Think Before Naming Your Child

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Luthen

Re: Think Before Naming Your Child

Postby Luthen » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:52 am UTC

Monika wrote:
Out of context quote of the week: "Practice static safety: Hack naked."

I am sure curious about that context.
Static electricity problems from MegaTokyo
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

Bhelliom

Postby Bhelliom » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:56 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
Out of context quote of the week: "Practice static safety: Hack naked."

I am sure curious about that context.

Avid Fan.
Have the T-shirt.
It is Awesome.
"Eloquently Blunt"

Fuzzy Toaster

Postby Fuzzy Toaster » Sat May 02, 2009 4:56 am UTC

My grandma (a retired teacher) said she once had a kid in her class named Owen Bowen
Es ist nicht deine schuld, dass die Welt ist wie sie ist.
Es wär nur deine schuld, wenn sie so bleibt.

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Sat May 02, 2009 5:50 am UTC

A girl I know is named Morgan Morgan.

Oh, and someone where I used to work was named Dusty Goldsmith.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

alitheiapsis

Postby alitheiapsis » Sun May 03, 2009 5:42 am UTC

I had a friend in elementary school named Taylor who supposedly had a crush on a guy named Tyler Taylor [why would you do that? It's a freaking tongue-twister for a name!]. The usual marriage jokes were made, and lulz ensued. In a similar situation, people have begun to point out that if I married my current boyfriend (we're sixteen, but people do love making those sorts of comments) then my name would be Aly Li. *shakes head*

I am also reminded of my geography teacher, who told me a student, when asked, said her mother's name was Shanice (or something), spelled "Shoney's". I wasn't inclined to believe him, but he was being totally serious, so I guess it's legit. Plus, he's taught at some pretty crazy schools, so I guess it's possible.

Quincunx

Postby Quincunx » Sun May 03, 2009 10:27 am UTC

There are several distinct things to ponder when naming a child.
If you choose a classical name, have you researched it ? Phrynne was a prostitute; Pandora had a foul box; Rochelle honours St. Roche, patron saint of beggars and running sores. If your surname is Balls, Ophelia might not be too suitable. You are not required ever to name a child, just to register a live birth with gender. That way they can choose their own name, but there can be trouble getting benefits, or school enrolment, and a passport requires a first name. Pity so many nice sounding names are unsuitable (I've heard of a Polynesian girl called Chlorine).

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun May 03, 2009 10:33 am UTC

A Portuguese friend of mine told me about a Brazilian kid he knew called Usnavy. (Not sure about the spelling.)
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Sun May 03, 2009 7:19 pm UTC

Wow, I just found a cruel one:
Jupadhye Upadhye, a computer programmer with an Indian software company based in Singapore[...]
Jupadhye Upadhye? Come the fuck on. The parents just took the last name, smacked a J in front of it, and called it a first name...

Source: http://www.sciencebase.com/science-blog ... otype.html
Scroll down about 1/3 on the page, or Ctrl+F it.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

josiahstevenson

Postby josiahstevenson » Wed May 06, 2009 9:43 am UTC

I think my parents did a wonderful job with my name: Josiah.

It's a Bible name. The Josiah in the Bible is just important enough that almost everyone with substantial Biblical knowledge will recognize it, but just obscure enough to sound foreign to people who don't know the Bible very well at all. Really, a person's reaction to it is basically a religious litmus test.

I think it's brilliant, and I'll likely go the same route for my kids.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed May 06, 2009 11:05 am UTC

Hm, I dunno. My thought about someone named Josiah would be: "An uncommon name from the Bible. His parents must be very religious." I don't have substantial Bible knowledge. I don't even have a Bible (except for "The Bible for Dummies", but I haven't read that, yet). And why would it be important to have a litmus test for people's Bible knowledge anyway? And do people actually say to you, upon being introduced, "So you're named for Josiah, who was king of Judah about 641-609 BC."?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed May 06, 2009 11:35 am UTC

Monika wrote:His parents must be very religious.

And I would think "His parents must be Jewish, or *maybe* Protestant".

(Because here most people have Catholic names).

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Wed May 06, 2009 12:27 pm UTC

In France isn't it a bit cruel to give a child a name that doesn't have a Saint's day? IIRC, it's a very big thing the other side of the channel.

Actually, how does that work anyway?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed May 06, 2009 1:13 pm UTC

Yes, here most people are named after saints; these names are so common we don't even think of it as religious names. My parents didn't baptise me, but they named me Laurent. All I know about Saint Laurent is that he died on a grill, which is cool.

Also, the saint in question often has its day not very far from the birth day.

What *is* cruel is to give your child an English name like Kevin or Steve. It suggests you watch too many American TV series, and is not classy at all.

(Note there is nothing wrong about the British who live in France and have English names - I mean this about French families).

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed May 06, 2009 1:51 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:In France isn't it a bit cruel to give a child a name that doesn't have a Saint's day? IIRC, it's a very big thing the other side of the channel.

I think that's not (only) a French thing. All Catholics are technically required to have a Saint's name at least as a second name, as far as I know.

Some Catholic Germans celebrate their name day, too, but it's not so common anymore today. Many Calendars, not only religious ones, still list the names for each day.

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Wed May 06, 2009 2:28 pm UTC

josiahstevenson wrote:I think my parents did a wonderful job with my name: Josiah.

Josiah = Amish. Sorry.
(Stay away from NE Ohio or Western Pennsylvania, and you'll probably be fine.)
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

josiahstevenson

Postby josiahstevenson » Wed May 06, 2009 6:07 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Hm, I dunno. My thought about someone named Josiah would be: "An uncommon name from the Bible. His parents must be very religious." I don't have substantial Bible knowledge. I don't even have a Bible (except for "The Bible for Dummies", but I haven't read that, yet). And why would it be important to have a litmus test for people's Bible knowledge anyway? And do people actually say to you, upon being introduced, "So you're named for Josiah, who was king of Judah about 641-609 BC."?

And you'd be right about my parents. Luckily, I'm very religious too, and I like it that that's the first thing people find out about me.

It's mostly just interesting to watch. People who know the story act differently when they hear my name - and some DO mention the biblical king, but they tend to do so differently from they type of person who quotes the wikipedia entry about everything. "Oh, like the king!? Cool!" is actually fairly common.

And I would think "His parents must be Jewish, or *maybe* Protestant".

Protestant. Actually, they were in Jordan as missionaries when I was born, and took quite a bit of flak for giving me a Jewish-sounding name. My father's really not the highly diplomatic sort of person.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed May 06, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

Two consecutive posts on this page have Contained my First, and Last names.(albeit one is spelled wrong)
What I love about my name is that when I tell people, they often say "That's a very Welsh name" In a terrible accent. Even an exam moderator did it, and said "Well, I think you're guaranteed an A now" Purely because of my Welsh Name.

Owain Morgan.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Thu May 07, 2009 9:59 am UTC

Monika wrote:I think that's not (only) a French thing. All Catholics are technically required to have a Saint's name at least as a second name, as far as I know.

Some Catholic Germans celebrate their name day, too, but it's not so common anymore today. Many Calendars, not only religious ones, still list the names for each day.

Thinking about it my middle name came from St Mark... Although my parents are protestant. I guess they just thought it was a cool idea. :)

Also, IIRC you were in the English from another perspective thread and wanted occasional correction? You only need the one of "anymore" or "today".

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Thu May 07, 2009 11:44 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Also, IIRC you were in the English from another perspective thread and wanted occasional correction? You only need the one of "anymore" or "today".

Hmm, sounds strange with only one of them :?

AVbd

Postby AVbd » Sat May 16, 2009 1:40 pm UTC

In Orthodox Christianity (at least the form I'm familiar with), everyone must be named after a saint when they are baptised, and has a "Namesday" celebration on the day of their saint, which is supposed to be more important than their birthday celebration.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon May 18, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

Only German-speaking xkcd readers will be able to fully enjoy this:
Hasso von Wedel
Proof: http://www.anwalt.de/wedel

For the non-German-speaking readers:
Hasso - typical dog name
(mit dem Schwanz) wedeln - to wag (the tail)

bpsp

Postby bpsp » Thu May 21, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:A Portuguese friend of mine told me about a Brazilian kid he knew called Usnavy. (Not sure about the spelling.)

The main character in the musical 'In the Heights' is named Usnavy. The character is from the Dominican Republic (if I remember correctly), and has a few lines about his ridiculous parents naming him after what they saw on the side of a ship.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Thu May 21, 2009 8:31 pm UTC

I just heard the telly behind me mention a "Dr. Douchey Kumar" I looked and it was a documentary about the Air Ambulance...This guy lives in the same county as me, I feel so privileged.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

a Person

Postby a Person » Fri May 22, 2009 8:44 pm UTC

Someone in my school district is named Dan McMann... :)

Agent_Irons

Postby Agent_Irons » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

a Person wrote:Someone in my school district is named Dan McMann... :)

I have a friend with an extended family history that just screams "cultural pressure". The oldest kid is named freedom, the middle child joy, and the youngest john. Not especially interesting, except as a fossil record of hippie-tude.

Threb

Postby Threb » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

At my school, there's a girl named "Ana Graham."

Pretty neat, actually.

On another note, I think middle names should go for "as neat as possible," normalcy be damned -- since you can always omit or initialize a middle name if you don't like it. I think, for instance, that "Xenia" would be a sweet middle name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenia_(name)

Here you've got plant sex and hospitality -- all in one name.

In addition, I think middle names should roll off the tongue when pronounced with the rest of the name -- my mom added "Allan" to my inventory of middle names for exactly this purpose. She seemed embarrassed when I asked her what the significance of "Allan" was, since "Evan," my other middle name, was my grandfather's name, (when in comparison Allan was just added to make it roll off the tongue) but I thought it was cool.

EDIT:

I was just going for walk, and along the usual route I take is a middle school. When I walked past it the second time (going back) I noticed on one of the small metal columns supporting the little structure that shades kids waiting outside for school to start from the rain had something scrawled on it in pencil.

I looked closer, and saw:

"Jestiny is a hoe"

Typical sort of graffiti you'd see in a middle or high school, but I did a double take at the name. Surely, nobody would name their child "Jestiny."

Sadly, my suspicions were confirmed. The J couldn't have been a weird, partially erased D, and I doubt the same sort of middle schoolers that write graffiti like that would come up with something like "Jest + Destiny = LOL JESTINY."

So...who names their kid JESTINY? What the hell, humanity?

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:16 am UTC

One of the higher-ups in SoccerMaine (they're the governing body of youth soccer in Maine) is Charles Brown, who actually goes by Charlie.

Going back to William Williams et. al., some of the cross-country runners at my high school used to talk about running against a Mohamed Mohamed Mohamed (or some other variation of the name). I'm having a heck of a time trying to find record of it, though, so I can't say that this is necessarily a true one. I do know that there was a Mohamed Ahmed that ran for a neighboring town during those years, so they could have just been poking fun at him.

The Big G in Charge wrote:My uncle once told me a story about a woman who wanted to name her daughter 'Jasmine.' Apparently whoever wrote the name down for submission wrote down "Jazzman" for the birth certificate.

This reminded me of a vanity license plate that one of my roommates pointed out to me in a parking lot at my school. It read JZZGRL. The band-related stickers made it clear what the meaning was supposed to be, but that was still cringe-worthy.
Hi you.
she/her

Cithoge

Postby Cithoge » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:07 am UTC

I have heard of a girl named Polly-Ester. Her parents were either incredibly cool, or incredibly stupid...

Another that's just plain stupid is Ann Al (with Swedish pronunciation...). WHY?!

At work there is someone called Mary McClarey... everyone in my department has a giggle when her name is mentioned.
On two occasions I have been asked: "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
- Charles Babbage

AVbd

Postby AVbd » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

Threb wrote:On another note, I think middle names should go for "as neat as possible," normalcy be damned -- since you can always omit or initialize a middle name if you don't like it. I think, for instance, that "Xenia" would be a sweet middle name.

Lousy first name though. One of my half sisters is named Xenia, except it's become anglicised a bit over her life, and it's now spelt Kasenia, or Casseniya, or ... she doesn't even know.

persiflage

Postby persiflage » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:58 pm UTC

The church I attend has a bi-weekly newsletter where they announce the names of newly-christened babies. My favourite ever? Villaflores Danyalyne Mericher Alilang o__o

Apeiron

Postby Apeiron » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

You already posted that same link in this same thread. Either participate in actual discussion, or don't spam your website here.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:26 pm UTC

7) Thou shalt give thought to what names your child might be called based on their name, and also to what their initials will be. If you are naming a daughter, her last a initial might change.
Good rule. Shame I don't agree with the rest of them.

I've had some interesting ones recently: Connor Elizabeth [surname], that one made me look twice; Mr and Mrs Christ, and Mr Goodenough.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

alitheiapsis

Postby alitheiapsis » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:50 am UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:Mr and Mrs Christ,
/angell

The Florida governor is Charlie Christ (pronounced with a short i), and I have always wondered why he missed the opportunity to become awesome by naming his child Jésus. After all, this if Florida. We have enough Hispanics that it should not really matter that much.

Of course, I would never really encourage someone to name their child Jésus Christ, but I love imagining it.

Sir Fluffum

Postby Sir Fluffum » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:14 am UTC

An urban legend I'm quoting as it was told to me, "So this girl gets knocked up. She don't know who the dad is. 'Bout the time she's startin' to look like a preggo, She starts cravin' orange jello. When the kid pops out, she names him Orangjello(pronouced O-rang-jel-lo)."
Funny but unlikely to be true.

As for my hypothetical offspring, I like Argonian names like Tun-Zeeus, Heir-Zish, or Dreet-Lai for a boy or Muz-Ra,Kal-Ma, or Bur-Meema for a girl. I know they would hate me. Unless they were awesome. No sane female would let me name their child though. But then again I find sane women somewhat boring. I can imagine a Kindergarten teacher having trouble pronoucing "Dreet-Lai" and look up expecting to see some forign (I know I spelled it wrong) kid raising his hand, but seeing a white kid and thinking "What were HIS perents (Spelling fail again) on"

My genernation(*Sob* can't find spell check. I know I have it) has problems with name creativity. Classmates in 8th grade: Andrew I. Andrew N. Andrew P. Andrew R. Josh M. Josh M.(Mclucky, we called him) Steven G. Stephen(Insists on pronoucing it "Steven") R. Matt S. Matt M. C.J. S. C.J. F. Emily W. Emily L. Those are all the doubles I can think of at 03:07, no pun intended. I should wrap this up before I start to ramble. Try not to die while I'm gone. Insert generic witty comment.

Sir Fluffum

Postby Sir Fluffum » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:30 am UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:
7) Thou shalt give thought to what names your child might be called based on their name, and also to what their initials will be. If you are naming a daughter, her last a initial might change.
Good rule. Shame I don't agree with the rest of them.

A Dellilah(I blame sleep deprivation for my inability to spell.) Ariel Nichole spoke to me about how she wanted to marry some guy whose last name started with M to get back at her perents for naming her after a mermaid. I don't think she was talking specifically to me. just any one who would listen.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:58 am UTC

Sir Fluffum wrote:My genernation(*Sob* can't find spell check.

I use Google for spellchecking English, because there is no easy way to switch between German and English spellchecking in Firefox (it's very easy in Thunderbird).
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=genernation Did you mean: generation

Or one can go by the number of hits ;)
http://www.german-bash.org/25554
(Translation
Ergebnisse 1 - 10 von ungefähr 110.000 Seiten auf Deutsch für legastheniker
= Results 1 - 10 of about 110,000 pages in German for dyslexic)

ssbookyu123

Postby ssbookyu123 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

I know some one who named thier baby girl Lucifer Luci for short they apparently didn't see any thing wrong with it. :lol:

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:57 am UTC

How has nobody linked to this story yet?!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8161184.stm

Spoiler:
Facebook same name couple to wed

A couple with the same name who found each other through social networking website Facebook are to tie the knot.
Kelly Katrina Hildebrandt, 20, was bored one evening last year when she put her name into the site and came across Kelly Carl Hildebrandt, 24.
She sent the only other Kelly Hildebrandt, of Lubbock, Texas, a message and they became friends.
"Hi. We had the same name. Thought it was cool."
Mr Hildebrandt admitted, however, that he had worried they might be related.
The couple plan to tie the knot in October and have confirmed that they do not plan to pass their first names on to any future offspring.
Dudes, I'm a woman.

canoemoose

Postby canoemoose » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

My Mum was at school with a Justin Case and a Theresa Green.

I'm Matthew, and prefer the full version of my name to Matt, which surprises a lot of people. Surprisingly (for the UK) many people seem to spell my name incorrectly with only one "t" - Mathew.

My middle name, John, runs back as a middle name in my family for at least 4 generations. I like this and will probably continue the tradition of giving the name to my eldest son.

My surname is a popular first name, which can lead to confusion when introducing myself, as Matthews is also a common surname.
22/Male/Female/Single/Yep
(Age/Gender/Interested in/Status/Don't you hate people who just jump on the bandwagon)

Windows 7, Server 2008R2, Ubuntu, Android, iOS user

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

canoemoose wrote:My Mum was at school with a Justin Case and a Theresa Green.

I'm Matthew, and prefer the full version of my name to Matt, which surprises a lot of people. Surprisingly (for the UK) many people seem to spell my name incorrectly with only one "t" - Mathew.

My middle name, John, runs back as a middle name in my family for at least 4 generations. I like this and will probably continue the tradition of giving the name to my eldest son.

My surname is a popular first name, which can lead to confusion when introducing myself, as Matthews is also a common surname.

So what are you, Matthew John Luke? :D
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”