Newspeak practice

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Quizatzhaderac

Newspeak practice

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:17 pm UTC

Hello everyperson,
newspeak is plusfun. In this talk we will have goodchance for practice.

For those who unknow what newspeak is: newspeak is the doubleplusgood language created by the party to make crimethink unpossible.

Newspeak is differfull than oldspeak in the these ways:

No "antonyms". The word with the ungood "connotation" is dropped. The good word is used with "un-" anteadded.

Plussimple conjugation: "good", "gooder", "goodest". "sing", "singed", "haved signed"

Adjective strongmaking is dided with "plus" and "doubleplus". No plusstrong adjectives ("great") or strongmaking adverbs ("very")

"-full" is postadded to a word to make an "adjective"; like oldspeak "-y"

"-wise" is postadded to a word to make an "adverb"; like oldspeak "-ly"

No undo words. A thing is what it dos. Use "I have a think", not "I have a thought"

Lastwise, unelfs are funfull. Newspeak is language for duckspeak! :)

Spoiler:
In real English:This is meant to be a silly thread where newspeak is used.
The rules for use are as follows:
  • No antonyms. The word with the negative connotation is dropped and replaced with the positive word prefixed with "un-" so the word for "bad" is "ungood"
  • Minimal synonyms. If two words are interchangable, keep only the simpler one. So drop "purchase" for "buy". Yes, this does cause loss of meaning.
  • Verbs are all conjugated the same. "sing", "singed", "haved signed"
  • Nouns and verbs are the same part of speech. Like how "run" is both a noun and verb. "think" covers both thinking and thoughts.
  • All adjectives use "er" and "est" consistentely. "good", "gooder", "goodest"
  • "plus" and "doubleplus" are used to intensify adjectives. "plusgood" would cover "very good" and "great". "doubleplusgood" covers "extremely good" and "awesome"
  • "-full" is used as a suffix to make a noun/verb and adjective
  • "-wise" is used as a suffix to make an adjective an adverb

It's not in explicitly in the book, but I'm going say we should also avoid using the concepts of opinion or belief.

I'm also going to assume any politics or trolling are just someone in character. The language lends itself to political trolling quite well.

Optionally link any constructions that might be confusing to an English definition.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

eSOANEM
:D

Re: Newspeak practice

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:25 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:Plussimple conjugation: "good", "gooder", "goodest". "sing", "singed", "had signed"

I think this is unright. Goodspeak is plussimple. I make plusclear: oldspeak "good", "better", "best" is newspeak "good", "gooder", "goodest". Samewise, oldspeak "sing", "sang", "had sung" is newspeak "sing", "singed", "singed".
Last edited by eSOANEM on Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

tesseraktik

Postby tesseraktik » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:02 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:Plussimple conjugation: "good", "gooder", "goodest". "sing", "singed", "had signed"

I think this is unright. Goodspeak is plussimple. I make plusclear: oldspeak "good", "better", "best" is newspeak "good", "plusgood", "doubleplusgood". Samewise, oldspeak "sing", "sang", "had sung" is newspeak "sing", "singed", "singed".
I think you are unright. If two things are plusgood, one thing can anywise be gooder than one other thing.

I questionthinking: Are the words "is" and "am" and "are" and "were" and "be" and "been" in Newspeak? Or do a Newspeaker say other things?
ni'o mi nelci le zirpu sovmabrnornitorinku
Spoiler:
++$_ wrote:What's a "degree"?

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:50 pm UTC

I am malquoted. I speaked that oldspeak "better" is newspeak "gooder" ante your post.
my pronouns are they

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:17 am UTC

tesseraktik wrote:I questionthinking: Are the words "is" and "am" and "are" and "were" and "be" and "been" in Newspeak? Or do a Newspeaker say other things?

I think newspeak collectword nine (printed 1978) keeped oldspeak wordforms of "be", "have" and "do". Newspeak collectword tenty-one (printed 1984) used "is", "have" and "do" as base for all wordforms.

In newspeak tenty-one "is", "am", "are", "were", "be" and "been" is "is", "is", "is", "ised", "is", and"ised", ordersame.

eSOANEM: I meaned oldspeak "had sung" is newspeak "haved singed". Newspeak have pastpast use, but no pastpast wordforms. My use of "had" in newspeak "had singed" is maldo.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:55 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

tesseraktik

Postby tesseraktik » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:36 am UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
tesseraktik wrote:I questionthinking: Are the words "is" and "am" and "are" and "were" and "be" and "been" in Newspeak? Or do a Newspeaker say other things?

I think newspeak collectword nine (printed 1978) keeped oldspeak wordforms of "be", "have" and "do". Newspeak collectword ten-one (printed 1984) used "is", "have" and "do" as base for all wordforms.

In newspeak ten-one "is", "am", "are", "were", "be" and "been" is "is", "is", "is", "ised", "is", and"ised", ordersame.
I understand. Thank you!

Quizatzhaderac wrote:just no pastpast wordforms. My use of "had" in newspeak "had singed" is ungood-do.
I malunderstand the word "just". Please explain it.
eSOANEM wrote:I am malquoted. I speaked that oldspeak "better" is newspeak "gooder" ante your post.
I apologize for malreporting, goodfriend!
Spoiler:

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:57 am UTC

Newspeak is doubleplus ungood (or doubleplus bad)

I don't know which one to use; I'd assume good. My problem with it, is that I try too hard to come up with more complex sentences with more meaning in them, so I don't sound like I don't know how to talk by way of Newspeak. I can't think of a single way to do it well; and then I remember it's Newspeak, and that's the point.

tesseraktik

Postby tesseraktik » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:28 pm UTC

Daimon wrote:Newspeak is doubleplus ungood (or doubleplus bad)
The word "bad" is a sign of doubleplusungood oldthink and it is reasonwise crimetalk. Come back when you is a goodthinker.
Spoiler:

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:56 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:[
eSOANEM: I meaned oldspeak "had sung" is newspeak "haved singed". Newspeak have pastpast use, just no pastpast wordforms. My use of "had" in newspeak "had singed" is ungood-do.

Apologies. Chancewise, when the new dictionary is published, it will never have existed.

Daimon wrote:I don't know which one to use; I'd assume good. My problem with it, is that I try too hard to come up with more complex sentences with more meaning in them, so I don't sound like I don't know how to talk by way of Newspeak. I can't think of a single way to do it well; and then I remember it's Newspeak, and that's the point.

Quiet crimethinker! You continue oldspeaking and the thinkpol will take all of us.
my pronouns are they

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:21 pm UTC

tesseraktik wrote:
Daimon wrote:Newspeak is doubleplus ungood (or doubleplus bad)
The word "bad" is a sign of doubleplusungood oldthink and it is reasonwise crimetalk. Come back when you is a goodthinker.

Big brother is doubleplus ungood.
Oldspeak is goodthink.
Newspeak is doubleplus ungoodthink.

I can't do this.

tesseraktik

Postby tesseraktik » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:33 pm UTC

Daimon wrote:Big brother is doubleplus ungood.
That is unlogicfull. Big Brother is good and reasonwise can not be ungood.
Daimon wrote:Oldspeak is goodthink.
That is untruthfull. Limitwise some Oldspeak is goodthink. Newspeak is Oldspeak that is lacking crimethink.
Daimon wrote:Newspeak is doubleplus ungoodthink.
That is unpossible. The Party is saying that Newspeak is good.

You is speaking unlogicwise, crimethinker. Logicfull crimethink is unpossible.
Spoiler:

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:53 pm UTC

Daimon wrote:I can't do this.

Many proles, Eurasians, and Eastasians can't newspeak. Have you tryed Ptyepe?

tesseraktik wrote:I malunderstand the word "just". Please explain it.

My maldo. "just" is oldspeak sameword of "but"

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:04 pm UTC

What is happening in votecraft where you live? In Ameriland we are ante prole-decision between an unwhite person and a moron.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:56 am UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:What is happening in votecraft where you live? In Ameriland we are ante prole-decision between an unwhite person and a moron.

I plusfuncoughed.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:09 pm UTC

tesseraktik wrote:Limitwise some Oldspeak is goodthink. Newspeak is Oldspeak that is lacking crimethink.

I agree. Listen examplewise forwardhalf of this Oldspeak grouptalk. Be carefull to uncontinue after 150 secs or risk hearing unlogic regarding uneffectiveness of room 101.

Eugo

Postby Eugo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:15 am UTC

That's all nice, proles, you are getting ahead of yourselves (and any other selves) in this game. I'd just jump in with a real world question: is PC speak a kind of newspeak? The language which went through a political correctional facility has several attributes of a newspeak. It is introduced from some unidentified institution somewhere high; you find yourself in an awkward position if you use the old term a day after the new one was put in force (just as if you thought Oceania was in war with Eurasia, while as of that morning it was in war with Eastasia since forever, and you blurt a wrong slogan).

As usual, I have a list. Really, what happened with all those jungles, foreigners, stewardesses? Even workers are almost extinct (at Walmart, nobody works, they just associate there).
United we stand politically corrected, divided we fall in love

Pjotr

Postby Pjotr » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:08 am UTC

Eugo wrote:That's all nice, proles, you are getting ahead of yourselves (and any other selves) in this game. I'd just jump in with a real world question: is PC speak a kind of newspeak?
plusgoodwise. pc speak is newspeakfull oldspeak. function to prevent crimethink. votecraft stealthwise introduce goodspeak prevents ungood comparison with famous oldspeak book.
Last edited by Pjotr on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Every finger is touching and searching / Until your secrets come out,
In the dance, as it endlessly circles / I linger close to your mouth.
--
This sentence is as succinct as possible.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

Pjotr wrote:plusgoodwise. pc speak is newspeakwise oldspeak. function to prevent crimethink. votecraft stealthwise introduce goodspeak prevents ungood comparison with famous oldspeak book.

"Newspeakfull" is newspeak for oldspeak "newspeak-like". Plus, "function" is extra word for "use".

PC-speak comes not only from votecraft, but from market. People like jobs with plus important name. As in Simpsons when "Super Intendant" Chalmers becomed "Super Duper Intendant". Same, "secretary" becamed "administrative assistant"; but no-person says "administrative assistant of state" because "secretary of state" is now-wise doubleplus important.

Eugo's linked page wrote:
  • astrophysics -> rocket science
  • every day -> on a daily basis
  • I will ~ now -> what I'm going to do now is I'll ~
  • neurology -> brain science
Most examples is good. Some examples is weird. Who dos "every day" offend? Who speaks "Brain science"?

Pjotr

Postby Pjotr » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Pjotr wrote:plusgoodwise. pc speak is newspeakwise oldspeak. function to prevent crimethink. votecraft stealthwise introduce goodspeak prevents ungood comparison with famous oldspeak book.
"Newspeakfull" is newspeak for oldspeak "newspeak-like".
good call, error unexists.
"function" is extra word for "use".
good/ungood status of either extra word unclear, point to collectword to define as unexisting?
PC-speak comes not only from votecraft, but from market. People like jobs with plus important name. As in Simpsons when "Super Intendant" Chalmers becomed "Super Duper Intendant". Same, "secretary" becamed "administrative assistant";
plususe of goodspeak in votecraft and market, affirmative. origin goodspeak unclear, votecraft follow market or vv?
but no-person says "administrative assistant of state" because "secretary of state" is now-wise doubleplus important.
"secretary" meaning unclear in oldspeak is doubleplusgood example of need for newspeak.
--

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

Pjotr wrote:good/ungood status of either extra word unclear, point to collectword to define as unexisting?

Extra words is ungood. In oldspeak, extra words sometimes same, sometimes unsame. In newspeak, words is alltimes certain. Uncertain words allow thoughtcrime. Extra words is also extra work and extra think.

Some PC speak is good, some is ungood. PC speak is good for party when crimethink is removed.

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:43 am UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:good for party

Carefull. Good is always good for party.

Pjotr

Postby Pjotr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Pjotr wrote:good/ungood status of either extra word unclear, point to collectword to define as unexisting?
Extra words is ungood.
affirmative. for new collectword, should 'function' or 'use' unexist?
--

Return to “Language/Linguistics”