This Thread Is EPIC!

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

krazykate

This Thread Is EPIC!

Postby krazykate » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

Seriously, I'm sick of hearing the word used for every situation. Please tell me there's something I (or we) can do to keep people from overusing it so much.

Re: This Thread Is EPIC!

Postby 6453893 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:16 pm UTC

Welcome to the internet, circa late 2007. You'll be glad to know that after overusing 'epic' and 'fail' (and the cringe-inducing combination thereof) percolated to the mainstream, everybody on the internet promptly got the fuck over it. Just wait it out a few more months.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

6453893 wrote:Welcome to the internet, circa late 2007. You'll be glad to know that after overusing 'epic' and 'fail' (and the cringe-inducing combination thereof) percolated to the mainstream, everybody on the internet promptly got the fuck over it. Just wait it out a few more months.

I don't mind people online. anonymous internet people are dicks anyway. When will people in real life stop? as an indicator of how mainstream it's gotten, I heard 'epic' used on cartalk a week or two ago.

zug

Postby zug » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

I blame the ubiquity of online gaming, and the "epic" quality of gear everyone salivates over.

The word "legendary" will be the next "epic," and we'll all hate it just as much.
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:01 am UTC

Its prevalence is hard on me when I want to use it's dictionary meaning, like describing Welcome to the Black Parade, for instance, or the fight between Zuko/Katara and Azula.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:05 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:Its prevalence is hard on me when I want to use it's dictionary meaning, like describing Welcome to the Black Parade, for instance, or the fight between Zuko/Katara and Azula.

Wait, what? Welcome to the Black Parade spans several albums, or am I missing something?
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Postby 6453893 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:27 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:Its prevalence is hard on me when I want to use it's dictionary meaning, like describing Welcome to the Black Parade, for instance, or the fight between Zuko/Katara and Azula.

First of all, the "misuse" about which you are complaining is one of the dictionary definitions. Second, I think you'll find that neither that My Chemical Romance album nor a flight take the form of a continuous verse poem centered around an extended portion of a hero figure's life.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:21 pm UTC

just for reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_films
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_(story)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_poetry

Lord of the Rings is an epic. Star Wars is an epic.

I think Joeldi's Avatar reference would be okay. I don't watch the show, but google's telling me you're referencing a massive fight between two superpowers. I could see that being of epic proportions.
the song doesn't really apply though. i googled the lyrics and it doesn't look like it could be an epic poem.

here's my definition of epic: massive in scale, including impressive struggles, and incorporate "great scope and size over long periods of time". This is taken from the wikipedia pages. Here's a good example of use in every day life for me:
"When I was ten, New Years Eve was epic for me. I prepared for days, making sure we had enough d music ansoda, candy, and snacks, as well as loud games. While my little brother fell asleep well before 11, my friend and I fought to stay conscious all the way to midnight."

here's most people's definition of epic: awesome. wicked. hilarious.
"this prank we played was epic!"
"epic boobs
"http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/11/26/funny-pictures-epic-sneez-in-32/"

goofy

Postby goofy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:10 pm UTC

Merriam-Webster: extending beyond the usual or ordinary especially in size or scope <his genius was epic - Times Literary Supplement>

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:34 pm UTC

ah, i forgot the dictionary. yeah, people focus too much on the "extending beyond the usual" part, and not enough on the "size and scope" part.

Postby 6453893 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:30 pm UTC

That definition, while currently accepted as a vernacular, did arise from consistent misuse of the primary definition, that is "of, relating to, or characteristic of an epic poem". The noun 'epic' of course derives from the greek 'epos', which refers to a story or poem.

I don't posit that the "extending beyond the usual or ordinary especially in size or scope" is illegitimate, but I want to note that Joeldi is even dead wronger than he was dead wrong before.

goofy

Postby goofy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:48 pm UTC

6453893 wrote:That definition, while currently accepted as a vernacular, did arise from consistent misuse of the primary definition, that is "of, relating to, or characteristic of an epic poem". The noun 'epic' of course derives from the greek 'epos', which refers to a story or poem.

etymological fallacy.

Postby 6453893 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:09 am UTC

goofy wrote:
6453893 wrote:That definition, while currently accepted as a vernacular, did arise from consistent misuse of the primary definition, that is "of, relating to, or characteristic of an epic poem". The noun 'epic' of course derives from the greek 'epos', which refers to a story or poem.

etymological fallacy.

Yeah I skipped a few steps because the entry I have here is like two paragraphs long.

goofy

Postby goofy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:17 pm UTC

6453893 wrote:
goofy wrote:

etymological fallacy.

Yeah I skipped a few steps because the entry I have here is like two paragraphs long.

It's still the etymological fallacy to say that the primary meaning of a word is determined by its history. Maybe that's not what you were saying, but it's what it looked like.

Postby 6453893 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:06 am UTC

That's why I said
I don't posit that the "extending beyond the usual or ordinary especially in size or scope" is illegitimate

What I meant was I acknowledge the misuse of the original definition had become standard. Obviously meanings evolve over time. But while both are right definitions, I still feel the original definition is "righter". Not a statement of fact, just how I feel.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:19 am UTC

And there is still the fact that Joeldi failed humorously.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Zelda007

Postby Zelda007 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:24 am UTC

I hope this doesn't piss anyone off.

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:58 pm UTC

I did a desperate search for an iconic game changer, but this cube-monkey only increased his carbon footprint. Epic? Not so much. Now, more than ever, from Wall Street to Main Street, "organic" is the "awesome" of a new generation. Be a maverick. Go with "radical" instead, dude. So retro.

Words... they get overused, and diluted sometimes. *shrug*
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

Ventanator

Postby Ventanator » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:39 pm UTC

Yeah, the word is (kinda) being used correctly. That sneeze was epic! That sneeze was of massive size...yeah, not really right, but close enough that I accept it.
It is over used...a friend just told me 'I'm looking at pictures of us...they're epic". I agree with Velifer, let's start using the word radical. We can make the world change, one word at a time.

TheGuyWithTheHat

Postby TheGuyWithTheHat » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:44 pm UTC

I only know one person who over uses that word in real life, and he only does it when referring to things from the interwebs anyway.

As for people using it too much online, it's just something I've accepted as a meme like rickrolling and lolcats.
If English teachers teach English and Maths teachers teach Maths, then Head Teachers must teach...
Live in the UK? You must click here!

velocipirate wrote:but the question is, which cheese would a velociraptor choose?

alitheiapsis

Postby alitheiapsis » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:18 am UTC

I once tried to describe the events of one of Shakespeare's sonnets as occurring "on an epic timescale" (it was Sonnet 55, for reference) during English class. The class burst out in giggles. hmph. My teacher had to assure me (and the class) that I was using it correctly before it died down.

I usually use words like "epic" and "legit" in an ironic sense (or so I tell myself), and I can overlook most "incorrect" uses of those words, as long as people keep in mind their true meaning. We have plenty of words that mean what epic supposedly means; few, if any, can express the subtleties of the true definition of the word. blahblah, language evolves, blahblah. But it feels like there's a hole in my vocabulary where a word used to be. And that's not cool.

Knightshire

Postby Knightshire » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:58 pm UTC

alitheiapsis wrote:I usually use words like "epic" and "legit" in an ironic sense (or so I tell myself)

That's another word used way too many times: Ironic. As in sentences like "isn't it ironic?". Most of the time it isn't, in fact, ironic.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

Knightshire wrote:Most of the time it isn't, in fact, ironic.

Which is rather ironic, don't you think?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

alitheiapsis

Postby alitheiapsis » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:15 am UTC

Knightshire wrote:
alitheiapsis wrote:I usually use words like "epic" and "legit" in an ironic sense (or so I tell myself)

That's another word used way too many times: Ironic. As in sentences like "isn't it ironic?". Most of the time it isn't, in fact, ironic.

That is very true. Perhaps I should change that to "mocking" or "sarcastic".

EDIT: On thinking about it a bit, I remember my English teacher's definition for irony: "things are not as they should be". I always struggle to describe a situation, and irony seems to be the only appropriate word (it happened just now), but having a simple definition at hand should help matters. Not to derail the "epic" thread, but what should one use to replace "ironic" in its incorrect usages?

Dr. Willpower

Postby Dr. Willpower » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:58 pm UTC

I think any description is better if it actually describes what it means to describe. Whereas, to call something irony which is not irony seems wrong.
Hat me, bro

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:19 pm UTC

Dr. Willpower wrote:I think any description is better if it actually describes what it means to describe.

You say that as though a description has some intent to describe that's magically independent of what the speaker means when using it. If the speaker can be reasonably sure that *most* people hearing the adjective "epic" will know what he or she means, even though it doesn't literally pertain to an epic poem, then it does describe what it means to describe.
---

(he/him/his)

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:02 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Knightshire wrote:Most of the time it isn't, in fact, ironic.

Which is rather ironic, don't you think?

Like nuptial pluviation.

Dr. Willpower

Postby Dr. Willpower » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Dr. Willpower wrote:I think any description is better if it actually describes what it means to describe.

You say that as though a description has some intent to describe that's magically independent of what the speaker means when using it. If the speaker can be reasonably sure that *most* people hearing the adjective "epic" will know what he or she means, even though it doesn't literally pertain to an epic poem, then it does describe what it means to describe.

I am more referring to the whole description including the person describing the thing and its context because they are all factors in a description. For instance if I called a solid steel cube melty I would be pressed to have any correct meaning without context. And if I called my cube strong and solid, but it was contextually located in the atmosphere of the sun (and therefore melted) my description would be pressed to have correct meaning at all.

Both factors have to agree for a description to describe something correctly; the meaning of a word (literally or in the minds of the listeners), and its use in context.

Postby 6453893 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

Dr. Willpower wrote:I am more referring to the whole description including the person describing the thing and its context because they are all factors in a description. For instance if I called a solid steel cube melty I would be pressed to have any correct meaning without context. And if I called my cube strong and solid, but it was contextually located in the atmosphere of the sun (and therefore melted) my description would be pressed to have correct meaning at all.

That was perhaps the least relevant paragraph ever. Ever. If I say that lunch was epic, using epic to mean X, and everyone present interprets it as X, how is the definition not X?

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:38 am UTC

6453893 wrote:If I say that lunch was epic, using epic to mean X, and everyone present interprets it as X, how is the definition not X?

A little off-topic, I know, but I'm mentally picturing a 72 course feast that is served over the course of sixteen hours, which would be fairly fucking epic.

But, yes, if you'd just eaten a ham and cheese sandwhich accompanied by a fruit box, and refered to it as epic, I'd know how you meant it.

Language: it works!Even if we don't always approve of the way it works.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Postby 6453893 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:23 pm UTC

You mean like president François Mitterrand's last meal? The banquet lasted for lasted for days, and finished with the serving of Ortolan, a bird considered such a beautiful and sinful delicacy that even nobleman wore veils to hide their shame from God as they ate it. Mitterrand wanted the Ortolan to be the last thing his lips ever touched, so he didn't eat for the remaining eight days of his life.

If ever there were an epic meal, I would nominate that one.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”