need help finding a website i found once

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

a386

need help finding a website i found once

Postby a386 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:15 am UTC

ok i think this would be the place to ask this. Once Upon A Time, i found this little ol' website where there would be like a description of a phenomenon, and then an open call for submissions to invent a word for that phenomenon. then, each word would be voted up or down by the community. the current winner would be displayed on top, etc. there was one for general things and another one just for making up words having to do with politics. it was pretty great! I can no longer find it sadly though and so i ask you all to rally around me! go internet go

Josephine

Re: need help finding a website i found once

Postby Josephine » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:08 pm UTC

That website is pretty boring. It's basically a shitload of portmanteaus.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

a386

Postby a386 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:56 am UTC

you got it! that was a very slight variation on the few google terms i tried: that's exactly what i came here for was just to get other people's tiny perspective differences into the search and see if they made it turn up.

napoleon: i quite like portmanteaux thankyouverymuch. also i know it gets sort of formulaic but it's a neat concept i think

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:22 am UTC

Now, what I think would be fun is a program that makes a portmanteau, and you have to come up with a definition. Argh. I wish English had a set syllable rule. That would be a huge pain to make manually.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

ftarp

Postby ftarp » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:19 pm UTC

It does.
(s) + (C) + (r, l, w, y) + (V) + V + (C) + (C) + (C)

Of course, there are other rules, which is why, say, skluomtp is not a word.

burtonlang

Postby burtonlang » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:56 am UTC

Well, quoting from a recent CONLANG-L post:
Somebody from CONLANG wrote:English is maybe (s)(C)([lrw(j)])V([IU(@)])(C)(C)(C)(C) (breaking diphthongs into their components, and where I could restrict the final Cs some too if I thought about it)
    Anything there that's not a 'C' or 'V' is in X-SAMPA.
I suppose this is essentially the same as what you said, ftarp, but it does give a bit more restriction on the vowels, and there's an extra 'C' at the end (I guess "sixths" [sɪksθs] might be an example).

I don't really want to take the time to figure anything specific right now (though I might do it eventually), but I'd assume that the coda-rules could mostly be figured out from the sonority hierarchy (according to Wikipedia, English's sonority scale is "[[p t k] [b d g] [f θ] [v ð z] [s] [m n] [l] [r] [i u] [e o] [a]]", and that's probably about right, but a quick look will show that it's not a perfect list (e.g. [r] instead of [ɹ], monophthongs instead of diphthongs for [e] and [o], only five vowels)).

Also, I'm thinking the database/dictionary/word-list that the program would use for portmanteau-ization might have to say something about the stress of the words, for determining how words would best be combined, but I might be way off.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”