Collective Nouns of Dinosaurs

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

theronk03

Collective Nouns of Dinosaurs

Postby theronk03 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:47 am UTC

There are collective nouns for the great majority of modern animals, but from what I can tell, the closest thing to a collective noun for any species of dinosaur is a herd or a pack, which are generic collective nouns and just the two don't seem like enough to account for millions upon millions of years worth of dinosaur species when there are conspiracies of ravens, murders of crows, falls of lambs, and congresses of baboons.

Are there any collective nouns for dinosaurs? And if there aren't, who/which body should be approached for a set of collective nouns to be properly established?

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Re: Collective Nouns of Dinosaurs

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:31 am UTC

Sometimes I think the main authority on these nouns is whoever made an internet list of them, but that's only because they sometimes seem so unlikely, like a crash of rhinos.

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:23 am UTC

theronk03 wrote:There are collective nouns for the great majority of modern animals, but from what I can tell, the closest thing to a collective noun for any species of dinosaur is a herd or a pack, which are generic collective nouns and just the two don't seem like enough to account for millions upon millions of years worth of dinosaur species when there are conspiracies of ravens, murders of crows, falls of lambs, and congresses of baboons.

Are there any collective nouns for dinosaurs? And if there aren't, who/which body should be approached for a set of collective nouns to be properly established?

and a parliament of rooks, the crow family have it made when it comes to collective nouns :D

i'm not sure what is wrong with Herd for Saurapodomprpha, Herd for Ornithischiaor (or Flock specifically for Ornithopoda), and Pack or perhaps Flock for Theropoda for example.

theronk03

Postby theronk03 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:49 pm UTC

The problem with using herd or pack for sauropodomorpha or theropoda is that those are both suborders, which would mean that while all theropods (basically any large two legged carnivourous dinosaur) come in packs, collective nouns for the avian dinosaurs go down to individual genus. The suborder crows and raven's belong to include everything from titmice to birds of paradise. And I doubt anyone would call a group of birds of paradise a murder. So why should we discriminate against the dinosaurs?

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:03 pm UTC

But what it's the real purpose out collective nouns anyway? A lot of them are remnants from hundreds of years ago, and are generally based on some aspect of the creature's habits when in a group, something we really don't know that much about of dinosaurs, apart from speculation, sure a lot of it is good and well researched speculation, but it's speculation all the same. If someone was building a language today, why would they come up with different collective nouns for every species anyway? It would be pointless, right?

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:58 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:51 am UTC

A thunder of apatosaurs.
A squadron of pterosaurs.
A brigade of allosaurs.
A break in through the window, hide behind the couch, wait until they’re all asleep, then disembowel them and eat their hearts of velociraptors.
A deathtrap of utahraptors.
An orchestra of parasaurolophini.
A clash of pachycephalosaurs.
A beatdown of ankylosaurs.
A phalanx of styracosaurs.
A saw of stegosaurs.
A plantation of diplodocids.
A flood of compsognathids.
A copse of brachiosaurs.
A genocide of spinosaurs.

Source.
wee free kings

Gigano

Postby Gigano » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:35 am UTC

A parliament of pterosaurs.
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:11 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:But what it's the real purpose out collective nouns anyway?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:10 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:But what it's the real purpose out collective nouns anyway?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Yeah sorry, I was typing on my phone, and I missed those bad swype predictions.

I meant to say
"What is the real purpose of [having so many different] collective nouns anyway?"

thc

Postby thc » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:34 am UTC

Since birds are dinosaurs, there's your answer. Collective nouns for some dinosaurs do exist.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:35 am UTC

thc wrote:Since birds are dinosaurs, there's your answer. Collective nouns for some dinosaurs do exist.

birds evolved from dinosaurs, but birds aren't dinosaurs,
dinosaur means terrifying lizard, are birds terrifying lizards? no.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:23 am UTC

thc wrote:Since birds are dinosaurs, there's your answer. Collective nouns for some dinosaurs do exist.

I would say that 'terrifying lizard' doesn't fit the taxon very well anyway. Most dinosaurs were probably not that terrifying and they're much less related to lizards than to modern birds. If you ask me, 'bird' is just another word for 'dinosaur'. That early birds still had teeth, didn't always have feathers and mostly couldn't fly is of secondary importance. ;)

A bit more serious now: of course, I agree that for those early birds the word 'bird' doesnt' fit very well intuitively. Still, if you think it through the word 'bird' is more applicable than 'terrifying lizard'. On the other hand, we also use 'dinosaur' to refer to several other (extinct) branches of reptiles, so under a wider, paraphyletic sense of 'dinosaur' birds are definitely not the same as dinosaurs. But speaking of a 'flock of dinosaurs' still seems reasonable to me.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:43 am UTC

Jplus wrote:

I would say that 'terrifying lizard' doesn't fit the taxon very well anyway. Most dinosaurs were probably not that terrifying and they're much less related to lizards than to modern birds. If you ask me, 'bird' is just another word for 'dinosaur'. That early birds still had teeth, didn't always have feathers and mostly couldn't fly is of secondary importance. ;)

A bit more serious now: of course, I agree that for those early birds the word 'bird' doesnt' fit very well intuitively. Still, if you think it through the word 'bird' is more applicable than 'terrifying lizard'. On the other hand, we also use 'dinosaur' to refer to several other (extinct) branches of reptiles, so under a wider, paraphyletic sense of 'dinosaur' birds are definitely not the same as dinosaurs. But speaking of a 'flock of dinosaurs' still seems reasonable to me.

yeah i mentioned flock in an earlier post, but "flock" (as a collective noun) implies that the group "flocks" (as a verb). the Gallimimus seen in Jurassic Park could easily be called a flock, but did they really behave like that? it's just speculation.

most collective nouns come from a verb describing the animals habits or behaviors, with dinosaurs it is difficult to say how they behaved so collective nouns are harder to choose.

Anonymously Famous

Postby Anonymously Famous » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:33 pm UTC

If we can't choose a word for a group of dinosaurs based on how they acted, why not just use the word "group"?

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:36 pm UTC

Anonymously Famous wrote:If we can't choose a word for a group of dinosaurs based on how they acted, why not just use the word "group"?

True wisdom here. :)
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

Or we could base it off our current observations of how Dinosaurs behave. For example:

A lump of dinosaurs.
A pile of dinosaurs.
A fossil of dinosaurs.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

dhokarena56

Postby dhokarena56 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:57 pm UTC

I propose a discombobulation of prostitutes.
Come join Dadapedia- the open-source Dadaist novel that anyone can edit.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:41 am UTC

A stereo of Styrachosauri?
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Anglish

Postby Anglish » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:03 am UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:Or we could base it off our current observations of how Dinosaurs behave. For example:

A lump of dinosaurs.
A pile of dinosaurs.
A fossil of dinosaurs.

Call them "a lump of velociraptors" and you might just become part of "a pile of humans."
Economy of speech is not a virtue, it's a sin because I never want to tell you once what I could say again and again and again and again and again...

mike_davidson

Postby mike_davidson » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:15 am UTC

What about " A herd of dinosaurs" ?

Logomachist

Postby Logomachist » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:47 pm UTC

I think the objection to that is that we don't know for sure whether there actually were herds of dinos. Granted, there are probably a few spesies we know congregated in herds (from preserved footprints) but most we can only speculate about.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”