One space or two?

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

How many times to you press the spacebar after a period between sentences?

Once
66%
Twice
30%
Three Times a Lady
3%

Total votes: 187

sje46

Re: One space or two?

Postby sje46 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:09 am UTC

a Person wrote:
sje46 wrote:a person . . .from Assetbar?

What?

That would be a no. Move along now and never come back.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:
a Person wrote:What?

That would be a no. Move along now and never come back.

"What?" is not a yes/no question.
And I'm -2.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:12 pm UTC

True, but it does indicate in this case that the answer to the previous question was a no, which is all sje was saying.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:03 pm UTC

Assetbar is like . .a thing, fanflow. For webcomics, you pay and you get extra content. Achewood has it, but it also has a free section for Assetbar, which is really huge and has about 1000 comments per strip, and is like it's own community. "aperson" (without the space) is a regular poster. Also, I saw another person with the same exact name in another place.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

year in the sun

Postby year in the sun » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:58 am UTC

i do two spaces. i was taught that way and it pleased me a lot. i liked how you separate words in the same sentence with one space, and then for sentences you give it two because it's a different order of separation. one space = distinguish words. two spaces = distinguish thoughts. and i like how you can slide your eye down the text and block it out into sentences for yourself if you like. not that i've ever done that, but i like it that you could if you wanted to.

not arguing for or against, and don't care what other people do. just explaining why you'd have to threaten something pretty major like my kneecaps or my job before i'd bend the knee and use only one, myself.
man susan,
die meeste mense is maar lekker zef

- valiant swart, lekker zef

Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby Bobber » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:50 am UTC

To all two-spacers: do you also type with two spaces on these fora, even though you know that all browsers (save for a few obscure ones) remove the extra space anyway? It seems as if it would make you type slower, and that removing such an obstacle as an extra forced space after extra single sentence would only be a good thing.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.

year in the sun

Postby year in the sun » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:20 am UTC

Bobber wrote:To all two-spacers: do you also type with two spaces on these fora, even though you know that all browsers (save for a few obscure ones) remove the extra space anyway?

yup. it's what's inside my head that counts :D more seriously, it's an integral part of composing my statements.
man susan,
die meeste mense is maar lekker zef

- valiant swart, lekker zef

insom

Postby insom » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:26 am UTC

I use one space, as I've always done. I've recently started typing my documents in LaTeX, and it seems to not add any extra spacing after periods, automatically at least.
Remember if you use more than one space this might happen.
...yeah, I'll leave now...
Normal cynics think they are realists. Hardcore cynics know they are optimists.
Woo I draw stuff - how incredibly awesome

Simbera

Postby Simbera » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:01 pm UTC

Yes, mostly through habit. It doesn't seem like it's ending a sentence unless I do it, and it therefore sort of helps me organise my thoughts into sentences more easily.

<^>
“From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.” – Edvard Munch

Rilian

Postby Rilian » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

I hate them for removing my correctly placed second space. I hate them for making my posts typed wrong.
And I'm -2.

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:10 pm UTC

The way I see it, double spacing is simply an artefact of the printing press and typewriter's inability to have correctly spaced letters/sentences.

Now that technology has caught up with (and exceeded) the written word, double spacing seems unnecessary. They were only put in there to more clearly separate sentences correct?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:21 pm UTC

Yes, and QWERTY was only used to prevent typewriters from jamming. But there are a lot of historically contingent phenomena that remain in language, and double spacing is just another one of them.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

I still automatically doublespace even if it's edited out by the forum. It doesn't particularly bother me that it's edited, the doublespace is itself a habit that I don't bother to change.
Rice Puddin.

gidklio

Postby gidklio » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:40 am UTC

Bobber wrote:To all two-spacers: do you also type with two spaces on these fora, even though you know that all browsers (save for a few obscure ones) remove the extra space anyway? It seems as if it would make you type slower, and that removing such an obstacle as an extra forced space after extra single sentence would only be a good thing.

The speed lost using two spaces is negligible and would not be worth the time to change to single-spacing.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”