Words you choose to mispronounce

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Daimon

Re: Words you choose to mispronounce

Postby Daimon » Thu May 31, 2012 5:20 pm UTC

I pronounce Pizza exactly as it is spelt.

Makri

Postby Makri » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:42 am UTC

I have doubts the phrase "exactly as it is spelled" is meaningful in the context of English words.
¬□(∀♀(∃♂(♀❤♂)⟷∃♂(♂❤♀)))

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:59 am UTC

I have a lot of Southernisms (like "crick" for creek) even though I've lived in urban/suburban Washington state my whole life.

Also, I sometimes over-pronounce R's... and in my case, even stick some extra ones in... like "Warshington". :P
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:43 pm UTC

So you're one of those I've heard so much about. I was beginning to think those traits were as real as merfolk and Indian gypsies.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:35 pm UTC

Milk.

I choose to pronounce it "Melk" even though I know that's not quite right. "Milk" sounds pretentious to me, and it's just harder to say.

And while this initially wasn't conscious, I do replace a lot of the t's I come across in the middle of words with double d's. So 'better' is 'bedder', 'water' is 'wadder', 'butter' is 'budder', etc. It's so much easier and quicker to say that way!

I've always heard that Midwesterners talk fast, so I wonder if that's somewhat helped by our accent as almost everything we do differently from most English speakers is to shorten things up or so make them easier to say (at least, all the weirdnesses I can think of)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:43 pm UTC

KestrelLowing wrote:I choose to pronounce it "Melk" even though I know that's not quite right.
The very notion of "not quite right" is dialect-dependent, and "melk" is the standard pronunciation in some places.

And while this initially wasn't conscious, I do replace a lot of the t's I come across in the middle of words with double d's. So 'better' is 'bedder', 'water' is 'wadder', 'butter' is 'budder', etc. It's so much easier and quicker to say that way!
Welcome to pretty much all North American English.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
KestrelLowing wrote:I choose to pronounce it "Melk" even though I know that's not quite right.
The very notion of "not quite right" is dialect-dependent, and "melk" is the standard pronunciation in some places.

Oh, I've just had several people that I grew up with yell at me for it even though a good portion of people do say 'melk'.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:56 pm UTC

If someone is shaming you for the way you speak your native language(s), they are usually objectively wrong.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:59 pm UTC

I wouldn't say shaming somebody is an objective thing to begin with, but yeah, they are objectively wrong if they tell you you're saying it "incorrectly".
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

I guess the weird thing is that the people who have been annoyed at this grew up in the exact same town I did.

McGrupp

Postby McGrupp » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:01 am UTC

Progress is "PRO-gress" not "PRAW-gress", in my part of the universe.

saus

Postby saus » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:18 am UTC

I pronounce water like wooder. I'm always conscious of it whenever I say the word away from home. I always have a quick dilemma, do I try to pronounce it the way most Americans do and possibly butcher it, or do I just say it like I always have and risk being misunderstood.

skullturf

Postby skullturf » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:58 am UTC

saus wrote:I pronounce water like wooder. I'm always conscious of it whenever I say the word away from home. I always have a quick dilemma, do I try to pronounce it the way most Americans do and possibly butcher it, or do I just say it like I always have and risk being misunderstood.

Let me guess, you're from somewhere around Philadelphia or Baltimore. (I moved from Canada to Delaware in 2010.)

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:39 pm UTC

Does anyone else pronounce Issue with an S and not an SH?
I don't know IPA, wee. I can give you ысю though.

siosilvar

Postby siosilvar » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:49 am UTC

skullturf wrote:
Eugo wrote:Group hug. It has become one word, grouphug, and we (whole family) are pronouncing it groo-fug. Because there's a bloody pee aitch in the middle of it.

I'm impressed you're able to uphold this habit when speaking our haphazard language. :D

That is one word I will never be able to pronounce correctly. I usually claim because it's due to the similarity to "half-assed" though.

Iulus Cofield wrote:If someone is shaming you for the way you speak your native language(s), they are usually objectively wrong.

Surely you mean "shyming". :P

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:45 pm UTC

farnsworth wrote:One of my friends pronounces the Hungary as "hung Gary." This is to ward off any "hungry Hungarian" jokes. (If anybody makes this sort of joke, she gets REALLY pissed off.)

FYI: She's Hungarian.

And nobody makes jokes about Gary, who's hung well?

Not consistently, but it can be fun for me to say:
The as thee when referring to a singleton object instead of a specific member of a class (actually thought these were different words when I was younger)
Candy as Khandhi (rhymes with Gandhi)
Syllable sil-LA-ble (as in: the EMPH-as-IS is On the WRONG sylLABle.)
Aunt as Uhnt (I think this is common somewhere, I just forget where)
Hyperbole as hyper-bowl
Arkansas as our-Kansas
Missouri as misery
Texaco as Te-hi-co (in imitation of Spanish pronunciation of Mexico)
Long island as "lawn guy land" (in mimicry of a local pronunciation of lahn-gii-land
Schedule as shed-u-el,sked-jul, shed-jul, sked-u-awl
whore with it's w

Ones to try in future:
Mankind as mank-ind
pronounce as prawn-ounce
Island as is-land (short i, pronounced s)
Parabola starting like paranormal and rhymed with Ebola.
Rhymed as rye-med
Syllable as silly-able
fixed as fix'ed
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

willaaaaaa

Postby willaaaaaa » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:13 pm UTC

mirror as MEE-yer
"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life." - Bill Watterson

MinotaurWarrior

Postby MinotaurWarrior » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:29 am UTC

Wednesday: I say "we-DENS-day". It's subtle, and very few notice it, but I say it this way to keep it closer to the root meaning (honoring the one-eyed self-hanged chief god of germanic mythology, however his name was said).

There are many words that begin with sounds that'd be spelled out either p-[vowel]-r or p-r-[vowel], such as prepare, propose, purpose, particular, and proportional. For many of them, I pronounce them as though the position of the r and the vowel were reversed, i.e. PUR-tic-u-lar. I'm aware of this, but continue on with it for no particular reason.

I only place once stress in compound words with greek or latin roots. So it's cen-TI-me-ter, not cen-TI-ME-ter.

Arlick

Postby Arlick » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:49 am UTC

For me, dishonour. I pronounce it "dish-on-OUR" to see if people are listening
I have some questions, and by that I mean one. Is anyone else afraid of toasters?
Go easy on my spelling, I am slightly dyslexic.

PurplePenguin

Postby PurplePenguin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:42 am UTC

I like to pronounce camembert with all the letters (camem-burt) simply to annoy my mother, who always used to comment on my dreadful French pronunciation.

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:37 am UTC

I don`t know IPA, but I`m going to try and get a chart here. Might do it wrong.

Instead of saying /māj/, I say /māʒ/

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:25 am UTC

What word do you pronounce that way?
---

(he/him/his)

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:42 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:What word do you pronounce that way?

Mage.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:47 am UTC

Okay, because your first example is closer to the IPA for the word "may". If you want the hard-J sound, add a d: /mādʒ/.

Better yet, use real IPA instead of the English-only long/short vowel characters.
---

(he/him/his)

drego642

Postby drego642 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:10 am UTC

Not exactly what this thread is for, but there is a phrase I find myself intentionally having to correctly pronounce: the french, coup de grâce or, "strike of mercy." I play D&D, and a lot of gamers - particularly the ones I play with - consistently use the popular mispronunciation, dropping the final consonant sound and making the phrase into coup de gras or, "strike of fat". I stubbornly pronounce it the correct way, waiting for one of them to challenge me so that I can correct them. :twisted:

I could just tell them they're wrong, but I'd rather them instigate it. :P

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:26 am UTC

Overcorrection isn't really that rare a problem for foreign words. They know there are rules that need to be followed, but aren't too strong on what those are or how they're applied.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

drego642

Postby drego642 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:31 am UTC

yurell wrote:Overcorrection isn't really that rare a problem for foreign words. They know there are rules that need to be followed, but aren't too strong on what those are or how they're applied.

That's true. I just like to keep true to the language of origin if I can.

That being said, for some reason I still pronounce anime, /ˈænɪmei/ rather than with a japanese "a" sound. I also used to pronounce manga, /ˈmæŋɡə/, but I've switched to using /ˈmaŋɡə/.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:51 am UTC

drego642 wrote:Not exactly what this thread is for, but there is a phrase I find myself intentionally having to correctly pronounce: the french, coup de grâce or, "strike of mercy." I play D&D, and a lot of gamers - particularly the ones I play with - consistently use the popular mispronunciation, dropping the final consonant sound and making the phrase into coup de gras or, "strike of fat". I stubbornly pronounce it the correct way, waiting for one of them to challenge me so that I can correct them. :twisted:

I could just tell them they're wrong, but I'd rather them instigate it. :P

You should DM and, if they try to make a "coup de gras" interpret it as them trying to perform improvised liposuction on their target. That'll larn 'em.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:02 pm UTC

It should be on the self, to more effectively penalize the mispronunciation.

DM: okay, roll a heal check
Player: What?
DM: Roll a d20 to heal.
Player: I don't... whatever, fine.
*rolls*
Player: Eighteen
DM: You have successfully removed 5 kilos of fatty tissue from yourself, but due to bad sterilization procedures, a secondary infection leaves you Diseased. Save ends.
Player:...
---

(he/him/his)

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:49 pm UTC

I don't know, I imagine performing surgical procedures even on an enemy would leave you vulnerable to attack for a while.
my pronouns are they

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:56 pm UTC

Yeah, but then it doesn't add any fun if you're using it on a sleeping enemy in an otherwise empty room.
---

(he/him/his)

drego642

Postby drego642 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:04 pm UTC

Nice suggestions! :lol:

I might end up introducing a new character: the mad cosmetic surgeon. He was once a simple surgeon, until his license was revoked for being... too zealous. He turned to the only profession left worth anything: mercenary work. He targets the enemy's body fat specifically, and cuts it out, REPO!-style. On undead, he performs reconstructive surgery which, them being undead, hurts them rather than healing them.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:42 pm UTC

Come across a bandit chief? Rework his face! Let's see how his bandit clan react to some random dude walking up and acting like their boss!
my pronouns are they

Sinus23

Postby Sinus23 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:23 pm UTC

I used say "ambinent" but not ambient for a week or so in 95 or 96. Until I got corrected. :oops:
And have always almost said "Antagonist" like it would sound if it would be spelled in Icelandic (Which would sound something like "Ant a gone ist"). So I take a short breath before I say that.

Edit: Shit!!! the thread is "Words you choose to mispronounce" :oops:

Umm...I got nothing. Carry on.

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:42 pm UTC

McGrupp wrote:Progress is "PRO-gress" not "PRAW-gress", in my part of the universe.

As far as I know, I say PRO-gress when I mean the verb, and PRAW-gress when I mean the noun.

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:26 am UTC

Are you sure you don't say "prə-GRESS" when it's a verb? "Progress" is what of those words where the verb and noun are often/usually/always distinguished by stress.

Eugo

Postby Eugo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:22 am UTC

Something I choose to pronounce not as the natives do: latin. I pronounce it in classical, as if the vowel shift never happened, -tio never became -shiow, -cia never became -sha, and Caesar never became seezer.
United we stand politically corrected, divided we fall in love

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:47 am UTC

The board game Dominion, with its many repetitions of the names of a small number of cards, is particularly conducive to a group's adopting a set of characteristic mispronunciations.

Moat => Mo-ut.
Duchy => Dookie.
Laboratory => Laboratoire (links Mitchell and Webb).
Village => vlaydge.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:26 am UTC

I haven't said strategy in nearly ten years. It feels wrong now; I can only say strategery. Same with Canadia.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:56 am UTC

I will say Canadia as long as they insist on calling them Canadians. My mind makes more sense of that. (I've probably said that already.)
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”