Combining Idioms. Portmanteau style

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Vaskafdt

Combining Idioms. Portmanteau style

Postby Vaskafdt » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:49 pm UTC

Greetings.

a small question i thought I'd ask here

Portmanteau: A blend of two (or more) words or morphemes and their meanings into one new word.

I would like to know if there is a word for a blend of two (or more) idioms or common phrases and their meanings into one new idiom.

example:
I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. - something that you say in order to tell someone that you will not worry about a possible problem but will deal with it if it happens
burn bridges: - to cutoff the way back to where you came from, making it impossible to retreat.
Blends into:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it. - meaning I will make this problem completely unsolvable once it arises. (or something like that)

hope there is a word for that.

thanks
My Art Blog: (Slightly NSFW)

unlofl

Re: Combining Idioms. Portmanteau style

Postby unlofl » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:11 am UTC

I know I've heard "I'll burn that bridge when I come to it" before and love it. I suppose we could create a portmanteau? a "portmantidiom"?

Even if you don't have much, a sure thing may be better than taking a risk: "A drop in the bucket is worth two in the bush"
To summarize, while loosing all comprehensible meaning: "To make a long story all greek to me"

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:38 am UTC

Mixed metaphor?
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:05 am UTC

Portmidiom. If it wasn’t before, it is now.

You have to start somewhere, and you’ll be better off paying attention to why other people do what they do: “The journey of a thousand miles begins with someone else’s shoes.”
wee free kings

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:14 am UTC

How many roads must a man walk down before he takes the road less traveled by?

I believe mixed metaphors is the proper term for this. It's fun!
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:31 am UTC

Orwell wrote a piece about the problems of mixing and metaphores, and a lot more http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/orwell46.htm

His famous example was The fascist octopus has sung its swansong

unlofl

Postby unlofl » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

I still think the word "Portmidiom" has a place.

"If we can hit that bullseye then the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards... Checkmate."
-- Zapp Brannigan

This combines several idioms ("hit the bullseye", "the rest of the dominoes", "fall like a house of cards", "Checkmate" outside the context of chess), and it successfully combines the meaning of the idioms into a new meaning. It combines the images of "strike", "chain reaction", "collapse", and "win" for an amusingly vague image of a single precise blow triggering a chain of events and mass destruction. It is a portmidiom. However, a mixed metaphor does not have to use idioms, in which case it cannot be a portmidiom. This would be your average, bad mixed metaphor.

Milking the temp workers for all they were worth, the manager barked orders at them.
(taken from: http://www.infoplease.com/cig/grammar-s ... short.html)

Which is just ugly, and doesn't combine the ideas at all. And still other portmidioms lack any of the comic value I like to associate with the category.

Unless we tighten our belts, we'll sink like a stone.
(also taken from: http://www.infoplease.com/cig/grammar-s ... short.html)

It seems to work; two idioms, combined to create a new meaning makes it a portmidiom ("we have to spend less or we will go bankrupt".) But I wouldn't call it a terribly good one, it just isn't amusing.

There is still the other issue of whether idioms and mixed metaphors are in fact overlapping categories. While a metaphor uses imagery to convey a meaning, idioms may be defined as phrases violating the principle of compositionality, where the literal meaning of the words doesn't even abstractly relate to their understood meaning. This type of idiom must be learned like an individual word, having its own unique meaning. Many accepted idioms do in fact contain some bit of metaphor, such as "hit the road" or "pound the pavement" which could be associated with walking. Orwell would agree with a more general definition of idiom, pointing out that through mindless repetition of certain cliches, writers are "perverting the original phrase" and gradually changing its meaning over time; doesn't "hit the road" make you think of getting in a car? Was it originally associated with walking? What was once a good metaphor can become overused, confused, and gradually have its meaning displaced with a new one, completely unrelated to the original words.

At the present time I will admit that I do concur with Orwell, it seems highly probable that currently observed trends in increased usage of electronic communication will cast a dark shaddow over any hopes for a greater number of popular, creative implementations that follow what is widely regarded by experts to be a precise and demonstrably useful implementation of the English language.

goofy

Postby goofy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:51 pm UTC

unlofl wrote:IAt the present time I will admit that I do concur with Orwell, it seems highly probable that currently observed trends in increased usage of electronic communication will cast a dark shaddow over any hopes for a greater number of popular, creative implementations that follow what is widely regarded by experts to be a precise and demonstrably useful implementation of the English language.

Which experts? Expert David Crystal argues the opposite.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:00 pm UTC

I think these are great, although I think "idmanteau" flows off the wet sprocket more easily than "portmidiom."

Vaskafdt

Postby Vaskafdt » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

yea. those are great.. and i guess mixed metaphor is the right term.. a shame there isn't some obscure portmanteau for it :(.

as much fun as shooting monkeys in a barrel
My Art Blog: (Slightly NSFW)

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:11 am UTC

unlofl wrote:
"If we can hit that bullseye then the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards... Checkmate."
-- Zapp Brannigan

And his more recent:
Brannigan wrote:We fought like hell, sir, but in the end, we caved like a house of soufflé cards.

When you're arguing with someone (probably over the internet) and you have to leave because of all the logical fallacies you interlocutor is making: "That's the last strawman."

When advising a politician to start using language that has a hidden meaning for their political base: "Cry havoc and let slip the dog whistle politics."
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:I think these are great, although I think "idmanteau" flows off the wet sprocket more easily than "portmidiom."

You rang?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:22 am UTC

Yes, I'd like you to say both and tell us which you prefer.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:10 am UTC

Just wanted to say how much I like the saying, *burn that bridge when I come to it" so much. I have gone back in time to use it.

Rules for "Individual XKCD Comic Threads" -> "Atheists" discussion (#774)-> first page half way down.
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:47 am UTC

I recently heard, "Does the Pope shit in the woods?"

Keand64

Postby Keand64 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:17 am UTC

krogoth wrote:Just wanted to say how much I like the saying, *burn that bridge when I come to it" so much. I have gone back in time to use it.

Rules for "Individual XKCD Comic Threads" -> "Atheists" discussion (#774)-> first page half way down.

I concur completely... at least, I love 'I'll burn that bridge when I come to to"...notsomuch on the rest of your say.
CorruptUser wrote:That's how the robots will takeover. Sentient spambots.

In the future, man will be required by law to enlarge his penis and use vicodin, and on occasion, donate $5000 to a Nigerian.

Sir Novelty Fashion

Postby Sir Novelty Fashion » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:33 pm UTC

Don't teach your grandmother to count eggs?
The art of advertisement, after the American manner, has introduced into all our life such a lavish use of superlatives, that no standard of value whatever is intact.

Dean36

Postby Dean36 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:54 am UTC

I realise this is an old thread, but someone linked from elsewhere in a discussion about the same subject so I thought I'd pop the answer in here as well; The word is 'Dundrearyism' after the character Lord Dundreary from the play Our American Cousin, who employed them. Such as 'birds of a feather gather no moss'. The seventh Doctor from Doctor Who used them in his earlier stories too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Dundreary

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:25 pm UTC

Combined idioms? Are you winding my leg up?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Dean36

Postby Dean36 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:08 am UTC

There's also the more recent word 'Malaphor' also means the same thing, apparently coined in 1976, but looks like it's only become popular in the last ten years or so. https://malaphors.com/about/

MWak

Postby MWak » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:21 pm UTC

Vaskafdt wrote:yea. those are great.. and i guess mixed metaphor is the right term.. a shame there isn't some obscure portmanteau for it :(.

as much fun as shooting monkeys in a barrel

I'd go with: As much fun as shooting fish in a barrel full of monkeys... don't miss

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:22 am UTC

Vaskafdt wrote:I would like to know if there is a word for a blend of two (or more) idioms or common phrases and their meanings into one new idiom.

Aubreyism?
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:50 am UTC

Coincidentally, someone's set up a website to generate this sort of thing, and it's hilarious: The Idiomatic.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:58 am UTC

I've used both "Burn that bridge when I get to it" and "Is a bear Catholic?/Does the Pope poop in the woods?", although I don't think anyone noticed when I did. There was also a sketch in a school drama night I was in that used the line "Let's make like a tree and blow this popsicle stand", which to this day I love. I like both idmanteau and the broader malaphor as words to describe the phenomenon. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go see a man about a dog with two tails.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:11 pm UTC

ConMan wrote: Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go see a man about a dog with two tails.

And bark yourself?
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:26 pm UTC

Bloopy wrote:Coincidentally, someone's set up a website to generate this sort of thing, and it's hilarious: The Idiomatic.

"Clothes make Jack a dull boy."

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:24 am UTC

This thread has made my day. I'm just going to sit here giggling quietly to myself.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”