Words you choose to mispronounce

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

eSOANEM
:D

Re: Words you choose to mispronounce

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:38 am UTC

I'm not sure if I've said this before either, but I also say Canadia. Clearly it would be Canadan instead of Canadian if it was meant to be pronounced any other way. :roll:
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:I'm not sure if I've said this before either, but I also say Canadia. Clearly it would be Canadan instead of Canadian if it was meant to be pronounced any other way. :roll:

Ah yes, just like Fijia, Egyptia and Irania.

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

distractedSofty wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:I'm not sure if I've said this before either, but I also say Canadia. Clearly it would be Canadan instead of Canadian if it was meant to be pronounced any other way. :roll:

Ah yes, just like Fijia, Egyptia and Irania.

I think I'm going to start using all of these now, thanks. :P

(More seriously, the difference is that these simply append a suffix while "Canadian" actually changes the root before adding the suffix)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

Like Norwegian/Glaswegian, French (rather than Francish), German (rather than Germanian), Spanish (rather than Spainish), and so on.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

I pronounce glamour with a french ou, which I recently read was wrong; and which I don't plan to correct.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Like Norwegian/Glaswegian, French (rather than Francish), German (rather than Germanian), Spanish (rather than Spainish), and so on.

I say Norwegia about 50% of the time I'm referring to the country. Canadia is a good 85% of the time.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:34 am UTC

I've always pronounced the word "template" as /ˈtɛmˌplət/ (TEM-plet), but recently I've noticed everyone around me pronouncing it /ˌtɛmˈpleɪt/ (tem-PLATE). This is bugging me.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:49 am UTC

I've never heard it with the accent on the second syllable. I have heard /ˈtɛmˌpleɪt/. I would say that I usually pronounce the second syllable with a schwi or a schwa.

Which reminds me, I pronounce "monster" as /mʌnstɚ/. All the pronunciations guides I've checked have /mɑnstɚ/ or similar, and I have never seen my version listed as an alternative. But I listen to the pronunciation example on wiktionary, and I swear to me it sounds like /mʌnstɚ/.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:04 am UTC

Derek wrote:I listen to the pronunciation example on wiktionary, and I swear to me it sounds like /mʌnstɚ/.
Yeah, that does actually sound closer to [ʌ] than [ɑ], though it sounds more like [ɔ] to me than to either of those. So if he has the cot-caught merger, it's entirely possible he analyzes it as /ɑ/.

Do the words "monster" and "Munster" sound the same when you pronounce them, then?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:21 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Derek wrote:I listen to the pronunciation example on wiktionary, and I swear to me it sounds like /mʌnstɚ/.
Yeah, that does actually sound closer to [ʌ] than [ɑ], though it sounds more like [ɔ] to me than to either of those. So if he has the cot-caught merger, it's entirely possible he analyzes it as /ɑ/.

Do the words "monster" and "Munster" sound the same when you pronounce them, then?

Yes, but it's irrelevant since Munster is a word that I see and hear so rarely that mentally it has no pronunciation of it's own, it's simply categorized as "homonym of monster".

Also, that sample doesn't sounded rounded at all to me. Compare with these vowel examples.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

RP here

I say (as I believe is standard in RP) /ˑtɛmpleɪ̯t/ and /ˑmɒnstə/. I say Munster as /ˑmɐnstə/

(note, the /nst/ cluster is kind of between [nst] and [ntst] in actual speech for me because I tend to drop the nasalisation a little before my tongue moves)
my pronouns are they

Paradigm_Arsonist

Postby Paradigm_Arsonist » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:44 am UTC

When in doubt as to how to pronounce a word, I will sometimes increase the risk of mispronouncing if that decreases the risk of mispronouncing it in a way that would risk portraying myself as belonging to a category of person that I do not want to be associated with.

I can get very conscious of the stereotypes that people may apply to me.

LadyMondegreen

Postby LadyMondegreen » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:34 am UTC

I pronounce floutist flautist (thanks for the correction eSOANEM) as Flute - ist instead of Flout - ist.

It's just such an ugly word if you pronounce it properly.

Floutist would be a wonderful word if it was describing someone who flouted things, but it's not and I haven't found occasion to use it this way.

I also mispronounce bagel, but that tends to be because my mouth is full of delicious breadiness and I shouldn't be speaking.
Last edited by LadyMondegreen on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:17 am UTC

Erm, I think that your aesthetic concerns may be due to a misspelling. The word is flautist and is pronounced (at least in RP, I can't really generalise) with an /ɔː/ not an /aʊ̯/ (the vowel in bought not the vowel in flout).

Interestingly, the word flout's etymology is uncertain, but it has been suggested that it might come from flute.
my pronouns are they

LadyMondegreen

Postby LadyMondegreen » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:42 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Erm, I think that your aesthetic concerns may be due to a misspelling. The word is flautist and is pronounced (at least in RP, I can't really generalise) with an /ɔː/ not an /aʊ̯/ (the vowel in bought not the vowel in flout).

Interestingly, the word flout's etymology is uncertain, but it has been suggested that it might come from flute.

I've never spelled it before, and didn't look it up. Sorry, my bad. The pronunciation I know comes from American English, because the only flute players I've ever discussed this with have been American.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:05 am UTC

Ah, fair enough. I'd assumed the difference in pronunciation had come from spelling rather than from dialectal differences. I can see why pronouncing it with an /aʊ̯/ would not be so nice.
my pronouns are they

O Choco

Postby O Choco » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Ah, fair enough. I'd assumed the difference in pronunciation had come from spelling rather than from dialectal differences. I can see why pronouncing it with an /aʊ̯/ would not be so nice.

American here, I've only ever heard it pronounced /'flaʊ̯ɾɪst/, but /'flɔːɾɪst/ does sound more pleasant; to my ears, more pleasant even than /'flu:ɾɪst/, which has always been my preferred pronunciation.
http://prosepage.com
MODEST MOUSE wrote:Oh, and we carried it all so well
As if we got a new position
Oh, and we owned all the tools ourselves
But not the skills to make a shelf with
Oh, what useless tools ourselves.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

I generally try to mispronounce foreign words as if they were American-English words (in the manner that children are taught to sound out words), as a self-mockery of American stereotypes I suppose...

e.g., EYE-talian food includes MINE-strone soup and la-sag-nee, whereas Mexican food includes fa-jai-tas, ja-LAP-ee-nose, and goo-a-camel.

Also, I (sometimes inadvertantly, but now usually on purpose) use the wrong form for past tenses of verbs: my favorite one is remind >> remound.

EDIT: Oh, and "union" is pronounced like most people pronounce onion.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

I pronounce cello with an s. The correct pronunciation has always struck me as comically pompous, like saying ciao instead of bye.

Also hypo-thesis.

Oh, and cliche has two syllables.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:I pronounce cello with an s. The correct pronunciation has always struck me as comically pompous
Oh, and cliche has two syllables.

You lack internal consistency.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

Nah, I do mangle the pronunciation so it rhymes with bay.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

How else would you pronounce that? I mean, the vowel sound in English "bay" isn't exactly the same as the vowel sound in French "cliché" - but it's a reasonable Anglicisation.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

You could pronounce it the unreasonable way! In any case Wiktionary thinks two syllables is standard so nothing to see here, I guess.

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

I don't believe I've ever heard a pronunciation of cliche other than /kli ʃei/.

mathmannix wrote:Also, I (sometimes inadvertantly, but now usually on purpose) use the wrong form for past tenses of verbs: my favorite one is remind >> remound.

I am convinced that "mound" should be the past tense of the verb "to mind", as in, "I would not have mound if you came". "Minded" just sounds ridiculous.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

Stick to your guns and see if it catches on. After all, that's how we have "caught" and (for many people) "snuck" and probably a number of other irregular forms that follow the same pattern as a group of verbs that was already irregular.
---

(he/him/his)

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:EYE-talian
Envelope Generator wrote:I pronounce cello with an s.
I hate you.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:27 am UTC

Yeah, all the cool kids say /ʃɛlɔ/.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

O Choco

Postby O Choco » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

I tend towards using irregular past tense forms**; learnt for learned, spelt for spelled, leapt for leaped, drug for dragged etc. I don't know if that's really a mispronunciation since I tend to use the accepted pronunciation for the irregular plurals. I've noticed, though, that I tend to use burned for the past tense of burn and burnt for the adjective form.

Also, I pronounce bury as /'bʌri/*, rhymes with Murray whereas most people in my area have the merry-marry-Mary merger and pronounce it as /bɛri/. This was originally a spelling pronunciation (because it made no sense to me as a child to pronounce -ury as -airy), but I later learned that this is a more "correct" pronunciation, diachronically.
I also tend to pronounce the l in words like calm, palm, balm, etc. For a long time I had never heard the word salve spoken so I pronounced it there as well.

*EDIT: Note that ʌ in my dialect is quite central, it would probably be better represented as /bɜri/, or a rhotacized shwa.

**EDIT2: Dear lord, that went up for weeks as irregular plurals.
Last edited by O Choco on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:I (sometimes inadvertantly, but now usually on purpose) use the wrong form for past tenses of verbs: my favorite one is remind >> remound.

I realized another one yesterday - my wife feld the clothes. That just feels right to me. Discuss.

Oh, also I pronounce the b at the end of words that end with 'mb' - lamb, thumb, etc. I have never believed it to be completely silent.

EDIT: due to my linguistic choices as detailed above, the fact that I have "pole/pull/poll" and "pin/pen" mergers that my wife does not, and the fact that I think "theater" rhymes with "cheddar", I am apparently banned from teaching our daughter English.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

English is not my native language, and I too pronounce the b in lamb and thumb, I think that's how we were taught as well. I'm sure I've also always heard it like this, but now I'm doubting my ears.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

Native speakers here in the US don't, certainly, but I think there's sometimes a perceived lingering on syllables with silent letters. I think spelling can have an effect on pronunciation that slips well below the level of distinguishing phonemes, but I've doubted it, too, and I wish there was an obvious way to set up a blind "taste test."

I know nothing about the Dominican accent in English, though. = /
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 am UTC

I think the final "b" is silent in the vast majority of English accents, and has been for a long time. But spelling pronunciations are definitely a thing, and it would not be surprising if some speakers brought back the "b" in their idiolects based on the spelling. I know this pattern is pretty common for the "l" in words like "palm" and "calm".

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:04 am UTC

It's not the t/d I like to switch up, I like to drop the t sound when a word has nt in it. So printer sounds like prinner, and winter sounds like winner.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:14 am UTC

I imagine, though, that you only do that in words whose stress pattern would have a flapped /t/ if the <n> weren't there. As in, "pritter" would have the "city water" sound, while both "return" and "intern" have fully pronounced /t/.

Students often pick up on this pattern in my own pronunciation of "twenty", asking whether I'm saying "twenny" or "twenTea". They're always unsatisfied with the response that it simply matters how carefully I pronounce it.
---

(he/him/his)

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:08 am UTC

Derek wrote:I think the final "b" is silent in the vast majority of English accents, and has been for a long time. But spelling pronunciations are definitely a thing, and it would not be surprising if some speakers brought back the "b" in their idiolects based on the spelling. I know this pattern is pretty common for the "l" in words like "palm" and "calm".

Oh, definitely. I just wonder, too, how commonly there are spelling pronunciations that, as CRS is saying, are just subtle enough not to be sure. Like, it wouldn't necessarily be a voicing of the b, but more careful enunciation of the m or a lengthening of the a.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

O Choco

Postby O Choco » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:17 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I imagine, though, that you only do that in words whose stress pattern would have a flapped /t/ if the <n> weren't there. As in, "pritter" would have the "city water" sound, while both "return" and "intern" have fully pronounced /t/.

Students often pick up on this pattern in my own pronunciation of "twenty", asking whether I'm saying "twenny" or "twenTea". They're always unsatisfied with the response that it simply matters how carefully I pronounce it.

Living in the american south this was fairly common, along with pin-pen merger, so that you'd have "twenty" pronounced as "twinny" [twɪnɪ]. My boss once asked me for a pin and I handed her one off the cork board next to me; she just gave me an frustrated look and said "an ink pin, silly."

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:44 am UTC

O Choco wrote:My boss once asked me for a pin and I handed her one off the cork board next to me; she just gave me an frustrated look and said "an ink pin, silly."

Did you reply: "Please don't call me Sally."? :)

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:
O Choco wrote:My boss once asked me for a pin and I handed her one off the cork board next to me; she just gave me an frustrated look and said "an ink pin, silly."

Did you reply: "Please don't call me Sally."? :)

"Silly" -> "Sally" isn't a thing in Southern American English, so I don't really see how that would work.

jasc15

Postby jasc15 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

EN-thal-py, rather than en-THAL-py. Taking a thermodynamics class, and the professor made a point of telling us the latter is the correct pronunciation. I've been saying the former so long, and I still say it in class. He doesn't seem to mind, though.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:43 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:I pronounce cello with an s.

Oh, I thought I'd point out that, although Monticello (Jefferson's home in Virginia, near where I live now) is pronounced with a 'ch' in the middle (incorporating the standard pronunciation of the instrument), Monticello, Indiana, close to where I grew up, is pronounced mon-ti-sell-o. As are many other Monticellos, if Wikipedia is to believed. This seems to be part of the drift of pronouncing local places differently than the places they were named after - we have lots of these in the Midwest, such as Notre Dame (NO-ter/der dame), IN, Nevada (na-VAY-da), OH, and Cairo (KAY-ro), IL. I assume these originated as correctly pronounced places, then were later mispronounced by people who only knew the spelling... or else were originally mispronounced by their founders who didn't know how to pronounce the original places.

Return to “Language/Linguistics”