Local Colloquialisms

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: Local Colloquialisms

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:32 pm UTC

RabbitWho wrote:"What, us sat in the car?" Instead of "What, us sitting in the car?" and that was interesting. Certainly an English thing?
Sounds like "sit" is being interpreted transitively, so like someone else sat us down in the car. If you replace it with other, more conventional transitive verbs, it doesn't sound wrong to me: "What's great? Us driven around in a car?"

And recently my mom said (about grass) "When we went away there was a lot grew"
When I ran to get a pen and write it down she realized something must be odd and tried to correct it by saying "When we were gone away there was a lot grew."
At first, this just sounds like an elided "that", but her change is more difficult to explain.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:but her change is more difficult to explain.

Not surprising considering it was a contrived statement.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Slavaa
Location: A certain Island, named after a certain Prince Edward

Postby Slavaa » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:48 pm UTC

In the eastern Canadian province of Prince Edward Island...

The term "Out West" can mean either Alberta or the eastern tip of the island.
A "Corker" is a really hot day. Sometimes "A corker of a day"
"Boomer" is the weatherman. Not a weatherman, the weatherman. It's not really a colloquialism, but he's locally famous and gets an honourable mention. He probably coined local use of the word "corker".
In most of eastern Canada, the word "slippy" is frequently used instead of "slippery".

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:20 pm UTC

RabbitWho wrote:Do you ever say "I amn't" instead of "I'm not"? I'd like to know how common that is.

How is that one pronounced?
lol everything matters
-Ed

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:41 am UTC

We have colloquialisms, but in a different language. Geh, Even this topic is local.

mxyzptlk

Postby mxyzptlk » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun May 29, 2016 8:01 pm UTC

I'm usually pretty well versed in British usage, but one Britticism that's only recently come to my attention is "anything/nothing like as [adj.]". I noticed it while watching movie reviews by Mark Kermode, who will often say that "Movie X is nothing like as good as Movie Y", or "Movie Z isn't anything like as scary as it should be". And since then I've noticed it from other Brits as well. My usage would be to say "(not) nearly as [adj.]".
Last edited by Lazar on Sun May 29, 2016 8:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Exit the vampires' castle.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sun May 29, 2016 8:03 pm UTC

"Nothing like" is familiar to me, but I'd be more likely to use "nowhere near" myself.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)
----
NiteSciFi, sci-fi forum that needs more members

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun May 29, 2016 9:11 pm UTC

In American English, "nowhere near as" and "not nearly as" are together about 35x as common as "nothing like as" and "anything like as.

In British English, the ratio is more like 4:1.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Tue May 31, 2016 2:07 pm UTC

Other observation: it seems to me that the domain of "because" has expanded so that it can be used not only in answer to "why" questions, but also in answer to "how" questions for which the more prescriptively correct response would be "in that". For example, if somebody asks me "How is that interesting?", I'll reply "It's interesting because…". In cases like this, "in that" just seems too stilted for conversational use.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue May 31, 2016 2:44 pm UTC

I would have guessed that the etymology of "because" was a shortening of a version of "the cause being", and it turns out it's form "by cause". Which makes a perfect fit for how questions.

My impression (as in, I don't have citations) on the classical response to a "why" question is "For ..." i.e.
Q: Why do they work?
A: For money.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue May 31, 2016 11:30 pm UTC

That answers questions about purpose, but many "why" questions aren't asking about the purpose of anything.
---

(he/him/his)

Return to “Language/Linguistics”