in die praktyk? Dit is twee relatief klein lande met groot bevolkings wat tog met mekaar moet kommunikeer. Veral in ons hedendaagse eeu met massa vervoer, massa kommunikasie ens. Is daar 'n standaard Nederlands wat deur die meerderheid inwoners verstaan word en wat gebruik word vir algemene kommunikasie in byvoorbeeld die sake wêreld? En hoe sterk figureer Engels as 'n sake taal? In Zuid-Afrika is Engels maar die standaard saketaal, maar in oorwegend Afrikaanse gebiede kan mens nog in Afrikaans bedien word.

Vriendelike groete. 8)

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:25 am UTC

Blesboer wrote:Is daar 'n standaard Nederlands wat deur die meerderheid inwoners verstaan word en wat gebruik word vir algemene kommunikasie in byvoorbeeld die sake wêreld?

Welkom, en ja, dit is ABN. Ek ook nie verstaan hoe daar kan so viel dialekten wees nie

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

ZLVT wrote:
Blesboer wrote:Is daar 'n standaard Nederlands wat deur die meerderheid inwoners verstaan word en wat gebruik word vir algemene kommunikasie in byvoorbeeld die sake wêreld?

Welkom, en ja, dit is ABN. Ek ook nie verstaan hoe daar kan so viel dialekten wees nie

De meeste mensen die in het dagelijks leven in dialect met elkaar spreken kunnen wel overschakelen naar ABN (Algemeen Beschaafd Nederlands), eventueel met een licht accent, als het nodig is. Ik kan me nauwelijks voorstellen dat je twee Nederlanders kunt vinden (of zelfs een Nederlander en een Vlaming) die er samen niet uit kunnen komen. Bij jonge mensen kun je vaak al moeilijker precies horen waar ze vandaan komen.

(Hallo allemaal - nog een Nederlander present!)

Spoiler:
Most of the people who commonly speak in a dialect can switch to ABN (Algemeen Beschaafd Nederlands, General 'Civilized' Dutch), sometimes with a slight accent, when necessary. I can hardly imagine finding two Dutch people (or even a Dutch and a Flemish person) who truly can't communicate with each other. With young people, it is often harder to hear exactly where they are from.

(Hello everyone - another Dutch person present!)

Huh. It's significantly harder to translate Dutch to English than to just think and type in English to start with.
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

Blesboer

Postby Blesboer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

Veel dank vir de informatie. Ik verstaat dat de naam "ABN" niet juis gebruikt meer wordt. Maar dat de term "Standaard Nederlands" eerder gebruikt worden. Zynde meer polities correct.

M.qrius
Rainbow Brite

Postby M.qrius » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

Zou wel kunnen, officieel, maar in de volksmond heet het gewoon ABN, en iedereen zal begrijpen wat je ermee bedoelt :)

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:56 am UTC

Blesboer wrote:Veel dank vir de informatie. Ik verstaat dat de naam "ABN" niet juis gebruikt meer wordt. Maar dat de term "Standaard Nederlands" eerder gebruikt worden. Zynde meer polities correct.

Was that Dutch or Afrikaans? Looks Dutch but shouldn't it be "voor" de informacie? and zynde looks weird to me.

Hutspot

Postby Hutspot » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

Hallo allemaal, groeten uit Santa Fe, New Mexico, VS. Ik ben in 1992 met negen jarige leeftijd naar de VS verhiuisd, en heb deze forum net gevonden. Ik heb al veel Nederlands vergeten, and zou graag een beetje willen oefenen en over de taal spreken.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

Ha, leuk om te zien dat Nederlands toch nog over de hele wereld gesproken wordt :) Ik ben zelf Nederlander en als ik hier iemand kan helpen met oefenen enzo dan hoor ik het wel

Oh, and ZLTV, that was Afrikaans 8)
Quack!

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

Hallo Nederlandse buren! Ik wens jullie vrolijke Sinterklaas en dat de zwarte Piete jullie veel chocolade brengt!

(I hope I didn't make too many mistakes. :D)
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:51 am UTC

EvilDuckie wrote:Oh, and ZLTV, that was Afrikaans 8)

but why was it "de term" and not "die term"?

Roĝer

Postby Roĝer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:38 am UTC

Hmmm... interessant dat er toch overal Nederlands wordt gesproken. En eerlijk gezegd is dit de eerste keer dat ik Afrikaans gebruikt zie worden op enig forum. Over dialecten: mijn grootouders spraken vloeiend platduuts en konden zonder moeite met Duitsers over de grens praten. Ik praat van huis uit ABN, maar in een oostelijke omgeving is mijn accent wel wat beïnvloed.
Ik ben niet koppig, ik heb gewoon gelijk.

Outchanter

Postby Outchanter » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:51 am UTC

Dalk behoort ons verskillinde draadjies vir Afrikaans en Nederlands te hê? Dit skyn asof die mengsel meer as 'n paar mense verwar het :-P

Return to “Language/Linguistics”