Two interesting puzzles (1 easy, 1 unsolved)[Solutions,etc.]

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

gmgm

Two interesting puzzles (1 easy, 1 unsolved)[Solutions,etc.]

Postby gmgm » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:30 am UTC

This is the topic where solutions, thoughts, progress or anything else that would be a spoiler for the two puzzles (to see the puzzles thread click here) should be posted. Here are the puzzles again, just for reference:

1. The easy one:
welcome to the quiz! i hope you’re excited to get started. there aren’t any instructions for individual clues so just rely on your instincts and, with some luck, you’ll figure them out eventually. i’ll give you a little hint for this first one: the letter is lower-case, as is implied from the intentional lack of capital letters.

for a few of the clues it’s really quite clear what you need to do while others might seem like random nonsense at first. however, i promise you there is a logical solution to each of these, even if they’re a tad sudtle and not immediately apparent. take your time, try to spot patterns and make connections. sometimes you’ll have to look for what isn’t there rather than what is.

2. The unsolved one:

Code: Select all

A     Z
    R   K R T
B C N     H

C    D K R
  P        U
B T S      H
Last edited by gmgm on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

gmgm

Re: Two interesting puzzles (1 easy, 1 unsolved)[Solutions,e

Postby gmgm » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:39 am UTC

Here are the first solutions and thoughts, spoiler tags removed (first from ConMan, then my reply and additions):

ConMan wrote:
gmgm wrote:1. The first one is an easy one:

It certainly is, and it isn't subtle at all. Because it deliberately mis-spells "subtle" as sudtle to avoid using the letter "b" for the entire puzzle statement, as it is indeed the answer.

Further confirmed by the pattern that all other letters in the alphabet appear at least once.

ConMan wrote:
gmgm wrote:2. The second one I've not solved yet. You should read the first puzzle first, since it contains general advice or instructions for solving the other puzzles (these are all instructions we get). Again, the answer we are looking for should be in the form of one letter, either upper case or lower case.

I've got nothing for this one. Random thoughts:
1. Just taking boxes with a letter as black and those without as white, the squares don't seem to join into any meaningful shape in any configuration.
2. There are both vowels and consonants represented, and likewise a bunch of other common categorisations of letters (open vs closed, straight vs curved)
3. Presumably the locations of letters are significant, but similarly there's no obvious pattern there - nothing suggesting that columns or rows or boxes are splitting the letters somehow.
4. What unique letters are there? A, B x 2, C x 2, D, H x 2, K x 2, N, P, R x 3, S, T x 2, U, Z
5. No letter other than R appears more than twice, and never twice in the same box.
6. B appears in the same position in the two left-hand boxes, but no other letter does.
7. K and R appear in the same relative position in the two right-hand boxes, but no other pair of letters do, and H is not in the same position relative to them in those boxes (nor are B and C in the same relative position in their boxes). So probably nothing involving aligning the boxes via common letters.

Your thoughts are worth mentioning. Adding a little more about the positions of letters. Let's designate the boxes in each 3 by 3 square thus:

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

We can fill in all the letters that appear in each box:

D  ZCK AR
 K  RP  RTU
BB  CHT NSH

1. Of all 9 boxes only 1 and 4 are populated only once.
2. 7 is populated twice by the same letter, so we see that if we laid all 4 squares one over the other only the first column would be readable and match perfectly (the middle box would also have a readable 'R' over the 'P').
3. Only boxes 3, 5, 7 (the / diagonal) are populated exactly twice.

Something potentially significant comes when we consider the positions of the letters in the alphabet. We have:

1        26
      18    11 18 20
2  3  14       8

3        4  11 18
   16             21
2  20 19          8

1. For each square, max - min equal:

17   18
18   17

2. The sum of all numbers from all 4 squares equals 243=35

Pelli

Postby Pelli » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:38 am UTC

Not sure if relevant, but I recognise the first three three-letter combinations as...

...airport codes
ARN - Stockholm (Arlanda)
BCN - Barcelona
ZRH - Zurich

And the remainders would be
KRT - Khartoum
CPT - Cape Town
BTS - Bratislava
RUH - Riyadh
DKR - Dakar

Perhaps drawing lines between the cities could help.

Edit: I did it in google maps, can't tell if it's supposed to be something (see attachment). One could argue that most three-letter combinations are airport codes, but I think the fact that these cities are major ones means that it's significant.
Attachments
ArnBcnZrhKrtCptBtsRuhDkr.png

asdfex

Postby asdfex » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:30 pm UTC

... and with this it seems very likely the solution is
Spoiler:
'S' because those cities are located in Sweden, Spain, Switzerland, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Slovakia, Sudan and Senegal

gmgm

Postby gmgm » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:30 pm UTC

I think you two have cracked it. asdfex's solution looks reasonable. Good job both of you! I would never have solved this puzzle myself.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:27 am UTC

I got as far as recognizing they were airport codes. Didn't bother to list them all out to see if they had something in common before checking here.

Return to “Logic Puzzles”