Spreek Nederlands en Praat Afrikaans (Dutch & Afrikaans)

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

wwjd_kilden

Re: Spreek Nederlands en Praat Afrikaans (Dutch & Afrikaans)

Postby wwjd_kilden » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

Hoi * tries to remember when to use iederen and when to use allemaal*

Wow, ik lees Nederlands af en toe, maar ik schrif het <rarely>, ik heb veeeeeeeeel vergeten :o
Zijn er veel Nederlandse mensen hier, of zijn jullie van andere landen?

(Please be patient with me if my grammar is terrible :oops: , I tend to be good at learning what stuff means, and bad at learning how to build sentences correctly :p)

2nd attempt to post, my internet likes to play hide and seek :p

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

Hoi wwjd_kilden,

Ik kom zelf uit Nederland, en ik geloof dat er nog wat meer Nederlanders actief zijn hier. Ik weet niet of je op zoek bent naar correcties of suggesties, dus ik heb ze even in de spoiler gezet (I'm from The Netherlands myself, and I think there's some more Dutch people active here. I don't know whether you're looking for corrections or suggestions, so I've put them in the spoiler)

Spoiler:
Hoi * tries to remember when to use iederen and when to use allemaal*

Allemaal is in dit geval gebruikelijk ("Allemaal" is in this case customary)

Wow, ik lees Nederlands af en toe, maar ik schrif het <rarely>, ik heb veeeeeeeeel vergeten :o

Het is beter om te zeggen: "ik lees af en toe Nederlands", en het woord waar je naar zoekt is "zelden" (it's better to say "ik lees af en toe Nederlands", and the word you're looking for is "zelden")

Zijn er veel Nederlandse mensen hier, of zijn jullie van andere landen?

"of komen jullie uit andere landen"
Quack!

realbart

Postby realbart » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:58 am UTC

Genoeg Nederlandse mensen hier.

En ook Nederlanders met een taal-tic. (Zo kan ik mij zelf bijvoorbeeld ontzettend ergeren aan incorrect spatiegebruik.)

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

realbart wrote:(Zo kan ik mij zelf bijvoorbeeld ontzettend ergeren aan incorrect spatiegebruik.)

+1
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

flownt

Postby flownt » Sun May 05, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

+1, heb je het nieuwe logo van het rijksmuseum gezien? het heeft een (incorrecte) spatie in het midden.

zadoc

Postby zadoc » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:15 am UTC

For the Afrikaans speaker who asked what is 'qua', it is not a Dutch word, it is Latin and it is sad that too many folks use Latin in Ducth and the watered down Latin, called French, in both Dutch and Afrikaans.
This French has been put into English too and it has caused English to die not live. Forinstance, everyone is now taught the the English word for costly is 'expensive' but IT IS NOT. Any word beginning with ex in English is French. The English word for expensive is 'dear'. So please anyone who wants to speak eEnglish...please say DEAR and not expensive. Likewise, the word 'compare' is not English, the English word is 'Liken' (linked to verge-lyken) and I can give a short list of pet hates; comprehend is UNDERSTAND, commence is BEGIN, residence is HOUSE, village is THORP, prior to is BEFORE, etc is AND SO FORTH, and the list can go on. Indeed, I have made a WORDBOOK (dictionary) of True English/Fake English. Anyone who wants a copy, I can email it.

Likewise I have done so for Dutch. French words are being used all the time and the Dutch media is the most guilty of pumping such out, thinking they are somehow smart or boasting of their WORKER'S (employees)
SCHOOLING (education) but claiming to be smart, they become silly.

So we now never hear the Dutch or even Afrikaners say 'TOESTAND'...oh no, it's always 'situatie/situasie'. They hardly ever say 'BEGROTING' always 'budget'. And over time, Dutch words simple fall away, and French takes over. Everyone says that it is English that is taking over...if only that were true, that is to say, TRUE English, but what the establishment-gits give us is French that has been planted into English. It's a trick job.

It is time that Afrikaans and Dutch (which is Flemish these days) work together. The first steps could be a sign of good will by the Dutch to use some Afrikaans words that are more Dutch than some words in Dutch, by that I mean, words that in Dutch are nothing more than watered down Latin (French) such as 'douch' which means to shower. It's a daft word, it is French. The Afrikaans has a TRUE Dutch word, STORT. So please folks in Holland and Belgium, say something like this, "Ik ga nou lekker STORTEN onder de Stort". And as for Lucifers, well, the word in Afrikaans is VUURHOUTJIES. BBQ is Portuguese, but the Afrikaans can give us Dutch, BRAAI. And what abou, 'boegies'...sounds like a hot spud stuck in ones throat needing to be cleared...it is the french word in Dutch to mean sparkplug...but Afrikaans has the answer, "VONKPROP".

But in turn Dutch can help Afrikaans. And slowly the two can grow together. I have a program worked out how to do this, but in brotherly love.

In the meantime, I have also made a WORDBOOK for Dutch called Echt Nederands/Nep Nederlands. It is a must for all Duch speakers who love Ducth, do not forget, if you don't use it, you lose it...what, your tongue of course!

That same wordbook is also handy for Afrikaners as the very words being shoved aside in Dutch, are the very same being shoved aside in Afrikaans.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

You are kidding, right?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

zadoc wrote:[...] caused [...] Forinstance [...] please [...] please [...] copy [...]

[...] used [...] media [...] claiming [...]

[...] establishment [...] planted [...] trick [...]

[...] sign [...] use [...] please [...] sounds [...] cleared [...]

[...] turn [...] program [...]

[...] use [...] course!

[...]

Virtually pure! ;)
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

Don't forget "costly" and "list", either.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

Surely costly must come from German kosten?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

Etymonline says Old French and ultimately Latin.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

Funny.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

Wiktionary claims kosten is ultimately Latin, but I can't find any corroborating evidence.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

Given how fond many Germanic groups were of using Roman coins, I'd be quite surprised if a word that similar were independently developed rather than simply being borrowed from the nearby powerful culture with whom they were trading.
---

(he/him/his)

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

Yeah, you are right, if trade-related words are similar in Latin and German, the Germanic tribes most likely adopted them from the Romans / other Latin-speaking people near them. Example: Moneta -> Münze (coin).

flownt

Postby flownt » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Given how fond many Germanic groups were of using Roman coins, I'd be quite surprised if a word that similar were independently developed rather than simply being borrowed from the nearby powerful culture with whom they were trading.

Both google and my dictionary confirm that consto, litterally "to stand[sto] still" means "to cost", deriving from scales in equilibrium. Actually to cost has the same etymology as constant. Who'd have figured?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

zadoc wrote:It is time that Afrikaans and Dutch (which is Flemish these days) work together. The first steps could be a sign of good will by the Dutch to use some Afrikaans words that are more Dutch than some words in Dutch, by that I mean, words that in Dutch are nothing more than watered down Latin (French) such as 'douch' which means to shower. It's a daft word, it is French. The Afrikaans has a TRUE Dutch word, STORT. So please folks in Holland and Belgium, say something like this, "Ik ga nou lekker STORTEN onder de Stort". And as for Lucifers, well, the word in Afrikaans is VUURHOUTJIES. BBQ is Portuguese, but the Afrikaans can give us Dutch, BRAAI. And what abou, 'boegies'...sounds like a hot spud stuck in ones throat needing to be cleared...it is the french word in Dutch to mean sparkplug...but Afrikaans has the answer, "VONKPROP".

Geweldig, die ga ik vanaf nu zeker gebruiken! :D
Vooral 'bougie', dat heb ik altijd al een stom woord gevonden, omdat het op geen enkele manier gerelateerd is aan wat het doet. Het heeft geen gerelateerde woorden die iets met ontsteking te maken hebben en de klank van het woord is lieflijk terwijl een vonkprop kort en krachtig is.

[edit]
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Wiktionary claims kosten is ultimately Latin, but I can't find any corroborating evidence.

A Dutch etymology database reads that it probably comes from the Old French coster (which is obviously coûter now; even the s is present as a ^), which comes from the vulgar Latin costare and is related to the real Latin constare, which means "balancing a scale" among others.

Cum/Quod constat? sounds like a reasonable question when paying for an order of 10 sacks of grain in 20BC.

kharnynb

Postby kharnynb » Thu May 22, 2014 9:15 am UTC

Ik ben ook nederlands, maar leef tegenwoordig al weer 10 jaar in Finland.
Ik moet nu af en toe nadenken over sommige woorden ;D

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:08 am UTC

Als er nog iemand Nederlands wil oefenen: het is mijn moedertaal en ik spreek het nog steeds elke dag, dus kom maar op!

Return to “Language/Linguistics”