Think Before Naming Your Child

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Think Before Naming Your Child

Postby Darryl » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:30 pm UTC

Moo wrote:
Hayden wrote:
Moo wrote:it doesn't have to have anything to do with Christianity
Emphasis added to highlight what I meant. I actually typed "if the person doesn't want it to" at the end of that sentence and somehow it got lost in the final edit. If you name your kid Luke because you are a Star Wars fan then obviously it has geeky connotations; but there are plenty of people who name their kids Luke because they like the name. It can just be a name. Especially if it is already a very common name, like Luke, or Christian.

Is it geeky or manly if you name a kid Luke after Cool Hand Luke, though?
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!
Darryl

Postby Hayden » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:00 am UTC

Moo wrote:
Hayden wrote:
Emphasis added to highlight what I meant. I actually typed "if the person doesn't want it to" at the end of that sentence and somehow it got lost in the final edit. If you name your kid Luke because you are a Star Wars fan then obviously it has geeky connotations; but there are plenty of people who name their kids Luke because they like the name. It can just be a name. Especially if it is already a very common name, like Luke, or Christian.

Since when did people start naming their kids Luke from Star Wars? :shock:
Hayden

Postby Sim0n » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:41 am UTC

I don't know why people go out on great lengths to name their child something obscure and weird. A name is a name, not something you show off to everyone.

My names for my children will probably be John if it's a boy, or Rebecca if it's a girl.
Sim0n

Postby folkhero » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:28 am UTC

Hayden wrote:
Moo wrote:
Hayden wrote:

Since when did people start naming their kids Luke from Star Wars? :shock:

We named our dog Luke from Star Wars. We had some friends with an old wrinkly dog named Yoda. I think Luke really could use the force, he got loaves of bread from the counter that he couldn't have possibly been able to reach on his own.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...
folkhero

Postby Moo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:29 am UTC

Hayden wrote:Since when did people start naming their kids Luke from Star Wars? :shock:
My colleague. And what's wrong with being called Luke?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Hayden » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:20 am UTC

Moo wrote:
Hayden wrote:Since when did people start naming their kids Luke from Star Wars? :shock:
My colleague. And what's wrong with being called Luke?

I didn't mean anything bad by the name Luke, I'd just never heard of someone naming their kid Luke after Luke Skywalker.
Hayden

Postby 22/7 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

That's it. I'm going to go get some random woman pregnant so that I can name our firstborn Luke just to prove you wrong.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby Jebobek » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Well it would sure as hell be better than Willard, kids would be teasing him as "Willard the Bastard"
Jebobek

Postby Monika » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

What do you think about naming a child for someone in the family? It's pretty common, but I think it's a bad idea. Especially father and son having the same name, but even only cousins ... it causes so much confusion. I will be careful not to reuse a name that any of my cousins' children has. For some this is easy, because their kids got names like Bené and Miro, but others have names like Lukas, Fabian and Patrik.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Monika

Postby Jebobek » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

Its not too bad if the name is modified/moved around. Mary is handed down from one girl to the next on my mother's side of the family, but it is not always the first name or in the same form. My sister is Mary, middle name Rita; my mom's middle, seldom-used name is Mary; her mom's first name is Mary; her mom's first name is Mary Rita...

So I'll call my sister Mary but from older relatives she gets MaryRita. I'm sure if she ever has a girl Mary will get thrown in there somewhere. I vote on Mary Francis. In any case there is no confusion as of yet.
Jebobek

Postby nsmjohn » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

My nephew is Daimiyon or something to that effect. It is just a messed up spelling of Damien. Niece 1 is Sevannah, niece 2 is Sailor, niece 3 is Kayleena (may have spelled 1 and 3 wrong).

My name is *shock* John. I am thinking of naming a son, if I ever have one, Eoin (pronounced similar to Owen) which is just the Gaelic form.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

nsmjohn

Postby Hayden » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:46 am UTC

Jebobek wrote:Its not too bad if the name is modified/moved around. Mary is handed down from one girl to the next on my mother's side of the family, but it is not always the first name or in the same form. My sister is Mary, middle name Rita; my mom's middle, seldom-used name is Mary; her mom's first name is Mary; her mom's first name is Mary Rita...

So I'll call my sister Mary but from older relatives she gets MaryRita. I'm sure if she ever has a girl Mary will get thrown in there somewhere. I vote on Mary Francis. In any case there is no confusion as of yet.

My grandmother's forenames are Mary Kathryn Rita. Her mother was named Gussie. Gotta have some variation.
Hayden

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:09 am UTC

nsmjohn wrote:My name is *shock* John. I am thinking of naming a son, if I ever have one, Eoin (pronounced similar to Owen) which is just the Gaelic form.

Eoghan is another Gaelic form of Owen (wow, the X factor taught me something :oops: )
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby 22/7 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:31 pm UTC

Monika wrote:What do you think about naming a child for someone in the family? It's pretty common, but I think it's a bad idea. Especially father and son having the same name, but even only cousins ... it causes so much confusion. I will be careful not to reuse a name that any of my cousins' children has. For some this is easy, because their kids got names like Bené and Miro, but others have names like Lukas, Fabian and Patrik.
Wait, you consider Fabian to be a common name? Where are you? Also, I think having "family names" are just fine. My first son (making an assumption, I suppose) will have Paul for a middle name.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
22/7

Postby Rilian » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:42 pm UTC

I have and will. I'm going to name my child Christ. With a SHORT i.

I heard about someone named Le-a. And his mother said, "The dash ain't be silent. It's Ledasha."
And I'm -2.
Rilian

Postby 22/7 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

Rilian wrote:I have and will. I'm going to name my child Christ. With a SHORT i.
I thought this was the "think before naming your child" thread...
Rilian wrote:I heard about someone named Le-a. And his mother said, "The dash ain't be silent. It's Ledasha."
And you win the thread.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
22/7

Postby nsmjohn » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
nsmjohn wrote:My name is *shock* John. I am thinking of naming a son, if I ever have one, Eoin (pronounced similar to Owen) which is just the Gaelic form.

Eoghan is another Gaelic form of Owen (wow, the X factor taught me something :oops: )

Oops, that was my bad. Eoin is the Gaelic form of John, not Owen.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

nsmjohn

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:30 pm UTC

*I sigh* I really need to learn Gaelic, hopefully then these spellings will start making sense :s
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Cynical Idealist » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:07 am UTC

Rilian wrote:I heard about someone named Le-a. And his mother said, "The dash ain't be silent. It's Ledasha."

That's...competing for the idiot name award with "Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K". I'm impressed, I don't think I've ever seen anything that compares before.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.
Cynical Idealist

Postby phlip » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:16 am UTC

The best part of the "Le-a" story is the word "his"... If "Ledasha" was a real name, it'd sound female to me... inflicting that name on a boy would be a bad idea, even before the crazy-stupid spelling.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?
phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby Rilian » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:21 am UTC

Ledasha doesn't sound gendered to me. What makes it sound like a girl's name to you?
And I'm -2.
Rilian

Postby Vanguard » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:27 am UTC

I hate names that try to be clever like "Serenity" (actual classmate a year ago) and "Faith" (classmate and major TV character). They sound pretty in theory but it's just... Ugh. *cringe*
Vanguard

Postby Rilian » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:32 am UTC

Faith is a common name. My mom's oldest sibling is named Faith.

My mom said people used to ask her family, "Where's Charity?" Because they have kids in the family named Faith, Joy, Hope. Maybe Grace factors in somehow. I don't get the joke, but maybe someone else will.
And I'm -2.
Rilian

Postby phlip » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:36 am UTC

Rilian wrote:Ledasha doesn't sound gendered to me. What makes it sound like a girl's name to you?

I'm probably associating it with "Natasha" and the like, since they rhyme...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?
phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby anouk » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:45 am UTC

I like unusual names, however, if I have kids I don't think I could bring myself to name them after a virtue or emotion.

Haha, that reminds me of a comedians' routine, it may have been Will Anderson;
'My name's Candy... and I've got diabetes'.
Someone say something funny please, I need a new signature.
anouk

Postby folkhero » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:02 am UTC

Vanguard wrote:I hate names that try to be clever like "Serenity" (actual classmate a year ago) and "Faith" (classmate and major TV character). They sound pretty in theory but it's just... Ugh. *cringe*

I think it depends a lot on the specific name, Serenity is cringe worthy, Faith is OK, Grace is a very pretty name. Obviously this is all very subjective, so your mileage may vary.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...
folkhero

Postby anouk » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:13 am UTC

folkhero wrote:
Vanguard wrote:I hate names that try to be clever like "Serenity" (actual classmate a year ago) and "Faith" (classmate and major TV character). They sound pretty in theory but it's just... Ugh. *cringe*

I think it depends a lot on the specific name, Serenity is cringe worthy, Faith is OK, Grace is a very pretty name. Obviously this is all very subjective, so your mileage may vary.

Personally I find that the word grace has a lot of meaning behind it, what if your kid turned out to be really clumsy etc. Although you can type it with one hand. :lol:
Someone say something funny please, I need a new signature.
anouk

Postby markfiend » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:19 pm UTC

Rilian wrote:Faith is a common name. My mom's oldest sibling is named Faith.

My mom said people used to ask her family, "Where's Charity?" Because they have kids in the family named Faith, Joy, Hope. Maybe Grace factors in somehow. I don't get the joke, but maybe someone else will.

1 Corinthians ch13 v13: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... &version=9
Five tons of flax
markfiend

Postby 22/7 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:33 pm UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:
That's...competing for the idiot name award with "Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K". I'm impressed, I don't think I've ever seen anything that compares before.
Wow. We might have to go to the instant replay for that one.
Rilian wrote:Faith is a common name. My mom's oldest sibling is named Faith.

Charity has got to be the worst name you could give your child.

"It's not that we didn't want you..."

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
22/7

Postby JJarad » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

You know, sometimes initials are better than names. For instance i know a person by the last name of Ot. His older cooler brother's first name begins with an H. his name begins with an N

H,OT and N,OT

yes we make jokes about him
JJarad

Postby Monika » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:15 am UTC

22/7 wrote:
Monika wrote:What do you think about naming a child for someone in the family? It's pretty common, but I think it's a bad idea. Especially father and son having the same name, but even only cousins ... it causes so much confusion. I will be careful not to reuse a name that any of my cousins' children has. For some this is easy, because their kids got names like Bené and Miro, but others have names like Lukas, Fabian and Patrik.
Wait, you consider Fabian to be a common name? Where are you? Also, I think having "family names" are just fine. My first son (making an assumption, I suppose) will have Paul for a middle name.

Germany. In 2007, Fabian was on place 26 on the list of most used baby boy names: http://www.beliebte-vornamen.de/2007.htm .

Patrik is actually unusual in its spelling, typically it's spelled Patrick. But this cousin of mine lives in Switzerland, maybe Patrik is the more common spelling there.

And then I have a cousin spelled Filip instead of Philipp ... Polish influence, but still. They just wanted to start it with F like the father and older brother.
Monika

Postby jbn » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:55 pm UTC

Patrik is the common spelling in Sweden too. I'd imagine it's the common spelling in languages somewhat close to german. Just guessing.
Don't question that, it's a rhetoric answer.
Crai, a cyberpunk project
My assorted artwork at deviantart
jbn

Postby Jebobek » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

My brother's name is Chris, my sister is Mary. If I was a girl my mom could have named me Missy.

Then when she called for us she could yell: Merry Christmas! (Mary Chris Miss)
Jebobek

Postby 22/7 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:31 pm UTC

She could have still named you missy.

Were I of the female persuasion when born, I would have been named Elizabeth Louise.

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
22/7

Postby joeframbach » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:My brother's name is Chris, my sister is Mary. If I was a girl my mom could have named me Missy.

Then when she called for us she could yell: Merry Christmas! (Mary Chris Miss)

This must be a case of "thinking too much before naming your child(ren)."
xxv/♂/♫
joeframbach

Postby gibberishtwist » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

I decided many many years ago that if I ever had a daughter, she would be named Lillian. In the past two years or so though, I've gotten somewhat attached the name Valentine (Because of Ender's Game, not Cowboy Bebop). As for boy names, I've had much more difficulty. I fear that any boy I have will be named something so strange/archaic/awesome that he won't even know what to do with it. Like Malachai. Or, as mentioned earlier, Thor. The only "normal" boy names that appeal to me, for some reason, V names and Russian/Slavic names: Victor, Vincent, Vladmir, Nikolai, Demetri, Ani, etc. I think my Italian mother will weep when and if I ever name my boy-child.
"We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us."Image
gibberishtwist

Postby Grop » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

Gibberishtwist, how about Nicola or Vincenzo? I don't think Italian mothers weep too much on these ones.
Therian Saga nick: Chance
Grop

Postby Monika » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

gibberishtwist wrote:I decided many many years ago that if I ever had a daughter, she would be named Lillian. In the past two years or so though, I've gotten somewhat attached the name Valentine (Because of Ender's Game, not Cowboy Bebop). As for boy names, I've had much more difficulty.

Valentine is a boy's name.
Monika

Postby 22/7 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

That kind of thing doesn't matter anymore...

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!
22/7

Postby Rilian » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
gibberishtwist wrote:I decided many many years ago that if I ever had a daughter, she would be named Lillian. In the past two years or so though, I've gotten somewhat attached the name Valentine (Because of Ender's Game, not Cowboy Bebop). As for boy names, I've had much more difficulty.

Valentine is a boy's name.

How's it pronounced? Because I thought it was either a last name, or a cutesie name for a girl.
And I'm -2.
Rilian

PreviousNext

Return to Language/Linguistics