What is your favorite/least favorite grammatical mood?

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

scratch123

What is your favorite/least favorite grammatical mood?

Postby scratch123 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:35 pm UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Grammatical_moods

My favorite one on the list is epistemic modality and my least favorite is assumptive mood.

manictheatrefan

Re: What is your favorite/least favorite grammatical mood?

Postby manictheatrefan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:01 pm UTC

Favorites: Volitive modality and speculative mood.
Least favorite: Interrogative mood.

Aiwendil42

Postby Aiwendil42 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:32 am UTC

The imperative is both my favourite and least favourite: favourite when used by me, least favourite when used to address me.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:17 am UTC

I dislike that moods specific to certain languages that encompass a number of functions get terms that are then generalized to language universals. I once said Japanese has a speculative mood and gave some examples of how it's used and the response I got was, "So it's like the subjunctive?" There's no good answer to that question. The term subjunctive is a blanket term applied to several different languages each of which use it for a number of functions, so I'd need to know which language's subjunctive they're referring to and which functions of that subjunctive they mean. Even then, I could probably only say it works the same in some ways and not in others.

The genitive case is kind of similar to this, although it gets a pass since it appears in most (all?) Indo-European languages where it expresses an undefined connection between two (or more) nouns. For example, partitive and possessive genitives mean different things, but they both indicate a relation between the main noun and the genitive noun. Conversely, the Greek subjunctive is used for contrafactual conditional clauses and hortatory sentences, among other uses. The connection is that they use the same grammatical form, not that the usages have an inherent grammatic similarity.

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

If I were to choose only one favorite, I'd select conditional with subjunctive clauses. Counterfactuals are fun.
Present subjunctive makes you sound like a pirate! "Now I be sailing, mateys!"

Moods seem very poorly defined. Things seem to get fuzzy around the edges. Is that just something that's recognized as the way things work?
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

Sir Novelty Fashion

Postby Sir Novelty Fashion » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:14 pm UTC

Can't really give a favourite, but I hate the Optative.
The art of advertisement, after the American manner, has introduced into all our life such a lavish use of superlatives, that no standard of value whatever is intact.

TepidCoder

Postby TepidCoder » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:12 am UTC

I love Deliberative, Deontic and deductive moods. Almost like digging for something more or going deeper
I dislike Hypothetical and epistemic. Just sound weak to me

Return to “Language/Linguistics”