Love/hate

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

leonard3314
Location: i think its called "Seattle"....something like that

Love/hate

Postby leonard3314 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:26 am UTC

So I've been thinking about this on and off for a few years now and I would love to get some interweb opinions going on this. It sort of falls in with language (or at least the intangible that we attempt to describe with language) and i couldn't find a better place to post. I don't mean to offend, and please just use this topic as fun debate. No overreacting. Anyway here it is.

So what is the opposite of love? You may be inclined to respond "hate" without much thought. That's and easy one right; I love freedom and I hate terrorism! (obviously context has a large factor) Right? Some people may not respond so quickly. "Hmmm, opposite of love...?" It's kind of tough really. Well I've spoken to a few people and there seems to be a general consensus that apathy is the opposite of love. That isn't too farfetched. The opposite of being filled with an emotion that impels you to be close to another, is the feeling of absolute non-caring. Instead of wanting to be with someone always, you have no feeling towards that person at all. Being filled with an emotion is the opposite of being void of that same emotion. I only reiterate because I would like you to agree with me; at least on some level (however insignificant) because my next point relies on you agreeing with the previous.

What is the opposite of hate? Obviously you can see where I am going with this but stay with me. I would like you to consider apathy as the opposite of hate. Surely if you absolutely despise someone's presence, the complete opposite of that is utterly not caring if they are near you or not. Here is where I quote a previous point which I posed, being filled with an emotion is the opposite of being void of that same emotion.

So I come to a sort of conclusion. If two words share the same antonyms, are they not synonyms?

I would like to start this by saying that I do not believe love and hate to be the same emotion, I am simply asking if they are deeply connected to each other in some way.
How many times a month do you switch from loving to hating your best/girl/boyfriend and parents?

Anyway I would like to hear what you all think. If anyone cares to reply to my nonsense. :)

Makri

Re: Love/hate

Postby Makri » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:06 pm UTC

There are a few cases where antonymity really has reflexes in the grammar. In particular, those are antonymous adjectives that share the same scale, like "long" and "short", or "dry" and "moist".

This is not one of those cases, so I think debate about opposition is pretty much futile. You can construe the concepts involved in various different ways and along different parameters if you insist, so you won't find a clear meaning to the question of what the opposite is. Also, emotional concepts are extremely vague, which makes it all the worse.
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

MHD

Re: Love/hate

Postby MHD » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

I actually like to think that "opposite" is a pretty loose term that is not suitable to use in matters of the heart.

You see, when you hate someone, like, really hate them. I meant it. Really despise and loathe them and their every action with every atom of your being and bit of your biological information processing capacity, you have a certain emotional connection to the person. Mutual hate is actually a really strong bond, just like love. If your arch nemesis goes and disappears (or dies, I don't know) you will feel a kind of void, akin to breaking up. So hate is definitely not the opposite of love.

But I don't think apathy is either. Apathy is usually connected to sadness and depression, so it is still on an extreme tangent of emotion. I think complete indifference is the opposite of all other feelings. And the only one at that. But until we can quantifiably measure feelings the question stands a mystery.
EvanED wrote:be aware that when most people say "regular expression" they really mean "something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a regular expression"

Return to “Language/Linguistics”