Moderatores Populusque XKCDi [Latin]

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

steewi

Re: Moderatores Populusque XKCDi [Latin]

Postby steewi » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:01 am UTC

Is Quintus walking to the game? Surely that's the wrong case, using "ad + ACC" as a directive?

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:47 am UTC

Eruantale wrote:Imperfect subjunctive, I believe... I do not know what you mean to ask by "what is ludus?" What case?

I meant the meaning of the word ludus, I thought it meant game but it made little sense to me since I'd only ever used it in the context of a board game
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:57 am UTC

Ludus is also school. Or at least it was in our book..
Here I'm allowed everything all of the time

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

ZLVT wrote:
Eruantale wrote:Imperfect subjunctive, I believe... I do not know what you mean to ask by "what is ludus?" What case?

I meant the meaning of the word ludus, I thought it meant game but it made little sense to me since I'd only ever used it in the context of a board game

Ah, well if it was supposed to mean "game" it was probably the gladiatorial games or something similar.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://www.yessy.com/ladycarmen

Cincinnatus

Postby Cincinnatus » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:39 am UTC

Has anyone ever stumbled across a copy of De Bello Gallico, or better yet, all of Caesar's works, actually IN LATIN? I took 4 years in high school, had to do the last as an independent study because it clashed with my Deutsch V and AP Gov classes :) , and now have little to no room in my college schedule for lovely little fancies like the Classics :cry: ...so I will attempt to pursue them on my own. That having been said, I love reading Caesar, but have never been able to find his works in Latin, not online, outside of the classroom. Anyone :?:
Last edited by Cincinnatus on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Cincinnatus

Postby Cincinnatus » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:41 am UTC

I also agree, btw, with the above ideas regarding school/gladiatorial games. That's how I always used it.

Asleep or Wrong

Postby Asleep or Wrong » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

Cincinnatus wrote:Has anyone ever stumbled across a copy of De Bello Gallico, or better yet, all of Caesar's works, actually IN LATIN? I took 4 years in high school, had to do the last as an independent study because it clashed with my Deutsch V and AP Gov classes :) , and now have little to no room in my college schedule for lovely little fancies like the Classics :cry: ...so I will attempt to pursue them on my own. That having been said, I love reading Caesar, but have never been able to find his works in Latin, not online, outside of the classroom. Anyone :?:

if reading off of screens doesn't bother you:
http://la.wikisource.org/wiki/Scriptor: ... ius_Caesar

Cincinnatus

Postby Cincinnatus » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

Asleep or Wrong wrote:if reading off of screens doesn't bother you:
http://la.wikisource.org/wiki/Scriptor: ... ius_Caesar

Thanks. I had never found that before. I might have to resort to that, but there's something a little romantic in me that prefers actual paper and text when translating. But thanks very much!

Asleep or Wrong

Postby Asleep or Wrong » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

as for that, you may want to try looking into your nearest university's library. most schools have a good body of latin and greek texts, even in this day and age.
and failing that, you could probably be scalped at amazon.com or somesuch.

Hefty One

Postby Hefty One » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:56 am UTC

Gadren wrote:Mica, mica, parva stella
Miror quaenam sis tam bella
Splendens enimus in illo
Alba velut, gemma caelo!

Is that "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star"

If it is, then I have surprised myself this night.

!!Latin FTW Dawg!!

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

Salvete omnes! Suntne personae sufficientes in foro ut latine loquamur? Magister Latinae linguae sum, sine qualificatione academica, sed linguam amo.

Valete.
Image <-- Evil experiment

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

Cincinnatus wrote:Has anyone ever stumbled across a copy of De Bello Gallico, or better yet, all of Caesar's works, actually IN LATIN? I took 4 years in high school, had to do the last as an independent study because it clashed with my Deutsch V and AP Gov classes :) , and now have little to no room in my college schedule for lovely little fancies like the Classics :cry: ...so I will attempt to pursue them on my own. That having been said, I love reading Caesar, but have never been able to find his works in Latin, not online, outside of the classroom. Anyone :?:

There is a new edition of Books I, IV and V of Commentarii de Bello Gallico from Domus Latina http://www.lingua-latina.dk. The U.S. distributor is FOCUS Publishing: http://www.pullins.com/txt/LinguaLatina.htm#ancillaries.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:Salvete omnes! Suntne personae sufficientes in foro ut latine loquamur? Magister Latinae linguae sum, sine qualificatione academica, sed linguam amo.

Valete.

I did Latin > English translation only I'm afraid. Good effort though.

pat dangerous

Postby pat dangerous » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:04 am UTC

Baza210 wrote:
mpolo wrote:Salvete omnes! Suntne personae sufficientes in foro ut latine loquamur? Magister Latinae linguae sum, sine qualificatione academica, sed linguam amo.

Valete.

I did Latin > English translation only I'm afraid. Good effort though.

Quis cura ibi est?
What is the question here?
Strong Bad wrote:Some people are squirrel-handed.
Gregor is a weird name.

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:43 pm UTC

Salvete omnes! Suntne personae sufficientes in foro ut latine loquamur? Magister Latinae linguae sum, sine qualificatione academica, sed linguam amo.

Valete.

Greetings all! Isn't there anyone [sic] on the forum good enough to speak Latin? I am a master of the Latin language, without an academic qualification, but I love the language.

Farewell.

Nice to know that despite having done my final Latin exam 4 months ago, I can still translate basic sentences..

pat dangerous

Postby pat dangerous » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:33 pm UTC

Illam partem habeo. Dicti scit, sed gistum curae mpoli nescit.
I got that part. I knew 'those said things' [lit.], but didn't know the gist of mpolo's question.

ad mpolum:
Laetior sum tecum Latinam linguam fari! Hic meus sextus annus studiorum est.
Gregor is a weird name.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:05 am UTC

i am jealous of you guys
there are no summer latin classes in hawaii that i can find
and there maybe all of two schools on the island that teach it for more than a semester
i've been looking for 4 years =[
ImageImageImageImageImage

pat dangerous

Postby pat dangerous » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:17 am UTC

Mei deliciae sunt cum meum magister Latinam colloquor Brevibus-Nuntiis.
Lit: My favorite is when I chat with my Latin teacher by means of Instant-Messages.

My Latin teacher from high school and I still talk at least once a day, more often than not over IM. There's no better way to get good at a language than by using it conversationally.
Gregor is a weird name.

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:41 pm UTC

pat dangerous wrote:Mei deliciae sunt cum meum magister Latinam colloquor Brevibus-Nuntiis.
Lit: My favorite is when I chat with my Latin teacher by means of Instant-Messages.

My Latin teacher from high school and I still talk at least once a day, more often than not over IM. There's no better way to get good at a language than by using it conversationally.

I don't think that sentence is ordered correctly :/

cooldude76
Location: North Side of Chicago, Illinios, United States, North America, The Western Hemisphere, Earth,

Postby cooldude76 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:44 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:I have fond memories of school latin courses. In years 5 & 6 of primary school, Latin was on the curriculum, what with it being an independent boys' school and all, with several lessons a week with a grumpy woman (to those who never did the homework), affectionately known as Bazza. I think this was one of the fields where I got exam marks worthy of being 'top in the set', with said set being those who have mostly gone on for challenging spots at Oxbridge.
So Latin at primary school is a fairly vivid memory of mine. I think the texts we used back then was Ecce Romani, or 'Look at the Romans'. I think my initial translation was "Look (v.) Roman (adj.)!" Those books started off with some family in the country, going along the Via Appia to Rome, with the father taking up a job in the Senate I believe. I seem to remember a certain Sextus "descendit in piscinam", or falling into a fishpond, NOT a swimming pool as we had drilled into us (we did French at the same level at that school, so la piscine was also in our vocabulary).
Lessons were filled with: "Pugnare!" exclamations and this regular opener:
"Salvete pueri"
"Salve magister"
"Sedete"
!

I use "Ecce Romani" too (Though I'm a First year in Highskool). I like the format and what not. I quite enjoy latin, and participated in a competition for school. That was pretty fun. I'll probably come back to this post in ten years and rewrite it all in latin.

That's pretty much all my experience (I can't think of anything useful to write, with my limited vocab.)

Aside from that, a question:

Does anyone here have any kind of latin slang? If so, what? If not, would you like to make some/one (Herm, what word should I use there? Some slang? or A Slang?... (massive discursion).... anyway)? I think some modern slanglatin would be cool. Just an idea.

EDIT: Upon further reading, I have found that Ecce! is quite popular. mater servum ignavum reprehendit, Minime? Anyway, I also noticed... I forgot. :*(

EDIT, again: I remembered! It was about the u/v thing. My teacher just teaches us the Classical pronunciation (V as a u/w sound), says it was the way the Romans pronounced it. Good enough for me!
"... And How are Things in the Hallway..."
-- A Clockwork Orange.

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:38 am UTC

Cincinnatus wrote:Has anyone ever stumbled across a copy of De Bello Gallico, or better yet, all of Caesar's works, actually IN LATIN? I took 4 years in high school, had to do the last as an independent study because it clashed with my Deutsch V and AP Gov classes :) , and now have little to no room in my college schedule for lovely little fancies like the Classics :cry: ...so I will attempt to pursue them on my own. That having been said, I love reading Caesar, but have never been able to find his works in Latin, not online, outside of the classroom. Anyone?

Where did you go? I think you should come back and talk about De Bello Gallico mecum. :) "Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres." Sometimes substantial portions of those passages randomly come to my mind. I love it.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

bereka

Postby bereka » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:11 am UTC

Wow, this is splendid. Did anyone else have to memorize the first fifty lines of the Aeneid? Arma virumque cano Troiae qui primus ab oris... My roommate in high school once woke up to me creepily chanting it in my sleep.
I worked as a Latin Consultant for a church for a while, but now my Latin has gotten pretty rusty. If you haven't seen it yet, google William Whitaker's Words, it's my favorite crutch.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:05 am UTC

hahaha, that'd be the scariest thing ever if you don't speak Latin. Mumbling strange foreign verse in your sleep. Creepy.

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

Never had to learn off Latin, but we did have to know how to translate the first 500 lines of Aeneid Book 9 perfectly.

Ah, poor Nisus and Euryalus.

setris

Postby setris » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:27 am UTC

I'm on my fourth year of Latin in high school now. I used to be part of a class of 23 (out of a grade of 125) learning it, but only 4 of us went on to AP Latin. It's gonna be tough come the end of the year, since we've done a crapload of grammar and a good amount of vocabulary, but almost no meter and poetic stuff yet. It's fun with just the four of us, since we get through work fast when we actually work, but half of the time we just derail the class with some sort of tangent conversation.

We used Ecce Romani, volumes I and II, for three years. Last year, for Latin III, they split us up into regular and honors, so we got to go into some Livy, Martial, and Caesar, which was kinda interesting. Our catch phrase was "Raeda in fossa haerebat," (we even had some t-shirts made) and we all cracked up when someone translated "Quintus Valerius" (a person's name) as "Valerius the Fifth."

Virgil's infinitely better than Ecce Romani (but also infinitely harder), and we've got a nice little tight-knit group, and it's funny how some of the kids who take Latin end up being at the top of the grade.

Perge modo et, qua te ducit via, derige gressum.
IN SANE WE TRUST

I'm not a democrat or a republican,
I'm just right no matter what.

LeopoldBloom

Postby LeopoldBloom » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:58 am UTC

just to prove my credentials

Caecilius est pater
Mettella est mater
Quintus est fillius
Cerberus est canis
Grumio est coquos

and i forgot the last one, thats about the only thing that stuck in my head after 2 years (aside from quite a bit of unnessercery vocab). But yeah, latin rocks.
Nuke the Gay Islamic Whales for Jesus!!!!!

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

Melissa est ancilla

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:53 am UTC

bereka wrote:Wow, this is splendid. Did anyone else have to memorize the first fifty lines of the Aeneid? Arma virumque cano Troiae qui primus ab oris... My roommate in high school once woke up to me creepily chanting it in my sleep.
I worked as a Latin Consultant for a church for a while, but now my Latin has gotten pretty rusty. If you haven't seen it yet, google William Whitaker's Words, it's my favorite crutch.

I think we only did the first 12... (and it might have even been extra credit)
DEFINTELY use Whitaker's Words.
Sometimes I forget that it's not available for exams.

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:56 am UTC

setris wrote:It's gonna be tough come the end of the year, since we've done a crapload of grammar and a good amount of vocabulary, but almost no meter and poetic stuff yet.

We did Ovid's love poetry for half of the semester. Poetry is tough stuff. :?

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:39 am UTC

we did his one about not giving up when you want a girl. It wasn't too bad.

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

From Ars Amatoriae? Do you remember any of it?

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

I think I'm going to start predicting events in Latin. I will always be right. Agis Rem.

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:07 am UTC

Verum dicis.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:30 am UTC

Eruantale wrote:From Ars Amatoriae? Do you remember any of it?

Amatoria and I have the book right here.

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:34 am UTC

Would this be the correct translation of my sig?
hic omnis semper mihi situs est

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:37 pm UTC

Baza210 wrote:Would this be the correct translation of my sig?
hic omnis semper mihi situs est

I think it would be more like:
Hic situs omnis res omnis temporis sum.

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:28 am UTC

Two sides of the same situation. I suppose yours is a more literally correct translation of the lyric, but I just thought mine sounded a bit more .. Latin-esque.. :l

Geminex

Postby Geminex » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

Hey!
Quis agit? ^^
I have some latin experience as well, though I have a mere 3 years under my metamorphical belt. I really like the language, the flow of it (one of our teachers used to write latin poetry) and of course the slight sense of smug superiority (no alliteration intended) that you get from spouting latin phrases in everyday conversations and having people stare at you like you're posessed.

You need the right teacher though, otherwise it's a terrible language to learn. Ours was awesome, but a parallel class really disliked theirs.

Oh, and are you kidding me?
Dobblesworth wrote:"Salvete pueri"
"Salve magister"
"Sedete"

Our lessons began almost exactly like this! Only ours were
"Salvete discipuli, salvete discipulae!"
"Salve magistra!" (We always yelled it, not so much out of deep and admiring respect, but out of a desire to annoy the french class next to us.)
Still, the similarities are obvious... you think there's some sort of secret latin teacher society? 0.0

Anyway, 'twas fun and I'd love to do some more latin when I have the chance...

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Baza210 wrote:Two sides of the same situation. I suppose yours is a more literally correct translation of the lyric, but I just thought mine sounded a bit more .. Latin-esque.. :l

I haven't had much experience translating English to Latin, so yours might very well be several times better than mine. My Latin teacher believes that you have to be a native Latin speaker to be able to speak it well and not have it turn out really crappy when you translate it back to English, so we never translate English to Latin.

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:44 pm UTC

Levi wrote:
Baza210 wrote:Two sides of the same situation. I suppose yours is a more literally correct translation of the lyric, but I just thought mine sounded a bit more .. Latin-esque.. :l

I haven't had much experience translating English to Latin, so yours might very well be several times better than mine. My Latin teacher believes that you have to be a native Latin speaker to be able to speak it well and not have it turn out really crappy when you translate it back to English, so we never translate English to Latin.

I don't have any experience of English to Latin. It was an optional question on our exam paper in which we did the harder translation..

Return to “Language/Linguistics”