Moderatores Populusque XKCDi [Latin]

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

ZLVT

Moderatores Populusque XKCDi [Latin]

Postby ZLVT » Sat May 24, 2008 6:17 am UTC

Salvete homines! It has been raised before that we need a Latin thread so here it is. Very few if any speak Latin but enough of us have studied it to get into fights over etymologies and grammar. I know I certainly need to brush up on my Latin. So, I've given 4.5yrs to Latin (best subject ever) and it has opened up the world of languages to me. Come share your experiences and educte the masses. Have fun.

P.S. I don't care who taught you what, I don't want to hear arguments over the pnounciations of 'V' and 'C' and 'Æ' and the like. No-one can prove it, just pronounce it however you want and leave it at that.

P.P.S. All plurals must be formed in the appropriate languages
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

Eruantale

Re: Moderatores Populusque XKCDi [Latin]

Postby Eruantale » Sat May 24, 2008 12:57 pm UTC

Eureka! Oh wait... that's Greek.
Well, I found it! I liked your idea. :)
Last edited by Eruantale on Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://www.yessy.com/ladycarmen

treebreeze

Postby treebreeze » Sat May 24, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

Huge fan of Latin. I'm a member of the Junior Classical League, and I'll probably be teaching a Latin I class as a senior in high school with a friend after I've completed a bit more of my education in it.

Dum spiro, spero.
certified?

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Sat May 24, 2008 10:51 pm UTC

Done did both of those (sort of anyway... I don't really consider going over homework with a class to be teaching it, but it's certainly more difficult than just being a student).
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Sat May 24, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

Oh, wow. I loved Latin -- took 4 years of it in high school. It's been a year since, and I've forgotten most of it. Then again, since it was all translations, and we focused on grammar much more than vocabulary, I suppose it's natural for things not to be ingrained in my head.

Learning about Roman culture was awesome, but I think the reason why I loved the class so much was because of all the other students. I don't know if it was this way for anyone else, but I found that the most interesting, the smartest, the oddest, and the nerdiest students were in the Latin class.

It was often hard being the ones learning a "dead language" -- and I don't just mean the plebs who would ask us to "say something in Latin." The other foreign languages looked down on us. :/ For example, every year we would have a get-together of all the foreign language classes, and we'd each bring foods from our language's culture (which usually meant that the Spanish students just brought bags of chips :evil: ). Apparently they didn't think that Latin had food to go with it (not even Italian food!), so they would just assign us to bring the soda pop, the bastards. Thankfully, we'd go above and beyond, bringing things like focaccia to beat down those Spaniards.

Sorry, I got into my linguistic-pride mode of thinking. O_o

In our first year, we all made togas or stolas, and we would always have fun with the homecoming parade. One time we had two guys on the back of a flatbed trailer, in freakishly short shorts, fighting as gladiators, while the rest of us walked in our togas, screaming out Latin chants in our best scary/cultist/Satanic voices:
Mica, mica, parva stella
Miror quaenam sis tam bella
Splendens enimus in illo
Alba velut, gemma caelo!

Very fun to see the elementary school teachers pull back slightly in nervousness. ;)

Such a tight-knit group we were (and we had to be, since we weren't like the other languages... where EVERYONE in the school was taking Spanish or French). :) We'd watch Spartacus and I, Claudius and Clash of the Titans. Our natural geekishness led us to all bake pies and bring them to school on March 14.

OK, nostalgia time over. :P

Say, what textbooks did you use to learn Latin? In the first couple years, we used the Cambridge course, and while they didn't really give the proper grammar background that other books eventually gave us, they sure were fun -- especially the early stories about how "ancilla [everyone] delectat."

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Sun May 25, 2008 12:15 am UTC

Awesome! I am jealous of your Latin experience. :x :wink: Latin is definitely a bonding experience.
We did have a Saturnalia once, complete with togas, grapes, olives and Latin riddles. That rocked.

Our first textbook was Wheelock's... I sadly don't remember the second but I don't care because it can't hold a candle to Wheelock's. Past that we've just been translating Latin 'in the wild'.

Ok, I should probably take a break here and let other Latin-lovers post (I'm not obsessed or anything).

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sun May 25, 2008 2:30 am UTC

Gadren wrote:
Learning about Roman culture was awesome, but I think the reason why I loved the class so much was because of all the other students. I don't know if it was this way for anyone else, but I found that the most interesting, the smartest, the oddest, and the nerdiest students were in the Latin class.

Agreed, It's always fun, the further you go the smaller and closer the group becomes, 'tis awesome. We used Cambridge for the first 3 years, then some Oxford texts.
Why pies on March 14? The Ides were the 15th.

did anyone else ever do the Aeneid?

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Sun May 25, 2008 2:44 am UTC

I lied and came back.

March 14th for Pi day, 3.14...

-and yep, we did some Virgil, but not much.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sun May 25, 2008 4:48 am UTC

In aus dates are given dd/mm/yr

Ja, the HSC (which I didn't do) was just lines of Aeneid (book 6). That would've been shit exam

Why Two Kay

Postby Why Two Kay » Sun May 25, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

Anybody else attending the JCL/SCL Latin Convention this summer in Ohio? I'll be there. Level 3, placed 5th in Texas for Grammar Advanced.

Latin Grammar is the only thing I'm really good at though, not so much vocabulary.
tl;dr - I said nothing important.

audioMIME
Location: Perspectivism? The center of the universe. Objectivism: Exactly "here" and nowhere else.

Postby audioMIME » Sun May 25, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

Beware the ideas of march, he has an overactive assassination. (c) -me [jk]

habui speram altam ut loquemur fortasse in latina, tamen video illud evellere non posse est. Ingemo huic.
I had high hopes that we might speak in latin, I see, however, that's out of the question; It makes me sigh.

[I'm Level III, going into IV/V AP next year. Placed #1 in Michigan with a 39/40. It depresses me that no one in Mi from lvl 3 aced this year's test. Woulda' been so cool to have been the only one... *SOB*]
Fact of the day: Public keyboards boast three times the e. coli of the average toilet seat.
Happy blogging!

steewi

Postby steewi » Mon May 26, 2008 3:00 am UTC

habui speram altam ut loquemur fortasse in latina, tamen video illud evellere non posse est. Ingemo huic.
I had high hopes that we might speak in latin, I see, however, that's out of the question; It makes me sigh.

Ego quoque. Sed mihi non est latinam loquare. Linguisticus sum, non sum classicus, ergo si linguam latinam loquare desideam, verba (casosque, conjugationemque) confingo.
Me, too. But it is not for me to speak Latin. I am a linguist, not a classicist, therefore, if I wish to speak Latin, I make up words (and cases, and conjugation).

Per grammaticum malum et parabulum unrectum emendatus est. Expecto quemadmodum scribit ecclesiasticus iuventus quo scribo. :|

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Thu May 29, 2008 11:17 am UTC

"Caecilius est in tablino, scribit." is all I got to say.

Go Cambridge Latin Course!

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Thu May 29, 2008 12:07 pm UTC

Hells fuckign yes!

Ancilla Grumionem vidit. Grumio ancillam vidit. Grumio laetus est.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Thu May 29, 2008 1:01 pm UTC

I have fond memories of school latin courses. In years 5 & 6 of primary school, Latin was on the curriculum, what with it being an independent boys' school and all, with several lessons a week with a grumpy woman (to those who never did the homework), affectionately known as Bazza. I think this was one of the fields where I got exam marks worthy of being 'top in the set', with said set being those who have mostly gone on for challenging spots at Oxbridge.
So Latin at primary school is a fairly vivid memory of mine. I think the texts we used back then was Ecce Romani, or 'Look at the Romans'. I think my initial translation was "Look (v.) Roman (adj.)!" Those books started off with some family in the country, going along the Via Appia to Rome, with the father taking up a job in the Senate I believe. I seem to remember a certain Sextus "descendit in piscinam", or falling into a fishpond, NOT a swimming pool as we had drilled into us (we did French at the same level at that school, so la piscine was also in our vocabulary).
Lessons were filled with: "Pugnare!" exclamations and this regular opener:
"Salvete pueri"
"Salve magister"
"Sedete"

When I moved to secondary school, Latin was offered in year 9, to go instead of Music and Design-Technology in the timetable. I eagerly signed up for it, and made good friends with Caecilius, Metella and Quintus. Yes, I too did the Cambridge Latin Course. Not only did I do it, but I kicked arse on it, coming top in the set of about 15 at the end of year, netting myself a nice little prize at the school awards ceremony.
Caecilius est in horto. Senex est perterritus.
[I should remember more terminology and grammar, but not much springs to mind in terms of complete phrases currently.]

I did consider continuing Latin at GCSE-level, and I'd gone down to Latin/German as the conundrum for a final course. After recommendation from all 3 languages teachers (Fr, De and La) I had at the time, I went on to do German, and carried on all the way to A2 level.

Regardless, I still signed up for a local intermediate-level (~13-15 years) Latin reading competition a year later, and came a respectable third, beating even those at my school in the year above and doing GCSE Latin, and getting trounced by those at the more elite boys' secondary school in the area, who probably did Drama alongside it, and actually could translate the passage word-for-word.
IIRC, the passage I was doing was from either the Aeneid or the Illiad, where it shows the burning of Troy as one man, possibly Pelias, stands atop his palace and gazes down at the blazing citadel.
I don't think I ever used the book token reward from it though, but I got my photo in a school newsletter wearing a toga.

So yeh, Latin, woo!

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Thu May 29, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~damian/p ... igata.html

now you can program in two dead languages ;)
in ur beanz makin u eveel

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Thu May 29, 2008 1:48 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:"Salvete pueri"
"Salve magister"
"Sedete"

Ja same here, except it wasn't pueri but discipoli (mixed school).

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Sat May 31, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

I can't believe I've never asked, but can you not say, "pueri" to mean boys and girls just as other languages? For instance, in Spanish you say "hijos" to mean sons and daughters though it is the masculine form so it also can just mean sons. If you only have daughters you say "hijas".

Alcas

Postby Alcas » Sat May 31, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

"Puer" specifically means boy, I think, while "hij(o/a)" means "child", with the gender being changeable by the ending. Not sure though.

I've also got to join the Cambridge Latin Course fanpeoples. Show him your giant crane!
"It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people"

Asleep or Wrong

Postby Asleep or Wrong » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:14 am UTC

solvsne inter qvi "latinvm cvrsvs lectionvm Cantabrigiensem" legerunt speravi Qvintvm imperatorem Romanorvm fieri?

atqve GRVVVVVVVMIIIIIIIOOOOOO

edit: could someone with better latin chops than i elucidate the way tenses of verbs in a complex sentance interact? i'm looking through a&g and gildersleeve and it's all going over my head
Last edited by Asleep or Wrong on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:11 am UTC

Perhaps if you learnt to use the letter 'u' you might find words easier, not to mention that most Latin teachers now prefer to make everyone spell 'v' as 'u' (uinum, uia, uir). It drives me insane. This serves no purpose other than to make everythign more complicated.

By complex sentence do you mean subordinate clauses?

Asleep or Wrong

Postby Asleep or Wrong » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:29 am UTC

yeah, the history of latin orthography is ridiculous. i've no idea why the u for both vowel and consonant lowercase v convention stuck.

with regard to the tense thing, yes. it seems like it should be pretty simple but as it turns out the sequence of tenses is mind-numblingly complicated.

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:37 am UTC

Exchanging u's and v's is just so fabulously pretentious... and that's what we Latinsies do best, no?

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:38 am UTC

Asleep or Wrong wrote:yeah, the history of latin orthography is ridiculous. I've no idea why the u for both vowel and consonant lowercase v convention stuck.

Well,one cause could have been the fact the Etruscan alphabet was weird but I don't know as wikipedia can't show mer the dam glyphs!

Also, have you ever tries carving a 'U'? It's waaaaaay easier to do a 'V'. That being said, I'd say this whole u/v mix up (if it ever existed) was cleared up in the first few hundred years surely. At least by the time of Virgil.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:52 am UTC

We used the Oxford course, and, my god, it had the most awful illustrations. We met the author at Latin Summer School last year, and his opening words were "Just don't mention the pictures."

Concerning 'v' vs. 'u': we tend to use the 'v' as a consonantal 'u'.

tu sol meus es,
solus sol meus.
laetam me facies
cum caeli cinerei sunt.
numquam scies, care
quantum te amo.
sic, te oro, noli
sol meus auferre.

Translated that on the way back due to sheer boredom. Probably has some errors that I'm too lazy to fix at the moment.

@ZLVT: if you still have such an interest, you should think about coming up to Sydney for the next one. There isn't anything like that meeting of like minds.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:46 am UTC

Haha, my not even though my Latin has deteriorated to an unbeleavable extent. Nice translation but I hate the song.
I went to Latin camp once though, that was fun.

zahlman

Postby zahlman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:33 am UTC

Cur pullus viam transiit?

Ut at alterum latum perveniret! Hae hae.

(Needs moar macrons. :( )
Belial wrote:I once had a series of undocumented and nonstandardized subjective experiences that indicated that anecdotal data is biased and unreliable.

proof_man

Postby proof_man » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:54 am UTC

edit
Last edited by proof_man on Fri May 17, 2013 1:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

zahlman

Postby zahlman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

proof_man wrote:Sextus est puer molestus.

For us, he erit discipulus malus. "Sextus est discipulus malus" actually became the Latin motto of the student council. :)
Belial wrote:I once had a series of undocumented and nonstandardized subjective experiences that indicated that anecdotal data is biased and unreliable.

omega

Postby omega » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:17 am UTC

Lingua latina pulcherrima est, sed mihi eam multum studendum est.
(Apologies for bad grammar.)
That being said, I really forgot a lot of my Latin but I enjoyed it in high school so much that I actually met up with a language student from uni to speak latin once a week. We would sit in a cafe, have some tea and talk in latin for hours.

Sadly, I couldn't study Latin at school after 11th grade because I was literally the only one in the school who wanted to continue the course, but I went on reading Ovid on my own (and tried my hands on love poetry in hexameters. To be short, I failed, it was correct but, let's just say, the Vogons are only the third-worst poets in the universe). And when we read Pico della Mirandola in philosophy later, the original text was included in the copy so i would usually read the original rather than the translation. It was cool, really, I've got to re-learn my Latin.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:21 am UTC

proof_man wrote:Sextus est puer molestus.

Ecce! In pictura est puella, nomine Cornelia.

Illi cartae Ecce Romani sunt boni. Volo plus scholares Latinam gnoturos.
Ego in ordine tertia Latinae est, sed difficilior videtur scribere sententiae germanae est.

I hope I didn't mangle that too much, I don't have my book handy.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

Aww... Cornelia et Flavia puellae Romanae sunt, yes? :D That book was ages ago... and not only is Sextus a bad student, he is a coward!

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:44 am UTC

Good old Ecce Romani. Cave fossa, Cave the friggen fossa. Sorry, that part got me a bit fed up.

Now Vergil, he knew where it was at.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

GreedyAlgorithm

"Why are we still talking about this?"

Postby GreedyAlgorithm » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

OliverTheMerc wrote: oh man
I need to learn how to say "Why are we still talking about this?" in Latin, and to abbreviate it to use instead of QED at the end of very long proofs
maybe just proofs where I show something is the Catalan numbers

Any help?
GENERATION 1-i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

Robin S

Re: "Why are we still talking about this?"

Postby Robin S » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

Shouldn't this be in the Linguistics subforum? Possibly in this thread.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

GreedyAlgorithm

Postby GreedyAlgorithm » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

Looks that way to me, yes.
GENERATION 1-i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

Token

Postby Token » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

Cur hunc adhuc famur?

That's a very literal translation, and I'm not sure about my use of for. I'll work on it.
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

Puella in casa laborat. Quintus ad ludum ambulabat.. cum Decimum in arbore videret. "Hey, dumbass!", inquit "qu'est-ce que le hell facis?".
Here I'm allowed everything all of the time

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

That's awesome, but what case is "videret" and what is "ludus/m"? Iudus was game.

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:02 pm UTC

Imperfect subjunctive, I believe... I do not know what you mean to ask by "what is ludus?" What case?

Return to “Language/Linguistics”