A little rant (math vs. maths)

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: A little rant (math vs. maths)

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

Ah, but that's because "stats" is most often a shortening of the plural sense of "statistics", as in more than one statistic.

Edit: oh hey, I guess I should read to the end of the page in the future.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

DanD

Postby DanD » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

I'm speculating, wildly, that in Europe the reasoning is something like "It goes one thousand, ten thousand, one-hundred thousand, million. Therefore, it should go million, ten million, one hundred million, one thousand million, ten thousand million, one hundred thousand million, billion, because counters can be stacked as long as the same two counters aren't used. By stacked meaning that ten can be stacked on thousand to make ten one thousands."

The problem with that argument is that trillions should then be 10^24th, since you would have to continue stacking counters.

I won't go into the math/maths debate much, but on the whole "who got there first" thing, tire is attested before tyre, and the word may derive from "attire", or possibly the French "tirer", to pull or to draw (as in metal rims), either of which would favor the American spelling.

Also, the guy who discovered the stuff preferred aluminum (despite being a Brit), unless you actually want to revert to alumium.

gregladen

Postby gregladen » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:45 pm UTC

I suggest a compromise that I don't think has been suggested (apologies if so).

Maths. Rhymes with bath, the "s" is silent.

Now, we can have a conversation about how to pronounce "bath"!!!

Return to “Language/Linguistics”